Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/kchenoweth/status/966808187109339136

i am incredibly excited for this. Trial and Error had a great first season and instead of trying to do Lithgow's schtick with another comedic actor, going full Grey Gardens with television's pre-eminent suburban cougar who can belt if necessary is gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I miss the time when Kristin Chenoweth looked like a human being.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/kchenoweth/status/966808187109339136

i am incredibly excited for this. Trial and Error had a great first season and instead of trying to do Lithgow's schtick with another comedic actor, going full Grey Gardens with television's pre-eminent suburban cougar who can belt if necessary is gonna be great.

I totally presumed it got cancelled! I enjoyed the episodes I saw, was only thinking last night how I should pick it back up. Sweet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hope and vaseline posted:

When was that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The new Tick episodes are up already

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
drat Counterpart is just awesome. Early top 10 contender.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

Tell us more about how you think she looks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's the hollow cheeks. that just looks freaky man. and maybe not healthy? i don't know if she's had any work done or not.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

it's the hollow cheeks. that just looks freaky man. and maybe not healthy? i don't know if she's had any work done or not.

Brah that's done in post, it's called contouring.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Oh wow, I didn't realize the Stringer Bell/Barksdale/Omar story continued into S2 of The Wire. When I read the Wiki article that said each season deals with another element of Baltimore crime, I didn't realize there'd be carryover and figured it'd end there with D'Angelo and Avon going to prison. I'm glad there's more of these characters.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't remember anything about them in season 2. Season 2 is about a bunch of white people.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't remember anything about them in season 2. Season 2 is about a bunch of white people.

I'm only on episode 2 but Stringer and Avon have been in both. Episode 1 involves the one younger drug runner whose name escapes me but kinda looks like D'Angelo Barksdale going to Philadelphia to transport product back to Baltimore; Stringer had him tailed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dude, Bodie and D'Angelo look nothing alike.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Dude, Bodie and D'Angelo look nothing alike.

Eh, I guess not. I thought there was a faint resemblance early in the going.

Also, holy poo poo, it's Ray from Generation Kill.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Barksdale organization's story continues as a prominent subplot of Season 2 and they follow those characters to their natural conclusion. You get payoff with them. The show is very good about never really fully abandoning characters. You don't necessarily get a full ending on everyone because life goes on, but no one ever truly gets forgotten.

Its basically a lot of what the Wire is loved for. Fully living characters that they don't just write off.

Its just that each season's primary focus shifts and no one was really prepared for that in Season 2. And the jump from the Barksdales to the Pier was so pronounced that it really caught a lot of people off guard and threw a lot of people who was really investing in the one kind of show/characters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rocksicles posted:

Brah that's done in post, it's called contouring.

I agree with precision here, there’s something going on with her face that gives me that weird uncanny valley thing. She just looks so... sharp pointy. I don’t know. Even if she’s on a talk show or something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

The Barksdale organization's story continues as a prominent subplot of Season 2 and they follow those characters to their natural conclusion. You get payoff with them. The show is very good about never really fully abandoning characters. You don't necessarily get a full ending on everyone because life goes on, but no one ever truly gets forgotten.

Its basically a lot of what the Wire is loved for. Fully living characters that they don't just write off.

Its just that each season's primary focus shifts and no one was really prepared for that in Season 2. And the jump from the Barksdales to the Pier was so pronounced that it really caught a lot of people off guard and threw a lot of people who was really investing in the one kind of show/characters.

I maintain that Season 2 is one of the show's best. The Sobotkas are such well realised characters and the plight of the dock workers is so cutting and tragic all at the same time. I just imagine how they would be doing in 2018 and you know the situation would be even worse.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, if I’m not falling asleep to MST3K (4 times out of 5), I’m falling asleep to Retsuprae, Rifftrax, or TieTuesday videos.

The Rifftrax of Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn is the ace up my sleeve if I'm really having trouble falling asleep.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Rarity posted:

I maintain that Season 2 is one of the show's best. The Sobotkas are such well realised characters and the plight of the dock workers is so cutting and tragic all at the same time. I just imagine how they would be doing in 2018 and you know the situation would be even worse.

I've always considered season 2 to be the second best season after the 4th. I'm really due for a Wire rewatch, it's been years since I've seen it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
2 and 3 always fight it out for my second favourite, after 4 of course.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never liked the dock workers because the characters didn't leave a big impact for the rest of the series. The writers forgot about the working class the same way America did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One of my friends ranked the Wire seasons to me a couple weeks ago and he put 5 at the top :psyduck:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They must work at a newspaper

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I gotta say this season of Strike back started a bit awky... but it's loving great in the backend.

Episode 9 is a face melter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wire S2 is probably my #2 favorite as well, but it took until the second watch for me to get there.

Honestly, thinking about it The Wire just belonged to a different era of TV Watching before streaming and before even DVRs (Wikipedia tells me Tivo came around in '99 a couple of years before The Wire in '02 but at least I didn't get a DVR till later and most people I knew didn't). Hell it was a time at the very start of the "prestige TV" wave or reliable TV off of the Networks. It was a VERY difficult show to get into at the time because of all the dialect and world immersion as well as the pacing. I liked it, but I didn't fully love it or even really understand it until I watched an HBO marathon late into the season (at least as I remember it). Then when S2 came around it was this shock to be through into a whole new world with whole new characters and back to the week-by-week viewing. I actually think I gave up on it until another marathon before S3. I knew a lot of people who did.

Watching now not only do you have the benefit of the binge process that lets you fully immerse but you also go in knowing the show's reputation so knowing its worth the dive in. Back then it was just the new cop show from the guy who made Homicide on the network that made Sopranos and was in S2 of Six Feet Under. And the Shield was over on FX being like the exact opposite kind of cop show all fast paced and action.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 23, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I agree with precision here, there’s something going on with her face that gives me that weird uncanny valley thing. She just looks so... sharp pointy. I don’t know. Even if she’s on a talk show or something.
You can't defy gravity.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

I gotta say this season of Strike back started a bit awky... but it's loving great in the backend.

Episode 9 is a face melter.

Yea the first 2 episodes were kinda mediocre, but then it picks up from there and is real good. The hallway scene in episode 5 was :discourse:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jackie Earle Haley is so loving funny in The Tick oh my god

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea the first 2 episodes were kinda mediocre, but then it picks up from there and is real good. The hallway scene in episode 5 was :discourse:

Good to hear, I had kind of fallen off it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly, thinking about it The Wire just belonged to a different era of TV Watching before streaming and before even DVRs (Wikipedia tells me Tivo came around in '99 a couple of years before The Wire in '02 but at least I didn't get a DVR till later and most people I knew didn't).

They had a trailer set up across the street from Charlotte Motor Speedway for the 2002 Coke 600 which had Tivo demonstrators, which was the first time I saw Tivo/DVR. I was able to keep up with the Indy 500 using it and it was the greatest drat thing I'd ever seen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Jackie Earle Haley is so loving funny in The Tick oh my god

These new episodes are fantastic. Can’t wait for S2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

What the gently caress is this bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8B5dqjsZUs

Just ignore it, it's going to flop anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

The driver is full of poo poo and the passenger kicked Chevy.

Medium talent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CBJSprague24 posted:

They had a trailer set up across the street from Charlotte Motor Speedway for the 2002 Coke 600 which had Tivo demonstrators, which was the first time I saw Tivo/DVR. I was able to keep up with the Indy 500 using it and it was the greatest drat thing I'd ever seen.

Yeah, I can still remember the first time I went to a friend's house who had a Tivo and was just in awe of what it could do. No VHS's, no TV Guides, a way to catch things in games you just missed, a way to follow serial shows even if you couldn't be there to watch or record it every week. That had to be well after 2002. It was a different world.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Remember when you could get a series 2 tivo for like 200 bucks with lifetime support?

I think I finally chucked mine when I moved around 2012.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even though I'm a current TiVo owner, I will forever be bitter at them for suing ReplayTV out of existence. The commerical skip on my 2001 era box is still superior to what my Bolt can do today.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

still lollin about Chevy Chase getting stomped on by the side of a highway

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

At some point they went back to real guns firing blanks too. I have a feeling that early dummy guns might have been a location restriction.... just a thought though

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

loving finally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdAdEUmgVQ4
April 11th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

OH poo poo!