Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BlazeEmblem posted:

Two years.

Kyoko noticed that something was off with her body, but didn't realize what it was until the final trial.

And as far as I remember other material suggested Junko tried very hard to somewhat reverse their aging so they'd have a harder time noticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Imagine if Junko invented eternal youth while trying to carry out her despair plot.

She'd probably just destroy it, because despair.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

These moments were great.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

xxlicious posted:

Imagine if Junko invented eternal youth while trying to carry out her despair plot.

She'd probably just destroy it, because despair.

No, she'd keep it and not tell anyone just so she could pull it out at the moment it would most gently caress up someone's day.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Stroth posted:

No, she'd keep it and not tell anyone just so she could pull it out at the moment it would most gently caress up someone's day.

Danganronpa 4: Hope's Peak Pre-School

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Danganronpa 4: Hope's Peak Pre-School

I know this is a joke, but it's not really a spoiler to say that this is very nearly what happens with Ultra Despair Girls.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

FPzero posted:

I know this is a joke, but it's not really a spoiler to say that this is very nearly what happens with Ultra Despair Girls.

My favourite chapter was when the Super Duper Pre-School Level Rattle Shaker used their unique talents to charm a rattlesnake into killing the Super Duper Pre-School Level Napper and framed the Super Duper Pre-School Level Dog Petter for it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The SDPSL Napper was the best character. :smith:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FPzero posted:

Im so scared to look this game up because of everything people say about it.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Also, if you're not the type to normally watch the videos for whatever reason, please do so if just to hear "Cause it's a GAME!" so many times. It's really great.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: You're the only one!

: Hey...Fuyuhiko. You knew Peko for a long time, right?
: Yeah... Now that you mention it...it seems weird...
: No... Now that I think about it, it's definitely strange...!
: Strange...? What is...?
: Our school memories... About how many days worth were taken away!?

: As the creators of the Neo World Program, only the Future Foundation would know the details but...
: Around two or three years worth, I assume.
: Th-That long!?

: ...Peko and I have seen each other almost every single day of our lives. If we lost two years worth of memories, we would've noticed that we were older than we remembered...
: So...does that mean our memory loss is another one of Monokuma's lies...?
: Your refusal to accept your mutual memory loss is why you can't notice all the important parts...
: You've lost your memories. End of story. You guys are avatars who had their memories taken from them.

: Th-This is a virtual world...and we're...virtual avatars... Are you saying...we just have to accept that!?
: I...can feel my heartbeat... And I know what I smell like...
: So what do you call these things I'm feelin'? Are you sayin' these are all lies!?

Music fades out.

: Just because it's a game doesn't mean everything was a lie.

: Have you heard that when you're hypnotized to believe you've been burned, a burn mark will really appear?
: So if our brains believe something is real...it's no different than if it actually happened...?
: N-Now that you mention it...I did hear about a phenomenon quite similar to that.

: In a distant country, there was a certain experiment carried out on one of their prisoners... The prisoner was blindfolded, strapped to a bed, and had small wounds applied to his toes to drain his blood... That prisoner was left alone in the experiment room, as the sound of dripping blood echoed throughout the room.
: But in fact, his blood was not being drained. He was just...forced to listen to the sound of dripping water...but he believed he was bleeding to death...
: However, in spite of that...the prisoner still died.
: A-As expected of Miss Sonia! Your knowledge of state-sanctioned torture is amaaaazing!

: If a lie is a believable lie... You're saying it might become the truth?

: We're really just connected to machines and stuff, and...our consciousness was uploaded into here... So we genuinely believed that this game world was real.

: Then...the Jabberwock Island we've been livin' on...
: Of course, that's also a virtual world...

: That sea, that beach, the buildings, everything... It's all a virtual world created by the Neo World Program.

: It's just like this space we're in right now. What we see before us is a virtual environment created by the program... It looks real because our brains think it's real.

That's why...in the end...

...It was all just a creation. That's the truth...

The truth is...

The truth is it was all a lie.

That...is this world's truth.

: I-If everything's a lie... Then...what should we believe...?

Music cuts out.

: Who cares if it's a lie...?
: ...Hey, what are you getting at?

: I mean...if this is really a game world, everything that happened here took place inside the game, right?
: Ah! Then that must mean...!

: That's right... The killings we were forced to commit were part of some silly game.

: Everyone who was killed should still be alive in the real world!
: Oh yeah! Just 'cause they died in the virtual world doesn't mean they died in real life!
: S-So...you are saying everyone is still alive!?
: Yeah, that's it! Isn't that right, Monokuma!?

: Puhuhuhuhu...
: ...Wh-What's so funny?

: "If a lie is a believable lie, it might become the truth"... That's what you said earlier, Fuyuhiko.
: D-Don't tell me...you mean...!?
: The Neo World Program isn't just any game, it's next-gen software containing the ultimate reality.
: And speaking of that reality, if a player's avatar experiences death...

: Their brains inside their actual bodies will stop functioning too!
: What...!?
: Th-Then...everyone who died...
: It's not like their bodies are completely dead, so I can't say it's a true death but...

: That's why it's actually crueler instead. All that's left of them are empty husks.
: Are you saying...they will never awaken...again...?
: What the gently caress...?
: WHAT THE gently caress!?
: Well, nobody's gonna appreciate a game where you don't die when you're supposed to, right!?

: What game...!? That's not what we risked our lives for!
: Ah, if you want to be mad, please be mad at the Future Foundation. They're forcing you to play this game.
: ...Future Foundation?

: The people from the Future Foundation made us play this sick game!? Everything...was their doing!?
: Then...Monomi and Chiaki were...
: They betrayed the Future Foundation to protect us, and then...they were taken out...
: I see...so our real enemy is the Future Foundation!

The Future Foundation...is our real enemy...?

...Is that it? Is that really it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I forgot this beginning part and was kind of expecting Gundam's hamsters to be used as evidence.

Speaking of, what happened to them?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I forgot this beginning part and was kind of expecting Gundam's hamsters to be used as evidence.

Speaking of, what happened to them?

They ROM hacked Hamtaro and added the source code to the Neo World Program. Obviously.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
GDI guys we just went over this.
At least this time we'll prove it and then it can STOP COMING UP EVER AGAIN.

Monokuma started the killings. Period.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

God loving damnit. No, Future Foundation didn't do the killing school trip, Monokuma started that clusterfuck. In fact, if the Future Foundation had any actual say in the matter, I'm 100% sure you wouldn't be in this virtual world.

Weither they'd left you dead or alive...well, that depends on which group we're dealing with.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
At present, we're dealing with DR1 crew(?) and Makoto. Meaning he probably tried to save the "dead" people somewhere and hooked their bodies to life support minimum. The mole could easily be Nagito because ultimate despair brings out ultimate hope, just a question how his bullshit luck had it reach mainframe housing us.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Talow posted:

God loving damnit. No, Future Foundation didn't do the killing school trip, Monokuma started that clusterfuck. In fact, if the Future Foundation had any actual say in the matter, I'm 100% sure you wouldn't be in this virtual world.

Weither they'd left you dead or alive...well, that depends on which group we're dealing with.

'The Future Foundation is the enemy' is the single dumbest, most obviously false idea that the game just won't stop pushing.

But hey Monokuma said so so I guess it must be true!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As has been stated already, Monokuma is completely unrelated to the Future Foundation's shenanigans and is their enemy. With that being said, we have two factions:

- Usami and Chiaki bring the group to a virtual island for some purpose. While they do remove the group's memories, they have otherwise done nothing to them.
- Monokuma shows up, explicitly takes power from Usami, kills both after a while, and has the kids kill each other because he finds it funny or something.

Naturally, this is all the Future Foundataion's fault. But Monokuma is completely trustworthy and we can take everything he says completely seriously!

:shepicide:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I've just stopped caring at this point. The murder trials are interesting but the overarching plot of this game is even stupider than the first.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As has been stated already, Monokuma is completely unrelated to the Future Foundation's shenanigans and is their enemy. With that being said, we have two factions:

- Usami and Chiaki bring the group to a virtual island for some purpose. While they do remove the group's memories, they have otherwise done nothing to them.
- Monokuma shows up, explicitly takes power from Usami, kills both after a while, and has the kids kill each other because he finds it funny or something.

Naturally, this is all the Future Foundataion's fault. But Monokuma is completely trustworthy and we can take everything he says completely seriously!

:shepicide:

I mean, if someone kidnapped me, stole my memories and stuck me in the matrix, they’d definitely be my enemy. It’s not all about the killing game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cryohazard posted:

I've just stopped caring at this point. The murder trials are interesting but the overarching plot of this game is even stupider than the first.

This is the correct opinion of the games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: The Neo World Program was developed by...
: ...the Future Foundation, right?
: The ones who trapped us in here...
: It's all the Future Foundation's doing, right?
: Then the enemy is the Future Foundation!
: I mean, a group that would make a killing game...
: There's no way they're good guys!
: Then the Future Foundation is...
: ...truly an organization of evil!

Who's out enemy...? Is it the Future Foundation...?

: No, it's not the Future Foundation you guys, come on. They created the Neo World Program, but there was one thing that the program was never supposed to have in it: violence.

> Shoot "a killing game" with "Neo World Program"

: Originally, in the world created by the Neo World Program, a concept like violence never existed.
: Th-Then...why is there killin' goin' on!?
: The virus that invaded this program is forcing us to kill each other.
: C-Could it be...that virus is...?

: ...

: ...You're right. Until Monokuma appeared, this island was giving off a really peaceful vibe.

: Yeah...it didn't get weird until Usami was remodeled as Monomi...

: Monomi...what sort of role did such a lost girl like her have in this world...?
: Hey, don't change the subject!

But...that's also something we need to clear up... Monomi's, or Usami's, role that she had in this world was...

> Observer

: She was the Observer of the Neo World Program, isn't that right?
: That's right! She was an NPC that was assigned the role of Observer!
: NPC...? What's that?
: Non-player character. A character that's not controlled by a person... It's different from avatars like us...

: Monomi's existence was created entirely by the program, just to monitor the fifteen of you.
: P-Please wait... Did you just say fifteen people?
: Have you forgotten how to count? We're sixteen people in total.
: He was probably excluding the other Observer...
: Huh? Another Observer?

The Future Foundation's other observer... That has to be referring to *that* person.

> Chiaki Nanami

: Aside from the fifteen participants, there were two Observers in the Neo World Program. One of them was Monomi, and the other one was...
: Could it have been Chiaki?
: Yeah...you're right...

: You're saying...Chiaki was an NPC!?
: So you're saying she was just a program... And she didn't actually exist in real life?
: Th-Then...she wasn't human...?

She didn't exist at all...?

Not human...?

: No, that's not it! Chiaki was really alive...!

: Even if she was a virtual existence, she was really alive...
: Did you forget!? She saved our lives, you know!
: Don't get all mushy towards a game character!
: Sh-Shut up!
: Plus, she wasn't just a little game character. She was a lackey for the detestable World Ender!

World Ender...?

: Now that you mention it...you referred to the Future Foundation by that name before.
: That just means it was all a bluff, right? So we'd think that the Future Foundation was our enemy...
: Do not joke about the world ending!

: No. There's no doubt that the Future Foundation is also World Ender. At least, for those of us here!

For everyone who's here...?

: Hey, what do you mean, "those of us here"? Why are you lumping us with you!?
: I-It's just a bluff.
: Monokuma...what exactly are you?

: Why don't you...just show us your true self already!?
: ...What, you can't talk?
: I-It is cowardly of you to j-just ignore us!

: Before I reveal my true identity to you guys... It appears the main cast has finally arrived.

Huh?

: M-Main cast...?

: Speaking of which... This guy is a member of World Ender!

Music cuts out.

: What...? World Ender...?

: It's not the Future Foundation's fault. Rather, the fault lies...with you guys.

: All right, I was waiting for you, Makoto! You've finally arrived!

...Makoto?

: My name is Makoto Naegi. Like you, I'm also a former student of Hope's Peak Academy... And right now, I'm a member of the Future Foundation.
: Y-You are from the Future Foundation?
: Why did someone like you suddenly show up...?
: I got it! You came to save us, right!? Then hurry up and save us!

: H-Hey...what happened...?

What is this...? Isn't he acting a bit...strange...? This guy's attitude... It's as if...

...He's being cautious of us?

: Of course, I don't mind rescuing you guys. But before that...

: You all need to fully accept the situation you're in!

The...situation we're in...?

: Why do you think the Future Foundation decided to put you guys into the Neo World Program?

: Wh-Who cares...? Hurry up and get us out of here...
: The Neo World Program...has another name: The Hope Restoration Program.

Hope Restoration Program...?

: By now, you should understand your true identities...
: Huh? Our true identities...?

: Aren't we the fifteen survivors of Hope's Peak Academy who were rescued by the Future Foundation?
: Before you arrived here, Monokuma should've shown you guys some clues.

: Put them all together and try thinking about it!

Put it together...and think...?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It's Naegi! :neckbeard:

"Put it together...and think...?" Hajime slowly repeated, as if confused by the very concept.

Normally I'd say that maybe 'hey you guys are actually evil' isn't as sledgehammeringly obvious if you're playing through all at once without months to think about it and theorizing from other posters...except those emails that as good as spell it out JUST happened.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
The 8-bit debate music is loving amazing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Here we go.

Time for new information to be used and confirmed and elaborated on!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nephrite posted:

'cause it's a game!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Tenebrais posted:

'cause it's a game!

That line is still in my head and it's going to be there for awhile.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nephrite posted:

It is a loving crime that it's only used in that single debate! There's even another "8-bit" debate to be had and it doesn't play! Danganronpa! :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to wonder why Komaeda's name is an anagram of "Naegi Makoto da" if he never even tries to pretend to be Naegi nor looks like him at all.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have to wonder why Komaeda's name is an anagram of "Naegi Makoto da" if he never even tries to pretend to be Naegi nor looks like him at all.

I suspect that was a deliberate misdirection from the developers between him and Fatogami to surprise the players, and isn't aimed at the characters at all.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Robindaybird posted:

I suspect that was a deliberate misdirection from the developers between him and Fatogami to surprise the players, and isn't aimed at the characters at all.

Yeah, he's the Grant Anonama of this game.

(its an anagram for Not An Anagram)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

There were a bunch of these hex texts in that debate. Has anyone added them up and checked if they can be converted to some sensible text, either in ASCII or in a Japanese encoding?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I recall reading somewhere in this thread it was actually an accident, and they were just trying to make a name that was reminiscent of Naegi's.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: This Logic Dive is definitely on the harder side. There are a lot of close calls and jumps that you have to navigate.

: This one's pretty obvious. Makes sense that we're the survivors.

> Hajime and the others

: Watch out for tight squeezes...

: And long jumps too!

: This might not have been so obvious from the question alone but the answers basically give it away. It looks like we're probably the bad guys...

> Hajime and the others

: And now we have to move sideways while making jumps. The danger only ramps up!

: If we're in this "Hope Restoration Program" in the first place, there can only be one reason why we were put here.

> To recover from despair

: And that's that.

: C-Could it be...!? The survivors of Hope's Peak Academy and the Remnants of Ultimate Despair are...
: Yes, both of those phrases refer to you guys!

...!

: That's right... Not only are you guys the survivors of Hope's Peak Academy...

: You're also survivors of Ultimate Despair!
: We're all...Ultimate Despair...?
: D-Don't be stupid!

: In the beginning, we took in fifteen of you as survivors of Hope's Peak Academy. But upon further investigation, we discovered an unbelievable truth...
: The fifteen people we acquired were actually the horrifying Remnants of Despair.
: Th-That was...us...?
: What is this...Ultimate Despair...?
: I remember hearing that they're dangerous guys who were responsible for terrorism, coup d'etats, and wars...

: Yes...they're responsible for The Tragedy and brought chaos into the world...

: Despair in human form, but utterly devoid of humanity... That's what you guys really are.

: The Ultimate Despairs don't care about principles or morals. They just spread despair everywhere they go...

: They live solely to torment everything... to burn everything...to kill everything...

: We're...part of a dangerous group like that...?
: Th-That's gotta be a lie!

: That's right... There's no way...there's no way we're all Ultimate Despair...
: Nagito probably did what he did because he managed to learn the unbelievable truth.
: N-Nagito...!? Why are you bringing him up all of a sudden?

: He's the only one who knew this truth before you guys. It was a special prize for clearing the Final Dead Room.
: Was it that file that contained all our student profiles? But inside...

: But unfortunately... There doesn't seem to be any details.
: ...Details?
: Details about our missing memories... Information about the time we spent at Hope's Peak Academy. Hmmm, if it's not written in there, these profiles might've been written before we entered the academy.

: No, it used to have profiles from after you entered the school, but Nagito destroyed them before you saw it.

...Huh?

: Wh-Why...? Why do you know something like that...?

: Anyway...it's the absolute truth that the file had profiles about you guys after you entered the school...
: And after Nagito obtained the file and learned the truth, what did he try to do to you guys?

N-Nagito learned the truth... What did he try to do to us...?

Are you...telling us to answer that?

: It's the final Hangman's Gambit in the game and what's it gonna throw at us? Lots of letters, all at once, that's what!

: It's actually not too bad since they move slowly. But in the video I had two mismatched letters spawn on top of each other and there was nothing I could do to avoid taking damage.
: Still, it's a decent final challenge. Now get the hell out of here Hangman's Gambit, no one enjoys your minigame.

> KILL US ALL

Music fades out.

: He tried...to kill everyone except for the traitor.
: That's right... After seeing the file, he learned that everyone, including him, was Ultimate Despair...
: And he tried to kill everyone except the traitor.

: Did Nagito try to kill us...because we were Ultimate Despair...?
: Yes, because of his love for hope and his hatred toward despair... I sort of...understand that feeling...
: Don't mess with us... Why do we have to be treated like the bad guys...!?
: Th-There must be some kind of mistake! There's no way we're Ultimate Despair...
: I-I don't need a twist like that!
: It might seem unbelievable because you guys only have memories from before you entered the school...

: But it all happened at Hope's Peak Academy! You were tainted by Ultimate Despair because at Hope's Peak Academy, you were in contact with her!
: ...Her?

: The true Ultimate Despair...Junko Enoshima. She strongly influenced you all during your time at the school, and that's why you became Ultimate Despair.
: In order to remove that influence, you've been placed into the Hope Restoration Program.
: Is that...why you took away our school memories?

: The reason you're able to act like your normal selves is because you're within the Neo World Program...
: But your true bodies in the real world are different!
: In the real world, you're part of a group that cruelly destroyed your family, friends, and even your own body!
: Family, friends, and our own bodies... Aren't you exaggerating a bit?

: H-He's right! There's no way we'd do something like that!

Music cuts out.

: Don't turn away from the truth!

: ...Ugh!

Wh-What was that...just now...!?

A memory...? But...

That person...that was Nagito, right?

: ...It appears you've remembered a little.

...Huh?

: Now, face what you've done! And from there, you will finally take your first steps on the path to hope!

: Puhuhuhuhu...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Remember how Teruteru was worried about his mom in the end? Turns out he killed her for Junko already!

:smith:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Komaeda did (almost) nothing wrong

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
ohhhh he was trying to kill everyone except gamer girl, that makes much more sense.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Wait, so Hajime was the mystery person in that flashback with Nagito? ...I suppose being a reserve course student would have made him a nobody, in the sense that he lacked a particularly special talent.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, we never really find out what Ultimate Despair wanted on Jabberwock Island. ...or, at least, what Nagito wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Sindai posted:

ohhhh he was trying to kill everyone except gamer girl, that makes much more sense.

FPzero posted:

: Congratulatiooooooons! You successfully stopped Nagito's plan! I mean, Nagito's plan was to reveal the traitor...
: ...and kill everyone else besides the traitor!

Monokuma actually told us this after we voted for Chiaki, but the reason why wasn't revealed until now.

• Locked thread