Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
To everyone who answered my question about buying the sale bundle (plus Apocalypse, I'm told),

Do you think that I will actually get into this, considering that, no matter how much I've wanted to get into 4X games in the past I'm too dumb\no wait, lazy\no, dumb\no, let's say lazy, just so that I feel better about myself to really get into them, no matter how interesting they sound on paper? Civ is about the most complicated thing I've been able to get myself into, and I only played that sparingly. Everything else I've gotten I've usually started up, kinda stared at, then went "oh gently caress this, I can't even" and turned off. It's a bummer, because conceptually I've liked the games, but I can't get past the initial hump.

Basically, is there something here right out of the package to hook an impatient person, allowing me to kinda learn everything else later after I'm invested? Or is this gonna be another $50 I throw down, only to feel the shame of a dipshit every time I see it on my desktop and tell myself "I'll, uh, try that again... later"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Life Seeded Fanatic Pacifist/Spiritualist with Agrarian Idyll has been real good. I’m 56 years in, about to finish my fourth tradition tree and just got my second planet by uplifting some friendly buggers.

I just need to find this bloody Climate Restoration tech for World Shaper and I’m ready to snowball hard.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

Wiz I just encountered my first empire, they’re neighbors, and they are the exactly the same color as me. For the love of god

e: what the gently caress they’re Life-Seeded too
I had a really fun start until I met my first neighbor who had the same color as me and the same portrait as a custom rival race I set up.

Today I learned how to modify saves.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Does anyone have screenshots of what the colossi look like?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do wish that upgrading ships didn't reset their experience, on normal tech progression I can't imagine that experience is going to be at all useful if that's the case.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Soup du Jour posted:

Wiz I just encountered my first empire, they’re neighbors, and they are the exactly the same color as me. For the love of god

e: what the gently caress they’re Life-Seeded too

Do they have the same portrait as your species but with goatees? :tinfoil:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This patch is so insanely good. The pirate rework and marauders and war and disengaging and and and :gizz:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mysterious frankie posted:

To everyone who answered my question about buying the sale bundle (plus Apocalypse, I'm told),

Do you think that I will actually get into this, considering that, no matter how much I've wanted to get into 4X games in the past I'm too dumb\no wait, lazy\no, dumb\no, let's say lazy, just so that I feel better about myself to really get into them, no matter how interesting they sound on paper? Civ is about the most complicated thing I've been able to get myself into, and I only played that sparingly. Everything else I've gotten I've usually started up, kinda stared at, then went "oh gently caress this, I can't even" and turned off. It's a bummer, because conceptually I've liked the games, but I can't get past the initial hump.

Basically, is there something here right out of the package to hook an impatient person, allowing me to kinda learn everything else later after I'm invested? Or is this gonna be another $50 I throw down, only to feel the shame of a dipshit every time I see it on my desktop and tell myself "I'll, uh, try that again... later"?

To be honest it's probably the easiest paradox game to get into, but if the genre hasn't grabbed your attention in the past this isn't the game to jump in on.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Mayor Dave posted:

To be honest it's probably the easiest paradox game to get into, but if the genre hasn't grabbed your attention in the past this isn't the game to jump in on.

Dangit, well thanks for being straight with me.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Do you only have to adopt domination to vassalize? I adopted it but haven't gone any further and my robo-empire isn't allowed to demand vassalization, despite it saying only adoption is needed.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shadowlyger posted:

EDIT: Also, thoroughly amused to note that the whole "chokepoints in spaaaaaaace" thing hasn't worked out at all, because no matter how much you build up a starbase it's going to get trucked as soon as any enemy fleet so much as glances at it.

This is hilariously untrue but it's a Shadowlyger post so that was already a given.

Like yeah if you go into midgame with level 2 starbases and no upgrades or defense platforms they're not gonna stand up to a fleet, but they can get thick as hell in their own right and also stand up long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ok raiders are ripping through my territory now with an 8k fleet, I've only got 6k. Some jerk paid them to attack me and now I'm getting owned hard.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I had a starbase and a small fleet stop a much more threatening fleet and all I lost was a few defense platforms and a couple ships. Definitely did the job!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

As someone who never wilfully used hyperlanes previously I gotta say that this update is good. The game feels way more solid now and its nice to have a map that means something.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Oh my god the drat wormhole I found actually DOES lead directly to the capital system of a marauders...they're just pouring out of it owning me. Time to fortify that one if they ever leave.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Game is good. I've been ignoring the base game for the most part and playing Star Trek and the mod has been significantly improved with the new mechanics. The early game is much slower and empires expand sensibly, if maybe a little slow even. I've been playing the Romulans and manages to snag alpha centaur from under Sol and it's planets are going to afford be a really strong position to hit them from later.

They did well with the techs too and starbase upgrades don't feel rushed or poorly thought out. The only gripe I have is that the choice of ascension perks is really poor, so I'm just picking up traditions willy nilly and not bothering to finish any trees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ok raiders are ripping through my territory now with an 8k fleet, I've only got 6k. Some jerk paid them to attack me and now I'm getting owned hard.

Depending on your fleet composition you should actually be able to do something about that, try and get an admiral with Trickster or use a doctrine that improves your chance to disengage, and just fight them, chances are you won't actually lose that many ships and can disengage after doing damage to them.

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm just picking up traditions willy nilly and not bothering to finish any trees.

Every tree you open increases your costs for new traditions, this isn't advised.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

al.. alright :stare:.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Oh my god the drat wormhole I found actually DOES lead directly to the capital system of a marauders...they're just pouring out of it owning me. Time to fortify that one if they ever leave.

Cloaked, self-replicating clustered-detonation micro-mines.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
War exhaustion and invading planets is beyond hosed this patch. I attacked one of my pathetic neighbours to change their ethics and almost instantly got them to 100% war exhaustion...which doesn't seem to mean anything as they still don't accept my demands. So I play grab-rear end with his fleets for a few years, conquer a couple planets (because it takes literally forever to siege now) and nearly all of his starbases until my war exhaustion reaches 100% (why? I never lost a battle and was running a surplus in energy/minerals) and they auto white peace.

Also, the fleet manager is completely broken. If I set up a fleet with say 5 cruisers, 15 destroyers, 15 corvettes and hit the reinforce button I instantly get like 30 corvettes queued up at my shipyards. Also, reinforce will nearly always build more ships than i have fleet capacity for. Why??

Also the border gore for some of the ai empires in my current game are beyond hilarious.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Cloaked, self-replicating clustered-detonation micro-mines.

I named the station Deep Space 9. Of course don't have the ftl inhibitor tech so they're just wandering past it.

Also, there are two marauder empires on the other side of the wormhole who are tag-teaming me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uhhhh, I just offered to do an active sensor link with a fallen robot empire and now I have the entire map explored :stare:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Every tree you open increases your costs for new traditions, this isn't advised.

the penalty is very very small compared to the penalty imposed by systems and planets; while i wouldn't start every tree at once or anything, having two or three active at once can be worth it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I grab the Harmony +25% pop growth, that seems pretty good to get early on.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
In the launch trailer, is that the Commonwealth retaliating for the UNE's loss of Earth by gutting one of the planets of the starfish aliens that blew Earth up?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Voyager I posted:

This is hilariously untrue but it's a Shadowlyger post so that was already a given.

Like yeah if you go into midgame with level 2 starbases and no upgrades or defense platforms they're not gonna stand up to a fleet, but they can get thick as hell in their own right and also stand up long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

Fully upgraded fully stocked starbase: 12k

Enemy fleet: 70k

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Shadowlyger posted:

12k is a lot of power. Why did you piss off a goddamn enemy with a fleet of 70k power?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

12k is a lot of power. Why did you piss off a goddamn enemy with a fleet of 70k power?

I'm Exterminators. Except I can't loving exterminate anyone because war exhaustion ends any war before I can kill anything, except when it's a hugely superior enemy clowning on me.

EDIT: That 12k starbase was in year 2400, by the way. Between resource starvation and having no loving clue how to increase my fleet cap by any appreciable amount, everyone is constantly superior to me at all times.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 23, 2018

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Artificer posted:

In the launch trailer, is that the Commonwealth retaliating for the UNE's loss of Earth by gutting one of the planets of the starfish aliens that blew Earth up?

In my headcanon the UNE became/splintered into the Commonwealth following the Apocalypse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fleet cap is increased by population and, as before, building and upgrading starbases. Build anchorage modules on starbases, increase your starbase cap, and build the building that improves anchorage naval cap production, also there are a number of researches that improve your naval cap as well as traditions and ascension perks.

Basically, play the game and your fleet cap will go up.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Axetrain posted:

al.. alright :stare:.

Are... are those gecko Shofixti? :neckbeard:

Also, it seems like there's a fun bug where the Decadent/Slaver Guilds requirements are missing for the Slaving Despots personality, resulting in almost every AI authoritarian empire having it :whip:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Fleet cap is increased by population and, as before, building and upgrading starbases. Build anchorage modules on starbases, increase your starbase cap, and build the building that improves anchorage naval cap production, also there are a number of researches that improve your naval cap as well as traditions and ascension perks.

Basically, play the game and your fleet cap will go up.

So what I'm getting from this is that the only modules starbases are allowed to have is anchorages and shipyards and the rest are all totally useless, got it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that the only modules starbases are allowed to have is anchorages and shipyards and the rest are all totally useless, got it.

Nnnooooo... they have a variety of other modules that provide economic benefits which are quite useful for replacing your ships when they are destroyed, which they will be if you're fighting people a lot.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
How does war exhaustion work now, to cause all these forced white peaces with such seemingly ridiculous terms?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I'm playing as robots and no one likes me, so I think they're all just chain-hiring the marauders? Like it's non-stop 12k fleets that outnumber me 2 to 1. Luckily I just let them steal all my resources and they just leave...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

I'm Exterminators. Except I can't loving exterminate anyone because war exhaustion ends any war before I can kill anything, except when it's a hugely superior enemy clowning on me.

EDIT: That 12k starbase was in year 2400, by the way. Between resource starvation and having no loving clue how to increase my fleet cap by any appreciable amount, everyone is constantly superior to me at all times.
I recommend not playing ultra hard mode until you know what you're doing.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
There's a Specter in the middle of my poo poo and it's never going to leave and it's just going to eat everything forever :qq:

Maybe I wanted to restart anyway, I want to play with less connections to get a more interesting map

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Having played a bit more, some further thoughts:

- The economy feels so much tighter now. There's more things to spend on will comparable priorities, making decisions in the early to mid game much more interesting.
- Haven't actually fought a war yet, but ship design is much more interesting and I'm actually going to have more than one design per hull class.
- +Research now feels slightly OP. While minerals and influence are the hard limit on expansion, the soft limit of increased research costs is actually more telling. This means that both Discovery and Tech Ascendancy might be the best choices for first picks for many playstyles - after all, it doesn't really matter if an industrious xenophobe grabs a bunch of systems if it renders them backwards and you can subsequently take them off them.
- +Core Systems techs now feel more buried in the tech tree, and because you no longer need planets to expand, the initial limit of three feels really restrictive.

Game is amazing though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shadowlyger posted:

This is either a straight up lie or you haven't found the 'Defenses' tab yet.

EDIT: Hell, even without defensive platforms a Citadel with all turrets will be significantly more than 12k. I honestly think you're just making poo poo up.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I am so goddamn happy that the Artillery CPU exists for destroyers, I can finally relive the Freespace glory days of swarming enemy capitals with IBFs.