Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I just figured out that entire games are downloaded onto the Xbone even if you have a disc for a game. So that means 500gb on an Xbone S will only get me so far, like 4 or 5 games before I have to buy an external drive or something. Also, for my 10 year old son to have his own profile he has to have an email address and registered account. What the gently caress.

Lol, I think you are way overestimating how big most games are. There are exceptions, sure, but in general 500gb should be plenty unless you're an uber nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Lol, I think you are way overestimating how big most games are. There are exceptions, sure, but in general 500gb should be plenty unless you're an uber nerd.

Well that's just one small issue that could turn into a bigger issue years down the road, but the whole registering my son thing is bullshit and I'm not paying a yearly/monthly fee to play online.

Call me a luddite I suppose, but we play almost entirely offline to begin with, so I don't see the need to go through all of that just for Forza Hot Wheels. iwentdoodie is gonna give me his 360 and I'm sure my son will be more than happy with the latest Forza edition for that, plus the local used game store has shitloads of 360 and PS3 games for almost nothing that will keep my son entertained for years.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So I just figured out that entire games are downloaded onto the Xbone even if you have a disc for a game. So that means 500gb on an Xbone S will only get me so far, like 4 or 5 games before I have to buy an external drive or something. Also, for my 10 year old son to have his own profile he has to have an email address and registered account. What the gently caress.

This is all correct. You can make it a child account, but it still has to be a different email, which is dumb.
The 500 GB XBone are just stupid, akin to the iPhone/iPad with only 16GB. At least the One is easy to upgrade, unlike the 360 was until they finally removed the external storage restriction a few years ago. I just buy a usb 3 portable hard drive. 2 TB is generally plenty. I just get whatever I can find a deal on that’s powered by the USB connection. It has to be USB 3 for the One, BTW. Also, like Apple, the price difference between the 500 and 1TB model is more than a 2TB external HDD costs.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Larrymer posted:

No its not. 500gb model xboxes are just up not enough storage especially in family situations. I play Division, Destiny 2 and FH3 with buddies. Occasionally I get a wild hair up my rear end to play some Fortnite or plug away a little on my absurdly complex custom vault in FO4. The fiance plays Diablo 3. The kid is huge into the Halo collection and H5. There's nothing "uber nerd" about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well that's just one small issue that could turn into a bigger issue years down the road, but the whole registering my son thing is bullshit and I'm not paying a yearly/monthly fee to play online.

Call me a luddite I suppose, but we play almost entirely offline to begin with, so I don't see the need to go through all of that just for Forza Hot Wheels. iwentdoodie is gonna give me his 360 and I'm sure my son will be more than happy with the latest Forza edition for that, plus the local used game store has shitloads of 360 and PS3 games for almost nothing that will keep my son entertained for years.

Oh, you are definitely a Luddite. :)

The yearly fee (I wait to find a deal on Live Gold cards, and they do stack, so you can build up several years) is worth it to me for the online play, and all the free “Games With Gold” you get (which is partly why I had to get an external drive).
Realize that even in the 360, all updated, bug fixes, and DLC come from online, not to mention Live Arcade digital only games.
That said, you’re right, the 360 has a *lot* of (good!) games available for it, and GameStop has them cheap. eBay and such, too.

Good news is that a lot of the 360 games now work on the One as well, if you repent and upgrade.

BTW, another benefit of Live is that you can do Cloud save games for portability between systems, or if the hdd dies. Also, you can add an external drive to the 360 as well. Particularly useful since the most it ever came with was 250 GB, and those were rare.

We just used one of my wife’s old email addresses for my daughter initially. I own my own domain, so I created one for her later, since she’s 16 now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No its not. 500gb model xboxes are just up not enough storage especially in family situations. I play Division, Destiny 2 and FH3 with buddies. Occasionally I get a wild hair up my rear end to play some Fortnite or plug away a little on my absurdly complex custom vault in FO4. The fiance plays Diablo 3. The kid is huge into the Halo collection and H5. There's nothing "uber nerd" about it.

Yeah, every One game is basically a Blu-ray in size. It’ll eat up 500 GB right quick. I’ve ended up with 40 or 50 games with all the free ones.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I suppose if I was into online gaming it would be worth it but I'm just not. I don't have the time to "build up" characters to even have fun so I just get blown away constantly lol. I tried back in the day with Black Ops and it was an exercise in futility, all these people with crazy medals and weapons and poo poo waiting for you to respawn and cap you off for the 30th time in a row so i got over that real quick.

I've just been beating PS3 games and trading them in, keeping the ones i like and play now and then. Once I get a 360 it will expand the games even more. The local mom and pop store here has a ridiculous selection that can keep me and my son busy for years at $5 to $10 bucks a pop.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I suppose if I was into online gaming it would be worth it but I'm just not. I don't have the time to "build up" characters to even have fun so I just get blown away constantly lol. I tried back in the day with Black Ops and it was an exercise in futility, all these people with crazy medals and weapons and poo poo waiting for you to respawn and cap you off for the 30th time in a row so i got over that real quick.

I've just been beating PS3 games and trading them in, keeping the ones i like and play now and then. Once I get a 360 it will expand the games even more. The local mom and pop store here has a ridiculous selection that can keep me and my son busy for years at $5 to $10 bucks a pop.

Can’t blame you there. I understand the frustration of lovely matchmaking (or guys gaming the system FTW) throwing you into matches against career assholes. “GIT GUD, HURR HURR”. It’s a lot better when you can play with a bunch of guys, friends or just guys you met in game. I tend to act as a bird dog, flushing out the bad guys. Usually by catching a bullet. My motto, when the game allows one, is “bullet magnet”. Player Unknown Battlegrounds actually works with my play style, amazingly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Can’t blame you there. I understand the frustration of lovely matchmaking (or guys gaming the system FTW) throwing you into matches against career assholes. “GIT GUD, HURR HURR”. It’s a lot better when you can play with a bunch of guys, friends or just guys you met in game. I tend to act as a bird dog, flushing out the bad guys. Usually by catching a bullet. My motto, when the game allows one, is “bullet magnet”. Player Unknown Battlegrounds actually works with my play style, amazingly.

Hey, you're the guy that I have success with in PUBG. Usually I have a bunch of teammates who can't speak the same language and nobody takes command, so I go hide up in the hills with a scope and wait for them to blunder into trouble and attract gunfire.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Use Bing rewards. You'll collect more than enough points in a year to pay for 12 months of gold.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Usually I have a bunch of teammates who can't speak the same language and nobody takes command, so I go hide up in the hills with a scope and wait for them to blunder into trouble and attract gunfire.

that's me in the buggy with the random russian teammate wondering what that Dacia is doing on our patch

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hey, you're the guy that I have success with in PUBG. Usually I have a bunch of teammates who can't speak the same language and nobody takes command, so I go hide up in the hills with a scope and wait for them to blunder into trouble and attract gunfire.

I usually have a lot more success if I stay, you know, close to the group.
Always get into trouble when I land away from them. My situational awareness is abysmal.

What's really fun is when the other three guys managed to get killed, and then I get to listen to them critique my performance while I blunder around. We have a general policy of "guns blazing" when someone gets killed, to minimize bench time, so it doesn't usually last long.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

I usually have a lot more success if I stay, you know, close to the group.
Always get into trouble when I land away from them. My situational awareness is abysmal.

What's really fun is when the other three guys managed to get killed, and then I get to listen to them critique my performance while I blunder around. We have a general policy of "guns blazing" when someone gets killed, to minimize bench time, so it doesn't usually last long.

This sounds like more fun than playing with the Chinese gold farmers. They're nice people and all but not much for conversation.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This sounds like more fun than playing with the Chinese gold farmers. They're nice people and all but not much for conversation.

That effect is nowhere near as bad on XBone. Also, you can specify the server, and I've never played anything but Nother American. As far as I can tell, I've been playing against actual players playing for (various definitions of) fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son has been hooked on Medal of Honor games lately, which is a bit violent for his age, but it has been a great history lesson for him because now he's got tons of questions about WWII and he's learning a lot about it so I'm cool with him shooting Nazis :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

me as a child being exposed to WWII through comic books and wolfenstein 3D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzuaW8GD3X8

also idk about the recent ones but the first call of duty game and its expansion were pretty neat because they had you play from the perspective of different allied nations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

My son has been hooked on Medal of Honor games lately, which is a bit violent for his age, but it has been a great history lesson for him because now he's got tons of questions about WWII and he's learning a lot about it so I'm cool with him shooting Nazis :v:

That's a classic conversation. Bunch of adolescent boys hanging out playing video games when a dad comes in to check on them.

"What are you boys up to in here?"
'Killin' nazis.'
"Well alright. Keep it up."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I play Destiny 2...There's nothing "uber nerd" about it.

:colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's a classic conversation. Bunch of adolescent boys hanging out playing video games when a dad comes in to check on them.

"What are you boys up to in here?"
'Killin' nazis.'
"Well alright. Keep it up."

Give the current troubles in the US, it should practically be mandatory. Make it clear from an early age that Nazis are to be killed, not marched with or in any way emulated or respected.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thief posted:

also idk about the recent ones but the first call of duty game and its expansion were pretty neat because they had you play from the perspective of different allied nations.

The first 3 or so were great. After that they started getting way too, I don't know, RPG? with regards to weapons and equipment loadouts, then into "prestige" items and paint jobs, whatever. I still tend to pick up the games when they get to $20 or so for the single-player campaigns. The Black-Ops series is neat for what they are. The Modern Warfares are, well modern. Actually right into near-future science fiction. Haven't played the new COD WWII, Advanced Warfare, or Infinite Warfare, though given what the "traditional" players of COD (read: PWN N00Bs HURR HURR dicks) were complaining about on Infinite, I would probably enjoy that one. Some of my friends still play BLOPS 3 and MW3, so I do still occasionally play those.

PT6A posted:

Give the current troubles in the US, it should practically be mandatory. Make it clear from an early age that Nazis are to be killed, not marched with or in any way emulated or respected.

This is a thought. The current Wolfenstein alternate-history games are an interesting perspective.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

This is a thought. The current Wolfenstein alternate-history games are an interesting perspective.

They're also very, very fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Haven't played the new COD WWI

Looks kind of disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_0tGZRy-3E

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can speak for The New Colossus, but if it's anything like The New Order (and I suspect it is), I agree. I'm in the midst of New Order, have Old Blood, and will get New Colossus when I finish those.

A lot of the poo poo he's complaining about initially are things that annoy me or I don't care about. Getting hit by killstreak after killstreak pisses me off. Farting around endlessly with loadouts is something I'm not good at and therefore not interested in. But, yeah, the actual gameplay and maps look disappointing.
Frankly, I feel like the high point may have been COD 2. I definitely preferred the Infinity Ward-developed games.

Jesus, they even hosed up zombies.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Frankly, I feel like the high point may have been COD 2. I definitely preferred the Infinity Ward-developed games.

united offensive was the first expansion and it owned.

smoke grenades. sprinting. huge open maps and cool modes like base assault. tanks and no tanks. 3 person jeeps with mgs on the back. flamethrowers. mildly destructible environments.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Meh i'm not so hot on the gameplay of the new one. Its alright but it feels a bit like they tried to emulate the gameplay of Doom '16 without the glory kills which means you have less incentive to keep moving and get no health from melee kills which makes them pretty much worthless.
The feedback for receiving damage ist also terrible. A lot of times i felt like i was doing fine in a fight only to glance down and see that im like down to 10 HP. Or is just suddenly died without feeling like i took a lot of damage.
Its definitely a game you can just set to easy to blast some nazis and enjoy the completely insane story.
That Story though! Goddamn!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

Meh i'm not so hot on the gameplay of the new one. Its alright but it feels a bit like they tried to emulate the gameplay of Doom '16 without the glory kills which means you have less incentive to keep moving and get no health from melee kills which makes them pretty much worthless.
The feedback for receiving damage ist also terrible. A lot of times i felt like i was doing fine in a fight only to glance down and see that im like down to 10 HP. Or is just suddenly died without feeling like i took a lot of damage.
Its definitely a game you can just set to easy to blast some nazis and enjoy the completely insane story.
That Story though! Goddamn!

I'm with you on the last two points, but the gameplay is not annoying enough to damage my enjoyment.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Jesus. In FH3, I bought a GMC Vandura to do this week's Forzathon and spent some credits on it.

The engine? Powerful enough to lift the front tires off the ground. On dirt, apparently.

The suspension? Completely stock.

It's hard to drive because I'm laughing so goddamned hard. It doesn't help that I've got the "classical" radio station on. This seems fitting for that thing wallowing around corners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CTYymbbEL4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I had the classical station on for a while. The DJ's affected befuddlement towards all things "Horizon Festival" is amusing. It's also great when "Ride of the Valkyries" or "Also Sprach Zarathustra" comes on while your doing epic stuff.

I did the Forzathon truck stuff with my 900 HP Holden FX truck. Seriously thought about buying the van, though. I also could have used my hot-rodded Syclone, or the Maloo I chose the first time they gave you a car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Darchangel posted:

I had the classical station on for a while. The DJ's affected befuddlement towards all things "Horizon Festival" is amusing. It's also great when "Ride of the Valkyries" or "Also Sprach Zarathustra" comes on while your doing epic stuff.

I did the Forzathon truck stuff with my 900 HP Holden FX truck. Seriously thought about buying the van, though. I also could have used my hot-rodded Syclone, or the Maloo I chose the first time they gave you a car.

Syclone did it for me. Still got hosed on the prize spins though :argh:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Syclone did it for me. Still got hosed on the prize spins though :argh:

I've gotten credits something like 90% or better. I think I've won 3 or 4 cars so far, and I'm about 30% through the game. Maybe 30 spins? Haven't really kept track.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just got Need for Speed Most Wanted for the PS3 and it's actually pretty good, lots of cool cars that are available almost right away.

V8 Ariel Atom is a beast.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Darchangel posted:

I've gotten credits something like 90% or better. I think I've won 3 or 4 cars so far, and I'm about 30% through the game. Maybe 30 spins? Haven't really kept track.

I just want cars and I keep getting dinged with the 5k credits on the wheel. Gee, thanks.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I'm not sure about other platforms, but Need For Speed Payback is on sale for PC. I picked up the deluxe edition last night for $32, it just launched in November and is over half off from the launch price. The cars so far feel better to drive than the last Need For Speed game, but not quite as good as Horizon. I guess they added a better way to get parts than the pay to win scheme they had at launch, but I'm not that far into it yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'm kinda surprised by NFS, my son wanted it and i kinda balked at the idea, but turns out it's way more fun than GT which is collecting dust because my son got sick of trying to make money to use the cars he wanted.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I picked up The Crew in the giveaway a few months back but can't get the game to actually read controller inputs (using an xbox one controller over bluetooth in windows 10, also tried over USB). Has anyone run into this problem and had any success fixing it? The controller works in other games and the icons in The Crew change to show it's recognised, but none of the buttons seem to get sent to the game. If I try rebind controller buttons it recognises I pressed a button but blanks out the input.

Some googling suggests that it's an issue with having the GeForce Experience software installed but I first tried running the game on the default driver install from windows without the software and had the same issue, then updated to the latest drivers and installed gfe without any improvement. Also tried verifying and reinstalling the game files. Only other thing I've seen suggested is downgrading the controller drivers but I really don't want to do that for one game (plus I can't work out how). Ed: Finally fixed it by disabling the uplay overlay, launching the game once, then re-enabling the uplay overlay.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 4, 2018

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I played the hell out of gran turismo 2 and 4 when I was younger and had tons a free time to earn all the credits I needed to buy any of the cars I wanted. As a grown up kid with wife and kids I bought gran turismo 6 to scratch the itch. Luckily, right when I bought it there was a money glitch and I used it to get enough money in the game to last a few lifetimes. Without that money glitch, my limited play time wouldn't earn enough money for me to enjoy the game. Is there a game out now that has a ton of cars, drives more like a simulation than arcade, and gives you access to a ton of cars without a big time sink?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't know how many of you guys are into the full on god tier simracing nerdery required for this, but the Gooncar iRacing Series (run by your good friends over in the Games simracing threads) will be running over the next 5 weeks purely on the inclusive content, so if you want to pay $5 and see what all this is about now is a good time to check it out, probably.

Vando posted:

Calendar:

DW12 @ Pocono (March 11th, preseason)

Okayama (March 18th)
Lime Rock (March 25th)
Summit Point (April 1st)
Laguna Seca (April 8th)
New Hampshire double header! (April 15th)

Yes it's all free content except for the last race. No excuses :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just curious, but is there any sort of strategy for multiplayer shooting games other than "get good"?

I swear to god some of these people have some kind of cheat code when they kill me with one shot and I'm unloading with nothing happening, or they are jumping twice as high as me, getting on roofs and in trees that have no access as far as I can tell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on the game. Most have some sort of progression these days where the longer you play it, you unlock gear that's marginally better than what you have available fresh out of the gate.

Personally, I just end up massively sucking at any sort of competitive FPS that doesn't use a mouse and keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

It's been a while since I've fired up Horizon 3, but I figured I should drop this here:

Here is a list of all Forzathons, past, present, and upcoming through the month of April

Right now you can win a Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock HE, and you have until the 9th! The most exciting one is coming March 30th, and if it's anything like the one a good number of us missed out on, it looks like you'll have the chance to get a 356 Speedster barn find :woop:

• Locked thread