Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fishmech posted:

Yeah I just don't see how the guy never saw prompts to update to the FCU when it was released over 4 months ago.
I always love the standard complaint that tends to come down to "well I know better and will keep my system up to date myself" while always being in the middle of a complaint about how they didn't update for X period of time and the system forced them to at an inconvenient time.

That said I can sympathize with complaints about how loving long Windows Update takes to do, well, anything. Given a local update mirror and/or a sufficiently fast internet connection to not be a bottleneck I've pretty much never had an update on a Linux system of any sort take more than five minutes and maybe a single reboot if the kernel or some other core component was updated. Even when there's a bug in a major core library and everything but the kitchen sink is getting patched, updates apply quickly and cleanly. Windows? Always a question. Could take seconds, could take 20 minutes, could even take multiple reboots for some absurd reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

wolrah posted:

could even take multiple reboots for some absurd reason.

These bother me. Is it the same on Windows server?

That must be loving annoying if so Vs a Linux box. Oh, it's back up! Nah it isn't.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

isndl posted:

This is where I would have stopped and noped out of updating on the off chance the update fucks up anywhere. Three hours is nowhere near enough time for risking mission critical operation, just do it when you get home after. :shrug:

If you're in the EU, those $5 keys are salvage keys and completely legal (upheld by court ruling). If you're not in the EU, who the gently caress knows, though Microsoft isn't in the habit of chasing home users as others have mentioned.

I’m in the EU so $5 keys sounds great to me.

Thanks.

e: Does the same hold true for Office? Searching for "Office 2016" on eBay shows me a bunch of auctions for things like "Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus Office 365" for 5 GBP which seem also too good to be true.

Office 2016 Auction posted:

Q. Can I register the username with your current email address ?
A. No, You cannot use your own email for this. I will send you a username and password for your new account with instructions on how to install.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 22, 2018

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

redeyes posted:

You can't do that with Pro, only Enterprise. Thus the issue.

Why are you so full of poo poo all the loving time? It literally pops up 'windows has new updates for you to download' and you have to go and press 'download' for it to, spoiler alert, download them.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks.

e: Does the same hold true for Office? Searching for "Office 2016" on eBay shows me a bunch of auctions for things like "Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus Office 365" for 5 GBP which seem also too good to be true.

About that windows 10 key, just make sure that the seller is somewhat reputable.
I bought a key a few years ago and after changing a motherboard it wouldn't reactivate. After a short phone call to MS it turns out that the seller must have sold the same key to lots of other people and they flagged it as pirated.

Edit: it doesn't really change anything though I just can't change some of the personalization options.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks.

Office 365 is the subscription version. You probably want a key for the non-subscription version of 2016.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Nam Taf posted:

Why are you so full of poo poo all the loving time? It literally pops up 'windows has new updates for you to download' and you have to go and press 'download' for it to, spoiler alert, download them.

If you do this, do you need to manually approve the Windows Defender updates as well?

Although lately I had to install newer build updates manually to get the supposed Meltdown and Spectre improvements since Windows Update just doesn't see them for some reason. I found it strange I hadn't had to reboot due to updates in months, except for WinDefender stuff, then checked the build number and realized I was multiple updates / builds behind - this issue is on multiple machines too, Home/Pro, Intel/AMD...

Tecman fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 22, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nam Taf posted:

Look man, I have had Pro installs since the beginning of 10 and THAT policy didn't actually function. I had it enabled like that and the loving things STILL rebooted. Something may have changed in the last Fall update. BUT IT WOULD BE WORTH TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT. Rather than being a loving oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Tecman posted:

If you do this, do you need to manually approve the Windows Defender updates as well?

Yeh, so do it once a day or something when it takes literally second(s, sometimes) to download and install and does not require a reboot. I mean they only push Defender patches twice a day as is and you simply just ignore it (or press the X) in the action bar if you want to wait on it. That's hardly a big issue, surely?

redeyes posted:

Look man, I have had Pro installs since the beginning of 10 and THAT policy didn't actually function. I had it enabled like that and the loving things STILL rebooted. Something may have changed in the last Fall update. BUT IT WOULD BE WORTH TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT. Rather than being a loving oval office.

Stop trying to justify simply being bad at computers, it has worked since the beginning of time itself. You, not Microsoft, are the cause of all your special snowflake issues with your PC.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

Yeh, so do it once a day or something when it takes literally second(s, sometimes) to download and install and does not require a reboot. I mean they only push Defender patches twice a day as is and you simply just ignore it (or press the X) in the action bar if you want to wait on it. That's hardly a big issue, surely?

Stop trying to justify simply being bad at computers, it has worked since the beginning of time itself. You, not Microsoft, are the cause of all your special snowflake issues with your PC.

:frogout:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Come on, it's redeyes, the MrBibs of SH/SC.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, redeyes should probably also get out, but I haven't touched anything about my windows configuration and it's now slow as gently caress doing certain basic things like alttabbing (takes 2-5 seconds) and opening task manager or file exploder (takes up to a minute now).

One of the random updates did this a few weeks ago. There is no fix on the horizon, other than "flatten and reinstall and maybe it'll be fixed then".

Yes, I'm cranky because windows is a pos os. It's the best windows yet, but it's still not *good*. Also "just manually install this virus update every single day" is an incredibly dumb alternative to "automatically install all my updates", come on.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I've been running into odd Windows 10 activation scenarios in the past few weeks. I only have a passing understanding of Windows 10 activation, but I have certain expectations of what will work and wont work. At one point I manually upgraded a few thousand machines for work, and once that ended I made pretty liberal use of the Accessibility upgrade for various machines personal and not. My understanding was if it activates the license is permanently modified and you're golden forever. I haven't seen any evidence against this so far but now I'm questioning that.

Two weeks ago I bought a new motherboard and CPU for my personal PC. I installed a fresh Windows 10 Pro copy of windows via their ISO. I was intending to get a $30 key from a shady reseller, though one I've used before with no issue, but after just a day Windows activated itself. I thought perhaps Microsoft was using something other than the motherboard to register licenses (?? I just doubt this so much), but didn't look into it further.

I have a mining machine that uses an old OEM B85 $20 Acer motherboard. I had been using Windows 10 eval for months because I assumed I'd have to buy a license for it. Recently I accidentally installed the retail ISO instead of the eval ISO. It said it wasn't activated, but I ignored it and would reinstall once it started cutting the network and all that. But in just a day, it activated. Its still activated.

Now I was curious and I tested installing Windows 10 via USB on two known non-upgraded optiplex 990's. They both worked. Then I upgraded our janitors Windows 8.1 laptop and again after a day it activated.

I guess my question here is am I just being dumb and am unaware of how this actually works? Because I'm skeptical to say the least.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Look i'm not fighting with people. I just want control over updates for customers that need that. If Pro works now, great. I swear up and down that GPE policy didn't used to work. If it does now, thank god, I don't need to complain anymore.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Professional Office 365 subscriptions usually come with 5? installs tied to a user's name@company.com account - so there's 1 install for their work PC, 1 for their work smartphone so they can Outlook/Word/Excel on the go, 1 for their home PC, and so on.

Same goes for home-user 'family' subs, but they're tied to a Microsoft account - dad@outlook.com owns the sub, and links mother@outlook.com, son@outlook.com, daughter@outlook.com, and dog@outlook.com so everyone can Office.

Don't quote me on this, but anyone 'selling' a subscription in the way you describe is probably selling their 'spare' installs.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I know red outside of SA (thank you for your condolences) and while he can be a right pill, he's not actually a moron (just plays one on the internet), and he wouldn't just lie about the GPE thing not working.

Having said that it's entirely possible he's doing something only red would do and that's been breaking it. :v:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Truga posted:

Yes, I'm cranky because windows is a pos os. It's the best windows yet, but it's still not *good*. Also "just manually install this virus update every single day" is an incredibly dumb alternative to "automatically install all my updates", come on.

You're so wrong. I loaded up a VM with fully-patched Windows 7 Pro a few weeks ago, and it was SHOCKING how much faster, more responsive, and more feature complete it was compared to Windows 10. In my opinion, looked nicer too in comparison to the stock dark Windows 10.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

bobfather posted:

You're so wrong. I loaded up a VM with fully-patched Windows 7 Pro a few weeks ago, and it was SHOCKING how much faster, more responsive, and more feature complete it was compared to Windows 10. In my opinion, looked nicer too in comparison to the stock dark Windows 10.

I know im just jumping head first into the pool here so I apologize if Im short on details, but in my experience anytime Windows 10 feels or is apparently slower (I mean basic UI stuff, booting, speed that dialog boxes open, UAC delay, etc) it can be resolved by reinstalling windows fresh from the boot menu and not from within Windows. I dont know why this happens, but I see it all the time. It doesn't seem model or hardware specific. The weird "slowness" can also affect machines that were deployed over the network in various ways.

Windows 10 working properly is at the very least equal to Windows 7 in responsiveness, and in many cases slightly better. When its working improperly it can feel like total rear end. This is an issue that has yet never been resolved since Microsoft allowed free upgrades, and in fact I dont think Ive ever seen it mentioned outside of where I work. I just had 24 machines behave that way yesterday forcing me to build a solid image manually and use that as a seed which of course is a massive waste of time. Sometimes it works just fine though, thats the Windows(tm) way.

Assuming you haven't been through all that already but youre not happy by how Windows 10 feels especially if you can compare it to Windows 7 in a vm, manually installing from a boot drive or ISO has fixed this general issue every time for me.

YMMV of course and I know how it sounds (DID YOU UNPLUG IT AND PLUG IT BACK IN? DID YOU CLEAR COOKIES??) but I am very sure it at least solves the issue with similar characteristics that I see.

As far as features I do not like changes to some dialogs, but ultimately I've been able to access everything via the run menu or windows+X

edit: I only glanced through the Windows update discussion above, but there are basic scripts out there that block Windows 10 updates completely unless you purposefully re-enable it. Occasionally Microsoft has pushed the odd update that circumvents the standard "do not install" selection. Now these updates are generally important, but for many business scenarios this is not acceptable. As a rule I do not deploy any Windows 10 machines that are capable of updating themselves unless specifically requested

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 22, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

GreenNight posted:

That would not surprise me in the least. I know the Store App itself doesn't unpin when updated though.
Must be some poo poo with third party apps, because I keep pinning Spotify to the taskbar, and it keeps getting unpinned.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

Windows 10 working properly is at the very least equal to Windows 7 in responsiveness, and in many cases slightly better. When its working improperly it can feel like total rear end. This is an issue that has yet never been resolved since Microsoft allowed free upgrades, and in fact I dont think Ive ever seen it mentioned outside of where I work. I just had 24 machines behave that way yesterday forcing me to build a solid image manually and use that as a seed which of course is a massive waste of time. Sometimes it works just fine though, thats the Windows(tm) way.

Assuming you haven't been through all that already but youre not happy by how Windows 10 feels especially if you can compare it to Windows 7 in a vm, manually installing from a boot drive or ISO has fixed this general issue every time for me.

This recently happened to me with Win10 in a VM (in which 8.1 ran like a champ), and sure enough the reinstall trick worked perfectly. It is now at least as snappy as 8.1 was.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redeyes posted:

Don't be so hard on yourself.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redeyes posted:

Hoooboy, that is some nice distilled misogyny right there!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The UWP applications in the search window have stopped displaying their icon/thumbnail for me. They show up in the start menu and on the task bar; only in search does this happen. All other programs and files show up normally.
Anyone have any ideas on how to get them back? I've tried rebuilding the search index but that didn't fix this.

bobfather posted:

I did the same recently as well, and it was rather nice having a consistent window theme throughout.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

redeyes posted:

Look i'm not fighting with people. I just want control over updates for customers that need that. If Pro works now, great. I swear up and down that GPE policy didn't used to work. If it does now, thank god, I don't need to complain anymore.

You aren't crazy or fighting, windows just sucks a fat one and is wildly inconsistent these days

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

redeyes is Right

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
:ughh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ratbert90 posted:

Wait, what?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cool windows 10 on my laptop did a routine update and now I'm sitting here 30 minutes after hitting update trying to create windows repair media because the laptop won't boot now.

The future sucks.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Nobody cares and he’s not a misogynist. Stop being precious.

I admit I came across as a dick and for that I apologise. My point was that it’s always worked, I have used it since the day I installed Win10 2 years ago because my 5Mbit Internet would otherwise choke to uselessness when updates occurred if I was trying to do anything else. Nevertheless, I’ve seen him repeatedly protest that there’s simply no way to resolve this ‘problem’ when it is in fact resolved and has been for ages. The edge cases he invents to describe it not working either don’t exist or are theoretical.

Locking it away behind a group policy means that those who get Pro and seek out the group policy are largely the same group who will actually install updates. Users who just buy a laptop to ‘just work’ end up on Home, and they’re largely the same users who wouldn’t manually install updates if they had the option. Forcing them to install updates rather than letting them set it to install manually the first time it inconveniences them, only to then have them subsequently ignore it, is a good move.

This is an infinitely preferable solution to having legions of PCs on the net without updates, which fucks everybody. We went through this with XP SP3’s first steps to more security, followed by Vista and UAC. poo poo broke, users complained about their inconvenience, and then everyone worked it out. It was necessary Then due to increasing malware issues then and it’s the same thing again now, particularly with ransomware.

The whole patching thing is this decade’s UAC. In 5 years no one will care about automatic updates; it’ll become normal (good) habit to let them through periodically and we’ll all be better for it. Of course, just as bad software had to be redesigned not to write to program files, so too will software have to maintain its state better across reboots.

History shows that such changes won’t come if MS keeps waiting, they have to apply the change, endure the bad PR, and finally have everyone align for the better. They’re between a rock and hard place. Users don’t actually think about anything past their immediate future, especially when security is involved. Many app developers also don’t care about security and preference lazy solutions over correct ones. MS, as a result, has to force users and app developers to do the right thing, even if it causes pain and results in bad PR for them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We're going to force you to patch

:v: Ok that makes sense

We're also going to let the Updater continue to be an opaque, flimsy piece of poo poo that breaks forever if you look at it wrong.

Great, time to stop wuauserv and do that ritual again.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

The whole patching thing is this decade’s UAC. In 5 years no one will care about automatic updates; it’ll become normal (good) habit to let them through periodically and we’ll all be better for it. Of course, just as bad software had to be redesigned not to write to program files, so too will software have to maintain its state better across reboots.

History shows that such changes won’t come if MS keeps waiting, they have to apply the change, endure the bad PR, and finally have everyone align for the better. They’re between a rock and hard place. Users don’t actually think about anything past their immediate future, especially when security is involved. Many app developers also don’t care about security and preference lazy solutions over correct ones. MS, as a result, has to force users and app developers to do the right thing, even if it causes pain and results in bad PR for them.
I've seen little to no evidence of programs improving on the front of preserving state in case of sudden restarts.

And the problem isn't actually the forced updates. It's the opaque, unpredictable, and sudden way they trigger reboots.

If every update resulted in a guaranteed notice that let you pick a time to reboot, everything would be fine. But they're so aggressive about trying to reboot immediately that things get screwed up all the time. Sometimes it lets you schedule a reboot, and sometimes you come back to a computer that's been at a password prompt for hours or is shut off entirely.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I honestly don't get how anyone doesn't see that's the real issue. Yes, the idiots who put off updating forever get what they deserve, but what about those who try to do the right thing, like mcbexx (sp?) and get shafted?

Opacity is the perfect word for the problem, and even some of the idiots wouldn't be complaining as much if there were more transparency.

Fortunately I hate win10 for a whole slew of other reasons, so I don't have to deal with that particular poo poo (yet). Viva la 8.1 + Classic Shell!

(I follow this thread both for the entertainment and to help be prepared if I ever run it as my daily driver, which continues to look ever less likely).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
i'm gonna install Windows XP with hacked DirectX10 files and Embedded POS updates, for maxxximum framerates

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, windows decided to install 1709 a couple days ago, and now my game desktop is working well again. Even task manager, which took a literal minute to open after a couple days of uptime opens instantly now.

:shrug:

Alpha Mayo posted:

i'm gonna install Windows XP with hacked DirectX10 files and Embedded POS updates, for maxxximum framerates

afaik a fresh install of win10 is going to give you better performance in most games these days. :v:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't go back to Windows 7 let alone XP. I can't even imagine how horrible XP would feel like :gonk:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

I can't go back to Windows 7 let alone XP. I can't even imagine how horrible XP would feel like :gonk:

Wuss. Half the lab equipment I have to work with is on Windows XP, the other half is Windows 2000.
They recently moved the equipment that ran on a Windows 98se computer (originally Win 95) that interfaced through an ISA-to-PCI converter to a different site.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I installed XP on a VM to use some obscure software (Microsoft gives away basically all versions of XP for free now) and it was actually more painful than I would have guessed. The internet basically does not function through any browser I could get my hands on. I was pretty surprised by that tbh

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Does any other currently available OS force updates and reboots? I'm not talking about pushy notifications or constant nags, I mean full on "we're taking control of your computer now and doing it, go gently caress yourself."

iOS doesn't. macOS doesn't. Linux doesn't. Android doesn't.

Windows really is far outside the norm in this regard.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

I installed XP on a VM to use some obscure software (Microsoft gives away basically all versions of XP for free now) and it was actually more painful than I would have guessed. The internet basically does not function through any browser I could get my hands on. I was pretty surprised by that tbh

Firefox 52 didn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

1gnoirents posted:

Was the networking actually working?