Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJ lost in regulation. :smith:

New Jersey and the Isles also lost, so they're still in a playoff spot somehow. :unsmith:

Fancy Cats are in range of all of them and the Canes. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The east is a tire fire if the Fancy Cats are in range :psyduck:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Schremp Howard posted:

And Taylor Crosby's bio reading "older brother Sidney also plays hockey"

Lol, I forgot about that. Perfect.

bub spank posted:

Step 1: Trade young, good Zibanejad for older, declining but also good Brassard

Step 2: One year later, aggressively shop Brassard despite having no other internal options for 2nd line centre.

I have no idea what this team is doing other than desperately flailing around trying to cut salary to save Melnyk money. They trade away their first rounder to go all in on Duchene, and then immediately turned around and started selling assets to try to tank.

Unless the Sens are picking top 3 this year, the best strategy would appear to be to just let Colorado take their 1st this year, because next year’s is almost definitely going to be worse. And if they’re doing this, they may as well go all-in and cut ties with Duchene, Stone, and Hoffman as well. A full-out tank and cap-floor spending would definitely save Melnyk some money.

e: I’m starting to get that feeling of hopelessness that I’m guessing Leafs fans had in the Poulin era. There’s basically no chance of this team being good or entertaining until Melnyk is gone.

Luckily Duchene's value has skyrocketed since coming to Ottawa.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is this real?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Likely. The chyron probably flips between saying "Phil Kessel" and "Amanda's brother".

Also yay flyers did the thing last night

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Here yall have some neato pictures of :cop: doing the HHH spritz

https://twitter.com/KateFresePhoto/status/966840459497803777

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DJExile posted:

Here yall have some neato pictures of :cop: doing the HHH spritz

https://twitter.com/KateFresePhoto/status/966840459497803777

Majestic

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that grabner return is pretty reasonable i guess

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

iospace posted:

Looking at points pace over the last 20 games, the Caps are probably just above the mess that will be the wildcard fight in the East, lucky for them. Their 90 point pace should keep them above the Devils (73) after they get passed by the Pens (127) and Flyers (123). Holtby should also recover some from his .883 in that time, but this is a really mediocre team being carried by the offense of Ovechkin, Calrson, and Lars Eller. lol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

iospace posted:

WSH 75
PIT 74
PHI 74
NJD 70
CBJ 65
NYI 65
CAR 64
FLA 60

Everybody in the Metro except Pittsburgh and, somehow, Philadelphia have been mediocre the last few weeks (Caps, Isles, Canes all 4-4-2, Devils 4-6-0, CBJ 3-6-1).

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I like the idea of the Rangers acquiring a draft+2y defenseman. The rest of this season is giving them a good look at most of the young D in their organization, so they have a very good idea of what to expect next year. Whether or not they can get a few solid NHL defenders out of this group determines how long the rebuild will take - if they can, we're looking at 3-4 years. If they can't, they either need to build through the draft for a 5-6 year rebuild (unlikely) or trade guys like Miller, Hayes, and Kreider to get young defensemen.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Fun fact: the 2nd rounder that the Sens gave up to avoid paying Brassard’s 2 million signing bonus is probably going to be 35th overall or better.

Fantastic asset management by Dorion, definitely worth his recent extension. Next up, ruining the return for Karlsson by shackling him to Ryan in any trade. If that fails, maybe they can give up a lottery pick to get someone to pick up his contract.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 23, 2018

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
6 years for josh bailey

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

6 years for josh bailey

Seems like a bad idea, unless it's a precondition for keeping Tavares.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bub spank posted:

Fun fact: the 2nd rounder that the Sens gave up to avoid paying Brassard’s 2 million signing bonus is probably going to be 35th overall or better.

Fantastic asset management by Dorion, definitely worth his recent extension. Next up, ruining the return for Karlsson by shackling him to Ryan in any trade. If that fails, maybe they can give up a lottery pick to get someone to pick up his contract.

And we traded it for Brendan loving Smith.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bub spank posted:

The Sens will also almost certainly be bad again next year, and the Avs get their 1st rounder no matter what so they probably surrendered a top 5 pick for Duchene (a guy who'll probably go UFA next year).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

WSH 75
PIT 74
PHI 74
NJD 70
CBJ 65
NYI 65
CAR 64
FLA 60

Everybody in the Metro except Pittsburgh and, somehow, Philadelphia have been mediocre the last few weeks (Caps, Isles, Canes all 4-4-2, Devils 4-6-0, CBJ 3-6-1).

Philly's top 2 lines have really been clicking lately, and Nolan Patrick has very much found his rhythm. They've also done a hell of a job of taking far less penalties and I think went 3 straight games without putting an opponent on the PP, which is really good because Philadelphia's PK has been 100% rear end.

For all of the very justifiable criticisms of Hakstol (and yes, they're still there), he seems to be improving in some situations.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/967073429475049472

also rip

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie/status/967075287333613569

The whole Bob thread is worth reading. In brief, even though the Sens aren’t going to be concerned about cap space for the next 4-5 years, they’re completely kneecapping themselves on the Karlsson trade because Melnyk wants to cut the player budget. This is the dumbest team.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why would anyone still cheer for the Sens at this point? It’s incredibly obvious the front office doesn’t give a poo poo about winning now or in the future. It’s a team who’s sole purpose is to make their billionaire owner more money. Why would anyone support that?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Why do I feel like the inconvenience of taking on Ryan's contract in exchange for picking up Karlsson could be a Jarmo Special...?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

It’s a team who’s sole purpose is to make their billionaire owner more money. Why would anyone support that?

this is literally every team in professional sports though

Josh Bailey's deal
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/967078282138021888

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

A Typical Goon posted:

Why would anyone still cheer for the Sens at this point? It’s incredibly obvious the front office doesn’t give a poo poo about winning now or in the future. It’s a team who’s sole purpose is to make their billionaire owner more money. Why would anyone support that?

It blows my mind that he somehow makes Dolan look good.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Yep. Until Melnyk is gone the Sens are not a real franchise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

Tickets are cheap and they're only a 4 hour drive from downtown Ottawa.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

A Typical Goon posted:

The attendance figures suggest the fanbase is overwhelmingly tuning out

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

corn on the cop posted:

That'll change with quickness if his cheap rear end deals Karlsson to save money.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

corn on the cop posted:

I'm kind of glad that Ottawa and Montreal are both bottoming out. It'll make it a lot cheaper to see the Jets when they come in April.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

That'll change with quickness if his cheap rear end deals Karlsson to save money.

tuning out, not turning out

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Duck Rodgers posted:

I'm kind of glad that Ottawa and Montreal are both bottoming out. It'll make it a lot cheaper to see the Jets when they come in April.

The Jets rule, Blake Wheeler should get the Hart

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

So basically the Sens are the Pirates, Karlsson is McCutchen, and Melnyk is Nutting?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

A Typical Goon posted:

I mean, I'm still a fan of the Redskins. Sorta. I enter every season completely cynically with no hope, but I still watch some games and hope they win. Obviously I don't wear any of the racist merch or give Dan Snyder any money. And I'd punch him in the face in a heartbeat if I met him on the street. But it's my hometown team and I can't change that!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Doctor Syrup posted:

So basically the Sens are the Pirates, Karlsson is McCutchen, and Melnyk is Nutting?

Nutted but Sens still sucking.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Doctor Syrup posted:

Hey, the Pirates actually made a good trade yesterday! Because they found someone tanking and cheaping out even harder

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Nutted but Sens still sucking.

moddddddddddssssssss

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Luckily the Leafs can’t possibly fall out of their playoff spot, but if he misses more than a month then that’s the season. Only bright side would be maybe Lou wouldn’t be a buyer at the deadline if he’s out.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Imagine if the Senators were smart and just traded Turris for Girard, Kamenev, and a 2nd, then kept their 1st, 3rd, and their 1st from last year.

Then they'd actually be in a good position to start a rebuild.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zodijackylite posted:

Imagine if the Senators were smart and just traded Turris for Girard, Kamenev, and a 2nd, then kept their 1st, 3rd, and their 1st from last year.

Then they'd actually be in a good position to start a rebuild.

The Preds thank the Sens for Turris, and the Avs thank the Preds for Girard.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Zodijackylite posted:

Imagine if the Senators were smart

I’ll stop you here

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
:argh: ^^^

Zodijackylite posted:

Imagine if the Senators were smart

Hmm, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The other side effect of the Matthews injury is it has idiot Leafs fans (aka most of them) up in arms about how Martin should be in the lineup for “protection” which is still possibly the stupidest concept in hockey

• Locked thread