Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gay Horney posted:

I'm pretty sure Kelvin annihilated weidman at one point? Didn't he drop him hard at the end of round one

Yeah blasted him really hard, probably would have got him if it wasn't for the bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Gay Horney posted:

I'm pretty sure Kelvin annihilated weidman at one point? Didn't he drop him hard at the end of round one

yeah. here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-JQD15xtL0

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Memento posted:

Yeah blasted him really hard, probably would have got him if it wasn't for the bell.

he made his way back to his feet on a single leg and then was defending against the fence like with vitor's rush when the bell sounded and he jogged back to his corner

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
he jogged back to the trash heap of history, where he remains to this day

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

maybe he needed to take a really big poo poo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sad state of affairs that the penultimate piece of trash on the trash pile that chris weidman took an emergency poo poo on is going to annihilate jacare and fight for the title.

actually kelvin / whittaker would be cool.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I didn't realize this but two out of Kelvins three losses have come against champs. one of whom he nearly kayoed. the other one was a narrow split over Neil Magny who was at the height of his powers at the time and was wrestling everybody to boring decisions.
In the meantime he's blasted through three former champs (granted, they were Vitor, Bisping, and Hendricks) and scored a win over Kennedy while he was giving top guys trouble. Souza is a great fight for him

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

yes, he did. It was one of those 'if the round had been 10 seconds longer' type of deals

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Instead of arguing about it I just watched it. Weidman dropped into the cage assfirst, but his neck didn't go limp. He grabbed a desperation single and rode out the last 10 seconds. He was lucid when talking to his corner and sharp at the begining of the next round.

It was a bad spot but by no means desperate like when Weidman got smashed by Romero or Moose.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Instead of arguing about it I just watched it. Weidman dropped into the cage assfirst, but his neck didn't go limp. He grabbed a desperation single and rode out the last 10 seconds. He was lucid when talking to his corner and sharp at the begining of the next round.

It was a bad spot but by no means desperate like when Weidman got smashed by Romero or Moose.

Correct. But besides that, the fight was over 10 minutes long and kelvin had a full 10 seconds of anything resembling success. It was not a close fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://instagram.com/p/Bfg3TieneWR/?utm_source=ig_embed

Mark Henry's not impressed with McGregor. Pretty much on point though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mate told me kevin lee is fighting barboza. that would be sick.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I don't understand Kevin Lee. I watch a lot of fights and Lee has been in the UFC since 2014 and didn't pop up even near my radar until his fight with Michael Chiesa. He looked ok in there and maybe I need to go back and watch some of his fights. Any suggestions that showcase his skillset really well?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Untrustable posted:

I don't understand Kevin Lee. I watch a lot of fights and Lee has been in the UFC since 2014 and didn't pop up even near my radar until his fight with Michael Chiesa. He looked ok in there and maybe I need to go back and watch some of his fights. Any suggestions that showcase his skillset really well?

Vs Leonardo Santos.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

I didn't realize this but two out of Kelvins three losses have come against champs. one of whom he nearly kayoed. the other one was a narrow split over Neil Magny who was at the height of his powers at the time and was wrestling everybody to boring decisions.
In the meantime he's blasted through three former champs (granted, they were Vitor, Bisping, and Hendricks) and scored a win over Kennedy while he was giving top guys trouble. Souza is a great fight for him

Kelvin.. is good?

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Untrustable posted:

He dressed up like a hip sushi chef and insulted Michael Chiesa's mom once. Thusly, a star was made.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
it's crazy that jacare has basically 0 mma career accomplishments (aside from beating a shitload of good fighters) despite being so good. he couldn't even defend the strikeforce title.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
when he lost the strikeforce title his striking was much crappier then that it is now, and it seems his gas was worse. he threw barely anything other than single strikes and was flat-footed from earlier in the fight. rockhold's hairline was also lower then, making him more powerful

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

it's crazy that jacare has basically 0 mma career accomplishments (aside from beating a shitload of good fighters) despite being so good. he couldn't even defend the strikeforce title.

he would've had ufc middleweight champion as an accomplishment if he got the title shot he deserved when weidman was champ imo

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
dunno about that. my sense of timing might be off but i feel like jacare developed fully until at least towards the end of weidman's reign, and i don't think he outstrips weidman in striking or wrestling, certainly not when they're both fresh. both have shown they gas. later on he might wear weidman down, especially with how he's performed lately.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Untrustable posted:

He talks poo poo, wrestles the gently caress out of people then chokes them. There isn't much to get.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

Triticum Guzzler posted:

he would've had ufc middleweight champion as an accomplishment if he got the title shot he deserved when weidman was champ imo

i think so too. maybe if he didn't get robbed against yoel. but then whittaker turned up. mma is just such a weird sport where ultra talented guys are in the wrong place at the wrong time, but michael bisping or matt serra get to be champion.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

mma is just such a weird sport where ultra talented guys are in the wrong place at the wrong time

ya. jacare's not one of those dudes who had it all but just couldn't put it all together, he more or less consistently put it all together and then it never happened for him because???

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I've firmly planting my feet in the "Kelvin is going to get mauled" camp. I don't have faith in him hanging with the upper echelon of that weight class so we'll see if he proves me wrong or not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Dave posted:

I've firmly planting my feet in the "Kelvin is going to get mauled" camp. I don't have faith in him hanging with the upper echelon of that weight class so we'll see if he proves me wrong or not.

The gator is just the type of person Kelvin plows through, though. I don't souza has the wrestling to bully Kelvin the way that a guy like weidman can.

edit: just went back to watch the end of the Gastelum/Marquardt fight again. Dan Mirgliotta should have stopped the fight in rd 2, but Trevor Whitman is one of my favorite cornermen after that fight.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 23, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

To my eyes, jacare has crazy subs, and legitimately scary power in his hands, but his wrestling was never better than pretty good and his technical ability with his hands is limited. Essentially, his skill set means he should be able to annihilate everyone except the championship echelon. And that's pretty much how his career played out.

If he had better wrestling to utilise his subs or better technical striking to land his power, he'd be champ. But he doesn't. So he isn't.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Kelvin is my spirit animal. I hope he can get through Jacare.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kelvin would be the 170lbs champ but for his love of burritos.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

ya. jacare's not one of those dudes who had it all but just couldn't put it all together, he more or less consistently put it all together and then it never happened for him because???

Probably because at the time he was ready for a title shot the UFC was too busy trying to hype white, english speaking fighters to give him a fair chance at being a champion.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i think kelvin is gonna gently caress jacare up if he can keep it standing

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

mate told me kevin lee is fighting barboza. that would be sick.

that would be sick

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Kelvin would be the 170lbs champ but for his love of burritos.

Kelvin would dominate 170 and be a star but he'd rather stuff his face and fight washed up middleweights.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

eric posted:

Kelvin would dominate 170 and be a star but he'd rather stuff his face and fight washed up middleweights.

I mean hey, nice work if you can get it

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

so far all the fights for tomorrows fox card are on, with only perez missing weight by .5 lbs.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The what?!
How are there somehow more fights this weekend

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Marching Powder posted:

If he had better wrestling to utilise his subs or better technical striking to land his power, he'd be champ. But he doesn't. So he isn't.

Having gotten a title shot would also have helped.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gay Horney posted:

The what?!

Not only that, but it's in Florida so the three goon amigos will be there again. I have no idea where our seats our this time and will likely be thinking about the parole evidence rule the entire time but it should be fun regardless.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Gay Horney posted:

The what?!

Just enjoy watching a man brain a dwarfism stricken Nosferatu in this, The Year of Jeremy Stephens.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
e; wrong thread sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not only that, but it's in Florida so the three goon amigos will be there again. I have no idea where our seats our this time and will likely be thinking about the parole evidence rule the entire time but it should be fun regardless.

should be good

• Locked thread