Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I wish i wasn't so bad and lazy at environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pentaro posted:

A wealthy socialité.

(Should I tag this? :ohdear: )

Tag it #MorningFace

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
:commissar:

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Haha, that’s great. Inspired by the Chase bank painter? :)

More painting practice with Caravaggio. Any critique appreciated!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sinc posted:

Haha, that's great. Inspired by the Chase bank painter? :)

One thing to watch is the background. Caravaggio saves the darkest darks for his shadows in order to create a clear delineation between David and the background. This is clearest on the right side of his ribcage underneath his shoulder: in yours, the dark shadow blends too much with the background, which makes his ribcage seem truncated.

Speaking of painting practice, I'm starting to get down to brass tacks myself and really push to learn good digital painting techniques. Focusing on value studies for the moment; here's Fordola rem Lupis:

Think it turned out alright, but I hosed up the mandible and didn't blend some of the skin portions as well as I would've liked to. Still trying to decide when it's optimal to hand blend versus pulling out the Blend tool, especially for softer edges. Does anyone who use Krita have recommendations for a good blending brush?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

sinc posted:

Haha, that’s great. Inspired by the Chase bank painter? :)

Without looking at the original, you need to work on forshortening. The hand is disproportionately small in comparison to the head...assuming it's not some David and goliath picture.

FE: yeah it actually is. Oopsy. Not deleting that. Mobile laziness.

The sword is bent, and doesn't follow a uniform plane for being laid upon his shoulder.

Goliath's left cheek (his actual left) kinda lacks definition and feels flat in comparison to the composition.

Really solid work overall. :thumbsup:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sinc posted:

Haha, that’s great. Inspired by the Chase bank painter? :)]

yep, i was thinking "what would a holomarx be lording over" then i remembered seeing that stuff earlier that day

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/966360539424284673

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Loose life drawing just havin fun with it

Trying to be more realistic

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/966456844670693376

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I wish i wasn't so bad and lazy at environments.

HAHAHAHA I'd say "same" but you've spent loads more effort on that bg than I can ever muster on mine, if that's what you always do I wouldn't worry honestly.

You already said it's a holomarx, but when I looked at it, I was delighted by the sight of the ghost of Marx burning down Most Important Capitalist Building.

Vermain posted:

Think it turned out alright, but I hosed up the mandible and didn't blend some of the skin portions as well as I would've liked to. Still trying to decide when it's optimal to hand blend versus pulling out the Blend tool, especially for softer edges. Does anyone who use Krita have recommendations for a good blending brush?

I don't have Krita, but when I wanna blend soft edges (not often), I pick an "airbrush" that's basically all soft definition and no hard edge, then turn the opacity to almost nothing. Then I pick a colour from either side of your edge, and push a bit to the side of the other colour, creating a middle ground. Then I use the colourpicker to pick a colour from the between-colour that I just created, and paint that to both sides of the edge area. You might have to go back and forth for a bit before you get a smooth result.
A nitpick: The line of the collar doesn't quite work out, and you've followed the same line through the collar for both the shoulders and the shirt, which implies the shirt has no thickness at all.

My art for today is called "what did I just say about backgrounds"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You already said it's a holomarx, but when I looked at it, I was delighted by the sight of the ghost of Marx burning down Most Important Capitalist Building.

who's to say a ghost can't also be a hologram???????

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Happy Dog Year! Time to draw my favorite dog of all time!

sinc
Jul 6, 2008

dog nougat posted:

Without looking at the original, you need to work on forshortening. The hand is disproportionately small in comparison to the head...assuming it's not some David and goliath picture.

FE: yeah it actually is. Oopsy. Not deleting that. Mobile laziness.

:lol: I should just have put the painting title in, it’s indeed unusually relevant in this case.

Thanks for the comments all :)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Happy Dog Year! Time to draw my favorite dog of all time!

Hi! We had the same idea for what to draw for today!! It's because Poochy is very good.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/966566920135872513

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Fun with acrylics:

I didn't had anything in mind while painting, just winged it while mixing colours. It's been a hot while since the last time I used wet media (and it shows!)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Fixing hair based on the advice of this thread.

Causing me a certain amount of anxiety to paint over the manadala but hey... it's only paint right?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Today was not what I'd call an inspired day.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I continue to be tired and uninspired.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/966823654461005824

But, I also continue to at least draw daily, so it's okey.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Fixing hair based on the advice of this thread.

Causing me a certain amount of anxiety to paint over the manadala but hey... it's only paint right?

i've been meaning to ask, is this your bar or a friends bar or something? or is this for a client?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
No take backsie drawing is both thrilling and infuriating

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Sharpest Crayon posted:

HAHAHAHA I'd say "same" but you've spent loads more effort on that bg than I can ever muster on mine, if that's what you always do I wouldn't worry honestly.

But worrying makes me try

Yours works well without a complicated background. I like it.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 23, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Today was not what I'd call an inspired day.

Bun buns.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/966933316271140865

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
High concept stickfigure art you say?

(my 9 day trip to Iceland)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Al! posted:

i've been meaning to ask, is this your bar or a friends bar or something? or is this for a client?

It's a little of both. My work is hanging up there so... what better way to promote a show? People also enjoy the progress and watching it develop over time. I live less than 10 min away so I work on it when I can.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
So hey how long has it been since I last drew a cyberorc? Way too long, yeah?

I'm very pleased with how androgynous I got the face, getting it juuuust right so you don't veer too far either side is a fun balancing act every time but it's hard.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

I had a spare half an hour so had a crack at drawing Willem Dafoe.

Im basically cranking out half an hour drawings and never spending too long on them before moving onto the next at the moment.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

So hey how long has it been since I last drew a cyberorc? Way too long, yeah?

I'm very pleased with how androgynous I got the face, getting it juuuust right so you don't veer too far either side is a fun balancing act every time but it's hard.

I really like the hair here. Love how you've managed to build it up from such a few shapes. I'm jealous!

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 24, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Before I got to the text while scrolling I recognized Willem!

So a GBS goon has paranasal cancer and instead of doing my own Gina and Goody (lady version of Goofus and Gallant) thread I'm putting all the panels in his thread to try to get it views which might lead to donations.

His username is Carrion Luggage and here is how I introduced Gina...

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/967242526255132672

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
^^ This is cool; I enjoy that you're experimenting with a different style! Looks ace.

Spinster posted:

Before I got to the text while scrolling I recognized Willem!

Fantastic! I'm starting to realise that making a picture look like someone isn't about being as accurate as possible; it's about recognising the defining features of a person and highlighting them. So I'm glad it worked :downs:

Spinster posted:

So a GBS goon has paranasal cancer and instead of doing my own Gina and Goody (lady version of Goofus and Gallant) thread I'm putting all the panels in his thread to try to get it views which might lead to donations.

His username is Carrion Luggage and here is how I introduced Gina...

And suddenly that thread makes much more sense. I clicked in after it had already got to multiple pages and your pictures were confusing me, thought it had gone off on a massive derail haha.

This one is confusing me slightly. Is it like...a water bubble city getting hit by lightning? The effects real cool, but I'm struggling to understand what Im actually looking at.

EDIT: In other questions, I quite fancied drawing a picture of Antonio Gramsci. My own issue is that not many pictures of him exist that I can find. Most sources of him are either black and white high contrast photos or pencil drawings/paintings of him.

Does anyone have any tips on sort of...filling in the blanks when drawing someone - adding details that are probably there but have been lost in the final picture/painting for what ever reason.

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 24, 2018

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

d3c0y2 posted:

EDIT: In other questions, I quite fancied drawing a picture of Antonio Gramsci. My own issue is that not many pictures of him exist that I can find. Most sources of him are either black and white high contrast photos or pencil drawings/paintings of him.

Does anyone have any tips on sort of...filling in the blanks when drawing someone - adding details that are probably there but have been lost in the final picture/painting for what ever reason.
Take note of anything peculiar about his face, comparing where his features are vs. a more "average" face, and then find reference of someone with a similar head shape—try to draw that person but with the features and such fudged over to be closer to his particular features.
It may take a few sketches before you notice you're really getting somewhere with that, but that's sort of what I do (and it's a very similar thing for bodies where you can't find a full body reference you might want).

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Now when I look at Gina I cringe at the bowlingballness of her breasts, oh well I guess goons will assume they are implants. Here's breasts from today, I'm still improving fast enough to be tickled (probably because I've never drawn much in my life.)

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Spinster posted:

Now when I look at Gina I cringe at the bowlingballness of her breasts, oh well I guess goons will assume they are implants. Here's breasts from today, I'm still improving fast enough to be tickled (probably because I've never drawn much in my life.)

Aaaaargh the chafing nightmare! It's like when you got a hole in a sock and one of your toes keeps popping out, but so much worse!
It's too bad you can't use those fantastic coverups on the nips here.
I absolutely assumed Gina's got some surgical enhancements on her tiddies.

Today's drawing is kitties.

I tried to make it not-creepy mentor-student thing but I'm not so sure it worked out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

d3c0y2 posted:

This one is confusing me slightly. Is it like...a water bubble city getting hit by lightning? The effects real cool, but I'm struggling to understand what Im actually looking at.

sometimes i dont even really know what i'm drawing, i just wanted to see lightning striking some kind of bubble of sorts and it evolved into that

speaking of which heres a sleeping guy worm thing

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I thought to myself: maybe if I did two pieces today nobody will notice that I was too tired to do anything yesterday and broke my streak.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/967557811948457984

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/967557966676283393

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Today's drawing is kitties.

I tried to make it not-creepy mentor-student thing but I'm not so sure it worked out.

Might almost belong in the cursed images thread.

No, seriously though, I really like how creepy it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Do you guys have favorite prompt sources?