Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

How can you enter this, of all threads, and expect us to not want to know every detail of botulism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

JacquelineDempsey posted:

[...] kinda had botulism on the brain.

Don't eat old rations, kids.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Tell us more about botulism nachos mama jackie

That particular strain is called “nacholism”

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

chitoryu12 posted:

I drank the loving Everclear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0a0f_ZCEB4

How do you even describe this? It has absolutely no flavor, and practically no smell even when you put your nose right to the shot glass. But after it goes down your throat, your mouth and throat slowly start to tingle and burn. It builds to the point where you have a sort of "freezing burning" feeling encompassing everything it touched and making you feel like you should probably go to a doctor.

Even now, 30 minutes later, I feel like I need to drink a gallon of water to clear my throat out. But it'll sure as hell get you drunk.

I don't know if I said this here, but Everclear neat tastes like an F-4 flyby sounds, which is to say impressive, but you feel it more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The first sign you shouldn’t drink 95% alcohol is that the bottle is room temperature but the liquid is cold in your mouth.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

occamsnailfile posted:

This one doesn't sound too bad though I'm not a huge salmon fan. I'd probably try it with a fairly dark beer for body against the vinegar. One of my friends who ironically doesn't drink has a book of historical punch recipes that he tries for parties--those are all meant for rich people so they generally don't contain 'scrabbled together components that may kill you' like traditional soldier booze recipes.

How can you not like salmon. Boggles the brain

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

How can you not like salmon.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Milo and POTUS posted:

How can you not like salmon. Boggles the brain

My fiance strongly dislikes the texture of cooked fish (and most raw fish), so I haven't had a good salmon in awhile. :sigh: When we go out to eat it's almost always what I order just out of longing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

FYI grilled salmon in teriyaki marinade doesn't resemble a fish in flavour or texture.
it may be worth a shot.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't mind smoked salmon or salmon in a Japanese roll.

But cooked salmon just is off putting for some reason.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Yeah, smoked salmon is the only kind I can palette outside sushi. Sushi is actually one of the only styles of seafood I do like much, most of the fish has a better texture when raw and the fishiness seems more muted.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Tempura sushi is my goto for introducing people who gag at thought of raw fish.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Another problem with seafood is that we eat the fish that can be cut into filets like other meats. Small fish like smelt and herring are good for you. But they're not prestigious, and they absolutely taste like fish, which puts off people who suck.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well tinned tuna in brine is good for you (and cheap) and some cooking methods can make it taste very much like chicken.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I love smoked salmon and will take all of it that you guys don't want. I also like cured salmon, raw salmon, and grilled salmon. One day, I will go to alaska and eat only salmon. I will turn pink green and gold and swim upstream to gently caress myself to death, and then be eaten by a bear. SALMON.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Halloween Jack posted:

Another problem with seafood is that we eat the fish that can be cut into filets like other meats. Small fish like smelt and herring are good for you. But they're not prestigious, and they absolutely taste like fish, which puts off people who suck.

The supreme fishy flavor of those little guys puts me off for sure. :(

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'm largely a non-fish-doer (except sushi for whatever reason), but as well as salmon I find tuna steak works pretty well too.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
A plate of "little fish" is awesome. But my wife is off put by their teeny little eyes staring at you as you gobble them down whole.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

At an asian market you might be able to find jars of crispy fried anchovies, often seasoned with chili. They're crunchy, salty, a little fishy, and maybe even spicy.

For tinned sardines, you want the boneless sardines in olive oil. Serve on crackers with a dressing of lemon juice and sriracha.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I could eat these for lunch every day.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plinkey posted:

Sardines in those little tins are great.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The mustard ones are great with rye toast

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Lladre posted:

A plate of "little fish" is awesome. But my wife is off put by their teeny little eyes staring at you as you gobble them down whole.

When I was a kid we would fish these out of the canals around our beach house and fry them just like this...small fry, pop right in the mouth.

Plinkey posted:

These too were common fare. My dad still eats them all the time. I prefer the spicy tomato sauce but I can’t find any in the US like they have in Europe...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So, like, how many bones are we talking about here with these fish? Every time I think eating bones my mind goes to ortolans.

I have to confess I've never tried this stuff, and I'm not entirely against it... but there is some trepidation.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They are such fine/(mushy I guess) bones that you don't even realize they have bones unless you go looking for them.

Like the difference between eating worms and snakes if you want to translate it to land-food.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I had a big piece of octopus tentacle (maybe 1.5" diameter) a while back, lightly battered and deep-fried, and it had the texture and appearance of chicken breast. Tasted a little like chicken breast too, but really juicy and full of flavor and with a very mild seafood element. Gonna have to try and make this for myself at some point.

Edit: sardine supremacy for everyday lunch though. I usually hit them with some Tabasco and eat them on saltines. Get them in oil, not water, or go to Trader Joe's and get a can of sardines in harissa.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When I was a kid we would fish these out of the canals around our beach house and fry them just like this...small fry, pop right in the mouth.

These too were common fare. My dad still eats them all the time. I prefer the spicy tomato sauce but I can’t find any in the US like they have in Europe...

Just go to Aldi. There are poo poo tons.

(I'm so sorry if you don't live near an Aldi. I remember those dark days.)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just go to Aldi. There are poo poo tons.

(I'm so sorry if you don't live near an Aldi. I remember those dark days.)

Aldi has good sardines?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
what's an Aldi?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

A bottom-barrel supermarket chain that cuts prices to the bone by paying their workers like crap and never cleaning the store.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lladre posted:

Hell yeah son.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lladre posted:

These are great, had them with a friend once and he ate a few then said "I feel like Satan."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gnoman posted:

A bottom-barrel supermarket chain that cuts prices to the bone by paying their workers like crap and never cleaning the store.

That must be why it's so hard to get hired there, just like at Trader Joe's. I wonder... is there a connection there somewhere?

He said, knowingly.

Plinkey posted:

They are such fine/(mushy I guess) bones that you don't even realize they have bones unless you go looking for them.

Like the difference between eating worms and snakes if you want to translate it to land-food.

Worms have bones now? :v:

(Also I kind of get it and these kind of fish are on my list of things to get around to trying, thank you for the explanation.)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I spent $60 on canned fish in Portugal, that poo poo is good mates

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Gnoman posted:

Man you have some hosed-up Aldi's where you're at. The ones here are in high demand for retail worker types because they pay the like 3 people who work there a lot better than, for example, Target. They do this by cutting costs in other areas, like you have to bring your own bags, and there's a machine out front where you have to put in a 25-cent deposit if you want to use a shopping cart.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
And a lot of the products are store brand only.

Edit: This applies from the .60 cent nut snacks to the $70 limited time (vacuums, mattresses, cookware sets, etc)

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 23, 2018

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Lidl has opened up stores in VA and should be expanding to other areas soon. Kind of a cross between Aldi and TJ's. Deffo a step up from Aldi. Their rolls etc. From the bakery are the best. Makes the whole store smell delicious (on purpose).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Plinkey posted:

Aldi has good sardines?

Herring is more common, but yes also sardines in my experience.

Also gently caress the haters, Aldi owns. O no I have to bag my own poo poo so the cashier makes something vaguely like a ghost of a living wage. The horror. The horror.

We moved so there's one in walking distance and I have literally never been happier.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

deadly_pudding posted:

Man you have some hosed-up Aldi's where you're at. The ones here are in high demand for retail worker types because they pay the like 3 people who work there a lot better than, for example, Target. They do this by cutting costs in other areas, like you have to bring your own bags, and there's a machine out front where you have to put in a 25-cent deposit if you want to use a shopping cart.

The branch here pays minimum wage ($8.75, while most of the other chains start at $10.00 or more), keeps getting caught stealing wages, and spends millions campaigning against minimum wage increases. The floor tiles are also black, despite being white when they were installed. This is because they figure out the minimum number of employees needed for the store to function, then hire a quarter as many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The Aldi here pays $15/hr, which is almost double minimum wage. The store is always clean and well cared for too. My impression is this is pretty standard for their stores in the US. They're never short of applications.

• Locked thread