Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AsInHowe posted:

I hope this doesn't affect Pretty Good with Jon Bois

I'm pretty sure that's just jon loving around on his own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

MourningView posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just jon loving around on his own

Yeah, I think Chart Party is the official SB Nation video work. Regardless, I hope he never stops producing either video series.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pvt. Public posted:

Yeah, I think Chart Party is the official SB Nation video work. Regardless, I hope he never stops producing either video series.

I mean it's still done through sbn but it's not like there are dedicated video people working on it with him, it's just jon goofing around with google earth and poo poo as far as I know

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so laying off 50 SBN people saves them, what, like $300 a year

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

:drat:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

MourningView posted:

I mean it's still done through sbn but it's not like there are dedicated video people working on it with him, it's just jon goofing around with google earth and poo poo as far as I know

Ah yeah, I see what you meant now. I read your post incorrectly. Yeah, as far as I know it is just Jon being Jon, humanity perfected.

DJExile posted:

:vince:

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

DJExile posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahhahaha

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

:sbahj:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel this has to be the new thread title in some way.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

DJExile posted:

don't forget all the valuable exposure they no longer have to give to those ungrateful freelancers

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

chunkles posted:

don't forget all the valuable exposure they no longer have to give to those ungrateful freelancers

But Darren Rovell says you should work for free!!!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Matt Ufford was one of the SBNation / Vox people let go yesterday. I enjoyed his stuff from the KSK days.

https://twitter.com/mattufford/status/966711600802607106

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PotatoJudge posted:

Matt Ufford was one of the SBNation / Vox people let go yesterday. I enjoyed his stuff from the KSK days.

https://twitter.com/mattufford/status/966711600802607106

Yeah this sucks, I know Uffsides was pretty lame but it was lame in an endearing way.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm pretty sure Dan Rubenstein (who also does The Solid Verbal outside of SBN) was one of the people let go but he hasn't said anything about it on Twitter yet

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

MourningView posted:

I'm pretty sure Dan Rubenstein (who also does The Solid Verbal outside of SBN) was one of the people let go but he hasn't said anything about it on Twitter yet

should've been Spencer Hall.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

Yep

https://twitter.com/DanRubenstein/status/967117533986902016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Copernic posted:

What in the actual gently caress

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Copernic posted:

Spencer rules

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Copernic posted:

Florida State fan spotted

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Vox Media stuff is always weird because Vox.com has like a daily article up about greedy CEOs laying off people to line their pockets with more money.

When the layoffs happened a bunch of writers on Vox.com had to rush to Twitter to explain "none of us on Vox.com were fired so you can still pretend we're the good guys" completely ignoring their company is one of the most exploitative in all of media.

https://twitter.com/DLind/status/966326080750616577

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Niwrad posted:

The Vox Media stuff is always weird because Vox.com has like a daily article up about greedy CEOs laying off people to line their pockets with more money.

When the layoffs happened a bunch of writers on Vox.com had to rush to Twitter to explain "none of us on Vox.com were fired so you can still pretend we're the good guys" completely ignoring their company is one of the most exploitative in all of media.

https://twitter.com/DLind/status/966326080750616577

I'm happy that I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Still is it possible for anyone to be worse than HuffPo?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i know this thread spends way too much time as the bill simmons bashing thread, but his column this week on jordan vs lebron might be the funniest thing i've read in a long time, i can't even describe it:

quote:

In the past 50 years, only Jordan, Ali and Tiger were so transcendent that everyone rooted for them during their primes. They unlocked the following achievement: unanimous approval.

quote:

Let’s travel back to the fall of 1997, back when Chicago was churning out two compelling dramas: Season 4 of ER and Jordan’s final Bulls season.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
lol at everyone loving Ali

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Ah yes, Muhammad Ali. The totally noncontroversial boxer who white people loved.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Bill Simmons has written this EXACT SAME Michael Jordan take for over TEN YEARS. Jokes on us for even clicking on IT. Like my friend K-Money says, " it's like the poor man's U2's Joshua's Tree." Listen, gun to your head, you'd trade the last five years of Simmons for at least THREE years of Larry Bird at the garden in 1986—Who says no!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this last one is such an absurd parody of simmons that i think it was written by an intern or an advanced neural network

BWV posted:

Bill Simmons has written this EXACT SAME Michael Jordan take for over TEN YEARS. Jokes on us for even clicking on IT. Like my friend K-Money says, " it's like the poor man's U2's Joshua's Tree." Listen, gun to your head, you'd trade the last five years of Simmons for at least THREE years of Larry Bird at the garden in 1986—Who says no!

i don't care about his take, it's the sentence "achievement unlocked: unanimous approval" that is killing me, such a deliciously awful turn of phrase that it's been rolling around my belly like a warm meal on a winter's night

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 24, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I hated Jordan when I was a kid and always rooted against the Bulls.

Edit: oh and a lot of people, myself included, hated Tiger even in his prime. To say nothing of what’s already been said about Ali.

It’s revisionist history, like the people that argue Jordan is better than LeBron because he never lost an NBA finals, despite all those years he never got there.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 24, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I hated Jordan when I was a kid and always rooted against the Bulls.

"Shoot it, you loving midget"

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

this last one is such an absurd parody of simmons that i think it was written by an intern or an advanced neural network

i don't care about his take, it's the sentence "achievement unlocked: unanimous approval" that is killing me, such a deliciously awful turn of phrase that it's been rolling around my belly like a warm meal on a winter's night

as a THOUGHT leader and INFLUENCER of CONTENT in this media landscape Bill Simmons, FOUNDER of The Ringer dot com, is an adaptive writer willing to pivot for maximum wokeness.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Jordan and Tiger winning all the time ruined their respective sports for me. Unanimous approval my rear end

Also they're both dickheads

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

Oh so SB Nation literally aren't making videos any longer okay cool *deletes youtube subscription*

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Jordan and Tiger winning all the time ruined their respective sports for me. Unanimous approval my rear end

Also they're both dickheads

Jordan did a very good job of hiding that, though.

That said, I distinctly remember hearing people say guys like him (exactly what you think it means) were ruining the game.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HMS Beagle posted:

Ah yes, Muhammad Ali. The totally noncontroversial boxer who white people loved.

When he came back in his fights in the 70s he was definitely the biggest face in the sports world

also remember ali supported ronald reagan

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Tiger had near unanimous approval. And the public at large who barely cared about golf liked him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

GoutPatrol posted:

When he came back in his fights in the 70s he was definitely the biggest face in the sports world

And in his post-boxing years people would trip over themselves to sing his praises.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
It’s definitely more fun to watch amazing golfers than great golfers.

Watching tiger was great golf misses him. Tennis will miss these current greats when they retire too. Individual sports are better when the individuals are closer to god tier than not.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's incredible to me that to this day Simmons keeps doubling down on his dumbass Ali take.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I guess ER references are a step up from 90210 references

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 24, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

er just hit streaming, so it's timely again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Spencer Hall: Golf Journalist.

https://www.sbnation.com/features/2018/2/26/17027836/waste-management-phoenix-open-rickie-fowler-phil-mickelson