Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I don't know if it was the hurricane driving all the low rent contractors out of the woodwork or what, but I've seen an explosion in the number of Astro vans driving around recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I never really tied it in with shady contractors until you mentioned it, after a massive hailstorm a couple years ago, I noticed the same phenomena. Even a couple Aerostars.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Oh man the only places to still run astros and safaris are legit contractors with money to throw at repairs here. All the shady guys have moved to mostly old Caravans.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Didn't think to get a picture (or post about it at the time), but I saw a Bronco II at the grocery store a couple months ago. The only other one I've ever seen was my sister's, in the late '90s, parked in her yard with the engine disassembled in the back.

Speaking of Ford compact trucks, today I saw a last-gen MazdaB-series pickup (a rebadged Ford Ranger, according to Wikipedia they made them until 2006). I didn't know they made them for that long, and this one was mint, looked like it was new. I've seen maybe three in person -- one of which (an '80s model) belonged to an engineering student I had some classes with in college, who had converted it to electric. I remember it because he had sawed off part of the "B" on the fender logos to make them "E"s.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
These are all older, but they were still plentiful in my childhood and basically extinct as far as driveable cars now:

Le Car

Renault Fuego

Fiat X1/9

Triumph TR7

Porsche 914

Dodge Daytona/Laser esp. turbo models

Dodge Intrepids, despite not being that old:

Pontiac Grand Am SE Turbo or Quad 4:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I saw what I think was a Chevy Vega today.

grope proof vest
Jan 11, 2006

Breakfast Feud posted:

Has the entire "travel/road trip games" industry been killed by smart phones? How are the pocket-sized magnetic chess manufacturers doing?

My dad gave me an old car bingo game for a couple road trips back in the 90s:

Never spotted a Rambler :(

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Saw a broken down Aerostar van while out grabbing lunch today. Looks like yet another shady contractor, had about 5 different ladders strapped on top.

He had managed to move it about 30 feet by the time I passed him again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There are definitely still 914s around they're just all owned by Porsche people who are incredibly boring and hate driving their cars.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The GM Dustbuster vans - I haven't seen one in like a decade.

I have one... Need to make a thread about it and my other shitboxes.

Also: https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-oldsmobile-sillouette/6329968344.html

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 3, 2017

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

Previa_fun posted:

My first car was a '94 Eagle Vision with the 3.3L. Somehow the transmission never needed replacement up to 120K.

I had a '95 Intrepid ES 3.3L and the trans lasted over 130k. Was running fine when I traded it in and saw it running around a few years later. They were ok as long as you kept the fluid clean with legit Mopar ATF +3, and not Dexron/Mercon with a friction modifier. (like a shop tried to pull on me)

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Coworker needed some wheels for a few months while his car was in the shop and picked this up for $500. I haven't seen one of these in years... a vulcan V6 powered 97 Mercury Sable with over 400K miles

we found out that the paint under the hood and front bumper is blue, and the paint under the trunk and rear bumper is white, while the rest of the car is red.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

Number_6 posted:

These are all older, but they were still plentiful in my childhood and basically extinct as far as driveable cars now:

Le Car

All good ones!

but I don't think the LeCars even survived the 80's. Had a friend who had one and pieces of a bunch of others around 93/94. Literally impossible to find parts even at that time.

Has anyone mentioned datsun b210s? Those and honda cvcc's used to be fuckin everywhere in the 70's and early 80's. All rusted and gone back to the earth by the late 80's/1990.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I saw a Lincoln Blackwood the other day. Not a Mark Light, an actual honest Blackwood.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

I saw a Lincoln Blackwood the other day. Not a Mark Light, an actual honest Blackwood.

I haven't seen one since they were new. They must've sold like eight of them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't think I've ever seen one before, outside pictures. Wikipedia says they sold 3356 of them in one model year, and that's it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't think I've ever seen one before, outside pictures. Wikipedia says they sold 3356 of them in one model year, and that's it.

I've seen just the one, I think. Did it have the crazy tailgate?

donut
Feb 4, 2001

When they came out I was working at a high-end luggage shop. A customer pulled up to have us put his purchases in his trunk in a Blackwood. The trunk lid opened by itself (which was still pretty uncommon at that point), and I put his stuff in the carpeted "bed". I then attempted to close the trunk lid and the customer became irate- apparently his truck would not accommodate someone manually closing the power trunk lid. The whole thing struck me as completely ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I didn't see if it had the tailgate. It had the pinstriped bed like a fat guy in a suit in the 20s.

• Locked thread