Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Node posted:

So how do you survive for ten seconds against the Alpine Dragon on Path of the Damned. He only did 332 damage in one hit against Eder, with Deathblows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG-EQUC5gtU

And its exciting sequel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8c6Y7DUUJo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Man there are some people who are so much better at this game then I will ever be. I've got a half finished POTD run as a paladin that I started when White March P1 and 2 were out. I finished all of that except for the really hard area with the swamp dragons and the rest of Act 3 and Act 4. Trying to remember how to play the game after a year+ off is a bit intimidating, and I don't even know if my character builds make sense anymore with any patch changes.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dreylad posted:

I finished all of that except for the really hard area with the swamp dragons and the rest of Act 3 and Act 4.

That Swamp is probably the hardest area of the game. What a bunch of cunts. Act 3 and 4 are a pushover after that.

But it's normal that you're finding it hard to pick this up after a year to be honest.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Speaking of dragons, I've completely forgotten how to fight the adra dragon, and at level 13 I had 3 people die instantly the first time it fired off its breath weapon.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

sean10mm posted:

Speaking of dragons, I've completely forgotten how to fight the adra dragon, and at level 13 I had 3 people die instantly the first time it fired off its breath weapon.

Well your first mistake was probably to put everyone cluttered together in range of the breath :)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Furism posted:

Well your first mistake was probably to put everyone cluttered together in range of the breath :)

Yeah that was kind of obvious in retrospect. :haw:

Also didn't do the thing where you talk to the dragon hunter to get the scale breaker ability.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/966864619900846080

Its cool how we wonder for months about some Pillars 2 stuff and then rope kid just casually reveals significant game elements on a Thursday evening

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

2house2fly posted:

Its cool how we wonder for months about some Pillars 2 stuff and then rope kid just casually reveals significant game elements on a Thursday evening

So basically fully customizable if you want it to be?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Hodgepodge posted:

So basically fully customizable if you want it to be?

Yeah, basically:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/966878774493986817

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Which group does Vela belong to?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

2house2fly posted:

The Blood Pool is my favorite companion

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

The Blood Pool is my favorite companion

Josh plz make The Blood Pool a romancable companion in PoE 3 or earlier.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

2house2fly posted:

Interesting. I can see why your choices with, say Hiiravis/GM wouldn't matter in the Deadfire, but if Sagani isn't on the list I guess we're not visiting that part of the Deadfire. Maybe that's getting saved for the dlc, but you'd think they'd get the choices now if it was planned.

Weird to not include her at all, when she's a resident of the islands.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Chairchucker posted:

Which group does Vela belong to?
Twin Elms.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fintilgin posted:

Interesting. I can see why your choices with, say Hiiravis/GM wouldn't matter in the Deadfire, but if Sagani isn't on the list I guess we're not visiting that part of the Deadfire. Maybe that's getting saved for the dlc, but you'd think they'd get the choices now if it was planned.

I was hoping to see Sagani again, she has a strong resemblance to a member of my tribe and I always thought that was neat. The tribeswoman in question has two dogs and no foxes though.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Finally got a Legendary Adventure to occur but didn't get the Storied Adventurer achievement when it was completed... I guess I never got a Minor adventure at the start and now that's impossible? (Even with -6 from Hirelings I'm at 30 base prestige)

e: I do have 2 prisoners in my dungeon still so I might be able to wait for a slaver/something to get a temporary penalty - don't think I can get low enough for the number to matter though.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 23, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Fintilgin posted:

I'm assuming they're just not programmed in yet in those shots, since I doubt Maneha or Devil's endings would (hypothetically) mean much in Deadfire outside of small references or jokes - which, well, they'd (again hypothetically) just as easily do for Sagani or Hiravias.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was hoping to see Sagani again, she has a strong resemblance to a member of my tribe and I always thought that was neat. The tribeswoman in question has two dogs and no foxes though.

The important question is, can we pet them?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm assuming they're just not programmed in yet in those shots, since I doubt Maneha or Devil's endings would (hypothetically) mean much in Deadfire outside of small references or jokes - which, well, they'd (again hypothetically) just as easily do for Sagani or Hiravias.

Yeah, could be. Games out in like a month though. Should be just bigfixin and such going on now.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I wonder if we'll get to choose what the hell we were doing in the 5 years between games at the beginning of Deadfire. (Apart from raising a baby, obvs.) After all, at the end of Pillars, the Watcher immediately went on a long journey, but Deadfire takes place after a timeskip.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hodgepodge posted:

The important question is, can we pet them?

Yes, as far as I know all dogs that hang out at the harbor waiting for their people to come back from sea are love being petted. It did turn out that one dog just hung out there during the day while their owner was working at a store though.

CottonWolf posted:

I wonder if we'll get to choose what the hell we were doing in the 5 years between games at the beginning of Deadfire. (Apart from raising a baby, obvs.) After all, at the end of Pillars, the Watcher immediately went on a long journey, but Deadfire takes place after a timeskip.

Maybe we went back to lore college to get that degree?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Maybe we went back to lore college to get that degree?

We better be able to hang it in the Captains cabin, stick "Watcher, PhD" on the door, then be able to just point to it smugly whenever someone makes an argument we don't like (i.e. be completely insufferable).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Any word on if there's impact from keeping the dead priest's remains?

Edit:

Accretionist posted:

... you can also keep the remains of the dead priests murdered tortuously by Wirtan underneath the ruin of a destroyed burning temple ...

From that early quest

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Edit:

From that early quest

https://youtu.be/rgmidZn38Sk?t=51s

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Edit:

From that early quest

im expecting some boss to not fight you if you show it off like in icewind dale 2 if you drag dead cats with you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CottonWolf posted:

A long journey from Twin Elms back to Caed Nua to relax

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Long journey all the way to the bank to deposit my 40000 copper.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

CottonWolf posted:

Pacing back and forth in the keep, irritable and full of regret after realizing we could have gotten four god-oaths' worth of stat boosts.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cheston posted:

Pacing back and forth in the keep, irritable and full of regret after realizing we could have gotten four god-oaths' worth of stat boosts.

Yeah, I'm reasonably sure that in a quest to hunt a god, its probably going to be good to have not pissed off every god around.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

New backer update.

**SO GOOD, I CAN'T HANDLE SAWYER PUPPET

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man I'm so sad they didn't hit the Sea Monsters goal. I know there'll probably be some in the base game but it would have been so rad.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Some sort of shipcombat with a kraken or something would have been pretty rad, maybe we will get it in the dlc.

More importantly though that goal also had fishing which is now dead forever. :(

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Here’s a burning Q: is there a difference in material reward bw gunning down a ship in open water vs. boarding and scuttling it? You might normally expect that the latter could yield you more stuff.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Accretionist posted:

Same question but about that Pirate Captain's hat and sword. From the quest All Hands on Deck. The one where Marceno asks you to get his captain's sea chest back, containing his 'prized possessions'.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

i've been a good boy about Pillars of Eternity all these years so allow me to have an Entitled Gamer Moment:

Holy poo poo enough with the loving ships, I legit don't understand why they're focusing so much on a feature half the players are probably gonna either hate or ignore

whew got that off my chest, looking forward to playing PoE 2 soon!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Because a lot of people are excited about it. Also because if you don't like it, I am okay with people not playing the game because of it. I hope we're done with half-implementing major features and tiptoeing around how integral they are to the game experience (e.g., the Pillars I stronghold) because some people aren't going to like it. I would rather have a big chunk of our players get excited about something like the ships even if that means some people are turned off. IMO, that's vastly preferable to something like the stronghold that, setting aside other problems, is fundamentally secondary to your experience of playing Pillars I. While people liked the Battle of Yenwood Field and the other content leading up to it, the stronghold itself was received with a mixture of "it's okay" to "it's unobtrusive but I still don't like it."

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Here’s a burning Q: is there a difference in material reward bw gunning down a ship in open water vs. boarding and scuttling it? You might normally expect that the latter could yield you more stuff.

I've tried both but I didn't take screenshots. The impression I got was that the rewards were equal.

Enemy captains can be strong in combat but weak in ship battles, and vice versa, so there can be an advantage to either.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

Because a lot of people are excited about it. Also because if you don't like it, I am okay with people not playing the game because of it. I hope we're done with half-implementing major features and tiptoeing around how integral they are to the game experience (e.g., the Pillars I stronghold) because some people aren't going to like it. I would rather have a big chunk of our players get excited about something like the ships even if that means some people are turned off. IMO, that's vastly preferable to something like the stronghold that, setting aside other problems, is fundamentally secondary to your experience of playing Pillars I. While people liked the Battle of Yenwood Field and the other content leading up to it, the stronghold itself was received with a mixture of "it's okay" to "it's unobtrusive but I still don't like it."

People really didn't like the stronghold? You can build all of it without even being there, and the quests are a clever way to keep companions on the sidelines leveled up and still contributing to the group. It's so low effort on the player's part to get great value out of it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Too low effort, to be honest. Like, it's cool to hire the ogre to be your guard, or the Vicious War Criminal who happens along sometimes, but most of the hirelings are just guys whose "names" are just class descriptions and there's no reason to interact with them or think of them as anything except a thing that eats money and is sometimes killed when enemies storm the keep. You can take prisoners, and they just hang out in the cells and sometimes escape offscreen. Before the 3.0 patch which improved the whole stronghold massively, you'd have cruel lords and escaped thieves stopping by but, again, not doing anything or having any interaction. You could send your party members off on quests called "Average Adventure" from which they would return with a fine warhammer and some rubies. It just didn't feel especially there.

Anyway I'm not especially into the idea of ship battles, but having my own crew who sing shanties and we sail around having adventures sounds cool, not least because I've got fond memories of Skies Of Arcadia Legends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ginette Reno posted:

People really didn't like the stronghold? You can build all of it without even being there, and the quests are a clever way to keep companions on the sidelines leveled up and still contributing to the group. It's so low effort on the player's part to get great value out of it.

I think people felt let down by it because they were expecting it to be integral to the story or have more things to do.

On release particularly, it was just sort of.... there. You never got to sit on your throne and do cool things. You spent all this money improving your keep to get... lovely rest bonuses that were worse then an inn and required like 3 load screens. You spent all this money on fortifications and walls and nobody ever attacked it. Ok... :lol: you'd occasionally get a text blurb that said KEEP ATTACKED BY GOBLINS -10gp!!

It was just really obviously checking off a kickstarter promise reward box.

Ship looks cool and flavorful though, and I'm looking forward to the sea shanties.

• Locked thread