Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, sorry, should have clarified that part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, $199 is the new standard price (more or less) for the 500GB 960 EVO, simply because WD's been really eating away at their business with the WD Black being consistently ~$30-40 cheaper, and the Intel 760p (which I still don't think is available in a retail box yet) is offering comparable performance as well at the same price point. Wouldn't surprise me if it went back up to ~$230 simply because of the "Samsung tax," though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Samsung has been having it too good in the SSD market for too long, about time somebody lit a fire up their rear end.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Where are the slow, large capacity SSDs for bulk storage?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Where are the slow, large capacity SSDs for bulk storage?

There's an ADATA 500GB drive on Slickdeals for $100 right now

But SSD's aren't meant for long-term storage, especially powered down.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Anyone have an idea when SSD prices are supposed to drop? They are nuts right now and I'm still limping along on a 128GB(or something like that) drive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the only way to know this is to take ayahuasca in the desert and look inside yourself to see the truth

only do this if your spirit guide has like a cyberpunk outfit or somethin though, like a borg-ish laser pointer eye or someshit, otherwise it could go terribly wrong

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Peachfart posted:

Anyone have an idea when SSD prices are supposed to drop? They are nuts right now and I'm still limping along on a 128GB(or something like that) drive.
micron is trying pretty hard to drop them since the mx500, they're the most reasonably priced drives at the performance level

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cygni posted:

the only way to know this is to take ayahuasca in the desert and look inside yourself to see the truth

Chief losing data is my spirit guide.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
I'm wanting to upgrade a drive in my VM host from the 1TB HDD it's using now to a 1TB SSD. However, the file system is un-shrinkable (XFS), and I don't really know if the drives I'm looking at upgrading to will be big enough for a simple copy. My current drive's size is listed at 1,000,204,886,016 bytes according to gnome-disk-utility. If the new drives are even slightly smaller, my options will be to either spend a couple hours moving data around and reformatting to ext4, or to spend extra money on a Samsung 860 PRO (since they are 1024GB).

Would anyone here be able to tell me the exact capacity in bytes of a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, WD Blue, or something comparable? I've tried searching for a site that lists exact drive capacities, but with no luck.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't think there are any magic structures on that disk that need to be replicated, you could probably make new filesystems on the new SSD and copy the contents as normal files.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Vinigre posted:

I'm wanting to upgrade a drive in my VM host from the 1TB HDD it's using now to a 1TB SSD. However, the file system is un-shrinkable (XFS), and I don't really know if the drives I'm looking at upgrading to will be big enough for a simple copy. My current drive's size is listed at 1,000,204,886,016 bytes according to gnome-disk-utility. If the new drives are even slightly smaller, my options will be to either spend a couple hours moving data around and reformatting to ext4, or to spend extra money on a Samsung 860 PRO (since they are 1024GB).

Would anyone here be able to tell me the exact capacity in bytes of a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, WD Blue, or something comparable? I've tried searching for a site that lists exact drive capacities, but with no luck.

SSDs are still sold as 1000 and not 1024 bytes. So a 1TB SSD is still the same size as a 1TB HDD. Which equates to 931.32GB.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SlayVus posted:

SSDs are still sold as 1000 and not 1024 bytes. So a 1TB SSD is still the same size as a 1TB HDD. Which equates to 931.32GB.

Except that just as with 1TB HDDs, what you actually get is some slightly larger number, the exact value of which varies by manufacturer and drive model. 1TB is storage industry shorthand for “you get at least 1.000e12 bytes”, not “you get exactly”.

As an example I can ssh to some machines equipped with 850 Pro 1TB drives. They show up as 1,024,209,543,168 byte devices, which is 1.024TB or 0.93TiB.

(OP, I can’t find any Samsung Evos to check. I know there’s some on our network somewhere but most of our machines have Pros)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Don't have any TB evos :(

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

My 840 Evo 1TB shows 1,000,202,039,296 in NTFS (931GB).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kinda sounding like Vinigre may need to either diminish the factory over provision a little or go to ext4

Ext4 is a great fs, anyway.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have two 850 Evo 1tb I can check when I get off work tonight.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SlayVus posted:

I have two 850 Evo 1tb I can check when I get off work tonight.

Can you also check that Drive Space + Over provision space = 1 TiB?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
850 Evo 1tb is 1,000,067,821,568 bytes. So, they don't work for your situation. Even though the 860 Pro is a 1024GB model, in their product data sheet for the drive that still stipulate that "1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes by IDEMA". So that actual usable storage is
953.674GB. This puts it 22.28GB over capacity of my 850 Evo 1TB(1000GB). So it looks like the poster will need to either trim down data on the drive to fit into an 860 Evo or fork over $300 more for 22.28GB of extra store capacity.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 24, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That 1TB Evo probably would work if the overprovision, the volume of NAND that is intentionally left inaccessible to the system for wear leveling, was diminished just a little.

Though - you can't turn journaling off in xfs, can you? Eeeeh..... That alone would make me swap to ext4 or another fs.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 24, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Need advice on an external SSD. My girlfriend takes tons of pictures with her phone, and since she refuses to use Google Photos's cloud storage for :tinfoil: reasons, she's been backing up everything on 32GB flash drives. She'll fill them up with photos and videos and move on to the next one, but it's annoying because everything's spread out into various flash drives. I want to get her a 500 GB storage drive, but I need something that's going to last, because if it conks out and she loses years worth of photos I'm never going to hear the end of it (unless I'm dead). The important ones will be doubly backed up elsewhere, of course.

She's really into scrapbooking, which is partly why so many photos, so the drive won't be heavily taxed on writing/rewriting until she goes to empty her camera and organize photos. Lifespan-wise I'm expecting something to last at least ten years, maybe in five-plus years I'll remind her that she should consider upgrading to whatever storage technology is modern then.

Is this Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PA500B/AM) the right idea?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I recently ran into (separately) a Samsung 830 that was causing a computer to straight up shut down and a Crucial M500 that caused a 7F bluescreen. From my experience its rare for a SSD to work until its NAND is used up.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

Need advice on an external SSD. My girlfriend takes tons of pictures with her phone, and since she refuses to use Google Photos's cloud storage for :tinfoil: reasons, she's been backing up everything on 32GB flash drives. She'll fill them up with photos and videos and move on to the next one, but it's annoying because everything's spread out into various flash drives. I want to get her a 500 GB storage drive, but I need something that's going to last, because if it conks out and she loses years worth of photos I'm never going to hear the end of it (unless I'm dead). The important ones will be doubly backed up elsewhere, of course.

She's really into scrapbooking, which is partly why so many photos, so the drive won't be heavily taxed on writing/rewriting until she goes to empty her camera and organize photos. Lifespan-wise I'm expecting something to last at least ten years, maybe in five-plus years I'll remind her that she should consider upgrading to whatever storage technology is modern then.

Is this Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PA500B/AM) the right idea?

You should just stay out the situation unless she asked you for help in this. Eventually one of those flash drives will fail and maybe then you can convince her about Google Photos.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

For long-term storage you're better off using spinning rust. It doesn't leak electrons quite as much as high-density flash memory.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

redeyes posted:

So I recently ran into (separately) a Samsung 830 that was causing a computer to straight up shut down and a Crucial M500 that caused a 7F bluescreen. From my experience its rare for a SSD to work until its NAND is used up.

I had an 830 that would randomly freeze up the computer it was in, or just drop off the SATA bus. Had to chuck it. Poor little guy :(

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

nielsm posted:

For long-term storage you're better off using spinning rust. It doesn't leak electrons quite as much as high-density flash memory.

Aren't most SSDs rated to hold data for a year powered off? It'll probably spend most of the time plugged in for use given the description of the situation. Until the drive is filled and she starts on the second one, anyways.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Maybe it's time to invest in a NAS for those photos. You can also store your Linux ISOs on it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

We're all leaking electrons (some of us more than others) but I always thought SSDs held data better than one of the old fashioned spinny disc ones.

isndl posted:

Aren't most SSDs rated to hold data for a year powered off? It'll probably spend most of the time plugged in for use given the description of the situation. Until the drive is filled and she starts on the second one, anyways.

It's hard to say, I think she'll use it a ton in the next few months as she organizes every photo from every moment of her life, and then there's a possibility it'll sit on the shelf for weeks at a time. I know eventually it'll be something that we put in the safe and forget about until she has another creative brainstorm, but that'll be a long ways away.

So, Samsung the way to go on this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

We're all leaking electrons (some of us more than others) but I always thought SSDs held data better than one of the old fashioned spinny disc ones.

SSD's are not for long-term data storage when powered off.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Oh, wow. So a non-SSD one would be better if it's going to sit in storage sometimes? I know this is the SSD thread, but if anyone could point me in the right direction of a reliable storage device I'd be grateful. Looks like they're a lot cheaper.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
M-Disc is supposed to be the longest term storage you can get. Supposedly will hold data for 100 to 150 years, but the jury is still out on that claim since it's only been around since 2009.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Get them off lovely external memory cards and into a decent Nas with hgst drives, that's backed up to a crashplan account.

Just backing them up to one external drive could / will go horribly wrong eventually.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 26, 2018

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Am I reading this chart correctly? Is retention time really significantly improved by writing at 55°C and then storing at 25°C (or probably colder) over writing at ambient temperatures?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LifeLynx posted:

The magnetic part of a spinny hard drive is actually fantastically reliable. Assuming the rest of the drive works perfectly it should have effectively zero errors over any reasonable length of time.

The weak part is the whole moving parts deal, but a home backup drive where you're turning it on once every couple days to dump photos and then unplugging it is the least stressful job for a HD. I got an old 200 gb HD that's my secondary backup which I only pull out once a year to sync. Easily over a decade old.

Of course, the important part about data protection is to have backups. If you get your GF to move everything from flash cards to a drive you've gained nothing because the drive could fail. A HD is more reliable than cheap flash cards but it's still not perfect. You need two copies.

Geemer posted:

Am I reading this chart correctly? Is retention time really significantly improved by writing at 55°C and then storing at 25°C (or probably colder) over writing at ambient temperatures?

quantum mechanics yo. flash storage works by tunneling electrons into trap, and more heat means there's more energy in the system which makes tunneling easier.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I didn't keep up on SSD news for a year or so, is the MX500 any good? It's the cheapest SSD from a non-poo poo tier vendor on amazon and I want to get one to make a Dell workstation with dual Xeons another lab threw out usable for human beings in 2018 (it just had a blown capacitor in the PSU so I got a new PSU and now it works, but it has ancient spinning rust that's probably smaller than the 12 sticks of RAM in it).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

suck my woke dick posted:

I didn't keep up on SSD news for a year or so, is the MX500 any good? It's the cheapest SSD from a non-poo poo tier vendor on amazon and I want to get one to make a Dell workstation with dual Xeons another lab threw out usable for human beings in 2018 (it just had a blown capacitor in the PSU so I got a new PSU and now it works, but it has ancient spinning rust that's probably smaller than the 12 sticks of RAM in it).

The MX500's a good drive and a good value, yes.

Here's SR's take on the 500GB SKU: http://www.storagereview.com/crucial_mx500_ssd_review_500gb

-----

In other news, Samsung's finally going to have some competition in the 2TB NVMe game: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/western-digital-launches-pc-sn720-and-pc-sn520-nvme-ssds.html

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 27, 2018

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Against conventional wisdom, I got an M.2 NVMe SSD, a Toshiba 1TB XG3 drive, and I put it into a Z97 ASUS board (Z97I-PLUS). I'm not sure what's going on but the UEFI BIOS is not detecting the drive. I've tried following various guides for disabling CSM and the secure boot keys and that doesn't seem to make a difference. Windows 10's installer is able to see the drive when I start the installer up as long as I have a SATA device enabled (I tried disabling all SATA ports, the drive disappears in Windows' installer). I've tried to completely remove all drives, reboot, and try to "enable" the m.2 drive like some people have had to do with some motherboards (I can't even select the M.2 drive or controller to do it). I've tried using "RAID" mode for storage instead of AHCI, which seems to work for some people. As I understand it, Windows 10 includes a generic NVMe driver that Toshiba uses, but I haven't checked the firmware version and trying to upgrading it is my next step. But after that, I'm about to put this back on Ebay given I've spent way too much time on this already and hanging onto this when I can't even use it is asinine. Anyone have any ideas on what I might have overlooked?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
z97 eh. Have you tried updating the BIOS? RAID vs ACHI mode has nothing to do with NVMe but who knows what that mobo is doing. You might need to actually disable some of the SATA ports to get the M.2 working but the BIOS should clue you into whats going on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

necrobobsledder posted:

Against conventional wisdom, I got an M.2 NVMe SSD, a Toshiba 1TB XG3 drive, and I put it into a Z97 ASUS board (Z97I-PLUS). I'm not sure what's going on ...
Anyone have any ideas on what I might have overlooked?

BIOS updated to whatever the latest asus offers?

Between the first-generation NMVe motherboard (with only 2 PCIe lanes and no sata delivered to the M.2 slot) and the ebay OEM-only SSD I am not shocked by a compatibility nightmare. I might try using a linux boot stick or cd, which will come with up-to-date nvme drivers, and seeing if you can get the drive writable in any way shape or form.

It's called the bleeding edge for a reason, and unfortunately you are still on it despite NVMe being generally reliable for more recent systems.

(Also apparently there exist sata express variants of the XG3, so unless you 100% verified what the gently caress you were getting ahead of time it may not even work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Asus stopped with the last BIOS update claiming NVMe support back in early 2016, and I’m on that version. I should have clarified but Windows works just fine with the drive after it boots up from another drive, so it seems to physically work. I can install Windows to the drive, but the BIOS is not registering the boot sector of the drive somehow post-install and rejecting booting from it.

I’m a bit pissed because a bunch of people seemed to do just fine with this motherboard for other NVMe SSDs. Spending $700 in parts over a matter of a $300 SSD seems ludicrous when the 4790k is working just fine. I may wind up using this in another machine like a server if this takes me more than another hour given I’ve already burned 14 hours rebooting and removing the drat thing while resetting the CMOS.