Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Natty Ninefingers posted:

First time at a major junior game tonight. Silvertips and Thunderbirds. After being raised on the AHL they look so sloppy and shrimpy it's really quite:3:

be glad everett fired their coach and finally stopped playing the trap this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mage_Boy posted:

I should really go to a WBS Knights game myself just to see how junior hockey looks. I've seen some high school games when they played after the AHL games some Friday nights. They really looked slow right after an AHL game ended.

Go, junior owns and WBS are good this year.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
You can be entertained, just do not expect high quality play. They have talent, they have enthusiasm, but they do not have the years of training that AHL lifers do. They have the tendency to pile in front of the goal, pound away on the puck, the goalie, the posts, and each other, and then once the puck is covered up or perhaps has gone sailing off into the corner it all degenerates into a pushing, jersey pulling match. This may have been heightened by the fact that they were playing the Thunderbirds, and both sides have clearly bought into the regional rivalry. It definitely makes you appreciate the professionalism, precision, and ice awareness of the AHL, as well as the fact that the AHL allows fighting (seriously, one actual fight and some steam would have actually been blown off).
This may seem like damning by faint praise, and it definitely, partly is. Yet, it is still is hockey, and when something beautiful rises out of that crazed mess its all the better for it. Slow it is definitely not.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Junior hockey is fun for all the reasons sports should be fun to watch.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

You know how 3 on 3 overtime was crazy end to end fun when it first started and then eventually it got boring once the coaches turned it into a lot of skating in circles to keep possession? Junior hockey is that but the whole game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

nature6pk posted:

Junior hockey is fun for all the reasons sports should be fun to watch.

Very true, shame about the lovely fans and small towns.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ToledoWalleye/status/961268590430294021

Also ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna is stepping down after this season:

https://twitter.com/ECHL/status/961253476713017344

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The ECHL has been calling up SPHL guys left and right. They broke the record for call ups about a month ago, first place Pensacola has pretty much turned over their roster due to guys going up and injuries (but they keep winning at a ridiculously high rate). Any reason why call ups are so popular this year?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PotatoJudge posted:

The ECHL has been calling up SPHL guys left and right. They broke the record for call ups about a month ago, first place Pensacola has pretty much turned over their roster due to guys going up and injuries (but they keep winning at a ridiculously high rate). Any reason why call ups are so popular this year?

I think you've seen a big shift in the last few years at the NHL level, where teams are building up through prospects and the minors, as opposed to trying to win/build through free agency. Basically, they're calling up AHL guys, who in turn are calling up ECHL guys, etc.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

DJExile posted:

I think you've seen a big shift in the last few years at the NHL level, where teams are building up through prospects and the minors, as opposed to trying to win/build through free agency. Basically, they're calling up AHL guys, who in turn are calling up ECHL guys, etc.

and don't forget that there's 50 new contracts at the NHL level and the trickle down effect

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TOLEDO/KANSAS CITY GOALIE FIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHT

https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/status/962515598805753856

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 11, 2018

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I love the goalies go to fight each other, and then just stop on their own and leave the ice on their own.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

I love the goalies go to fight each other, and then just stop on their own and leave the ice on their own.

Seriously, it's this great little "ok, you good? Yep, okay cool" thing and have done with it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goalie fights are the best type of fights.

Fight me if you disagree.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

iospace posted:

Goalie fights are the best type of fights.

Fight me if you disagree.

Are you a goalie? This is important.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/status/962517526994477056

yeeeeeep there's gonna be some suspensions here

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Edward Mass posted:

Are you a goalie? This is important.

No but one of my earliest memories are of Roy taking on tight Detroit goalies.

(And I wanted to be one)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/status/962862251647684608

good poo poo, this

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/HFXMooseheads/status/962768265016684546

yeah, it's just the "michigan" move again, but it's cool seeing a 7th round pick pull that off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jesus, maybe Mr.Klotz should just retire. He got sonned and Tansey didn't even have to touch him (minus the one punch KO the previous year).

The league should toss the guy for the rest of the year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WEAK.

ECHL posted:

Kansas City’s Garrett Klotz has been suspended for eight games and Eric Freschi has been suspended for two games resulting from their actions ECHL Game #641, Kansas City at Toledo, on Feb. 10. Both players have also been fined an undisclosed amount.

Klotz was assessed a match penalty for cross checking under Rule #59.4 at 12:14 of the third period. He is fined and suspended under Rule #28 – Supplementary Discipline.

This exact same thing happened last year against Toledo's Simon Denis (I forget who came down on him repeatedly) and the guy got 20 games. 8 is bullshit.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 14, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattMelzak/status/967129847075139584

yooooooooooooo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Go A Monsters on my TV.

E- Dalton Prout is in this game. :laffo:

E2- :siren: All I did was go walk the dog real fast and they score two goals :siren:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 24, 2018

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Sorry about the weird commercial break. We didn't tell the booth fast enough to not go to break, so they went rogue.

Also, 2 goals on 2 shots against Korp... eesh.

E: I'll be on tv if they review any goals.

e2: they are playing the ring music for the kid ice skating group for the intermission, so we're firing on all cylinders tonight

Hockles fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 24, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

When did Dalton Prout learn to play hockey?

Hockles posted:

Sorry about the weird commercial break. We didn't tell the booth fast enough to not go to break, so they went rogue.

Also, 2 goals on 2 shots against Korp... eesh.

E: I'll be on tv if they review any goals.

I'll keep a look out!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ToledoWalleye/status/967183668799246336

:discourse:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:siren: SONNY :siren:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Quack quack quack, Mr.Duckworth

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Tonight was the first time the IceHogs ever played in WBS. Not sure why they have never been here before, but it's cool to see new teams. Next week is my road trip with a bunch of the guys. We're doing Rockford, Grand Rapids and Milkwaukee. First time I'm going to see those arenas.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Mage_Boy posted:

Tonight was the first time the IceHogs ever played in WBS. Not sure why they have never been here before, but it's cool to see new teams. Next week is my road trip with a bunch of the guys. We're doing Rockford, Grand Rapids and Milkwaukee. First time I'm going to see those arenas.

I did the math a few years ago, teams play an incredibly stacked schedule inside their division and scattered games in their conference. They rarely (if ever) play the other conference, and sometimes miss a division entirely.

This is what I did the first year California had teams (2015-16) to show how unbalanced it is:

quote:

Grand Rapids - 12 games
Charlotte - 8
Chicago - 8
Iowa - 8
Manitoba - 8
Milwaukee - 8
Rockford - 8
Rochester - 4
San Antonio - 4
Texas - 4
Toronto - 4

Teams they don't play:

Albany Devils
Bakersfield Condors
Binghamton Senators
Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Hartford Wolf Pack
Hershey Bears
Lehigh Valley Phantoms
Ontario Reign
Portland Pirates
Providence Bruins
San Diego Gulls
San Jose Barracuda
Springfield Falcons
St. John's IceCaps
Stockton Heat
Syracuse Crunch
Utica Comets
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

They mentioned on the broadcast tonight this was one of the first games between Stockton and Cleveland/Lake Erie.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

CBJSprague24 posted:

They mentioned on the broadcast tonight this was one of the first games between Stockton and Cleveland/Lake Erie.

Yep, and (for obvious reasons) we play Tucson for the first time ever next week too.

The format that year and each year until this year was: CA teams play each other, and TX for like 68 of their games, and they play east of Texas once or twice. Finally they changed it to where they play everybody (relatively) evenly.

e: It wasn't even 68 games, because they play 68 for the entirety of their schedule, so it was more like 60 games against each other.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 24, 2018

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Hockles posted:

Yep, and (for obvious reasons) we play Tucson for the first time ever next week too.

The format that year and each year until this year was: CA teams play each other, and TX for like 68 of their games, and they play east of Texas once or twice. Finally they changed it to where they play everybody (relatively) evenly.

e: It wasn't even 68 games, because they play 68 for the entirety of their schedule, so it was more like 60 games against each other.

Now that we've had a bunch of teams come down this season, maybe next year you guys will do the road trip to WBS, Hershey, Lehigh Valley and Bighamton. Which means WBS would play out there and I would finally have an excuse to come to a Monsters game.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Mage_Boy posted:

Now that we've had a bunch of teams come down this season, maybe next year you guys will do the road trip to WBS, Hershey, Lehigh Valley and Bighamton. Which means WBS would play out there and I would finally have an excuse to come to a Monsters game.

The more likely scenario is that with Denver becoming the 31st AHL team (musical chairs with affiliations), Cleveland moves to the East into one of the divisions and we play the Eastern conference teams for the first time. If that happens, hit me up for some free tickets when WBS is in town.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In the only good Canucks news today: Elias Pettersson matched Peter Forsberg for the 2nd best U20 SEL season ever. He needs 7 points in his last 5 games to pass Kent Nilsson for 1st overall (admittedly in more games).

Of the top 10 best U20 SEL seasons aside from Pettersson, all but one of the individuals on it had a 100pt season in the NHL (Thomas Gradin who had the 10th best season and managed a mere 86pts at his peak).

Top Ten List

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Actually huge news!

https://theahl.com/ahl-action-coming-to-tsn

TSN is gonna broadcast a bunch of AHL games for the season on their networks. It'll be nice to catch more games.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

In the only good Canucks news today: Elias Pettersson matched Peter Forsberg for the 2nd best U20 SEL season ever. He needs 7 points in his last 5 games to pass Kent Nilsson for 1st overall (admittedly in more games).

Of the top 10 best U20 SEL seasons aside from Pettersson, all but one of the individuals on it had a 100pt season in the NHL (Thomas Gradin who had the 10th best season and managed a mere 86pts at his peak).

Top Ten List

I feel like the SEL is better than the KHL on the whole, is that accurate?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
My excitement for boeser and pettersson has turned into even stronger depression about the Canucks because the management doesn’t deserve either of them

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Drunk Canuck posted:

Actually huge news!

https://theahl.com/ahl-action-coming-to-tsn

TSN is gonna broadcast a bunch of AHL games for the season on their networks. It'll be nice to catch more games.

this is cool but i guarantee it'll be 85% marlies games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
You are forgetting about the AHL Central Division leading Manitoba Moose :smuggo:

• Locked thread