Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, it's actually fair and even here, unlike world cup city events where they don't swap sides in the later rounds because it's only one run LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

how do they determine the matchup

edit; oh well this silly event is over

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

I have literally no idea, sorry.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Rated PG-34 posted:

The team matchup is seeded by world cup (I think??) rankings. The individual matchup seemed to be determined by the top ranked team placing a skier, and then the lower ranked team placing theirs to match.

I thought it was a fun event to watch! Didn't really understand the tiebreaker though, especially when some of the skiers didn't finish. Why not just run 5?

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
team event would be way better with slalom gates and 1-3 gates of variation between rounds.

snowboarding parallel slalom is simply irredeemable. abolish all snowboarding events.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

thehoodie posted:

The team matchup is seeded by world cup (I think??) rankings. The individual matchup seemed to be determined by the top ranked team placing a skier, and then the lower ranked team placing theirs to match.

I thought it was a fun event to watch! Didn't really understand the tiebreaker though, especially when some of the skiers didn't finish. Why not just run 5?
Because you will never be able to make two courses identical so you need to have each team run each side the same number of times.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Am I crazy or is everyone on the red course winning?

Edit: Nope, Korea just progressed to finals on the blue

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

davebo posted:

Am I crazy or is everyone on the red course winning?

Edit: Nope, Korea just progressed to finals on the blue

it's not just you. something about this course is hosed. other than the Korean guy, the only Blue rider who's won did so because the Red rider straight-up crashed out.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well that sucks if they're not equal, but it's pretty cool Ledecka got gold on both skis and snowboard.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
like, it's great that Ledecka just made Olympic history, but now I can't help but think that a big part of her winning this medal is that she got to race on the "win" half of the course instead of the "lose" half

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
IOC knew

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/nbcolympics/status/967267014732668928

Rigged indeed

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Every "gate" is really a set of two gates, one the inside gate and the other the outside gate. There is a pair of blue sticks several meters apart and you have to ski between the two of them, then a pair of red sticks and you ski between those two, etc.

The combinations have these pairs set vertically with the fall line instead of horizontally, so instead of inside-outside the gates are more uphill-downhill. How close you want to get to any given gate depends on the relative position of other gates before and after it. So in some cases you want to be right on top of the gate and knock it down with your shins, but in other cases you're aiming no where near it because you're setting up for the next one.
This link is busted.

Here is a very poorly drawn picture. This is a birds-eye view, and the black line illustrates the direction you must go between each pair of gates. You can see why the fastest line often doesn't go close to one half of each pair.

A bit late on this, but to add a bit: no course would ever actually be set like that, specifically, the last blue gate would always be on the other side, so that the two gates lined up down the fall line (the hairpin) are two turns rather than one. Like this:

One embarrassing fuckup that HookShot was referring to that people do sometimes is this:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

A bit late on this, but to add a bit: no course would ever actually be set like that, specifically, the last blue gate would always be on the other side, so that the two gates lined up down the fall line (the hairpin) are two turns rather than one. Like this:

One embarrassing fuckup that HookShot was referring to that people do sometimes is this:

see, this is why you should have been posting in this thread all week

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Blasting hot ropey loads for vonn so white and oure she could ski down them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Weird dude

• Locked thread