Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Just had some marauders bypass my ftl interdictor on the way to attack another empire (their destination was another empire), but then they just started blowing up all my stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
And now that I have the colossus tradition, and an upgraded starport to max, I cant build a planet killer. Jesus what the hell.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

How the hell are you guys building fleets in this patch? I tried keeping a token force together and the ship maintenance just flattened me. Man, minerals are way more god now than they were before.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wiegieman posted:

How the hell are you guys building fleets in this patch? I tried keeping a token force together and the ship maintenance just flattened me. Man, minerals are way more god now than they were before.

always keep them in a base with a crew quarters, rush the ship upkeep prosperity tradition

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
OK, here's the update on my weird theory that there would be a way to bypass the fleet cap:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I dunno if anyone else noticed this, but there may be a way to bypass admiral fleet capacity and create a fleet 2x (or more) bigger than it should be, if you have a huge amount of money. I haven't been able to actually make it work yet because I keep running out of minerals.
    Basically what I did was
  • start a new game
  • Got to fleet manager, set it to max ships (It will now say 3/20)
  • Build ships by hand as a second fleet
  • Merge fleets. (Fleet manager now says ex 5/22). Do not click the minus next to ship type it will not let you + your way past the limit.
  • I ran out of minerals but the next step is to try to get up to 20, then either merge more guys in or hit reinforce fleet.

I ran into this because on day one I set up a fleet that was 2/3s lasers and guns, and 1/3 missiles and guns, and it wanted to focus completely on guns and then the other ship, Instead of building a couple guns then a missile and repeating like what I wanted.

What actually happens is the fleet cap is enforced, but the fleet manager will still try to build ships as if any extraneous ships that you merged in manually did not exist. Right now I have a fleet that's like 20/20(26) because I was able to somehow recover a crusier (extremely powerful at this point in the game), and I also merged in a couple various corvettes. Now I need to figure out what I wanna do with these extra ships I got. Prob just start a second fleet. I got a rescue mission where my civilians got abducted and I'm thinking i'll have to use the fleet to rescue them or pay some insane ransom. If I leave with the main fleet we'll be exposed to regular pirates. gently caress that.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 24, 2018

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Gamerofthegame posted:

tech and such maluses are based off of systems claimed now instead, so not so much

but they're also hella expensive now

I believe they still, individually, add a 20% tech+unity malus.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
actually, now I realize I have literally no idea what any of the fractions in the fleets or fleet manager actually mean at all. AT ALL.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

actually, now I realize I have literally no idea what any of the fractions in the fleets or fleet manager actually mean at all. AT ALL.

The "x/x" bit is the fleet cap for that fleet. So like 5/20 means you've got 5 corvettes can have 15 more. The "(x)" bit refers to the template. So if in the template I say I want 20 corvettes it'll say like "5/20 (20)". If you didn't do a template or didn't update when adding ships it might have like 5/20 (0) or some other number.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Isn't the number for the fleet cap, not the amount of ships? Like destroyers will take more, cruisers will take even more, battleships will take a lot more, and titans will take a ton?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm still constantly disappointed that being a xenophile doesn't let me make friends with space whales/crystals/amoebas. I want them to come hang out with us goddamnit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes my fleet power in the outliner is listed in red, what does this mean?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There are a lot of fractions in the fleet manager - most of it is intuitive if you happen to be familiar with the game but if you're just tuning in then it maybe confusing to have all these fields that don't seem to add up. Telling the difference between the overall fleet cap and the selection of ships you've chosen and why each one adds up to a different amount may not be readily apparent if you haven't done some reading beforehand. It also doesn't help that a number of people seem to be running into some nasty bugs and could cause further confusion.

You also have multiple lines showing different mineral costs that will also shift around depending on what you have in your stockpile with no way to really tell what you need.

Personally, I think the system could stand to be a little more user friendly.

Baronjutter posted:

I think that's a warning that you'll be put over your fleet capacity by filling out an order? I don't know if we're thinking of the same thing though. Do you have a screen shot?

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 24, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

iirc it means that it's not at whatever the normal max power of that fleet template would be, either because you're short some ships or some hulls need to be repaired or some ships need to be upgraded to their new iteration

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ms Adequate posted:

Suikoden: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902275898

Hope they're enjoyed by anyone who might use them!

Suikoden lives! Thanks for this.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So, my endgame crisis just happened, and the contingency has about 1M fleet power within my borders, and I'm not even at 100k. Anything I can do, or should I just let it all burn?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm trying out some combos I've not tried before to see if factions have been balanced out a little better to not allow for "trap" combos but it seems xenophobe and egalitarian are a trap combo. The egalitarian faction demands no resettlement, breeding, movement, or core-worlds population controls yet the xenophobe faction often wants the opposite.

There should be no combo of ethos picks that give mutually exclusive demands. If I'm militarist and I get some pacifist pops, sure, those are opposite ethos, but the factions that result from the official state ethos should never conflict. Egalitarian faction could be fixed by making their demands apply ONLY to pops with full citizenship. They care deeply about the basic fundamental rights of the citizen species, but xeno's aren't people so no rights are being violated by restricting their reproduction or putting them in a caste system or what not.

Am I missing something that makes xenophobe egalitarian combo play nicer with each other?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm trying out some combos I've not tried before to see if factions have been balanced out a little better to not allow for "trap" combos but it seems xenophobe and egalitarian are a trap combo. The egalitarian faction demands no resettlement, breeding, movement, or core-worlds population controls yet the xenophobe faction often wants the opposite.

There should be no combo of ethos picks that give mutually exclusive demands. If I'm militarist and I get some pacifist pops, sure, those are opposite ethos, but the factions that result from the official state ethos should never conflict. Egalitarian faction could be fixed by making their demands apply ONLY to pops with full citizenship. They care deeply about the basic fundamental rights of the citizen species, but xeno's aren't people so no rights are being violated by restricting their reproduction or putting them in a caste system or what not.

Am I missing something that makes xenophobe egalitarian combo play nicer with each other?

I mean the best solution would be to have factions that mixed and matched based on ethos so that you could have a xenophobe-egalitarian faction that wanted freedom for me, not for thee. Now that we’ve got FTL and terrain and all that sorted out, this is the perfect opportunity to start diving into that sort of thing for the game.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

So uh, it seems the Enigmatic Fortress is bugged or something? I'm constantly having it wake up every month, and even though I have a science vessel in the system, even right beside it, I can't send them into the airlock. It says there are supposed to be special projects, but none of them are showing up. This is sort of annoying me.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Does the Target Uplink Computer (+50% Weapon Range) apply to the defense platforms as well? It says it's a "starbase modifier" which makes me think it doesn't?

IAmTheRad posted:

Isn't the number for the fleet cap, not the amount of ships? Like destroyers will take more, cruisers will take even more, battleships will take a lot more, and titans will take a ton?

Yeah fleet cap, using corvettes as an example was dumb lol. The thing that's kinda odd and I assume a bug is that if you add say, a battleship in the fleet window it'll show as counting as 1 towards the overall naval cap instead of 8.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm still constantly disappointed that being a xenophile doesn't let me make friends with space whales/crystals/amoebas. I want them to come hang out with us goddamnit.

I feel like this is all I ever post about in Stellaris threads but seriously Wiz! We need a Bio-Engineering/Symbiosis DLC where we either genetically engineer or tame space creatures instead of build ships.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hmm, rushing to carpet-siege someone before your WE ticks up to 100% is pretty annoying after conquering all your opponent's planets still wasn't enough to enforce vassalization.

Maybe you should be able to spend dip influence to buy it down or something? Something that you can use if you just need a couple more months to close out the win, but not something that would let you prolong a losing war indefinitely.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
You can breed those little space amoeba pals. That's a start.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

What is going on with these hyperlanes?

Also I found the Shrine of the Old Gods and it put the systems I need to explore for the macguffins way too far away.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The "x/x" bit is the fleet cap for that fleet. So like 5/20 means you've got 5 corvettes can have 15 more. The "(x)" bit refers to the template. So if in the template I say I want 20 corvettes it'll say like "5/20 (20)". If you didn't do a template or didn't update when adding ships it might have like 5/20 (0) or some other number.

I was getting a lot of like 7/5 and poo poo like that, it's because there were the wrong style of ship lumped in with the wrong fleet, threw me off.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Korgan posted:

Also I found the Shrine of the Old Gods and it put the systems I need to explore for the macguffins way too far away.

lmao

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How does a containment war against Determined Exterminators work? Is it one of those ones where you keep whatever territory you seized at the end of the war or do I need claims? My expansion attempts against the XTs didn't quite work out as planned and I'm considering assaulting them to seize the two highlighted systems to both slice off a nice chunk of their territory and create a more defensible chokepoint area. I'm just not sure if I need claims. I'm hoping not, they're starting to fortify the Hizzel system and I want to strike before it gets too built up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Containment War is a cool loving phrase

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How does a containment war against Determined Exterminators work? Is it one of those ones where you keep whatever territory you seized at the end of the war or do I need claims? My expansion attempts against the XTs didn't quite work out as planned and I'm considering assaulting them to seize the two highlighted systems to both slice off a nice chunk of their territory and create a more defensible chokepoint area. I'm just not sure if I need claims. I'm hoping not, they're starting to fortify the Hizzel system and I want to strike before it gets too built up.

I've actually only fought an exterminator so far, so not sure how war works normally...but with exterminators you blow up the poo poo starbase and then you own the system, take over a planet and it's yours too. Then white peace out and keep everything. You only actually succeed with the containment war when they're 100% wiped out. For me they sat at 100% while I just grabbed as much as I could before my own exhaustion hit 100%.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The game should probably keep track of the names you pick, especially if they are auto-generated. I auto generated a name for my bird species which is Ikaanan, conquered a bird neighbour and well their species are also called ikaanan and their homeworld unlike mine is actually called Ikaan. They are actually true Ikaanans. Also they are survivor species and Ikaan is a tomb world. It's like the game is telling me story of some sort.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Had my first Great Khan trigger and conclude. It seems like Khanates expand in a "circular" fashion, attacking one angle, then moving to the next, then the next, and so on. This presumably helps to give their targets time to recover and build up a fleet, since otherwise if the khanate's fleets all went down one direction they could overwhelm most mid-game empires, but the AI seems to get a little "stuck" if you manage to hold up their expansion at an early bottleneck - they kept sending fleet after fleet in to get mulched and weren't expanding quickly in every other direction. If I hadn't gotten overconfident and gotten my fleet defeated in an attempt to decapitate the Khanate home system, they probably wouldn't have gotten much beyond half a dozen systems before the Khan died. Once my fleet was out of the picture, though, they started spreading out much faster and were carving healthy chunks out of the AI empires, including one empire's homeworld. My early bottlenecking still had its effect, though, the Khan died of disease before their conquests got particularly impressive. If there wasn't a power capable of holding them in check, I could see a Khanate becoming a terrifying mid-game threat.

As it was, they got to about a dozen systems before they splintered into diadochi with disconnected border gore. Hopefully one of them will annex the other and make that whole mess look a lot prettier.

On the whole, despite the Khanate being a bit of a wet fart in my game, I'm pretty satisfied with it. It forced me to devote almost all my attention and resources to keeping it in check, but it never felt unstoppable - just dangerous and challenging. It was a great way to shake up the normally complacent mid-game, and I'm finding myself almost to 2400 and only just recovering from the Khanate wars.

That being said I HAD expanded to like a quarter of the galaxy, no idea what that all would have looked like if I'd been playing a more tall game.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I went to save my civilians from the pirate abductor event chain and when I dropped in my immense overwhelming fleet I lol'd and gloated over their immanent demise.

it was less than effective... or too effective... and the result was depressing as gently caress.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm a few hours in to a new game and early game expansion feels way, way better than before y'all. Like, before I enjoyed the game but I had a hard time calling it Good; if this keeps up through the mid and end game then I think Stellaris is officially a Good Game. I will still enjoy it personally either way.

e: To draw a comparison to an action game, before the game felt very floaty, like MMO combat, say. Now it feels more punchy and visceral (as 4x expansion phases go), like a certain unnamed third person action game franchise. Except it's not especially challenging but 4x's never really are. I hope someone found this terrible analogy useful.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 24, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

I went to save my civilians from the pirate abductor event chain and when I dropped in my immense overwhelming fleet I lol'd and gloated over their immanent demise.

it was less than effective... or too effective... and the result was depressing as gently caress.

I'm genuinely curious - I watched the Orcs vs Elves stream before and both times the event popped the civilians died. My civilians died as well, and every time I've run into the event in discussions the civilians died.

Has anyone ever actually managed to save the civilians?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Also Paradox people please let me save my custom races to the cloud between versions. Just give me a red flag if they break rules now or something. I got a dozen and it really sucks rebuilding them from scratch between updates. TIA

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

metasynthetic posted:

Also Paradox people please let me save my custom races to the cloud between versions. Just give me a red flag if they break rules now or something. I got a dozen and it really sucks rebuilding them from scratch between updates. TIA

:same:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

If the game is deleting your custom empires every patch something is very wrong on your end.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Psycho Landlord posted:

If the game is deleting your custom empires every patch something is very wrong on your end.

Not deleting, but all the traits get messed up and other minor changes that make it incompatible with the new update. It’s happened for every major patch.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is there a standout weapon nowadays or should I be mixing and matching? I'm just using lasers 110 years in with a fleet power of 17k and it's been fine so far but I've only fought a couple of my neighbors.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Tomn posted:

I'm genuinely curious - I watched the Orcs vs Elves stream before and both times the event popped the civilians died. My civilians died as well, and every time I've run into the event in discussions the civilians died.

Has anyone ever actually managed to save the civilians?

Yes. In fact I had no idea they could die until reading the thread just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Heh, every time I load an ironman game my flag changes.