Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like an ale rather than a lager though so the beer game could still be on point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

The beer is too light to be a Guinness. This is the major issue.

Yes, that’s the reason it might not be a poo poo beer.

I actually wondered if he worked with me, so I made an excuse to go into the area where that guy sits. He’s here, so it’s a coincidence.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

The beer is too light to be a Guinness. This is the major issue.

It's a Guinness Blonde Lager. It's ...not great.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Antioch posted:

They try that every few years, for some reason. Best I can tell it's so the Thomas-street locals complain less about the stench that the factory produces.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Arquinsiel posted:

They try that every few years, for some reason. Best I can tell it's so the Thomas-street locals complain less about the stench that the factory produces.

That's weird because wort on the boil smells fuckin delicious.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nth Doctor posted:

It's the barley roasting. Makes it smell the same being made as it does on the way out the morning after.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Antioch posted:

Try Guiness Red. It's been a while since I've had it but I remember it being better than the 2 slices of stale bread that standard Guiness is.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Merijn posted:

Try Guiness Red. It's been a while since I've had it but I remember it being better than the 2 slices of stale bread that standard Guiness is.

The best thing about Guinness is that when you see a Guinness sign outside a pub, chances are they serve Double Diamonds or Kilkenny too.

anyways.. A question came in! Boss decided I needed a replacement for my old iPad, and wants to know if I want the 10.5" or 12" pro model, and I can't make up my drat mind. Help plx?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowley posted:

The best thing about Guinness is that when you see a Guinness sign outside a pub, chances are they serve Double Diamonds or Kilkenny too.

anyways.. A question came in! Boss decided I needed a replacement for my old iPad, and wants to know if I want the 10.5" or 12" pro model, and I can't make up my drat mind. Help plx?

I use the 12.9 and I’ve almost drat near been able to replicate my entire workflow with it. The big screen is super good for using it as a second monitor with Duet or connecting via RDP/VNC with Jump.

No matter what size make sure they get you a Pencil with it, and either the Apple Smart Keyboard or the Logitech Smart Keyboard. The keyboards that use the Smart Connector Bus are superior to Bluetooth, but if you gotta get a Bluetooth keyboard get the Logitech K811.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

I use the 12.9 and I’ve almost drat near been able to replicate my entire workflow with it. The big screen is super good for using it as a second monitor with Duet or connecting via RDP/VNC with Jump.

No matter what size make sure they get you a Pencil with it, and either the Apple Smart Keyboard or the Logitech Smart Keyboard. The keyboards that use the Smart Connector Bus are superior to Bluetooth, but if you gotta get a Bluetooth keyboard get the Logitech K811.

This. If you RDP via Citrix Xendesktop on the Ipad. The citrix mouse is invaluable. It's pretty awesome to be able to RDP from anywhere with the mobile network. I'm not sure if any bluetooth mouse would work.
If you use it more for it's portability. A cover keyboard is really handy.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm eyeing the 12.9" and the Logitech Slim Keyboard pretty hard, but I don't think a pencil is for me. I've had a few other devices that came with a pen, and on all occasions I've fiddled briefly with it, and then stuck it in my cup-o-pens at work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowley posted:

I'm eyeing the 12.9" and the Logitech Slim Keyboard pretty hard, but I don't think a pencil is for me. I've had a few other devices that came with a pen, and on all occasions I've fiddled briefly with it, and then stuck it in my cup-o-pens at work.

Go into an Apple Store and play with the Pencil. And be amazed. It is seriously stylus done right.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A non-bootable PC came in:

*Hello, it's me, the hard drive, I am totally working: BzBzBzBz*

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

More like I Bee M

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

The Claptain posted:

IDE channels! Talk about a blast from the past.

Proteus Jones posted:

Go into an Apple Store and play with the Pencil. And be amazed. It is seriously stylus done right.

We have a presentation room 10 m from where I am right now. I'll go fiddle with the different models and a pencil.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

International Bzness Machines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Claptain posted:

Reminds me of the dead hard drive I once saw that claimed to have something like 5 Petabytes of storage despite being a 2tb drive. A Western Digital Green, and it wouldn't let me access it, whirred and clicked like mad, and I can get the absolutely precious photos off it, right????!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh wow, I had almost that exact thing just before Christmas - although it was only reporting an extra 3TB above capacity and only had ripped CDs that these days aren't just copies of obsolete media but almost obsolete media itself.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crowley posted:

I'm so loving mad that Kilkenny is nearly impossible to find in the US.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Welp, looks like all the I's dotted and T's crossed. Giving notice Monday and starting at the new job two weeks later.

:yotj:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

I don’t know why, but it reminds me of tomato soup. My friend and I left a taproom at closing time a while ago and they had started up. He said that’s why he loves homebrewing, making the whole apartment smell like that for days.

Personally I think it’s kind of gross because I don’t like tomato soup.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

blackswordca posted:

Welp, looks like all the I's dotted and T's crossed. Giving notice Monday and starting at the new job two weeks later.

Congrats!!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

blackswordca posted:

Yessssssss :cheers:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

blackswordca posted:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Not even 2 whole months into the year and goons :yotj:-ing all over the place!

Just got back from an apartment search trip in my new city and e-signed a lease. Move in is a month from yesterday, and I start my new job the 2nd week of April. :yotj:

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 24, 2018

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

SamDabbers posted:

After months of seriously difficult negotiations, the MSP that I own (Experiant; we run the anti-ransomware FSRM site that seems to be pretty popular) merged with another, much larger MSP on February 1.

Does that count?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

nexxai posted:

After months of seriously difficult negotiations, the MSP that I own (Experiant; we run the anti-ransomware FSRM site that seems to be pretty popular) merged with another, much larger MSP on February 1.

Does that count?

Are they keeping up the FSRM site? I've given that to quite a few customers.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Malek posted:

Are they keeping up the FSRM site? I've given that to quite a few customers.
I believe so, but if they don't, I'll keep it running by myself. It's not going anywhere.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

nexxai posted:

I believe so, but if they don't, I'll keep it running by myself. It's not going anywhere.

Dude I can host it at least short term if you need

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

kensei posted:

Dude I can host it at least short term if you need

Thanks guys but it's all good - it's always been hosted on my own server which I just expense partially back to the business. It isn't going down for even 1 second (unintentionally, at least). It's too valuable a resource to shut it down for any reason so whatever happens with the new business, it'll stay up and running.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

This ain't a desktop computer, it's gotta connect to a backplane. In any case, I ended up doing this:

https://www.tachytelic.net/2014/05/installing-2-5-ssd-3-5-dell-drive-caddy/

However the RAID controller doesn't recognize it. Back to the drawing board.

Try this:

General 2.5" SSD to 3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive HDD Adapter CADDY TRAY CAGE Hot Swap Plug
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3QFKNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_rUiBQkJSwsSry

These have worked great in my hot-swap drive cage.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Agrikk posted:

Try this:

General 2.5" SSD to 3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive HDD Adapter CADDY TRAY CAGE Hot Swap Plug
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3QFKNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_rUiBQkJSwsSry

These have worked great in my hot-swap drive cage.

That looks cool, thanks!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

blackswordca posted:

Rock ON!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What would cause a Server 2012 machine to insist that no logon servers are available to service a logon request, even though the firewall insists that traffic is being passed from that machine to the DC and back? Local accounts are disabled so there's literally no other way to get in short of maybe inserting a bootable ISO and rejiggering the local accounts. I dont know if the machine is in production, though, and can't necessarily bounce it.

Would wireshark help here? Watch for packets heading to and from the DC, if I can't trust the firewall logs as authoritative (loving lol)?

Edit: Me too :yotj: Just finished my first week.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 25, 2018

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SamDabbers posted:

Just got back from an apartment search trip in my new city and e-signed a lease. Move in is a month from yesterday, and I start my new job the 2nd week of April. :yotj:

Oh dang, :cheers: as well. Hit me up for a beer once you get settled in!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Happiness Commando posted:

What would cause a Server 2012 machine to insist that no logon servers are available to service a logon request, even though the firewall insists that traffic is being passed from that machine to the DC and back? Local accounts are disabled so there's literally no other way to get in short of maybe inserting a bootable ISO and rejiggering the local accounts. I dont know if the machine is in production, though, and can't necessarily bounce it.

Would wireshark help here? Watch for packets heading to and from the DC, if I can't trust the firewall logs as authoritative (loving lol)?

My idiotic, unhelpful response is it sounds like it lost the trust relationship with the logon servers, so just checking for traffic won’t help.

Further help is I don’t know how to fix that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A ticket went out:

Have you reimaged my deployment server? None of my PDQ stuff is on it anymore.

he hasn't, he's just stolen the server name for a VM leaving my physical box without a trust relationship while we're in the middle of a company-wide rollout of Autodesk 2018.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Happiness Commando posted:

As has been said it has probably just lost the trust relationship. If you viewed the event log you would probably see errors about the RPC server being unavailable. This is just a Windows bug since forever and is the reason why you should always have a plan B to log onto a server (not disabling all of the local logon accounts would be a good way to start).

How important is the server, can you just rebuild it?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, this week we might have a few days of heavy snow here in the UK and we're never prepared for it. I asked what the policy on "snow days" is here and said i'd be more than happy to just work at home (which i would appreciate tbh, my sugar gliders haven't been in this sort of weather before because they're babies and it'd be cool to be around to keep an eye on them).

Apparently the last time this happened my boss went and picked up literally every worker and dropped them all off in the evening in his giant all terrain 4x4.

This has been making me chuckle all day because it keeps getting mentioned. The company has apparently tripled in size since he last did that and from the sounds of it he's looking to do it again if he needs to.

E: Not sure if that should go in this thread or the working in IT thread, but certainly not the pissed off one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Being able to continue to run the business without having to get into the office or in the event the office stops existing is so often seen as a niche thing that's not needed. Until it is and then people expect an entire work from home infrastructure to pop up within hours.