Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Is Michigan State still the whistleblower here? Because I can think of a thing or two the FBI should have been doing instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just to give you a sense, here is the most upvoted comment on one of the many articles related to this. This is a very popular comment. This is how most people think.

"They do get paid. They get free tuition. Free housing. Free board. What price do you suggest paying each player? Or does every player negotiate their own price? Take U of Wisconsin for instance. One year of tuition, room, board and books/fees averages about $22,000. So these players play 3-4 years, get a degree and no student loan debt. You want to pay them, fine. But the scholarships are rescinded, board and room rescinded and tuition rescinded. Good luck affording $22,000 per player. Not to mention any player that doesn't make the NBA is now sans college degree and likely spent a solid $17,000 in food and rent alone for a single year. But yeah, lets pay em."

That's a big part of why this is such an uphill battle. NCAA claims there is a "tradition of amateurism", and people actually believe that crap.

e: I have to believe that when he says "Good luck affording $22,000 per player", he actually means "good luck to each player in making up the $22,000 of scholarships I've rescinded", based on where he is in his half-baked argument. Because if he literally means "good luck in being able to afford a $22,000 player on a team that will bring in millions", then I have no words.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 24, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What i+s the biggest school remaining that didn't named in this investigation?

georgetown about to make a comeback

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Rick posted:

Is Michigan State still the whistleblower here? Because I can think of a thing or two the FBI should have been doing instead.

I’m pretty sure they are. Turns out they’re that dude who “accidentally” caught a robber (while planning to assault someone).

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

kiimo posted:

Sean Miller wet shirt pics trending in tee minus ten

Shirt don't lie.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rick posted:

I’ve been saying since like 2010 on this very forum that MSU is dirty AF and was mocked a bit for it and now it is slowly coming out that it was an institutional haven for rape, sexual assault and paying people and I’m utterly content with the world around me

Tom Izzo is human excrement lol!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I was reading about this today, and was shocked that Book Richardson is facing up to 60 years in prison. Isn’t that a little much?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I was reading about this today, and was shocked that Book Richardson is facing up to 60 years in prison. Isn’t that a little much?
Key phrase is "up to."

Also yes, American prison sentences are crazy long.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
RIP in peace, Arizona basketball.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Overcharging is a common phenomenon. But no he's not going to serve that much on whatever plea he does.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: I have to believe that when he says "Good luck affording $22,000 per player", he actually means "good luck to each player in making up the $22,000 of scholarships I've rescinded", based on where he is in his half-baked argument. Because if he literally means "good luck in being able to afford a $22,000 player on a team that will bring in millions", then I have no words.

Yeah this is the dumbest part. People have no concept for the money involved in college sports.

If you pay the players minimum wage (I would say they should get more than that but whatever) based on 40 hrs/52 weeks of the year (I'm sure some weeks they work way more, and obviously there are parts of the year where they aren't allowed to officially do anything, but just for simplicity) it's like $20k/year

Even in football with 85 scholarships, that's only $1.7 million/year, there are assistant coaches making nearly that much now. In basketball it's obviously way less.

The NCAA has like 1 billion in revenue a year on its own, without even taking into account the money coming in to the schools themselves.

Now it's true, a lot of athletic departments run in the red, and the NCAA has huge expenses as well. But, so? Every business has to choose how to spend their money, I think I'd be willing to have coaches paid less, maybe a few less graphics on TV, the stadium beer costs $83 dollars instead of $81, and in exchange players get some money.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

also lol at that sports agency keeping detailed ledgers of their criminal conspiracy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

an adult beverage posted:

also lol at that sports agency keeping detailed ledgers of their criminal conspiracy.

Stringer Bell is displeased

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

That rules. Accounting is important, even if what you're doing is completely illegal. I'm very proud of them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Marquis de Pyro posted:

That rules. Accounting is important, even if what you're doing is completely illegal. I'm very proud of them.

:yeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a hot take.

No really, it's a real scorcher.

What if... we paid the athletes that the schools profit off of. A thousand dollars a month on top of their scholarships.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

zona has a game tonight, is Miller with the team? Any word yet from the university?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zona has a game tonight, is Miller with the team? Any word yet from the university?

God I hope it's a road game

E: holy poo poo it's at Oregon, that crowd is gonna be incredible

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 24, 2018

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/967444771580121089

:thunk:

"no, I really hosed up, this is truly a firable offense as listed in the contract"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sounds like the university drafted his pay with the intent of some of it going to recruits then

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

"no, I really hosed up, this is truly a firable offense as listed in the contract"

The remainder of Arizona's season is going to be Springtime for Hitler.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How do you let something like that into a contract :psyduck:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GobiasIndustries posted:

I was going to say "Same school that hired Herm" but that was Arizona State.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

N: TCU probably gonna go dancing for the first time since 1998.

V: I was a student the last 2 years of the MW/ first 2 of the big 12. I think we won like 4 combined conference games during that. I don't know how far we'll get, but I'm just really happy right now. :unsmith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

By hiring the greatest lawyers and/or agents.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

I have a hot take.

No really, it's a real scorcher.

What if... we paid the athletes that the schools profit off of. A thousand dollars a month on top of their scholarships.

As far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that’s where you lose me. I'll go do something else, because there's enough entitlement in this world as it is.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/13/11420408/dabo-swinney-clemson-salary-raise-players

bitch you ain’t walking away from a $5mil a year job because players start making $1k/month

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chieves posted:

N: TCU probably gonna go dancing for the first time since 1998.

V: I was a student the last 2 years of the MW/ first 2 of the big 12. I think we won like 4 combined conference games during that. I don't know how far we'll get, but I'm just really happy right now. :unsmith:

TCU's been trending up for awhile, so congrats man.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Qwijib0 posted:

That's one hell of a contract

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Greg Byrne just might not have been the genius everyone thought he was.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Joey Freshwater posted:

As far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that’s where you lose me. I'll go do something else, because there's enough entitlement in this world as it is.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/13/11420408/dabo-swinney-clemson-salary-raise-players

bitch you ain’t walking away from a $5mil a year job because players start making $1k/month

Never underestimate the lengths rich twats will go to be twats. There are people who will totally resign from six-figure jobs in protest over the cleaning staff getting a 50 cent an hour pay raise.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
You don’t get to be a rich twat by putting your principles before your paycheck

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just saw on FOX halftime report that Miller isn't coaching tonight @ Oregon.

He gone.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I always knew Sean Miller wasn't going to win a championship at Arizona, but I didn't expect it to go down like this.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've worked with college players. I've seen their schedules: pretty much every minute is accounted for between 6am and 11pm, and that's offseason too. I've seen how hard they have to work—especially those whose schools didn't prepare them for anything academic, because after all they're dumb jocks and that's all they'll ever be—just to maintain grades to stay eligible. And I know how even in pretty good schools they get shunted towards majors like kinesiology, even though they can't all become physical trainers or therapists. And I've seen furthermore—not at UVA, though it wouldn't surprise me—kids get their scholarships yanked almost the literal second they weren't athletic assets anymore.

We probably come at things from very different frameworks, but I struggle to see how letting any of these kids earn a little money—even just for the use of their own images, held in escrow till they graduate or get cast aside—could possibly be described as "entitlement".

(Also, the only exception I've ever seen to any of this is lacrosse kids. Goddamn do lacrosse kids suck.)

edit: god I'm dumb and incapable of clicking links; leaving all this up as a reminder to myself to be less dense.

elentar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 24, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oregon basically needs the win tonight to make the tournament, so this already was a huge challenge for Arizona. Or does Arizona not count as a big win anymore if they drop a post season ban on themselves?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

elentar posted:

I've worked with college players. I've seen their schedules: pretty much every minute is accounted for between 6am and 11pm, and that's offseason too. I've seen how hard they have to work—especially those whose schools didn't prepare them for anything academic, because after all they're dumb jocks and that's all they'll ever be—just to maintain grades to stay eligible. And I know how even in pretty good schools they get shunted towards majors like kinesiology, even though they can't all become physical trainers or therapists. And I've seen furthermore—not at UVA, though it wouldn't surprise me—kids get their scholarships yanked almost the literal second they weren't athletic assets anymore.

We probably come at things from very different frameworks, but I struggle to see how letting any of these kids earn a little money—even just for the use of their own images, held in escrow till they graduate or get cast aside—could possibly be described as "entitlement".

(Also, the only exception I've ever seen to any of this is lacrosse kids. Goddamn do lacrosse kids suck.)

Did you click the link

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Augh, sorry, getting too caught up in my poo poo and trying to keep up with things and lord knows I shouldn't be concern-posting under the circumstances.

I'm gonna go grade some papers or something.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I made a thread for this stuff: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850210

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Rick posted:

Greg Byrne just might not have been the genius everyone thought he was.

dude fled to alabama too lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

So Sean Miller won't be there, but Ayton will. Seems a bit strange.

• Locked thread