Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Freedom! Justice! Truth!

The flags hang from every window, the river is full of cheering people, everywhere people are flush with victory. That was the world as it should have been. We were supposed to be planning a vital strike against the vile City Council and their oppresive moves across The Dusk. Instead you find yourselves here.

You are in flight, the bluecoats are around every corner, the whistles, the gun shots, you can still remember the faces of those that they dragged away. Will anyone talk? Has anyone sold you out? Where are you running to? All that you do know is this, revolution is coming to The Dusk, one way or another.

Welcome to Blades in the Dark, a game based on the Apocalypse World engine. The game has you serving as daring scoundrels, enriching yourselves and living a life of crime in the haunted city of Duskwall. Except that in this case, the main goal is not to enrich yourself... or it isn't just to enrich yourselves. You are playing as Revolutionaries, people striking back at their oppressors and making life hard for all areas of the Dusk that do not understand that change is always coming. You are still living lives on the run and on the move, fighting against all manner of dangerous people, demons and ancient Gods. But you must light the fires of liberty, even if it looks more like a conflagration from up close.

If you are new to the game, or just new to tabletop games in general, don't worry I will be on hand to answer any questions. Either post them in this thread, or just ask me over PM's.

I have also set up a discord server and will be linking to that once I have some guesses on the number of people that are going to be involved. I am also going to have a provisional date for every session to take place from 1800-2200 every Tuesday but, again, this can be re-arranged as and when people need it.

Please provide the following:
A picture of your Character
A bit of background, why they are doing what they are doing, where they came from etc
Some ideas of what their Duskwall would look like after the Revolution.
An idea for an opposing faction that can be added to the game

Thank you all very much!
Yours
Josef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Picture

A bit of background, why they are doing what they are doing, where they came from etc
Grew up rich, though not nobility. Served in whatever police force equivalent we have going on here where he was exposed to how poo poo everything is and how much the lower classes are shat on, now trying to make everything less poo poo.

Some ideas of what their Duskwall would look like after the Revolution.
Anarcho-syndicalist heaven

An idea for an opposing faction that can be added to the game
Anarcho-capitalists. Basically feudalists.

As an aside I can't do tuesdays, and this is all tentative atm.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'll need to find a picture but I have a a rough idea of a doctor/apothecary who's spent most of his career trying to care for the poorer segments of the city but has faced rejection and ridicule from society and the medical establishment for not charging a literal arm and a leg for treatments and for suggesting that if they improved living conditions and education then maybe illness and poverty would be reduced.

If you asked him what he wants after the revolution he would still say just wants a society that looks after the poor and needy but as he spends more time with the revolution he is becoming more and more certain that more radical measures are necessary

Rumda fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 23, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Callista Ophélie LeClair posted:

Name: Callista Ophélie LeClair (age 19)
Alias: -
Playbook: Lurk
Look: Thin, Standoffish, Vulnerable
Heritage: Skovlan, from the city of Lockport
Background: Teenage runaway from a working class family
Stress: 0/9
Trauma: 0/4
Healing: 0/4

Harm:
3: Need Help
2: | -1D
1: | Less Effect

Stash: [ ]
Coin: 0/4

Insight:
0/4: HUNT
0/4: STUDY
2/4: SURVEY
1/4: TINKER

Prowess:
1/4: FINESSE
0/4: PROWL
0/4: SKIRMISH
0/4: WRECK

Resolve:
0/4: ATTUNE
0/4: COMMAND
1/4: CONSORT
2/4: SWAY

Special Ability: Like Looking into a Mirror - You can always tell when someone is lying to you.
Ally: Nyryx (A Prostitute) – Showed Callista the ‘rules of the street’ without literally ‘selling her’ out, helped her get by during those first rough, difficult weeks in Dustwall.
Enemy: Bryl (A drug dealer) – Tried to get Callista hooked on his supply so she’ll either ‘push’ for him or be his ‘girlfriend’ (likely both).
Vice: Weird (Aranna the Blessed, cultist of a forgotten god, barge moored in Nightmarket) – Callista ‘enjoys’ observing the ‘prayer rituals’ of Aranna and her flock; the noise, the smells, the blood, terrifies her. She doesn’t understand it, and that’s why she keeps going back.

XP:
- Every time you roll a desperate action, mark xp in that action's attribute. At the end of each session, for each item below, mark 1 xp (in your playbook or an attribute) or 2 xp if that item occurred multiple times.
- You addressed a challenge with deception or influence.
- You expressed your beliefs, drives, heritage, or background.
- You struggled with issues from your vice or traumas during the session

CourValant fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 28, 2018

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

There are game books, let me post a little bit an example one of them:

There are lots of different sorts of scoundrel, in most peoples cases just tell me what sort of person you would like to be and I will recommend one.

In this case, this is the "spider" scoundrel. Spiders are people who solve their problems through manipulation, guile and planning ahead.

So, how does it work and what does it mean?

See the red highlighted bit? Thats where we put some of the extareneous stuff, what your character looks like, their former job, their name and their alias. It's also got your vice, this can be anything from "help starving orphans" to "snorting powdered demon horn off of an obsidian table". What a "vice" does is let you deal with your stress (also highlighted) which kind of acts like your health when you are in jobs. It's kind of like luck in that you can burn it for cool moves, more dice rolls and not getting your head smashed in.

This red highlighted bit shows the character sheet, all of them have a few special skills which you can choose from. I chose Functioning vice because my character knows how to keep a firm grip on themselves. Alongside that it also lists your "friends/contacts". This might just be a small number of them, or it might be the only people you know in the Dusk. Up to you. Anyone with a upturned triangle is a close friend. Anyone with a highlighted down turned triangle is a rival. In my case Salia helped set us up with contacts in the forming dockers union, whereas riven has refused to do business with me after I used some of his saltpetre to blow a hole in city hall

These are our skills. Anything with a dot next to it represents 1 D6 worth of dice used to solve a problem in that method (I will run through skills in future) but when designing a character you will start off with 3 points in various skills, then you choose 4 more to allocate where you want. Any of the slightly crappy coloured circles are added in, the other 3 came along first.

Hope this helps out, do ask if you need more help with character ideas/ what sort of scoundrel you'd like to be.

On that note;

Your character will almost certainly use the "leech" playbook.

What sort of copper would you have been, an inspector or an ordinary grunt? What kind of person is your character, how do they solve problems?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Josef bugman posted:

Your character will almost certainly use the "leech" playbook.

Yeah I'm trying to choose between Alchemist or physiker as my initial ability, and trying to decide if my vice will be simply using my own supplies or going full opposite and having the vice being running a clinic...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
pre:
Name:
Alias:
Look:
Heritage:
Background:
Vice/Purveyor:
Playbook:
Special Abilities:

Statistics
Playbook:[][][][][][][][]
Insight:[][][][][][]
Hunt:0/4
Study:0/4
Survey:0/4
Tinker:0/4

Prowess:[][][][][][]
Finesse:0/4
Prowl:0/4
Skirmish:0/4
Wreck:0/4

Resolve:[][][][][][]
Attune:0/4
Command:0/4
Consort:0/4
Sway:0/4

Lifestyle: 0/4
Stash:0/10

Vitals
Stress:[][][][][][][][][]
Trauma:[][][][]
Harm:
[Level 3]
[lvl2][lvl2]
[lvl1][lvl1]
Healing:  0/4
Armor:[Armor][Heavy][Special]

Other Stuff
Friends:
Foes:
Items:
Item []
Item []
Item []
Item []
Item []
Item []
Load: Light (3)[]  Medium (5)[] Heavy (6)[]
A Blade or Two []
Throwing Knives[]
A Pistol[] A 2nd Pistol []
A Large Weapon [][]
An Unusual Weapon []
Armor [][] + Heavy [][][]
Burglary Gear []
Climbing Gear [][]
Arcane Implements []
Documents []
Subterfuge Supplies []
Demolition Tools  [][]
Tinkering Tools[]
Lantern[]
Definitely into this. Here's a sample character sheet I had made for another game. Probably going to go for the communist cat burglar (lurk). What timezone are you in?

sullat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 24, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pre:
Name:  Francois Clermont
Alias: Click
Look: Twitchy, Weathered
Heritage:  Akoros
Background:  Labor
Vice/Purveyor:   Pleasure, Lady Freyla, the Emperor’s Cask, bar, Whitecrown.  The finest wines available in Duskvol.  Real wine, not just mushroom brew.
Playbook:  Lurk
Special Abilities:
Infiltrator: You are not affected by quality or Tier when you bypass security measures

Statistics
Hunt: 0/4
Study: 0/4
Survey: 2/4
Tinker: 0/4

Finesse: 1/4
Prowl: 2/4
Skirmish: 0/4
Wreck: 0/4

Attune:1/4
Consort: 1/4
Sway: 0/4

Stash: 0/10

Vitals
Harm:
[Level 3]
[lvl2][lvl2]
[lvl1][lvl1]

Other Stuff
Friends: Petra, a city clerk.  It's funny, you know.  We grew up on the same street.  She learned her letters and numbers and taught me.  Went on to become a copyist in city hall.
She's the smartest person there, and they make her get them coffee.  Well, I look out for her, and she looks out for me.
Foes: Frake, a Locksmith.  I apprenticed with him. I learned much during those hard years.  He would say too much.  Never seen someone so angry when he found out what I was up to. 
Items:
Fine lockpicks []
Fine shadow cloak []
Light climbing gear []
Silence potion vial  []
Dark-sight goggles []
Spiritbane charm []

A Blade or Two []
Throwing Knives[]
A Large Weapon [][]
An Unusual Weapon []
Burglary Gear []
Climbing Gear [][]
Arcane Implements []
Documents []
Subterfuge Supplies []
Demolition Tools  [][]
Tinkering Tools[]
Lantern[]
I grew up here in Duskvol. Was apprenticed to the locksmith at an early age. Worked hard. Honest labor. Kept sliding deeper into poverty. Learned to take shortcuts. Opportunities. Only way to get ahead. But as much as I steal, they steal more. Can rob a man as easily with a paper as with a blade. Easier, in fact. There has to be a better way. Those union blokes have the right idea. It's a start, and I aim to help them as best I can. But the bosses are fighting them. Hiring thugs, gangers to beat them down. Well, I aim to fight back, and I don't fight fair.

sullat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 24, 2018

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Currently in the middle of making a hound. Watch this space.

Doesn't matter where I go, whether it be here in Duskvol or anywhere else in this world. There is always someone telling someone else to pull the trigger for one reason or another; for "justice", for one God or another, but usually it's just greed. No more will I let someone else tell me where to aim my rifle. No more strikers, no more deserters. No more. Now that I've set my sights on the bastards at the top, they're afraid.

The 16th rifles were meant to be my brothers, but you shoot one officer and somehow that makes you the bad guy. No matter. I can do more good without them. Just me and my rifle.

Ideal Duskvol: Free from corruption, and implementation of real justice.

pre:
Name: Jack Browning
Alias: Deadeye
Look: Athletic, calm
Heritage: Akoros
Background: Military
Vice/Purveyor: Obligation
Playbook: Hound
Special Abilities: Sharpshooter You can push yourself to do one of the following
make a ranged attack at extreme distance beyond what’s normal for the weapon
unleash a barrage of rapid fire to suppress the enemy

Statistics
Hunt:2/4
Study:1/4
Survey:1/4

Prowl:2/4

Command:1/4

Vitals
Harm:
[Level 3]
[lvl2][lvl2]
[lvl1][lvl1]

Other Stuff
Friends: Celene, a sentinel. Though we may not see each other for many months at a time, we are as siblings. 
When we were young we would steal our fathers' pistols and swords and have duels. 
She would always prefer the sword, and I, naturally, the pistol.
Foes: Veleris, a spy. The man who let them know it was me. My brothers in arms would never have abandoned me if 
not for this man.
Items:
Item []
Item []
Item []
Item []
Item []
Item []
A Blade or Two []
Throwing Knives[]
A Large Weapon [][]
An Unusual Weapon []
Burglary Gear []
Climbing Gear [][]
Arcane Implements []
Documents []
Subterfuge Supplies []
Demolition Tools  [][]
Tinkering Tools[]
Lantern[]
Also, I wouldn't be able to do tuesdays. I can definitely do mondays or wednesdays though.

Firos fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 21, 2018

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Portrait

pre:
Name: Milos Karstas
Alias: Weirdboy
Look: Haunted, Distracted
Heritage: Akoros
Background: Trade
Vice/Purveyor: Weird -'Salia', bodyhopping spirit of the Reconciled. 
Playbook: Whisper
Special Abilities:
Ghost Mind: Always aware of supernatural entities in my presence. +1d to gather information about the supernatural.

Statistics
Playbook:[*][*][*][*][*][*][*][]
Insight:[*][][][][][]
Study:2/4
Survey:1/4
Tinker:1/4

Attune:3/4
Consort:1/4

Vitals
Stress:[*][*][*][*][][][][][]
Harm:
[Level 3]
[lvl2]Falling damage [lvl2]
[lvl1][lvl1]
Healing:  2/4

Other Stuff
Friends: Nyryx, a possesor ghost. An aquaintance of my late uncle, and sympathetic to my current situation.
Foes: Flint, a spirit trafficker. Has taken one of my family, and wants the rest.
Items:
Fine Lightning Hook []
Fine Spirit Mask []
Spirit Bottles (2) []
Ghost Key
Demonbane Charm
A Blade or Two []
Throwing Knives[]
A Large Weapon [][]
An Unusual Weapon []
Burglary Gear []
Climbing Gear [][]
Arcane Implements []
Documents []
Subterfuge Supplies []
Demolition Tools  [][]
Tinkering Tools[]
Lantern[]
-17-year old boy, son of a small shop owner, not really personally interested in this revolutionary business, but found a book hidden by his uncle that no one had spoken of in years, read and accidentally performed a ritual and ended up with the ghosts of half a dozen dead relatives bound to him, including his uncle who was a revolutionary that got caught, tortured and killed years earlier.
-Basically doing this revolution malarkey to silence the voices constantly howling for justice and vengeance around him.
-ghost revolutionaries fighting the ghost cops

I'm currently in Finland, so evenings GMT is fine with me. Mondays can be a bit iffy, otherwise I should be available all week.

Antilles fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 18, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

What sort of copper would you have been, an inspector or an ordinary grunt? What kind of person is your character, how do they solve problems?

Definitely a grunt. Solves problems by hitting stuff in the face/genitals until they're solved. I don't have much compassion for people who oppress others.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Keir Long- the Spider
Picture

Vice- Stupor

Study 2
Survey 1

Attune 1
Sway 1
Consort 2

Ghost Contract

A man should rely on his brothers, fellow craftsmen, ready to work and live and fight for each other. That's what Keir's father believed. He's dead now.
A movement needs to be bound together by deeds, with each member willing to fight and die to protect the whole. That's what Keir's mentor believed. She's dead now.
Love and trust, knowledge of each other and forming a genuine personal bond. That will let people commit, and fight beyond what they ever knew they could. That's what Keir's lover believed. He's dead now.

From dock brat, to principled secretary, to revolutionary recruiter, Keir has seen the men who have tried to change the world fail, when their attempts to form the reliable bonds they needed shattered. Bonds of brotherhood, bonds of ideology, and bonds of trust. Keir knows now what it takes to make people keep the faith. Fear of the consequences.

Rampantly paranoid, Keir is still committed to change, and with help from the spirit world he thinks that he has the right ingredients to form a band that won't collapse to internal betrayals. Keir is keeping the dream alive, recruiting from the populace, and inducting the most promising into a secret brotherhood of revolutionaries. Anybody who breaks the covenant suffers a fate worse than death.

What should the world look like after the revolution?: Autonomous collectives, overseen by a central council. Mandatory price and wage controls, land redistribution- weird ideas about a supreme being and universal citizenship service to honour that being.
Potential opposing faction: The Good Brothers- a mercantile brotherhood whose secret rituals Keir lifted and re-purposed after a successful infiltration. Rich, powerful and well connected.

Edit: I'm available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Can't do Thursday, could maybe do Friday if it's the only day that works, but would prefer to do it another day.

Undead Hippo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 26, 2018

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Miftan posted:

Definitely a grunt. Solves problems by hitting stuff in the face/genitals until they're solved. I don't have much compassion for people who oppress others.

In which case I would recommend the "cutter" book.

Here we go, have a quick look over it and I can help run through some things!

Undead Hippo posted:

Keir Long- the Spider
Picture

Sounds good, just as a quick thing but what was your background, were you always a revolutionary or did you start off learning a trade of some kind?

Also, do you have any ideas for characters you can trust/ get on with, or ones you are actively feuding with?

Antilles posted:

Portrait
[pre]Name: Milos Karstas

This also looks grand! Though it will be interesting to see where the voices lead you!

Firos posted:

[pre]Name: Jack Browning
Special Abilities: Sharpshooter You can perform precision and long-range
shooting. You can quickly draw and reload your weapons. Your
ranged attacks gain potency

This all sounds excellent, the only problem is that "sharpshooter" has changed a bit, it now reads as :You can push yourself to do one of the following make a ranged attack at extreme distance beyond what’s normal for the weapon—unleash a barrage of rapid fire to suppress the enemy

That and, I am afraid that you can only go up to 2 dice dots on a starting character. The idea is really good though and I am really interested to find out more!

Also seems good!

Just as a quick thing if you could put days you would like this to run in bold at the bottom of your apps that would be awesome!

Thank you all for the great apps, will keep the applications open for about another week (maybe 2) but please do spread this around and anyone who is just watching please let me know over PMs. Thanks!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
pre:
Name: Drav Farros
Alias:
Look:
Heritage: Akoros: Son of factory workers. Grew up in coalridge
Background: Apothecary: Trying to make a difference to the lives and health of the poorer residents of Duskwall
Vice/Purveyor: Obligation: Working in my Charhollow clinic 
Playbook: Leech
Special Abilities:
Alchemist: When you invent or craft a creation with alchemical
features, take +1 result level to your roll. You begin with one special 
formula already known.

Statistics
Study:2/4
Tinker:2/4

Finesse:1/4
Wreck:1/4

Sway:1/4

Vitals
Harm:
[Level 3]
[lvl2][lvl2]
[lvl1][lvl1]

Other Stuff
Friends:
Ashlyn, An Skovlander Doctor: my partner, keeps the clinic running, loyal and level headed, understands the necessary for my actions 
but doesn’t quite approve of the methods.
Foes:
Arquo Tyrconnell Noble Alchemist Leader of the Guild of Physickers and Apothecaries despises the fact that I worked my way up from 
nothing and the fact that I undercut prices trying to help as many people as I can.
Items:
Item []Fine tinkering tools        
Item [][] Fine wrecking tools
Item []Blowgun & darts, syringes
Item []Bandolier (3 uses) [] [] []
Item []Bandolier (3 uses) [] [] []
Item [] [] []Gadgets

A Blade or Two []
Throwing Knives[]
A Large Weapon [][]
An Unusual Weapon []
Burglary Gear []
Climbing Gear [][]
Arcane Implements []
Documents []
Subterfuge Supplies []
Demolition Tools  [][]
Tinkering Tools[]
Lantern[]

Rumda fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 9, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Name: Marco Black
Alias:
Look: here
Heritage: The Dagger Isles (is this important? I couldn't look up if it is)
Background: Military/Law
Vice/Purveyor: Grist, boxing, the Docks.
Playbook: Cutter
Special Abilities: Savage: When you unleash physical violence, it's especially frightening. When you command a frightened target take +1d.

Statistics
Study:0/4

Finesse:1/4
Skirmish:2/4
Wreck:2/4

Command:2/4

Vitals
Harm:
[Level 3]
[lvl2][lvl2]
[lvl1][lvl1]
Healing: 0/4

Other Stuff
Friends: Chael, a vicious thug. I locked her up so many times it ain't even funny. We hated each other's guts. Once I switched sides though she gradually warmed up to me seeing as how we both like kickin' the crap out of cops.
Foes: Grace, an extortionist. Grace extorts everyone. Even those that don't have anything, and I don't like that one bit.

Items:
I have no idea how to do this properly. How many can I have?

Miftan fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 27, 2018

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

This all sounds excellent, the only problem is that "sharpshooter" has changed a bit, it now reads as :You can push yourself to do one of the following make a ranged attack at extreme distance beyond what’s normal for the weapon—unleash a barrage of rapid fire to suppress the enemy

That and, I am afraid that you can only go up to 2 dice dots on a starting character. The idea is really good though and I am really interested to find out more!

I've edited my original post to include this stuff, and also bolded the days I can do. Let me know if there's anything else.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Josef bugman posted:

Hope this helps out, do ask if you need more help with character ideas/ what sort of scoundrel you'd like to be.

Cool, it does, thanks! Appreciate you being patient with a newbie!

So, I’d like to give this a shot, if you don’t mind the fact that I know nothing about the game system and you pretty much have to create the character for me, plus teach me how to play (mainly mechanics) for at least the next few turns.

If there’s a game book I can download and read, I’d be more than happy to do so.

Character Submission (photo to follow)

Background: Born into a working class family, Callista desperately wanted excitement and escape from her otherwise dull and dead-end life. Falling ‘in-love’ with an older and idealistic revolutionary, she ran away from home to join the ‘the cause’, only to find heart break and disappointment once the romantic illusions of the ‘Rebellion’ faded into everyday reality.

That was a few years ago, and Callista’s been doing anything and everything to survive on the streets of Duskwall ever since.

Slight of build and somewhat malnourished, Callista mainly relies on her charms, her quick wits, and fast hands to stay alive. She’s not adverse to violence, it’s just that a live ‘mark’ can feed you again tomorrow, whereas a dead one can only feed you for today.

Having seen the results of this oppressive, male dominated society, Callista’s dream is to see the woman of this place be liberated, freed from their invisible chains, and be given their rightful place as equals. And if she had to bring down every man who gets in her way to bring about this vision, well, all the better. Its time these ‘men’ be brought down to face the consequences of their actions.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I have never played this before either so I'm sure it'll be fine :confuoot:

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Sounds good, just as a quick thing but what was your background, were you always a revolutionary or did you start off learning a trade of some kind?

Also, do you have any ideas for characters you can trust/ get on with, or ones you are actively feuding with?

Has always been radical, as his father was part of a failed dockworkers strike, but kept mostly within the law for the first half of his life. Formerly worked as a warehouse clerk in a shipping company, impressed enough to be taken on as a personal secretary and did some time in the Dagger Isles, accounting for inventory. What he saw there was enough to convince him that the system was rotten to the core, and when he got home he joined up with a soft revoluntionary group, and his anonymous ledgers documenting the practices of the Empire overseas caused a minor stir. That group collapsed, and the next more radical one collapsed too, he's now deep into the revolutionary movement.

Friend- Lice Sticjk- Dock foreman- Contact within the dockworkers, has been known to smuggle in goods or provide access to a warehouse. Former friend of Keir's father.

Foes- Liza Billings- Former best friend, and fellow secretary at the shipping company. She heavily suspects that Kier was the one who passed on his ledgers, and has felt betrayed ever since. Now fairly senior in the records office of Duskvol.

I'd also like some members of his revolutionary society, but I was thinking of pitching ideas when we get to crew creation, as a cohort.

(I've put my days availability in my original post)

Miftan posted:

Items:
I have no idea how to do this properly. How many can I have?

Items aren't done during character creation, the list represents everything you can reasonably and easily get hold of. At the beginning of a mission you choose load level, which roughly corresponds to how suspicious you look. You can pick any item from your item list as needed, until you run out of load. After that, you're locked in for the rest of the mission.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
As far as Items go you have all of them listed on your sheet. At the start of each mission you'll select a load level and that determines how many items you can say you have with you which you don't determine ahead of time.

Also for everyone's benefit here is a link to character sheets and a players kit.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CourValant posted:

Would you like to consider either the Lurk- https://bladesinthedark.com/sites/default/files/sheets/blades_sheets_v8_2_Lurk.pdf

Or

Slide- https://bladesinthedark.com/sites/default/files/sheets/blades_sheets_v8_2_Slide.pdf

as an option? I mean probably the lurk would fit better, but I just wanted to confirm! Also, don't worry at all, I haven't played much blades, but I want to trial it out and everyone is being super cool about it at the moment!

Undead Hippo posted:

Items aren't done during character creation, the list represents everything you can reasonably and easily get hold of. At the beginning of a mission you choose load level, which roughly corresponds to how suspicious you look. You can pick any item from your item list as needed, until you run out of load. After that, you're locked in for the rest of the mission.

Thanks very much for the background info and the explanation. Yes "load" is usually decided on before a job and is based on if you want to go out "loaded for bear" or if you want to blend in with your fellow citizens.

As a quick thing, I have a copy of the "Radicals" playbook, but I am making some changes to it as it is very much based on earlier ideas of what the game would look like. I will get it posted within the next few days! (link to the playbook: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0IrYKSJRl46bTNTZklQSWpuMFE/view)

In particular I am thinking of replacing some of the special abilities with things closer to the "Vigilanties" specialist set-up because as is the Radicals book is both painfully generic and also kind of shite at modelling revolutionary things.

For instance. We are going to have Protected Ground to start with, this work's as follows;

Your crew is brand new, but you have chosen some small part of a district as your protected grounds. This is the area that you have pledged to keep safe, and you know it well. The area is small, only three or four city blocks—but it’s still an
intrusion on someone. The GM will tell you about two factions which have been impacted by your presence:
One faction is pleased you are keeping the peace. Take +2 status with them.
One faction is threatened by your presence. Take -2 status with them.

Choose your preferred methods to keep these places safe:
Uniting: Connecting your community together to fight.
Interference: Disrupting Counter-Revolutionary operations.
Resistance: Defying oppressive laws and customs.
Terror: Intimidating your enemies.
When you prepare to execute an operation of your preferred type in your protected grounds, you get +1d to any gather information rolls and a free additional downtime activity to contribute to that operation. This can help you discover an opportunity, acquire an asset you might need for the job, find an appropriate target, etc. When you acquire a claim you also expand the size and/or type of your protected grounds.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 27, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Slide please! :)

In my head I see her as someone who doesn't get her hands 'dirty'; why risk getting caught doing something when you can just get some 'guy' to do it for you?

Josef bugman posted:

Also, don't worry at all, I haven't played much blades, but I want to trial it out and everyone is being super cool about it at the moment!

Wonderful! :ocelot: :)

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do to finish character creation; should I fill out the character sheet, pick equipment, allies, foes, roll for anything, etc.?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CourValant posted:

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do to finish character creation; should I fill out the character sheet, pick equipment, allies, foes, roll for anything, etc.?

No need to roll anything, or pick equipment, but just do as others have done, look at the sheet and see what you would like to be able to do. For what skills do look at page 26 of this document: https://bladesinthedark.com/sites/default/files/blades_playerkit_v8_2.pdf

Also it looks as if we may have every single last playbook covered, which makes for a rather nice spread!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Josef bugman posted:

No need to roll anything, or pick equipment, but just do as others have done, look at the sheet and see what you would like to be able to do.

Alright, updated my initial post to show my character sheet; please take a look and let me know if I did it properly; will post a photo when I get a chance.

Also, I can only play by post; not sure if the plan is to get on discord for a 'live play' game night.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My recommendation for protected grounds would be Coalridge or the Docks, trying to help the struggling workers by keeping them safe from gangers, extortionists, landlords, payday lenders and other criminal scum. Also, Mr. Bugman, what time zone are you referring to for the suggested times?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

sullat posted:

My recommendation for protected grounds would be Coalridge or the Docks, trying to help the struggling workers by keeping them safe from gangers, extortionists, landlords, payday lenders and other criminal scum. Also, Mr. Bugman, what time zone are you referring to for the suggested times?

Well they post a bunch in the UK megathread in dnd so I’d presume it’s GMT.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Current plan, based on what people have been responding with, is to have it on Discord at 1800-2200 GMT on a Wednesday.

However, if people would prefer Play by post instead that is also fine, it's more the fact that personal experience teaches me unless things are planned out there ends up being a lot of waiting around.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Discord on wednesdays sounds cool with me. The only caveat is that I might (sometimes) have to disappear for half an hour between 20:30-21:00 to pick up the SO from work. Shouldn’t be very frequent if at all.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Josef bugman posted:

Current plan, based on what people have been responding with, is to have it on Discord at 1800-2200 GMT on a Wednesday.

So, yeah, 1800 GMT on a Wednesday is 1000 Pacific Time; I'm right in the middle of work, can't play by discord, and posting during that time might be problematic.

Still like to play though, if we can do PbP during the week; actual 4 hour play session during that period is a no go for me, I'm afraid.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'll only be able to do 2 or 3 Wednesdays for the next three months Tuesdays would have worked out much better for me...

Rumda fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 1, 2018

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay so current votes go as follows:

Tuesday-Discord
Rumda
Undead Hippo

Wednesday-Discord
Miftan
Firos
Antilles
Undead Hippo

PBP
CourValant

Okay I think I still need to hear from Sullat about timings, but does anyone want to make any other recommendations? I am more than happy to do this as PbP if that is easiest for everyone.

Thanks!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Playing on discord would be my preference since I do enjoy the virtual gaming session, but I am also on pacific time. Although I am a terrible employee who secretly plays on his phone at work, playing a whole gaming session would be a little too far. PbP would also work, but if you guys have your hearts set on Discord, maybe I can start a PbP BiTD game.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I might have to pull out, unfortunately. Sorry Bugman, I was looking forward to it but real life circumstances will get in the way. Have fun!

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
So, we've still got three players who can do Wednesday evening GMT (and Rumda might be able to in a month or so?). Want to go forward with that?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I'm down.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Undead Hippo posted:

So, we've still got three players who can do Wednesday evening GMT (and Rumda might be able to in a month or so?). Want to go forward with that?

I'll be able to do Wednesday except the fourth Wednesday of every month

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hey that sounds good to me, anyone else want to confirm?

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Should be doable to me, yeah

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Josef bugman posted:

Hey that sounds good to me, anyone else want to confirm?

So, no PbP then? Guess I'll take my leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CourValant posted:

So, no PbP then? Guess I'll take my leave.

Afraid not. Sorry CourValant!

• Locked thread