Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

drat, that card doesn’t look too bad. Platinum Mike, Andrade, and a swangin’n’bangin main event. OSP sometimes does cool poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Angela Hill (in the FOX prelims) always puts on an exciting fight too.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

FishBowlRobot posted:

drat, that card doesn’t look too bad. Platinum Mike, Andrade, and a swangin’n’bangin main event. OSP sometimes does cool poo poo too.

Yah.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I forgot Mike Perry was fighting.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/alexjoates11/status/967202814861631488

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
good luck to powerful r-word mike perry on successfully removing his opponent's clothes tonight after the disastrous dry run at the weigh ins

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

Marching Powder posted:

To my eyes, jacare has crazy subs, and legitimately scary power in his hands, but his wrestling was never better than pretty good and his technical ability with his hands is limited. Essentially, his skill set means he should be able to annihilate everyone except the championship echelon. And that's pretty much how his career played out.

If he had better wrestling to utilise his subs or better technical striking to land his power, he'd be champ. But he doesn't. So he isn't.

idk his only actual loss in the last like seven years is whittaker, who's extremely good. i think jacare could easily have been champion if he didn't get robbed against yoel and got to fight rockhold again, or bisping, or whoever was champ.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
jacare vs. bisping at the height of his power would have been a really fun fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Foul Fowl posted:

idk his only actual loss in the last like seven years is whittaker, who's extremely good. i think jacare could easily have been champion if he didn't get robbed against yoel and got to fight rockhold again, or bisping, or whoever was champ.

i agree, he could easily be a champion, but i won't be sitting back in slack jawed amazement that he hasn't quite gotten there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Jacare might have beaten Bisping, maybe.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Jacare might not have the most tools in his box on the feet, but he hits hard enough to cause Bisping problems and can pressure guys enough that I could imagine him forcing Bisping into bad habits. Jacare's not a Maia style guy and I don't think he'd dash himself upon the rocks of Bisping's takedown defense until he gassed, though it is of course a possibility. I think it'd be like the GSP fight where Bisping eventually absorbs a shot that leads to a finish on the ground, but with an actual middleweight and not a retired guy dying from rear end problems.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the real what if is what if misaki never retired before he got folded into the ufc

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the real what if is what if misaki never retired before he got folded into the ufc

well he had that fight of the year with jorge santiago

then we have jorge's entire ufc career

Misaki beating up Paul Daley and then retiring is the best mma retirement since Genki sudo

go out on a win

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
yeah but imagine how good of a fight misaki losing to carlos condit could have been

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
jacare seems reasonably happy to stand up with people .. plus and this is just my personal feeling but i think he has the je ne sais quois that maia maybe lacks, hes an impressive athlete. additionally he looks sort of like a moai statue without the caked on pigeon poo poo though that doesnt really have anything to do with anything

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Kelvins hands are very nice, possibly even borat voice very nice. I like the fight

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

I.N.R.I posted:

jacare seems reasonably happy to stand up with people .. plus and this is just my personal feeling but i think he has the je ne sais quois that maia maybe lacks, hes an impressive athlete. additionally he looks sort of like a moai statue without the caked on pigeon poo poo though that doesnt really have anything to do with anything

Uh hi, ariel helwani mma fighting, so what you're saying basically is he has a long face?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Uh hi, ariel helwani mma fighting, so what you're saying basically is he has a long face?

ariel helwani here, follow up question, do you think he could grow a nice beard on his long face? what kind of beard does he like? would he shave his neck or leave it? what about the moustache would he let it grow longer than the rest?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Can we squash the beef?

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Can someone clue me into what's driven the evolution of Jeremy Stephens' striking? I always had the mental image of him being a pretty typical stand-and-bang-er with dynamite in his fists, but he looked pretty crafty against Giblert with his kicks and Superboy with his feints.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Do we have any realistic idea of what a high-level lightweight or welterweight will weigh when getting into the cage?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

Do we have any realistic idea of what a high-level lightweight or welterweight will weigh when getting into the cage?

On average, +15-20

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

On average, +15-20

So 170-175 / 185-190. That's what I thought. Thanks.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Am I missing a GDT or are people really not enjoying Rani Yahya styling on Russell Doane right now?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wise Learned Man posted:

Am I missing a GDT or are people really not enjoying Rani Yahya styling on Russell Doane right now?

Make one

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Pretty sure Yahya might have got mildly concussed there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I missed this version of Sam Alvey

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I still think Alvey is a boring turd, but that was pretty neat. It helped that dude marched right up to him with his chin in the air like that, but still.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I missed this version of Sam Alvey

same, there's a gdt now

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Neeber posted:

Can someone clue me into what's driven the evolution of Jeremy Stephens' striking? I always had the mental image of him being a pretty typical stand-and-bang-er with dynamite in his fists, but he looked pretty crafty against Giblert with his kicks and Superboy with his feints.

He started training at Alliance with Dominick Cruz.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Neeber posted:

I think one thing that's been hugely in his favor is his power. He knows he's got it, so he can dial back the pace and aggression and look for better openings. I think just by being less willing to engage, his defense has improved, where in the past, he was solidly in take one to land one territory.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Marching Powder posted:

To my eyes, jacare has crazy subs, and legitimately scary power in his hands, but his wrestling was never better than pretty good and his technical ability with his hands is limited. Essentially, his skill set means he should be able to annihilate everyone except the championship echelon. And that's pretty much how his career played out.

If he had better wrestling to utilise his subs or better technical striking to land his power, he'd be champ. But he doesn't. So he isn't.

disagree with the scary power comment. he's not feather fisted but he's been in plenty of fights where he was landing consistently but it wasn't having much effect. partly that was probably a technique thing which he seems to have tightened up over his recent fights, but i wouldn't say his power is 'scary'. i'd probably rate his striking technique better, too, though that's just an intuition and i'd have to rewatch his latest performances to comment meaningfully. i agree with the apparent consensus here he's a good matchup for kelvin, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Also, what is the deal with DC's mic setup? How many times has it been that he's sounded like he's talking into his hand?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Also, what is the deal with DC's mic setup? How many times has it been that he's sounded like he's talking into his hand?

He keeps taking it off because he never knows when he'll have to run in the cage and beat up Ilir Latifi.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://instagram.com/p/BfnC3CHBgET/

Whittaker calling for the Romero rematch to be held on the Chicago PPV

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jeremy Stephens has been in the UFC a long loving time. He headlined his first UFC fight night on the same day that Tyron Woodley made his pro debut. He has been in the UFC longer than most of the current champions have been fighting professionally. And he's only 31. He's going to easily be the first fighter to have 30 UFC fights.

I'm finding this all quite surprising.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
yeah last night I was kinda surprised Cerrone beat him to the most UFC wins race cause Stephens has been around way longer

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Brown Paper Bag posted:

https://instagram.com/p/BfnC3CHBgET/

Whittaker calling for the Romero rematch to be held on the Chicago PPV

I was already planning on going but :bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again