Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm assuming this is also going to function as the S10 thread b/c the OP is mostly S9 stuff and not AS2 stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Are we getting a S10 thread any time soon? It's never too early to overanalyze the new batch of queens. A lot of strong personalities, judging from the MtQ videos.

I'd prefer a new thread so the OP can concentrate on the new queens.

I just finished watching the MtQ videos and I'm excited. Out of them, I really liked Blair St.Clair, Dusty Ray Bottoms, Miz Cracker, Monet X Change, and Yuhua Hamasaki. They stood out the most to me. Of course Eureka is a favorite going in. Kalorie Karbdashian reminded me of Jiggly and Aquira reminds me of Aja. I don't know if that's good or bad yet. The other girls I'm sure I'll like once the show starts to air but their videos didn't really hold my attention.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Oh, there will be an S10 thread. I'll put it together right after the end of AS3.

Two sets of OPs in a couple of months :suicide: :v:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I don’t agree with the winner of this week.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i think bebe embodied the song during the dance off a little better but man trixie’s can was insanely better than bebe’s

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aerox posted:

The first episode of Drag Race Thailand has been subbed into English:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6eun3r

The first two contestants so far are a shrimp farmer and a coffin salesman.

Dodn't know what to expect but this was very good. A 3-in-1 runway using set materials for the first challenge seemed like a tough intro.

Thanks for posting this :)

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
Not here for the winner and I am gonna miss Aja. Her look was fierce. The can did suck though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just saw it. Fun episode but not amazing. Glad Trixie did well, and I'm happy enough with who went home given the two options.

I'm a bit ready for them to stop congratulating Bebe for doing the same thing over and over again. She does it extremely well, and I'm not exactly tired of seeing it, but I feel like at a conceptual level she has done less work than anybody. Every new challenge most of the queens are going "how can I do <thing> with a bit of my own style?", and Bebe's like "how can I do my own style with a bit of <thing>?" She's never disappointing, but she's never challenging either.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I don't have any particular problem with Trixie and Bebe being in the top; the outfits were kinda meh across the board and theirs were among the better ones. That said, I thought Aja's outfit looked the best even if it doesn't fit the theme by some technicality, so I thought her landing in the bottom 2 was pretty bullshit. Her soup can wasn't great but I honestly don't think it matters that much compared to the outfit itself. This felt like Bendela's elimination all over again.

I'm enjoying Bebe well enough, so don't take this as hate, but :lol: at the lipsync song being Diana Ross.

Some S10 MTQ impressions: Aquaria certainly isn't lacking in nerve and should be entertaining on confessionals if nothing else. Kameron Michaels has a certain something that makes me interested in her, but I'm not sure what. Could just be that "muscle queen" is kind of a novel idea we haven't really seen yet. Miz Cracker, Monet X Change, and Monique Heart stood out for me the most in terms of their wit and personality. Also as a random aside, Monet X Change is a great drag name, and Monique's "It's me!" makes me smile :allears:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

proud of Aja for keeping her cool on the runway when Bebe said she’d made her own outfit. And how she kept her composure when Bebe wouldn’t let her talk backstage. Also the part where she didn’t call Bebe out at any point, even though she totally had the right.

that elimination was so goddamn shady on so many levels.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The elimination was bullshit.

Bebe has been so incredibly mediocre (but safe) all season and the judges keep licking her rear end in a top hat.

So over it! I like Bebe, I like her style and personality, but she is ONE character every week.

Some of the other queens have SO much more versatility and have shown tremendous growth. I get that it’s a competition, and it’s gonna be shady especially since the queens themselves pick the “loser” but this format kinda sucks when then remaining queens aren’t as interesting. Thankfully some of the other remaining queens are good, I’m going to scream if Bebe makes it to the finale.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I don't think we've seen the end of the "made my own dress" shade, based on the end of the episode :)

why were there only three queens standing behind Alaska and Chad?

Also, can you imagine if Trixie pulls Shangela's lipstick out her bra?

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

I don't think we've seen the end of the "made my own dress" shade, based on the end of the episode :)

I think Thorgy and Milk both said gently caress it and left the sequester.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

Also, can you imagine if Trixie pulls Shangela's lipstick out her bra?

Presumably, two of the queens didn't want to come back. Based off of extensive tattoo analysis, it looks like the returning queens will be Aja, Chi Chi, and Morgan MM.

And while it would be super shady if Trixie chose to eliminate Shangie, I have faith in the goodness of their hearts that this won't be the case

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wish they'd chosen a different song. As soon as I saw Diana Ross I knew Bebe would win without too much effort. Trixie did well, but she looked like a drunk white girl at a karaoke bar and not always in a good way. But her energy was good, idk if it was the right song for that energy.

I wanted to see something more energetic. Bebe is a loving fierce as gently caress lip syncer, and I wanted to see her moving around that stage instead of just standing still and feelin' the Ross.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think Bebe had the better lip sync, but there probably hasn't been a contestant as doomed by song choice since Kenya vs. Latrice.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dude789 posted:

I think Bebe had the better lip sync, but there probably hasn't been a contestant as doomed by song choice since Kenya vs. Latrice.

She did have the better lip sync. I was listening to the Homophilia podcast today, and Trixie was this week's guest. She was saying that she's never been a talented lip syncher, and when she performed before she was on Drag Race, she would just always try and pick songs that would cater to the both the gay men and the drunk bachelorette parties, which was pretty much, "Barbie Girl."

With Bebe's win, I'm guessing that rumor about her this season is false, which makes me happy. I'm still terrified about that other rumor that you guys were all talking about a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I thought all the queens this week were a little underwhelming. The can of soup challenge was dumb, and I know we were just talking about it regarding Drag Race Thailand, but for christ's sake, it's ALL STAR'S 3. Learn to loving sew! Ru went easy on them this week. In past seasons, she's had them make 3 outfits in one challenge. All they had to do was make ONE, and none of them really did any good.

We're down to the final 5, these queens should be bringing their all every single week. Not just floating by like pretty much all of season 7.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I hope the song next week is 9 to 5 and it shows Trixie just making a stink face.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nihonniboku posted:

for christ's sake, it's ALL STAR'S 3. Learn to loving sew!

tbf this is the first time All Stars had a sewing challenge, and probably just because Shangie is there.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

dude789 posted:

Chi Chi v Thorgy was as equally stacked as it was glorious.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

That elimination was pure unadulterated producer bullshit. How in the hell does a can that's practically illegible win? It was a red and brown mess. I call shenanigans on this season and on boring, consistent Bebe being safe, nay, being a WINNER, now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bebe won more for her outfit than her can, imo. Ben's can was clearly superior in the judge's eyes but her outfit sucked. Bebe being more consistent over the 2 challenges got her the win. I figured it would be Bebe and Trixie before Ru even said their names.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Look I realize the salt response given how it all went down, but Bebe's can really did look like a piece of art on its own, while the others were at best clever gags on decent-to-ugly graphic design. Trixie had great gags in her monologues and great looks, but the can was hideous, aesthetically speaking, and she lost the lip sync for the same reasons she's lost basically the others: she performs everything a little glib and ironic, and Ru pretty much never goes for the tongue-in-cheek thing, she seems to prefer sincerity and commitment to the energy of whatever the song is, which Bebe had. I didn't want Aja to go home either cuz she's great, but Bebe deserved the runway and lip sync wins imo. I'm not even pulling for her to go much farther, but she did well in what was a fairly weak week where people were alternately running out of gas or had major weaknesses like "can't sew" and "doesn't know poo poo about the '70s".

Jay O fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 24, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, Bebe did well this episode. I wonder how much if it is people being thrown off b/c she got the typical 'make it look like this queen is going to fail but then she wins' edit that episode, or are just thrown off because she hasn't really shone at all this year other than in the VH1 Divas challenge.

I don't think Bebe's been doing all that great this season, but she earned the win and the lip sync for sure.

e: I liked her can a lot, tbf. it wasn't as snappy or fun as some of the other cans, but it definitely spoke 'Bebe' to me

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'm just hoping that the reactions in the teaser for next week being "this is bullshit" etc are because Ru has changed up how the eliminated queens coming back works in a way that causes maximum drama. "Winning queen exchanges places with queen who sent her home" would be loving scrumptious and also cause the most outrage of any elimination ever, barring maybe Katya and Ben.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not hating on her being in the top two or even winning this episode, I just think that repeatedly doing the same thing isn't what Drag Race is about, no matter how well you do it. I also wouldn't be surprised if the song selection this season was at least partially chosen with Bebe in mind; the second she goes up against one of the younger girls and the lip sync is some sort of banger she's going to fade into the drapes.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Drag Race Thailand is fantastic.

I am slightly bored by All Stars but I recall feeling this way about the previous All Stars seasons too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I'm not hating on her being in the top two or even winning this episode, I just think that repeatedly doing the same thing isn't what Drag Race is about, no matter how well you do it. I also wouldn't be surprised if the song selection this season was at least partially chosen with Bebe in mind; the second she goes up against one of the younger girls and the lip sync is some sort of banger she's going to fade into the drapes.

I don't know about that. Bebe may not be a trick queen, but bitch can move and has some mad stage presence in more upbeat songs and dance tracks. I wouldn't count her out when it comes to lip syncing. Count her out in other aspects of the competition, for sure, but as a performer she's loving phenomenal.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Aerox posted:

The first episode of Drag Race Thailand has been subbed into English:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6eun3r

The first two contestants so far are a shrimp farmer and a coffin salesman.

Thank you for sharing this, and for the rest of y'all: Don't loving sleep on this if you're a drag race stan. I know this is a dense month(s) of drag, but .... The skills are loving there and the hunger/energy are there. Production is iffy, but drat.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Thank you for sharing this, and for the rest of y'all: Don't loving sleep on this if you're a drag race stan. I know this is a dense month(s) of drag, but .... The skills are loving there and the hunger/energy are there. Production is iffy, but drat.

Yeah I'm way into it. It seems like it's maybe going to lean more heavily towards fish and fashion than any sort of comedy/non-dance performance stuff, but that may just be my impression from the first episode and how smokin' hot that lineup is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, what I watched of the Thailand series looks good. Is this the first foreign drag show with official Drag Race branding? It's slick as hell.

Probably going to wait for it to all be out and translated before I dive in, though. Maybe sit on it 'til season 10 is over so I have somehing to stave of the withdrawal.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pan Dulce posted:

That elimination was pure unadulterated producer bullshit. How in the hell does a can that's practically illegible win? It was a red and brown mess. I call shenanigans on this season and on boring, consistent Bebe being safe, nay, being a WINNER, now.

esperterra posted:

Bebe won more for her outfit than her can, imo. Ben's can was clearly superior in the judge's eyes but her outfit sucked. Bebe being more consistent over the 2 challenges got her the win. I figured it would be Bebe and Trixie before Ru even said their names.

Jay O posted:

Look I realize the salt response given how it all went down, but Bebe's can really did look like a piece of art on its own, while the others were at best clever gags on decent-to-ugly graphic design.

Why are you guys arguing about the cans? It was pretty clear that they queens just came up with the concept, and then they handed it off to the producers who gave it to someone who knows how to work photoshop. Aside from the gag, I really don't think the cans had much at all to do with the outcome. Remember, the judges didn't really care for Bebe's can or concept.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Yeah there was a shot of Ben cutting out some things that looked like Clip Art and I was like, "what"? I'm guessing they laid out their ideas and the art team took over to actually make them. That's why they were all, you know, professionally done and Shangela's didn't have the label coming off because she didn't use enough hot glue Hallelloo.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I shouldn't have said bored with AS3. It's - I'm not sure how to word it - more like I don't feel the drive from the competitors like I tend to in the normal seasons? Like I compare it to the excitement of the queens on Drag Race Thailand that I watched right after watching the last AS3 episode, and something feels lacking. Still a good show and one I don't regret buying on Amazon, but the fire is a bit on the low side by comparison.

That being said, Trixie's comment about losing the lipsync to Pearl just loving slayed me.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

You will be mithed, sis

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
loving fantastic

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tendai posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have said bored with AS3. It's - I'm not sure how to word it - more like I don't feel the drive from the competitors like I tend to in the normal seasons? Like I compare it to the excitement of the queens on Drag Race Thailand that I watched right after watching the last AS3 episode, and something feels lacking. Still a good show and one I don't regret buying on Amazon, but the fire is a bit on the low side by comparison.

That being said, Trixie's comment about losing the lipsync to Pearl just loving slayed me.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that season 2, half the cast were runner-ups. They came that close to winning the crown, they just didn't get it. The lowest ranking queen in their original season was Alyssa Edwards.

Whereas this season, not a single queen was a runner up, other than Bebe who won. Every other queen was eliminated middle of the pack, except for Chichi or Kennedy who at least made it to top 4. Hell, Trixie was eliminated before Snatch game in her original season.

The difference is that most of the queens this season originally came onto Drag Race after they began to realize that just being on the show can be a career maker. So many of the queens who come on the show are making six figures a year, something I don't even make as an attorney. I don't think they are all that concerned about getting the crown, just as long as they don't piss off the fans, they know that they were on All-Stars, and have gigs booked for the next year.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Re: Bebe's shtick in AS3

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm just happy Bebe is being exposed to a whole new set of potential fans who have never seen season 1. She's just such a polished queen and seems like a genuinely great person. I don't think she should stay much longer on AS3 unless she really steps her pussy up, but she hasn't been overly bad or anything. Even her Snatch Game had a few good laughs-- and lbr she was at a real disadvantage there, her season's the only one that didn't have that challenge while everyone but Trixie had done it at least once.

imo it's hard not to love Bebe. But she isn't exactly compelling television and the drag game has been stepped up so hard since season 1 that polish isn't enough to take you all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

All of these queens are here because they're amazing. I just feel like the challenges are not serving them. They're easy, not pushing the queens. I understand after 9 seasons and 2 other all stars it's probably hard for Ru and her writers or whoever to come up with new and exciting challenges. But what is being asked of the queens is so much less than they can serve. That's the boring element. The charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent is being wasted on bad look ideas and bad lip-sync song choices. Seriously who was in charge of picking songs this season?

For all stars, they should revisit fan favorite looks for the challenges. I don't know. I'm still loving the season, but I feel very frustrated these last few episodes.

• Locked thread