Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
MINING
DRONES
EVERYWHERE

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jabor posted:

I don't think defenses are really there to totally no-sell a comparable enemy. They exist so that you can go on the offensive without having to worry about the war turning into a base race - and for that, they only need to hold a fleet long enough that your own fleet can arrive.

4-6 systems is a really wide front line, incidentally (so you'd expect that to hinder the relative effectiveness of static defenses). Even playing on large elliptical layout with default hyperlane density, I can typically lock down one front (to the point where going around would take so long the war would be over) with only two defensive positions. Yes, that would mean giving up the handful systems on the wrong side of the natural choke points, but that's just a choice you have to make when choosing to focus on defense.

I agree that citadels shouldn't be wholly impenetrable, but anything less than a fully-specced bastion starbase with maximum defense platforms is rolled over in the snap of a finger by a late-game fleet, and the aforementioned fully-specced bastion can easily run into (from memory, I'd have to check for the exact numbers) 70 or more energy per bastion, most of it from the defense platforms. Multiply that by the length of the front line, and it gets tricky to pay for all that - and this isn't getting into the cost in time and minerals it takes to actually get those bastions up and running in the first place, or more critically the time it takes to replace defense platforms after a battle. As for the length of the front line, 4-6 chokepoints is what I came up with AFTER I deliberately designated wide swathes of the border to be abandoned in the event of war specifically to cut down on the amount of systems I needed to defend - had I been attempting to fully defend the primary border, I'd have been looking at 10 or more starbases, plus 6 more on the secondary front. It's great that you're in a situation where you can afford to defend only a handful of chokepoints, but that's hardly guaranteed in every strategic situation. In my own case, I spawned in a pretty wide open area with only two other empires in the region - there was no way I could have controlled my expansion to guarantee only one or two access points for the other empires, not without restricting my expansion to like a dozen systems maximum.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Man, I'm the only pacifist empire in the Galaxy so literally no one wants to join my federation because I can't do wars of aggression. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. -50? Really?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Corbeau posted:

Yes. In fact I had no idea they could die until reading the thread just now.

a foreign empire managed to accidentally rescue them for me

and got a placeholder_name diplo boost to my opinion of them for it

too bad I'm Fanatical Purifiers, and also I'm not an ai

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's a shame that after all this time using auto best ships still frequently reduces your fleet strength when you upgrade.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The gap between 1.0 hyperlane connectivity and .75 is pretty vast. I think I'd enjoy something in-between, closer to 1, but with more breaks/gulfs. Especially in elliptical galaxies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Kill them last. Or first. Which ever seems most merciful.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Note that the fleet will display zero ships out of whichever amount you have it set to if they're outdated. And if you put the auto-update auto-design ships into your fleets they'll be outdated a lot. It still shouldn't let you actually reinforce those "missing" ships (at least it doesn't let me), but it will display like they're gone, even though they're perfectly happy existing. The moment you retrofit they'll be accounted for again.

Yes pretty sure this is where the bug kept kicking in for me. I was using auto design so whenever they needed updating it would zero them out and add them to the reinforcement queue. Which if you clicked would recreate the entire fleet, except with no open template each ship creates it's own fleet. And if you try to cancel the build order, it adds each canceled ship to the reinforcement queue too. Lesson learned to not use auto design yet I suppose.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Apparently you can use Armageddon Bombardment to turn a planet into a Tomb World, which you could then inhabit.

Clearly Wiz you need to enable this option on uninhabited planets.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I seem to have found a bug with the contingency crisis. If you planet crack their AI worlds rather than bombard them to destruction, they don't really count as destroyed in the situation log. Right now i'm sitting at 2 destroyed and 2 remaining, with the latter two currently having their molten core lewdly exposed to the elements, so it doesn't seem like I'll be able to properly conclude this crisis

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So if you build multiple crew quarters modules in the same starbase, do their bonuses stack (ie 2x crew quarters = 50% upkeep reduction)? I'm assuming not, but I wanted to confirm before spending a bunch of spacebucks in this ironman game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how do you get the game to acknowledge that ships in your fleet count towards the ships in your fleet template?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

prussian advisor posted:

So if you build multiple crew quarters modules in the same starbase, do their bonuses stack (ie 2x crew quarters = 50% upkeep reduction)? I'm assuming not, but I wanted to confirm before spending a bunch of spacebucks in this ironman game.

I don't think you CAN build multiple of the same building (as opposed to modules), so the point is moot.

I.E. You can build multiple shipyards and trading hubs in the same starbase, but you can only build one fleet academy or offworld trading company.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You can change your civics, you could become Xenophiles. Because if aliens are willing to save your people, maybe they're not all bad?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hunt11 posted:

So how do you get the game to acknowledge that ships in your fleet count towards the ships in your fleet template?
Upgrade your ships to actually match the ships in the template.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I am the Heirarch Triumvirate (spelt wrong because i'm dumb :downs:), a Caste system spiritualist empire lead by a Divine Empress (in my fiction, the Triumvirate are made up of three castes, representing the different science areas of the Empire). Since the discovery of the Athalid Horde we have been in a constant struggle with the nightmarish devourers. Our first war with them was unexpected and would have led to our quick demise if it weren't for the loyal and faithful help of our nearest neighbours, the robotic consciousness of the Kelbrid Multisystem. Together we destroyed the Horde's main fleet at Brakma, pushing them back into a retreat and forcing a white peace.

In the second war we were more prepared, now realising the hostility beside us. Again though they came, this time stronger and more intelligent. Our Home Guard was pushed back into a retreat and our two other fleets found themselves dashing between Brakma to the west and Ophele to the north. The war raged on, both the Triumvirate and the Horde taking wins, until eventually through exhaustion a fragile peace was made, again ending in stalemate and our economy almost in ruins.

Now we are preparing for the third war, likely to be the biggest on of all. Our robotic friends in Kelbrid continue to support us, and the Ethir Hierarchy have also joined in a pact with us. I fear though time is against us. The Horde have declared war against a far northern empire, and we are a year away before we can declare war and look at reducing this nightmare down. We can only hope that they can hold on a little longer and divert the Horde's attention to the north, while we focus on the south.

On another note, this expansion/patch is absolutely amazing and it's like i'm playing Stellaris 2. Wiz and the team have outdone themselves - fantastic improvements and changes all round to the game.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 24, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Upgrade your ships to actually match the ships in the template.

Huh? The issue is that suddenly ships that have been the base of a fleet since the start of the game are now showing up 14/0 in the fleet manager.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chalks posted:

It's a shame that after all this time using auto best ships still frequently reduces your fleet strength when you upgrade.

i wouldn't do auto-best anymore, the system is too complicated now for that. you need to be actively making decisions during ship design because the various weapons are so different, and you should be making more than one design for each class to have different roles filled in battle, i.e. some of your cruisers should be carrier-picketers while others are hanging out in the line with your destroyers.

once you design a ship for its role you shouldn't ever have to tinker with it much except to slap upgrades on, so it's not a huge time sink

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a blast with the new Stellaris -it really feels like playing a more abstract version of SEV.

Dumb question: Can you switch off the auto-designer? I'm not using it and manually deleting all these superfluous auto-designs is really cumbersome.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Libluini posted:

I'm having a blast with the new Stellaris -it really feels like playing a more abstract version of SEV.

Dumb question: Can you switch off the auto-designer? I'm not using it and manually deleting all these superfluous auto-designs is really cumbersome.

there's a checkbox in the bottom left of the fleet design window that turns it off

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Libluini posted:

there's a check-box labelled "Auto-generate designs" in the lower left of the ship designer

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fintilgin posted:

The gap between 1.0 hyperlane connectivity and .75 is pretty vast. I think I'd enjoy something in-between, closer to 1, but with more breaks/gulfs. Especially in elliptical galaxies.

Same, but for tech/tradition cost. And also split the two into individual sliders.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Did the horizon signal break again, am I just very unlucky on getting omega alignment, or did I break something by doing a synth ascendancy in the middle of the event chain?

Or a combination of the above?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Is it just me or has auto-explore broke a bit later on in the game?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just now noticed that pirates get corvettes that have two auxiliary slots and two medium turrets, where do I get one of these super corvettes? It would be nice to research upgraded ship parts that give you a couple of extra slots or more weapon slots.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shouldn't Space Amoebas Forever set them to neutral?

I seem to remember it did pre-2.0. I don't want to fight them. :ohdear:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

There seems to be a bug going on in war at the moment:

All those defeats in that list are actually wins on my side? They're territory containing spaceports that I've attacked and taken successfully? So why are they registering as Defeats and making my war exhaustion go up? Rather than the other way round?

Quite sure this is a bug.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Enigmatic fortress is instantly repairing itself so I can't do the event chain :rip:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jazerus posted:

i wouldn't do auto-best anymore, the system is too complicated now for that. you need to be actively making decisions during ship design because the various weapons are so different, and you should be making more than one design for each class to have different roles filled in battle, i.e. some of your cruisers should be carrier-picketers while others are hanging out in the line with your destroyers.

once you design a ship for its role you shouldn't ever have to tinker with it much except to slap upgrades on, so it's not a huge time sink

Humz, seems like even more micromanagement but I guess I'll have to do it since the fleet manager seems to be completely broken when it comes to auto best.

I mean seriously, I have one auto-best corvette design and one auto-best destroyer design so what the hell am I even looking at here:

Can't upgrade the fleet, can't get the template to recognise the existence of all the various "types" of corvette despite only having one design for them.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

Huh? The issue is that suddenly ships that have been the base of a fleet since the start of the game are now showing up 14/0 in the fleet manager.

I have been having the same thing. My workaround so far is to pull them out of the fleet, change the design slightly like swapping one armor and shield position then upgrade it, make sure that design is not in the original fleet template and click the - til it is gone if it is and finally merge them back together. It works sometimes.

I have also managed to duplicate the temp fleet this way and end up with a bunch of free cruisers though so something is screwy.

For others experiencing this bug: Do you mess around with your fleets with the game paused? I think that might be what was causing it for me since when I started doing fleet management without it paused it has not happened again so far.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 24, 2018

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Enigmatic fortress is instantly repairing itself so I can't do the event chain :rip:

I managed to do the event chain despite the fortress constantly repairing itself. It comes back online with like 1 hp so just park a fleet in front of it and it'll get swatted back down every couple of days. Then you can have a scientist with his ship on passive stance do the projects in the system. Make sure the scientist is waiting nearby before you engage the fortress for the first time, though: you'll start getting "fortress repowers" events 700ish days after you kill it for the first time, there's no way to avoid them and they cancel all progress so you have to finish the chain in 700 days or it becomes impossible. You will continue getting fortress repowers events for like 5 years after the end of the chain but they won't do anything because the fortress disappears when you finish the chain.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

I have been having the same thing. My workaround so far is to pull them out of the fleet, change the design slightly like swapping one armor and shield position then upgrade it, make sure that design is not in the original fleet template and click the - til it is gone if it is and finally merge them back together. It works sometimes.

I have also managed to duplicate the temp fleet this way and end up with a bunch of free cruisers though so something is screwy.

I will be sure to give it a try. The real annoying thing is that it is hard to complain too hard as due to this being a complete reboot of the game it is only to be expected that things would break.

Outside of this I am loving the expansion so far. Fleet combat is so much more dynamic and I do like the way that you have to purposfully carve out your own space piece by piece.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

cock hero flux posted:

I managed to do the event chain despite the fortress constantly repairing itself. It comes back online with like 1 hp so just park a fleet in front of it and it'll get swatted back down every couple of days. Then you can have a scientist with his ship on passive stance do the projects in the system. Make sure the scientist is waiting nearby before you engage the fortress for the first time, though: you'll start getting "fortress repowers" events 700ish days after you kill it for the first time, there's no way to avoid them and they cancel all progress so you have to finish the chain in 700 days or it becomes impossible. You will continue getting fortress repowers events for like 5 years after the end of the chain but they won't do anything because the fortress disappears when you finish the chain.

I'm sort of amazed that some of these event chains are still so screwy. Seems like they must be pushing the limit of what the event engine was designed to do...?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I'm sort of amazed that some of these event chains are still so screwy. Seems like they must be pushing the limit of what the event engine was designed to do...?

that's wiz's specialty

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

WMain00 posted:

There seems to be a bug going on in war at the moment:

All those defeats in that list are actually wins on my side? They're territory containing spaceports that I've attacked and taken successfully? So why are they registering as Defeats and making my war exhaustion go up? Rather than the other way round?

Quite sure this is a bug.

This appears to be about how war exhaustion works. If you win a combat but lose a significant portion of your naval cap in ships, you get more war exhaustion than the opponent and so it counts as a defeat. I don't think the game gives starbase loss enough war exhaustion points right now.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how hard is the star trek mod? I've barely played the base game at all and have no idea what im doing but holy man the mod sounds great and i wanna fire it up

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

It wasn't actually making the events to do anything though, and then the war in heaven kicked off and it was right next to the guys I picked against so everything got put on halt forever

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Aethernet posted:

This appears to be about how war exhaustion works. If you win a combat but lose a significant portion of your naval cap in ships, you get more war exhaustion than the opponent and so it counts as a defeat. I don't think the game gives starbase loss enough war exhaustion points right now.

I don't think losing a starbase counts as any war exhaustion except for the normal stuff you'd get from losing control of a system.

I'm trying a workshop mod which reduces war exhaustion from losing ships to 25% of what it is now, and halves the annual gain from just time in war. Right now it feels too low, but the AI is definitely able to win chunks of territory in wars. There's definitely a sweet spot in between where the numbers work best.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Aethernet posted:

I don't think I'm losing many shops though, if it all? And I'm taking large swathes of territory from outpost attacks.

This is a bit odd :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I'm sitting on 10k minerals before having researched destroyers in 2270. Gaia start + 2x tech cost seems to do odd things to the balance of the game. I just don't have anything else to spend money on. Expanding as fast as I can so I can find things to blow up or colonize.