Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It continues to drop in the next two zones, so you'll get it done sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In fairness, most of them suck. The only one I don't hate is Battle Without End and that hasn't been updated in years (unless they snuck one in there within the last year)

Infiroad hasn't updated in forever but it's still cool in the sense of 'how badly can I break this' (it turns out pretty badly)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Merijn posted:

Thanks! So I understand that you could do multiple free excav resets in a single R. Would reducing your production by 90% not basically prevent this?

First, the 90% production penalty only applies until you abdicate. Unless you're trying for multiple free resets within a single abdication *cough*elfartifact*cough*, it's largely a non-issue, just don't do it in a production run to grind gems unless you're about ready to abdicate anyway. If you're not going for the elf artifact, there's no problem with spacing out your free resets across multiple excavations unless you're doing something that takes a long time to get production up to speed.

Second, you need 500 more excavations for each consecutive free reset in a given R. So at the previous example of R108, first free reset requires 7400 excavations. Second requires 7900, third requires 8400, and so on. Eventually you hit the point where you can't get your excavations high enough for more, at least not without grinding your gems significantly past the amount you need to reincarnate.

Like the excavations themselves, your free reset counter resets when you reincarnate. Reincarnation itself does up the requirement by 50 though. So R109's first free reset (regardless of how many free resets you did in R108) is 7450 excavations, second is 7950, and so on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ungulateman posted:

Infiroad hasn't updated in forever but it's still cool in the sense of 'how badly can I break this' (it turns out pretty badly)
That's true, Infiroad rules, I just think of it as distinct enough from the "you're a dude grinding for item drops" genre that it didn't come to mind.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I did a 24 hour challenge with not even half those stats, but I did it on a weekend where I could basically poke it every ~hour or so. :shrug:

I think it's the 2 large 8 hour plus chunks of time where it's just idling.

If I was sitting on it for a full day I'm pretty sure I could get to 58 in half a day easily, the offline idle just doesn't seem that great.

What did you do per run?

I stick the minimum 6 energy into attack and defence, then everything else into time machine until it hits level 5. With the caves gold I get a tick of 3 million a sec.

After that I dump the full million energy into augs and all the magic into blood.

For augs I get the one that gives you a 1000 boost up to about 9 or 10 in a 30 min run with the gold I'm getting.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Laughing that the respawn perk had actually made adventure spawns slower. The fun of programming.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dragongem posted:

Laughing that the respawn perk had actually made adventure spawns slower. The fun of programming.

When I was a kid I had a game called Faxanadu. You could get a pendant that was supposed to make you stronger. Unfortunately they screwed up and the game started with the pendant buff on, so picking it up would toggle it off, making you weaker.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

NGU question: the update mentions that Titans are now automatically killed when they spawn if you have enough stats. How do I toggle this feature? I meet the stat requirements for both Titans but don't seem to be killing them when they spawn, I still have to go to their zone to do it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Ninth Layer posted:

NGU question: the update mentions that Titans are now automatically killed when they spawn if you have enough stats. How do I toggle this feature? I meet the stat requirements for both Titans but don't seem to be killing them when they spawn, I still have to go to their zone to do it.

The settings page.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Samuringa posted:

Realm Grinder: I think I might be misreading or misunderstanding something. The last Drow faction upgrade says the Combo Strike bonus will be applied passively; that should mean I wouldn't have to cast it for my profits to go up, only for the percentage to grow, right? Yet there is a noticeable drop in my production when the spell is not active.

You may have taken Shadow Advance, the third bronze upgrade for the Drow which increases the production of all buildings by 750% when you have no spells active or offline. That sound about right for the drop in production?

I was recently trying to unlock all the autocasting upgrades around reincarnation 5 when I had a facepalm moment. Reincarnation 3 unlocks mercenaries, which I used to get around 300 magic regen, climbing to around 600 by the end. The core components of the build were the Druid and Faceless perks that gave mana regen based off the number of assistants and the drow perk that increased mana regen over time. Only after idling long enough to reach the 50e6 mana milestone did I realize that... Fairy Chanting with Fairy Choir triples the -number- of assistants, not the production. After abdicating and doing about half my magic regen build, I realized that off the bat this almost doubles my regen and pays for keeping itself active within a mere ten minutes of a new run, without any of the angel multipliers or perks that gave more assistants. For fucks sake, I could have unlocked this days ago in a fraction of the time. Also, I went good for spells cast-> mana regen merc contract.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 22, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

LordSloth posted:

You may have taken Shadow Advance, the third bronze upgrade for the Drow which increases the production of all buildings by 750% when you have no spells active or offline. That sound about right for the drop in production?

I'm not calculating this exactly, but I'm going to guess it might be this.

I also unlocked the Mercenaries and I guess now is the time for me to break out spreadsheets and being comparing factions bonuses, mix-maxing and such.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
To save you a little time: Lightning Strike is extremely good if you can get it to hit something that's getting a power boost from somewhere else. The 'standard' build is Fairy Chanting, using either Inns or Blacksmiths depending on what the predictor says you're going to hit more of.

Also take the elf upgrade that boosts clicking, it says 85% but it's actually a 17x multiplier because clicks are worth a baseline of 5% (so it's 5% -> 90%).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
ITRTG: I finished all the AACs and started in on black hole challenges. How many does it take to max out? And is there a display somewhere that shows the progess or the effect of doing them?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Toshimo posted:

The settings page.

I'm getting the EXP from it but not the loot in online play.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Ratzap posted:

ITRTG: I finished all the AACs and started in on black hole challenges. How many does it take to max out? And is there a display somewhere that shows the progess or the effect of doing them?

40 BHC for a max 80% reduction. The wiki has a list of what discount each one grants (since it’s not consistent), but that’s about it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Enigma posted:

40 BHC for a max 80% reduction. The wiki has a list of what discount each one grants (since it’s not consistent), but that’s about it.

Thanks, I should have realised there would be a wiki.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm getting the EXP from it but not the loot in online play.

This is why the setting exists.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
NGU v.360: Hoo, the new augmentation stats have really slowed the game down to a crawl for me. Before the change I was working my way through the bosses in the 80s and now pushing 60 is taking an age and a half. Continuing where I was in the 24 hour challenges is pretty much impossible now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Merrill Grinch posted:

NGU v.360: Hoo, the new augmentation stats have really slowed the game down to a crawl for me. Before the change I was working my way through the bosses in the 80s and now pushing 60 is taking an age and a half. Continuing where I was in the 24 hour challenges is pretty much impossible now.

What did you update from? 357( maybe 358) to 359 changed augs significantly. 360 was only a buff compared to 359 as far as I know.

How are you distributing your energy into augments and upgrades?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ungulateman posted:

To save you a little time: Lightning Strike is extremely good if you can get it to hit something that's getting a power boost from somewhere else. The 'standard' build is Fairy Chanting, using either Inns or Blacksmiths depending on what the predictor says you're going to hit more of.

Also take the elf upgrade that boosts clicking, it says 85% but it's actually a 17x multiplier because clicks are worth a baseline of 5% (so it's 5% -> 90%).
Unrelated, but worth mentioning: Druids have at least one upgrade that people tend to miss - every time you're using Grand Balance you 100% want Mabinogion. It's got a pretty uninformative description of "Buildings affected by Grand Balance receive an additional bonus based on their tier, giving the best bonus to the lowest." but the actual formula...

quote:

Formula: (1 + 2.5 * (12 - x))^y where x is the building tier and y is the Grand Balance tier.
...so even Blacksmith gets "only" 25x at tier 1.

It's one of those things I never would have figured out if someone else hadn't told me about it ages ago. Doesn't come up if you're using Lightning Strike + Fairy Chanting rather than Grand Balance + Fairy Chanting (which you probably should be for several dozen more reincarnations) but it's worth knowing.

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018
NGU: question for those that have been playing longer than I have. Right now I'm still trying to push for rebirthing every hour(ish) as I work on 1 capping my Attack/Defense skills. I can make it to boss #57 if I go for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, my current stats are:

Base Energy Speed 50
Base Energy Gained per bar: 9 (working towards 10)
Base Energy Cap: 200,000
Base Energy Power : 10

Attack Boost 100%
Defense Boost 100%

I'm assuming Adventure stats don't really count at this point

Magic Bar Speed: 5
Base Magic Gained Per Bar: 2
Base Magic Cap: 10,000
Base Magic Power: 1

I just finished the forest set in Adventure and am working towards finishing the cave set. Where would you drop EXP to advance faster, or do I just need to start doing longer runs? (final skills are capped at 3428 energy at this point).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Saiphae posted:

NGU: question for those that have been playing longer than I have. Right now I'm still trying to push for rebirthing every hour(ish) as I work on 1 capping my Attack/Defense skills. I can make it to boss #57 if I go for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, my current stats are:

Base Energy Speed 50
Base Energy Gained per bar: 9 (working towards 10)
Base Energy Cap: 200,000
Base Energy Power : 10

Attack Boost 100%
Defense Boost 100%

I'm assuming Adventure stats don't really count at this point

Magic Bar Speed: 5
Base Magic Gained Per Bar: 2
Base Magic Cap: 10,000
Base Magic Power: 1

I just finished the forest set in Adventure and am working towards finishing the cave set. Where would you drop EXP to advance faster, or do I just need to start doing longer runs? (final skills are capped at 3428 energy at this point).

I'd be doing more 15 minute or 30 minute runs if you have the time. If you don't just keep doing 60 minute runs. There's no more time multipliers after an hour. an 8 hour run only gets me 2-4 more boss kills over a 1 hour and I'm normally killing boss 115 or higher.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Saiphae posted:

Boss #58 opens the next zone and the gear is a significant upgrade. I'd probably leave advanced training split between atk/def overnight just so you can clear it a bit the next day and grab some gear.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

pixaal posted:

This is why the setting exists.

Okay that's fair enough. It says in the patch notes that this should get "all the normal rewards" which I took to include drops.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Saiphae posted:

Like pixaal said, you want to be doing faster runs. Don't worry about tanking your NUMBER, you can recover it fairly quickly after an overnight run. At that point in the game I found 30 minutes to be pretty comfortable. After doing a few runs you will eventually stabilize to where you're neither gaining or losing much NUMBER.

Really as long as you can still idle Caves it doesn't matter what boss you hit beyond that. Just concentrate on getting lots of EXP.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 22, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
You should at least buy one batch of 10k magic because it will double your magic! If you're going for hour long runs the boost to blood magic will be significant in pushing your number up and making 30 minute rebirths more viable.

But yeah you should, in fact, be doing shorter runs. Don't ever he afraid to lose number on rebirth for a 30 minute run. Even if you drop 5 bosses in progress you're still doing twice as many runs which works out to a lot more XP.

Absolutely get more energy cap, like keep hammering it until 500k at this point. Doubling your energy power will cost 1500 xp but doubling your cap will cost 800, and is the same thing or better (since power is weaker for advanced training and null for wandoos, though neither are super helpful at your current state). You will always see a stronger run as a result of more energy because you can level augments faster or get your time machine up which means a better augment multiplier.

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018

The Ninth Layer posted:

Like pixaal said, you want to be doing faster runs. Don't worry about tanking your NUMBER, you can recover it fairly quickly after an overnight run. At that point in the game I found 30 minutes to be pretty comfortable. After doing a few runs you will eventually stabilize to where you're neither gaining or losing much NUMBER.

Really as long as you can still idle Caves it doesn't matter what boss you hit beyond that. Just concentrate on getting lots of EXP.

My main purpose for trying for a higher boss was wanting to use the Ascended Forest Pendant, though that brings up another couple of questions. I'll put these behind spoilers for people not this far yet:

1> I haven't beaten boss 58 yet, which the Ascended Forest Pendant says it needs to have happen to gain it's full effects. Right now all of it's stats are 0/X (like 0/100 for Power) when I tried dropping a Special 1 boost on it, the boost was used, but it still says 0/200 for the special, I'm assuming this is because I haven't beaten boss 58 yet?

2> Do I have to beat boss 58 each time, or is it like the Magic bar which is unlocked once you get there once (though you have to beat a certain boss to unlock the blood magic screen)?

3> Right now the forest pendant says it's a level 0 item, is there any point in continuing to farm forest pendants to get more Ascended Forest Pendants to level it to 100, or would that just be pointless?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Saiphae posted:

My main purpose for trying for a higher boss was wanting to use the Ascended Forest Pendant, though that brings up another couple of questions. I'll put these behind spoilers for people not this far yet:

1> I haven't beaten boss 58 yet, which the Ascended Forest Pendant says it needs to have happen to gain it's full effects. Right now all of it's stats are 0/X (like 0/100 for Power) when I tried dropping a Special 1 boost on it, the boost was used, but it still says 0/200 for the special, I'm assuming this is because I haven't beaten boss 58 yet?

2> Do I have to beat boss 58 each time, or is it like the Magic bar which is unlocked once you get there once (though you have to beat a certain boss to unlock the blood magic screen)?

3> Right now the forest pendant says it's a level 0 item, is there any point in continuing to farm forest pendants to get more Ascended Forest Pendants to level it to 100, or would that just be pointless?

You get a percentage of the current boost value depending on how many bosses you've killed out of 58 on your current run. Boss 58 gives you 100% of the pendant's boosts, bosst 29 will give you 50%. So if you had put 50 special boosts into the pendant, and you're on boss 29, you'll make use out of 25 of that. (You will see that you have 25/whatever even though you really have 50.)

The Ascended Forest Pendant already has great stats that you would want to increase anyway (the difference between 200% and 400% bonus gold is massive), but to answer your question about whether it's worth leveling to 100, yes it's absolutely worth it if you can get the pendants together by farming Sky for them.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
NGU: I bought automerge but I'm still getting duplicate items in inventory - what am I missing?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

it only runs once an hour

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Maybe I'm a day or two late, but artifact set builds are up on the not-wiki for Realm Grinder.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

baram. posted:

it only runs once an hour

You also have to be wearing the items you want to auto merge.

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009
NGU: Suggestion for implementing the money pit tier list. Have Jake drop accounting books that unlock the tier list. Could have total gold thrown into the pit unlock various rewards (like a money pit filter). Also, since GRB's set completion bonus isn't that exciting add in that it unlocks the ability to cook the books. Cooking the books could be something like you get bumped up one tier in rewards or you can pick a specific reward but would have a cool down timer like iron pill. Hell, make it so if you cook the books too many times the IRS comes after you which unlocks a new adventure farming zone like The Sky.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
NGU: I just realized something that I assume spoils the ending: I reread the opening text intro. It literally tells you who stole your strength. That's an amazing joke.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
is there something to be said for picking up a few attack/defense upgrades early in NGU to make the early phase of challenges faster? Once you can cap skills as they're unlocked it seems like there's no other way to speed up the pre augment and pre-time machine phases of a run.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Kin posted:

I'm trying this challenge now and i swear that it's loving impossible with a normal working life.

I was on it resetting every half an hour last night before having to go bed and then gave it another 30 min run in the morning before going to work.

Other than waiting until the weekend where i can spend a solid number of hours just resetting every 30 mins until i hit 58, i'm not sure what to do.

I've found that if I leave the browser window open and send my computer to sleep, the game won't run (and therefore time won't pass). This helped with the 24 hr challenge for sure. You could also export your save before leaving for work, then load that when you get back.

Really, the game should have a pause button for this issue, as Trimps does.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Gully Foyle posted:

I've found that if I leave the browser window open and send my computer to sleep, the game won't run (and therefore time won't pass). This helped with the 24 hr challenge for sure. You could also export your save before leaving for work, then load that when you get back.

Really, the game should have a pause button for this issue, as Trimps does.

I started doing the save thing and I've lucked out with the aug changes (1st energy buster level takes 20 mins and gives me a x390625 bonus). Now when i come back from work there's usually a several million increase in my number waiting for me on respawn.

I started the challenge again this morning and think i'll get it done tonight.

I take it once i've done this my next step is to basically start the 24 hour challenge and repeat that until completion?

Is there any way to speed up the attack/defence training after you've brought it all down to 1 energy required for each one? If not, I was thinking that i should start dumping all the exp into energy power next so that i can take on boss 58 without having to wait until I've unlocked ultimate attack/buff.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No, you can't speed up attack/defense. The timing is such that you get the most benefit from that tab (and full speed) at just under 30 minutes, hence the recommendations for people to hit that mark when speedrunning for experience gains.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Speaking of Trimps, 4.7 just came out, featuring a new mechanic for beating Spire 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Aurora posted:

Speaking of Trimps, 4.7 just came out, featuring a new mechanic for beating Spire 2.

And a bunch of new achievements. I actually stand a shot of clearing Spire 5 at some point soon thanks to Fluffy -- already at level 6 and climbing steadily.