Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I thought it wasn't a direct rotary ban just that the engine regs specify that the engine must contain pistons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

track day bro! posted:

Outside of the LeMans win I'm pretty sure most of the time the Rotary group C cars got stomped by Porsche/Mercedes. The 91 win was one of attrition rather than the 787b being the quickest car.

The 787B was still using the low drag concept in ‘91. That helped at LeMans but it got blown out everywhere else.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Human Grand Prix posted:

The 787B was still using the low drag concept in ‘91. That helped at LeMans but it got blown out everywhere else.

It didn't help that much at Le Mans, it was 12 seconds slower than the frontrunners.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They had already announced they were killing C2 and going to 3.5l F1-ish engines (to the benefit of teams with access to F1 engines and no one else) the next year, prior to Mazda winning. poo poo, they were gonna cancel the whole 92 season until Peugeot threw a fit, and yall know how pliable the ACO/FIA get when its a frog complaining.

So yeah, the rotary was 'banned', but it was mostly so they could go to Formula-style regulations which were absolute trash in their own right, and less to do with anyone caring about the rotary.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 24, 2018

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don’t understand American racing fans and their constant jabs at the FIA. Yes, it’s retarded and the F1 regs only benefitted Jaguar and nobody else (which was a dumbass move) but the US was the home of two of the most incompetent sanctioning bodies I’ve ever seen.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The 3.5 era in F1 was pretty drat good in it’s own right. The Turbo Years were the best but 89-91 kick rear end

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don’t understand American racing fans and their constant jabs at the FIA.

Not really a mystery. Just what it's always been: American Exceptionalism attitude.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
People forget that the 787B got a weight dispensation from Let Mans and was running at a way lower weight than it should have been for its class. I love that car but it would've been nowhere near victory without that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They have imperial control of worldwide racing and consistently make the worst possible choice every single time, most of the time because they are incalculably corrupt and full of cronyism. Who cares about the actual on track entertainment product when we can take graft from some shithead billionaire or company???

Racing would be straight up better if they didn't exist at all, but because of said corruption and cronyism, they are written into the fuckin LAWS of some countries. Despite American racing trying to distance themselves from the rolling FIA disaster, it's still had a continual impact on US racing. That sucks. The FIA sucks and everyone should hate them imo.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Since when was hating the FIA an exclusively American thing?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The FIA is the most competent and benevolent organization on the planet compared to loving NASCAR.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The FIA is the most competent and benevolent organization on the planet compared to loving NASCAR.

You could make the case that USAC and CART were the worst racing organizations of all time.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The FIA has traditionally made impressively stupid decisions to push manufacturers away from literally everything else and towards F1 (see: F1 engine regs in '91 which had killed Group C by '93) because at the end of the day the FIA is loving stupid and seriously thinks that getting money from F1 is always gonna be better for them than having multiple streams of income.

The American GT and Open Wheel racing series have made so many mind numbingly stupid decisions between all four of the loving series jesus christ what the gently caress are you jabronis doing down there that it's not worth counting.

NASCAR makes a lot of dumb calls in the name of fan engagement and as a result of the terrible fans they have so I guess that's a thing.

The FIA is absolute hot garbage, and FOM and the ACO can absolutely go gently caress themselves but getting sanctimonious about how good IMSA, Indycar and NASCAR are ignores a rich history of all three being the "absolutely gently caress off now" guys of the motorsports world.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sanctioning and administration bodies are always the worst thing about every sport.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

Sanctioning and administration bodies are always the worst thing about every sport.

I would argue that the FIA is actually less stupid than most F1 teams.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don’t understand American racing fans and their constant jabs at the FIA. Yes, it’s retarded and the F1 regs only benefitted Jaguar and nobody else (which was a dumbass move) but the US was the home of two of the most incompetent sanctioning bodies I’ve ever seen.

Last I remember NASCAR, USAC, CART, Indycar, ARCA, IMSA, have never given a manufacturer a handout to keep them from quitting their series.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut President posted:

Last I remember NASCAR, USAC, CART, Indycar, ARCA, IMSA, have never given a manufacturer a handout to keep them from quitting their series.

You having loving USAC dude. Can you reach the keyboard from up on your high horse?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
And Ferrari is a special case, like it or not. No other manufacturer in any discipline of racing carries more weight.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 25, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

You having loving USAC dude. Can you reach the keyboard from up on your high horse?

On the other hand USAC birthed the series that is the Pirelli World Challenge, which from what I have seen is a Pretty Good Series, even if it's not a top racing series.

USAC sucks though, so eh.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Because the 3.5 regulations were a move by one Bernard Charles to twist manufacturers towards Formula 1 in favor of sports car racing. This isn’t just the opinion of grumbly Americans, but many in sports cars across the Atlantic as well. Bernie absolutely flew it off a cliff.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

Because the 3.5 regulations were a move by one Bernard Charles to twist manufacturers towards Formula 1 in favor of sports car racing. This isn’t just the opinion of grumbly Americans, but many in sports cars across the Atlantic as well. Bernie absolutely flew it off a cliff.

NASCAR is the sanctioning body that had to introduce a new race format to prevent themselves from spicing up race finishes by throwing fake yellow flags. The FIA implementing dumb regulations pales in comparison to what we do over here.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

And Ferrari is a special case, like it or not.
its insane to me that F1 fans actually believe this in 2018

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Human Grand Prix posted:

using the term "high horse" to defend an org that refuses to participate in the 12 Hours of Sebring because of all the white trash is pretty incredible.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

No one is defending the FIA or the ACO, to be clear.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Seeing Junior in South Korea at the Olympics made me want to see what kind of racing circuits they have in South Korea, besides the F1 track. There are three others, and they look pretty cool.

Everland Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1iYcwRy7k

Inje Speedium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_H0qJavyTY

Taebaek Racing Park (Kind of like a mini-oldFuji?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG6WFS35SQk

I wouldn't mind a day out at any one of them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Go to an F1 race, or watch one, or look at pictures from one, and you can see all the red, world over.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

I'm not defending the reg change, I myself thought it was ridiculous and stupid.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cygni posted:

I loving hate ferrari (fans), but there are a lot of them and they buy a staggering amount of merch and will travel all around to watch the Scuderia fail to win a championship.

We were almost free of them, then Schumacher decided to "win things by any means necessary".

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So V8 Virgin Australia Supercars is starting back up this weekend. Should be good.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anyone here camp for Sebring?

Thinking about doing it this year. Me, my car, tent, and basic supplies. All you do is set up in your parking spot, correct?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone here camp for Sebring?

Thinking about doing it this year. Me, my car, tent, and basic supplies. All you do is set up in your parking spot, correct?

I've done it a few times. It owns rear end. Just drive in, find a spot and claim it. This is the land where no laws apply. Words of wisdom: if you dont want to party till 3am, you probably don't want to be along the main road or next to anybody erecting huge towers or stages out of scaffolding. Youll see.

Also bring beer and food to trade with your neighbors. Breakfast is the meal with the worst at track concession options, and i never bring enough, so dont be me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Congratulations for WTCC WTCR for coming up with the worst logo for a racing series I've seen in my life.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Congratulations for WTCC WTCR for coming up with the worst logo for a racing series I've seen in my life.

https://youtu.be/8xpHS7_OpSk?t=39

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That may actually be even worse than the old F3000 logo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I also like how badly the TCR UK launch is going. In a shocking turn of events the UK did not need a second low-cost touring car series.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

was this part of a contest to see how many incongruous elements they could fit into one logo?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I also like how badly the TCR UK launch is going.

How badly is it going?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Better than the new F1 logo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

How badly is it going?

I haven't heard anything about teams signing up for it and planned test sessions have been cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today, in cool and good things: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/147705-new-lego-set-features-scuderia-corsa-ferrari-nielsen