Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Summer hockey would be dope.

make them play inline hockey, wanna see nothing but 4v4 and tons of room for passes and finesse and poo poo

sure no checking but who cares it's still hockey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Also lmao I had no idea about this:

https://www.ocregister.com/2011/09/01/book-recalls-roller-hockey-heyday/

quote:

Anaheim had the dominant team from the start. It won the first championship and played in four of the finals in the league’s six seasons. This was in part because of a crucial decision by Bullfrogs coach Chris McSorely: “(I)t would be easier to teach ice hockey players how to skate on inline skates than it would be to teach players with a non-check roller hockey background how to play his style of physical hockey.”

This decision did have one hilarious drawback, however: The former minor-league ice hockey pros on the Bulldogs didn’t know how to stop on inline roller skates. Indeed, most entertaining to me are Rich’s funny tales of this quirky start-up league. How the L.A. Blades, for example, discovered that spraying Pepsi on the concrete floor of the Forum created the optimum playing surface. Or how when McSorely learned a single European source made the perfect 72-milimeter urethane skate wheel, he bought all 5,000 in existence so no other RHI team could.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Good soup! posted:

make them play inline hockey, wanna see nothing but 4v4 and tons of room for passes and finesse and poo poo

sure no checking but who cares it's still hockey

Bring back Pro Beach Hockey.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Gary Bettman's a dipshit

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Gary Bettman's a dipshit

Bettman's little more than a talking head for the owners. I mean, I'm not arguing the point, I'm just saying they're all dipshits as well.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Oh wow one person on a message board contradicts years and years of the Olympics failing to increase attendance, ratings, or revenue

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Bring back Pro Beach Hockey.

those ramps were rad as hell

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

More like Erik BADbranson m i rite?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Hamilton Smog. Do it, no fun league.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh wow one person on a message board contradicts years and years of the Olympics failing to increase attendance, ratings, or revenue

Those very trustworthy and certainly not self-serving claims from the owners are probably true, yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All 3 of those statistics are publicly accessible.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And it was whilst killing a penalty as well. There was no one near and he had no reason to even be near the goal. Meanwhile Ben Hutton is still sitting in he press box.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

glynnenstein posted:

Those very trustworthy and certainly not self-serving claims from the owners are probably true, yes.

Owners don't invent TV ratings or attendance numbers, neither of which have ever gone up as a result of the Olympics

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

fire hakstol

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
If Pittsburgh wins the division, and philly and Washington play each other in the first round, doesn’t that make a good chance for the caps and pens to play in the second round? Poor caps fans lmao

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Owners don't invent TV ratings or attendance numbers, neither of which have ever gone up as a result of the Olympics

Where's the data on the NHL being complete crap at marketing the game or its players? You know the data which shows how efficient NHL culture is at quashing any semblance of personality in its most electrifying players, or its ability to somehow make the public sick of two generational talents by force-feeding us all Crosby vs Ovechkin ad nauseam? Also dumb poo poo like offside reviews gently caress.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The NBA "force fed" us Michael Jordan and it made him the biggest athlete in the world, the Crosby and Ovechkin whining is the dumbest poo poo ever

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Michael Jordan has a personality. It's being a massive nazi rear end in a top hat, but it's a personality.

Xtanstic posted:

Where's the data on the NHL being complete crap at marketing the game or its players? You know the data which shows how efficient NHL culture is at quashing any semblance of personality in its most electrifying players, or its ability to somehow make the public sick of two generational talents by force-feeding us all Crosby vs Ovechkin ad nauseam? Also dumb poo poo like offside reviews gently caress.

None of those things are quantifiable so there wouldn't be any data on them. I'm very embarrassed for you right now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wish Jordan played in the social media era

He is quite possibly the biggest rear end in a top hat of all time

e: The 2010 Olympics got me into hockey and then I bandwagon'd onto the Flyers run

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In 4th grade Sidney Crosby auditioned to play a tree in his school play.

They didn't think he was lively enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Michael Jordan tips $5, Wayne Gretzky tips $100.

Ergo, hockey is better than basketball.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Anecdotally but I know two people that got into hockey after Vancouver. Both became Pens fans :cry:

No one I knew that wasn’t already a massive hockey fan watched Sochi. Casuals aren’t going to wake up in the middle of the night for a sport they don’t care about.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Typical Goon posted:

Anecdotally but I know two people that got into hockey after Vancouver. Both became Pens fans :cry:

No one I knew that wasn’t already a massive hockey fan watched Sochi. Casuals aren’t going to wake up in the middle of the night for a sport they don’t care about.

The game against the US was the middle of the day. The bars were loving jammed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least one of you works game production for a team right?

On a goal tonight NESN's score bug said "Marchand (24(" with the wrong bracket on the end there. Do they seriously manually type that stuff?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Yes. Remember the famous NFL GENERIC - - AAAAAGGG screenshot?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The Leafs - Bruins series is going to be bonkers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Someone spotted a false at MSG last night

https://twitter.com/___OJ___/status/967595556582445056

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stretch Marx posted:

The Leafs - Bruins series is going to be bonkers.

Leafs are playing Tampa round 1, sorry.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Aphrodite posted:

Leafs are playing Tampa round 1, sorry.

Let's be serious here. Tampa isn't falling to WC2 that's just silly.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/967597241090363392

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

May favorite is kootchie’s reaction to watching the save on the Jumbotron:

https://twitter.com/nhlgifs/status/967596813690818560

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

he was good.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drat, raanta is .937 in february

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
taylor hall has played 21 games in 2018, and has a point in every one

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

corn on the cop posted:

Yeah well Adam Larsson has 3 points in 13 games this year soooo

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

corn on the cop posted:

sounds like mvp potential. I always liked hall on the oilers, dude just seemed injured often. dunno if it's because of his style of play or just bad luck.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
he's just on another planet right now. must be creating a half-dozen scoring opportunities every night.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I remember when Hall was traded and he felt slighted a bit and was hurt and now he must be so loving happy considering. And evidently it shows.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DuhSal posted:

I remember when Hall was traded and he felt slighted a bit and was hurt and now he must be so loving happy considering. And evidently it shows.

Never underestimate the motivation of “you don’t want me? Well gently caress you, I’ll show you why you are wrong.”

Schenn going from Philadelphia to St. Louis is similar in that regard. Also, the entire Las Vegas Golden Knights roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oilers are going to back into the lottery win aren't they

• Locked thread