Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Got it, I'll set things up and play through the game again later and work off that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If it's something that's going to be super short, it might be a good candidate for one of the megathreads, like the Casual LP Thread.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Or keep it as its own thread if you want, there's no rule against posting a three update thread.

Go woth your heart.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

discworld is all I read posted:

So was a bit curious overall what your recording setup was like cause something seems a bit off with your actual game audio. Just for comparison sake I did a bit of talking over a small snippet of footage I recorded for you to tell the difference hopefully: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rAtvq1vZw

And as far as I could tell that issue was there even before you did the noise removal.

tbqh I'm using my webcam mike. My external mike didn't sound as nice, but I could give it another go.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
That's weird; why don't you just record the PC audio from the PC?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Does this look good? This time I just directly took snapshots with Irfanview while I played, instead of recording it with OBS and taking screenshots of the video.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

The Colonel posted:

Does this look good? This time I just directly took snapshots with Irfanview while I played, instead of recording it with OBS and taking screenshots of the video.

Yeah. That's how it should be. Though don't timg, use img, the timg is ever so slightly loving your image quality.

Image you posted:

How it looks on SA with timg:

Also, you can do the snapshot thing, you just have to be sure to record in lossless (lagarith) codec (though filesizes will be bigger for the recordings).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Does this look good?

Yeah, that looks great.

Jewel posted:

Yeah. That's how it should be. Though don't timg, use img, the timg is ever so slightly loving your image quality.

That's odd, it displays fine for me.

I'm guessing the issue's probably more that SA automatically limits image size to the width of the post field these days. So we don't get the problem with broken tables any more, but if you're browsing in a small window or something, you may get blurry images instead.

(Though, it's still true that you shouldn't use timg for lps because no one wants to have to click every image to expand it.)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
New one looks good to me as well!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

vilkacis posted:

(Though, it's still true that you shouldn't use timg for lps because no one wants to have to click every image to expand it.)

Thank you for understanding

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
What's the best way to LP a children's book about minecraft? I have some ideas but Crow tells me they are all highly illegal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
video LP imo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Putty posted:

What's the best way to LP a children's book about minecraft? I have some ideas but Crow tells me they are all highly illegal.

Stream and then edit into clips

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Putty posted:

Interpretive dance.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Putty posted:

Adapting the story as a play to be acted out in the actual game. Host a server and get different goons to play different roles.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

Interpretive dance.

And slam poetry.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Put “no copyrihgt intended” in the description of the video.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

klafbang posted:

Put “no copyrihgt intended” in the description of the video.

I always love this in online videos, they have this big screen of "Article blah blah fair use" that only lasts for a second. Do they think it works?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm just noticing now, but did they stop archiving threads again?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
baldurk runs the archive, and they tend to go long periods of inactivity and then archive a whole bunch all at once. But IIRC they did a set in the last month.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
No no, I didn't mean that. I meant that the threads themselves were not falling into the archived state.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Now that I check, I have a thread still open with the last post in early december. It's supposed to be two months before falling into archives for LP, right?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
crow, Fedule, they're asking questions. what do i do--what do i do?!?!?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Just blame Radium and shrug, no one will know the difference.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Artix posted:

Just blame Radium and shrug, no one will know the difference.

Basically.

The Forums Archive happens based on a Radium Script. We know what it's supposed to do. It just gets a bit screwy from time to time.

In theory it's two months before your thread is out of reach to all but arcane db magic.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Right now, it looks like the last archived thread had its last post happen on November 19th. No idea if it the limit accidentally got extended, or if archiving broke yet again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Probably the latter. Last time it lasted months before someone finally told zen death robot and it got fixed.

Still if you have any old LPs you want to bump, now's probably the time to do it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

crow, Fedule, they're asking questions. what do i do--what do i do?!?!?

Burn down the forum, collect the insurance money, blame slowbeef.

Fedule posted:

The Forums Archive happens based on a Radium Script. We know what it's supposed to do. It just gets a bit screwy from time to time.

In theory it's two months before your thread is out of reach to all but arcane db magic.

I think ZDR may have tinkered with the time limit before archival, but I will repost this here, because I added it to the Rules Thread a month ago (but nobody reads the Rules Thread :negative) on the subject of the Archive Lock:

Fedule posted:

And lastly, if you do end up posting something, :siren::siren:beware the Archive Lock:siren::siren:. Threads in LP that have not had a new post in two months will fall into Archive Lock status. If a thread is Archive Locked it can only be reopened again by arcane sysadmin magic. Keep this in mind if you're going to be putting an LP on an extended hiatus. If your thread has been locked, but is still live on the main forums and you would like it reopened, PM one of us Mods or zen death robot and we will look into getting it reopened.

Stuff that has been moved to the actual Archives server, the one you need to pay :10bux: to access, however, is gone for good and cannot be resurrected.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If you want something from Archives though, the real question to ask there is "why?" That's stuff from early 2014 on back. Archiving proper has been broken for years. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

If you want something from Archives though, the real question to ask there is "why?" That's stuff from early 2014 on back. Archiving proper has been broken for years. :v:

Hey, maybe someone started an LP, went to university and put it on hiatus, and now they've graduated and are looking to get back at it because lol jobmarket

Mega64
May 23, 2008

LPs started gaining momentum in 2008.

Makes you think.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey, maybe someone started an LP, went to university and put it on hiatus, and now they've graduated and are looking to get back at it because lol jobmarket

Reminder that there absolutely was not a four-year hiatus in my Just Cause 2 LP.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
I recently modded my 3DS so that I can capture video, in anticipation of doing an LP of The Alliance Alive, which I am far too excited about than any grown man should be. I recently picked up the demo and put myself to the test. Some of the kinks are working out; for example, it turns out that the reason some sound was missing was because it doesn't matter how well the audio chord is plugged into the 3DS if it isn't also plugged all the way into the PC.

Where I'm really struggling is the best way to PRESENT the video. Capturing shows that the bottom screen is not necessary about 75% of the time, but that other 25% can't be ignored, which means I need a solution that either captures both screens independently, OR I need to capture video and then take that video and split the screens (which seems like a headache as far as video quality is concerned.)

For what it's worth, I'm currently using Snickerdoodle to stream from the 3DS to PC, and then OBS Studio to capture from the gameplay window itself (since Studio removed the ability to capture from specific parts of the monitor for some strange reason.) I use AVS Video Editor which is certainly a nontraditional choice, so I imagine I won't get any suggestions there, although if you have them by all means.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Raw video can be found here, with blowing it up full screen happening about halfway through.

Have a month to get this "right." For me it doesn't even have to be "Youtube Professional" quality, I'd simply settle for "watchable."

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 1, 2018

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The way I'd handle that is to record both screens at once, then in editing, make two separate clips: one is the top screen and the second is the bottom. It's not a big loss of video quality as you might think, so long as you're recording the videos at a large enough resolution, but you're going to end up with some pretty hefty raws, just as a forewarning. In addition, 3DS video capture still probably doesn't look great if it's coming from NTR recording, so you'll have to accept the somewhat unstable and kinda grainy video.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, so, the presentation is going to depend on how important the bottom screen is for the 25% of the time. Will the focus of the viewer be on the bottom screen when it is important, or is it a mixture? Or is the bottom screen just additional information that is good to have and shouldn't be ignored?

Basically, what I'm thinking of is something I saw Vinny from Vinesauce do with Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, a DS game which fits the mold of "the second screen isn't important, but should still be there". The result is this:

The screen where the main action is gets blown up and put center stage, and the secondary screen gets relegated over to the side. I really liked this presentation - it's simple, yet it works.

I *think* you can pull this off in OBS by using multiple sources and crop filters, but I'm really not too big on the VLP side to know the details of the implementation. If you were doing a SSLP, it'd be a different story.

If the second screen is the focus of attention when it's relevant, then things might get trickier. Again, though, I might not be the best source of information for best practices on VLPs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can totally do that in OBS. You'd need to make multiple sources point at your 3DS capture window and have their display areas cropped to different screen regions, but it's definitely doable just in OBS.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

So, I've been without the real PC for a few months now and am trying to scratch the LP itch with something that may or may not run acceptably on this 1.9GHZ surface pro 3.
Test footage: https://youtu.be/DBiEHrrY1OY
It gets notably chunky around the final third in that relatively large level (7:48 or so). Of all (two) things tested, the built-in xbox DVR from windows 10 seems to be the most resource efficient (compared to OBS, using either x264 or QuickSync). On second glance they seem about the same, so idk if there's much of anything better that can be done in that regard. The CPU spins up to a high fan speed after a few sustained minutes of recording, mostly coinciding with the biggest dip in performance, maybe due to thermal throttling. RetroArch itself barely uses 20% of the integrated GPU and little CPU, so that's nice.
Voice recording is through Audacity (if using this xbox app) which seems basically negligible. Also, the screens would be laid out in a more manageable manner in post-production (whereas OBS can do this at runtime).
All in all, does this seem like some kind of passable video product? I'm inclined to believe that the audio stuttering is a bit too much for anyone to be expected to tolerate ):
I think I'm going to try out OBS again. The game seemed to run quite well for this, but the later video footage revealed some slacking on the DVR's end.
Update: OBS footage: https://youtu.be/L2bJ5B4ehEE (featuring terribly sound-balanced, unenthusiastic commentary that would be tuned up in post production)
I turned up the frameskip to 2 (!!) for the final few minutes and that seems to have helped slightly with making performance more bearable at the cost of an even lower average frame rate.
Oh goodness it's even worse on OBS, starting at about 6:30. perhaps due to the "game mode"in the xbox DD prioritizing the DS emulation, ironically enough. Disabling that, but there's seemingly just no winning here.

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 2, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I have a tiny bit of experience recording from a DS emulator on a weaker machine, and the recording feature built into RetroArch might be the best option. At least on Desmume, which is what I personally tested, it'll ignore frame stuttering and performance issues not caused by lag in the game itself. It also shouldn't capture the mouse cursor, which will be a boon when playing a game like Canvas Curse. You'll probably need to add commentary in post, due to it de-syncing with the on-screen action if you run live commentary, but the actual video should be much more watchable that way.

The big drawback is that it's not space-efficient at all; the AVI file I produced was barely more than a minute and a half long and still more than 1.5 GB.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

So I'm probably gonna start an Earthbound thread soon, but before I do a thread writeup for it I just wanted to ask a couple questions. The obvious one is, how's the sound? Are we too loud? I always second guess myself with how to level our audio: https://youtu.be/Z61Xdt0vPXw

My main question though is that we're playing it on a snes classic, and we were surprised to learn that Nintendo puts a blur effect in a bunch of their ports of old games for people who have seizures, so it's on pretty much every psi attack and lots of regular hits in the game. I guess I'm just wondering if it's annoying to anyone? I think it's kind of annoying but my friend doesn't think so, and now I feel kinda bad that I want to play a version that probably gave people seizures, but I dunno. If people think it's annoying then I'd rather upload what we have and then pick it up again on a different system, but if people are cool with it then sweet, we're already all set up with it. Anyway if you've never seen it before it happens at about 17:48 in this video when frankystein smacks you: https://youtu.be/LoLP_eNeoaU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

I have a tiny bit of experience recording from a DS emulator on a weaker machine, and the recording feature built into RetroArch might be the best option. At least on Desmume, which is what I personally tested, it'll ignore frame stuttering and performance issues not caused by lag in the game itself. It also shouldn't capture the mouse cursor, which will be a boon when playing a game like Canvas Curse. You'll probably need to add commentary in post, due to it de-syncing with the on-screen action if you run live commentary, but the actual video should be much more watchable that way.

The big drawback is that it's not space-efficient at all; the AVI file I produced was barely more than a minute and a half long and still more than 1.5 GB.

This is exactly what I wanted to see. I don't know how I missed out on the fact that there's a whole FFMpeg dealio integrated into retroarch. This tablet has a relatively adequate ~80GB to go on the SSD.. Thanks so much!
A test of 3.5 minutes only took ~70MB, probably helped by the fact that the native resolution of the DS (which the output is at) is a mere 256 pixels across. And best of all, NO harmful effect on performance. This is really amazing.

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 2, 2018