Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pattonesque posted:

Linebacker can't carry too many weapons but it CAN do a bunch of small energy (like 6 MPL) or 5 SRM6As and it is both tough and shockingly quick. I like it a lot and if you like to GET STUCK IN and BRAWL you will too!

you can also do standard laservomit with it (like 2 HLL and 2 ERML?) or two ERPPCs!

TjyvTompa posted:

The standard LBK builds are 2xERPPC or 6xSRM6. The 6xMPL build needs the loyalty one I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEnO6BFdEBU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Not saying that the build is bad, but TheB33f will do good in any build. Remember that overheat-headshot Nova video he did and then the solo queue was 25% Novas for a week until everyone realized that the build worked because it was TheB33f piloting it, not because it was especially good.
Or the stealth armor Atlas build he did. Try to do that yourself.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Flamer headshot Nova worked just fine for me, especially in scouting, even after the video had been out for a while. People might have gotten wiser now, perhaps.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Artificer posted:

Flamer headshot Nova worked just fine for me, especially in scouting, even after the video had been out for a while. People might have gotten wiser now, perhaps.

Maybe you are just good at the game? My point was not that TheB33f is better than everyone else, just that he is really good and using him as "proof" that builds are good is like when I say a build is good and then grind for 2 hours to get 1 good game I can screenshot and show everyone that yes, it is very good.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TjyvTompa posted:

Maybe you are just good at the game? My point was not that TheB33f is better than everyone else, just that he is really good and using him as "proof" that builds are good is like when I say a build is good and then grind for 2 hours to get 1 good game I can screenshot and show everyone that yes, it is very good.

I posted it as another option to the common builds, I don't know why your being so touchy :shrug:. I think you should also refer to a post I made earlier

The Repo Man posted:

(Yes, I'm aware that a screenshot isn't indicative of a mech being super awesome, I'm just proud of the match even if it was a loss.)

If you want me too I can just remove the video, if that's your whole issue?

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 23, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

The Repo Man posted:

I posted it as another option to the common builds, I don't know why your being so touchy :shrug:. I think you should also refer to a post I made earlier

If you want me too I can just remove the video, if that's your whole issue?

You misunderstood me completely, I have no issue with what you posted. The video gives a good view of the build and how it works, just saying that do not expect to do good with it just because TheB33f is doing good.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TjyvTompa posted:

You misunderstood me completely, I have no issue with what you posted. The video gives a good view of the build and how it works, just saying that do not expect to do good with it just because TheB33f is doing good.

Okay. I get that entirely. I agree with what you posted about capturing video (or screenshot) to say a particular build is good/the best. I just wanted to provide something other than the standard options since I think having non-standard builds/non-meta builds is usually far more interesting and fun, and can force a player to think a bit harder about how to approach a situation. I have tons of videos of my weird builds that usually end between "god awful" and "loving astounding," and cherry picking the best those rounds wouldn't represent a good idea of what usually happens in a particular build. Posting this:

and proselytizing my AH build as the be all end all for scouting wouldn't be right since it's just one round (also it's a really old image. Get a Bushwhacker for scouting!). The example of TheB33f's AS7-D-DC is a really good example of having to slog through a lot of matches to get a good video. I should have mentioned that I run TheB33f linebacker build, and it's insanely hot* but can put in a lot of work for the pilot if they have good heat management, map sense, and map flow.

*On Tourmaline Desert, before any skills are added, while moving you will hit 98% heat on one alpha.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

The Repo Man posted:

I think having non-standard builds/non-meta builds is usually far more interesting and fun, and can force a player to think a bit harder about how to approach a situation.

I can agree with this part. Most of the meta builds are super loving boring. At least, when you're doing something fun and new you get to be a player instead of a consumer, in spite of PGI.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

How Disgusting posted:

I can agree with this part. Most of the meta builds are super loving boring. At least, when you're doing something fun and new you get to be a player instead of a consumer, in spite of PGI.

You can swear here. gently caress poo poo drat. It's just a weird wordfilter that is active for non-registered users, no idea why, always been like that.
Heavy large lasers are like the definition of meta right now, if you want something non-meta you should try brawling, not really meta but still powerful if used correctly. 6xSRM6 works really well on the LBK for this purpose.

Btw join the discord, that's where we all play. I'll hook you up with an invite once I get home from work unless someone already fixed it for you.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Thanks, I'm already in discord, as Stranger Here Myself. Can't vouch for my piloting skills, but I've managed to repeatedly troll and nag a pgi employee in the three days I was here.

How Disgusting fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 23, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

How Disgusting posted:

Thanks, I'm already in discord, as Stranger Here Myself.

Nice, sorry I've been too busy with Kingdom Come lately but I'm gonna play tonight (CET), I'll fix it then.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

How Disgusting posted:

Thanks, I'm already in discord, as Stranger Here Myself. Can't vouch for my piloting skills, but I've managed to repeatedly troll and nag a pgi employee in the three days I was here.

It's been a long time since I've been able to play with goons, but if tradition has held strong they won't give a drat about your piloting skills or trash builds. Just don't be a dick. Unless you're Skoll. Then if you aren't being a dick we would worry about you.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
That's all great to hear. Looking forward to seeing you all in game.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Guess what....

We're back!

LIAO FOREVER or until PGI runs another event where there are rewards for being in another faction

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

How Disgusting posted:

There is no trolling 19. You vastly overestimate the quantity of fucks he gives. He's dealt with all of us for years.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Guess what....

We're back!

LIAO FOREVER or until PGI runs another event where there are rewards for being in another faction

hate to ask but could I get another wol invite? the last one expired while I was deserting house marik. ign is hubcaps.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rysithusiku posted:

There is no trolling 19. You vastly overestimate the quantity of fucks he gives. He's dealt with all of us for years.

Plus 19 is super cool. He even has the "Bad Company" title set in game.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

free hubcaps posted:

hate to ask but could I get another wol invite? the last one expired while I was deserting house marik. ign is hubcaps.

For sure, I'll send it momentarily.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TjyvTompa posted:

You can swear here. gently caress poo poo drat. It's just a weird wordfilter that is active for non-registered users, no idea why, always been like that.
Heavy large lasers are like the definition of meta right now, if you want something non-meta you should try brawling, not really meta but still powerful if used correctly. 6xSRM6 works really well on the LBK for this purpose.

Btw join the discord, that's where we all play. I'll hook you up with an invite once I get home from work unless someone already fixed it for you.

The wordfilter is so that google doesn't downrank the site for adult content, if that happens it restricts the ads that will show, reducing revenue for Lowtax.

I think what people don't realize is that TheB33f is very good at predicting how a mech will play and what play style to use for it just from seeing the build, and combine that with his experience with maps and the general flow of play, and he will usually be able to get the most out of a mech very quickly, where other people won't adapt and end up struggling a lot. He's editing his videos down a bunch too, and that can also give people a false impression.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
So, the Firestarter H looks good, is it?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
No

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Unless they re-scale Firestarters, you should avoid them. They are as big as medium mechs, only without the armor.

I took my FS9-A out for a spin just to see if I could make it work. Yeah, I actually did really good in it, but my god is it just the biggest most fragile thing on the battlefield. It's so incredibly bad. 30 armor on the side torsos in an XL engine is just terrifying. Please, don't buy Firestarters until they get some kind of quirk pass, or unless you are seasoned enough to know map flow and all that razzamatazz.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 24, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
What's the general feeling about ATMs? I feel like they fit into my playstyle and would give me something to do while closing to brawl range and remaining effective once there, as long as I can keep a certain distance. What is the major tradeoff for the benefits? Weight? Low ammo?

I feel like a linebacker with 2 ATM12s and some brawlin lasers would be fun, but that may be tonnage tight/hot.

Also gunna repost this again just to see if anyone has any feedback.

Marathanes posted:

What's the preferred ACH these days? I always loved the 6 spl, but that seemed to go on the wayside when the MG arms came out.

Been running 6spls and 2spls/6mgs and both seem fine, if not as great as the ACH used to be.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Marathanes posted:

What's the general feeling about ATMs? I feel like they fit into my playstyle and would give me something to do while closing to brawl range and remaining effective once there, as long as I can keep a certain distance. What is the major tradeoff for the benefits? Weight? Low ammo?

I feel like a linebacker with 2 ATM12s and some brawlin lasers would be fun, but that may be tonnage tight/hot.

Also gunna repost this again just to see if anyone has any feedback.

they do a lot of damage at midrange but they suffer from the LRM problems of requiring you to stare, spreading damage, needing locks to be used effectively, and being countered by just stepping behind cover. they also get turbofucked by AMS just because there's so few missiles compared to LRMs

that being said you can do quite a bit of damage with them and if you catch a light in the 3-damage zone with a big salvo it can really ruin their day

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Question about atms, actually. with range bonuses, does that push out the effective range/zone longer?

I like them. If you like doing midrange lrming supporting a push(like you should be) or ever wished streaks had longer range, then you'll probably like them.

Atms have less salvo size, and less of an arching curve to their arc - i think its somewhere between lrms and streaks, but still feels like it's just a tiny inconvenience when there's cover in the way. Their strong point is ammo efficiency actually, and the downside is the hastle watching your range bands. Best with jumpjets for clearing random obstacles/hills, I feel.

They spread damage a bit, but the 3 per missile inside 270 is ridiculously powerful. My fun dick-around mech is a shadowcat B with 2 9's, and its a deceptively strong 54 damage dunk every time you pull the trigger - as long as you can find a target inside the zone, but outside of your minimum - which the shadow cat usually can. Fairly worthless if people are in your face though.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Marathanes posted:

ATMs do MASSIVE DAMAGE when in optimal range (120-250m or so) and have half as many missiles per ton as LRMs. The launchers run heavier and hotter than LRMs. Unlike LRMs, they do zero damage within the minimum range though, so if your goal is to brawl with them, SRMs would give you more mileage. However, if you are able to maintain that optimal range bracket, you can handedly out perform all the other missile systems. Pairing ATMs with some amount of ER or heavy mediums would do nicely so long as you have the mobility and situational awareness to keep range. Intelligent opponents will rush you and take a lot of your damage out of the fight, you gotta be able to prevent that or have enough backups to deter that.

Alternatively, you can do some stuff with ATM poptarting, etc. Gets a little more advanced though. Things to note: TAG is a big help, both for speeding up the locks, piercing ECM, and extending your lock time to get some SICK CURVE SHOTS around corners and poo poo. Artemis will also speed up lock on time same as it would for streaks. Given your range, you really only need a light TAG. Another thing to note, Range quirks and nodes will also extend the range brackets, so your optimal range bracket gets larger, though minimum will always be 120.

I run a mad dog -H with 3 HMLs, light tag, and 2 ATM12s. Easily do 900+ damage, but you still are something of a support mech. You can melt lights very easily but you still lack the pinpoint damage of direct fire weapons, so be careful to not get caught alone. You'll strip armor like a champ.

In my opinion, right now I don't really see a reason for clans to take LRMs over ATMs. To not be a hindrance to your team, you want to be up on the line sharing armor and getting your own locks, ATMs do that just fine but with 3x as much damage.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Crazyeyes24 posted:

ATMs do MASSIVE DAMAGE when in optimal range (120-250m or so) and have half as many missiles per ton as LRMs. The launchers run heavier and hotter than LRMs. Unlike LRMs, they do zero damage within the minimum range though, so if your goal is to brawl with them, SRMs would give you more mileage. However, if you are able to maintain that optimal range bracket, you can handedly out perform all the other missile systems. Pairing ATMs with some amount of ER or heavy mediums would do nicely so long as you have the mobility and situational awareness to keep range. Intelligent opponents will rush you and take a lot of your damage out of the fight, you gotta be able to prevent that or have enough backups to deter that.

Alternatively, you can do some stuff with ATM poptarting, etc. Gets a little more advanced though. Things to note: TAG is a big help, both for speeding up the locks, piercing ECM, and extending your lock time to get some SICK CURVE SHOTS around corners and poo poo. Artemis will also speed up lock on time same as it would for streaks. Given your range, you really only need a light TAG. Another thing to note, Range quirks and nodes will also extend the range brackets, so your optimal range bracket gets larger, though minimum will always be 120.

I run a mad dog -H with 3 HMLs, light tag, and 2 ATM12s. Easily do 900+ damage, but you still are something of a support mech. You can melt lights very easily but you still lack the pinpoint damage of direct fire weapons, so be careful to not get caught alone. You'll strip armor like a champ.

In my opinion, right now I don't really see a reason for clans to take LRMs over ATMs. To not be a hindrance to your team, you want to be up on the line sharing armor and getting your own locks, ATMs do that just fine but with 3x as much damage.

Let's not forget ATMs also tend to track low and blast legs more than upper body sections, which is why they can decimate lights.

They also give a false sense of firepower because like LRMs, they spread damage all over and make killing a single (large) mech harder than focusing fire with lasers or auto cannons.

Never ever use ATMs at long range, their ammo to damage ratio is utter poo poo at 300m or farther and their arc makes them useless for hitting anyone at range.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 24, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slayerjerman posted:

Never ever use ATMs at long range, their ammo to damage ratio is utter poo poo at 300m or farther and their arc makes them useless for hitting anyone at range.

The midrange at 2 per missile - I think its out to like 540 or so, someone else would have to check the numbers - they're comparable to the regular lrm alternative. 6 vs lrm5, (12 vs 10, 18/15, 24/20).

Basically if you're not being a back of the line 900m lrm making GBS threads jackass, they're pretty superior - aside from the curve/arc issues.

I suppose the only downside is that you can't de-equip the artemis, so some lrms might be lighter in comparison, and I think this means they're more vulnerable to ams because there's less missiles in a volley.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Thoughts on the Warhammer 6R? I was thinking something like this.

Not sure if I get more bang for the buck with 4x ERMLs or 2x ERLLs, though it may get extra toasty. Like so.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Thoughts on the Warhammer 6R? I was thinking something like this.

Not sure if I get more bang for the buck with 4x ERMLs or 2x ERLLs, though it may get extra toasty. Like so.
Thoughts? Underpowered.
Here you go, a real mans mech: WHM-6R

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
So wtf does stealth armor actually do? I put it on my PB, and people do seem to have a harder time hitting me when its active, but like, I guess I've never noticed anyone else using it? It seems to be worth the heat penalty but I wish I knew what it actually did in a more nuts and bolts sense than just the in game description "allows your mech to toggle stealth mode."

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Marathanes posted:

So wtf does stealth armor actually do? I put it on my PB, and people do seem to have a harder time hitting me when its active, but like, I guess I've never noticed anyone else using it? It seems to be worth the heat penalty but I wish I knew what it actually did in a more nuts and bolts sense than just the in game description "allows your mech to toggle stealth mode."

You can't be targeted when stealth mode is active.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Marathanes posted:

You can't be targeted at all while it's active, and don't show up on thermal vision. You can be targeted if you're hit with a NARC though.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Oh. That's actually pretty good. Makes the Pirate's Bane even more annoying.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
It's handy but don't fight with it on since it basically generates an engine's worth of heat.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
When active stealth armor causes you to (almost) entirely stop bleeding heat, so you have to manage on what heat containment you have. However, while active you cannot be targeted and you do not glow on thermals. Your own targeting is also extremely range restricted and you can't share targeting data to others.

e: being untargetable is also fantastic against all terrible players who won't shoot anything without a red triangle. I call it the Pubbie Shield.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh269Va6ln0

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The Repo Man posted:

Unless they re-scale Firestarters, you should avoid them. They are as big as medium mechs, only without the armor.

I took my FS9-A out for a spin just to see if I could make it work. Yeah, I actually did really good in it, but my god is it just the biggest most fragile thing on the battlefield. It's so incredibly bad. 30 armor on the side torsos in an XL engine is just terrifying. Please, don't buy Firestarters until they get some kind of quirk pass, or unless you are seasoned enough to know map flow and all that razzamatazz.

They used to be super good because they were like 20% smaller, then they made them larger than some of the smaller medium mechs (Assassin and ice ferret, looking at you here) so it's a giant loving metal baby that gets splatted incredibly easily.

Until they either make it smaller again, or give it some armour quirks to make up for it's size, the wolfhound is just better.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
I can't wrap my head around what the pig was thinking during the rescale. Especially with some of the older assets like the jenner, both the model and the texture look obviously resized, as if they were taken from a different game and implemented without much thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I had to uninstall.

I made it to #1 on the medium leaderboard :rolleyes: using Hellspawns :emo: and Cicadas :ssh: but some players started carrying beef from one solo queue game to another and I had a moment of clarity and realized I don't want to socialize with these people. The game is great but some people need to rotate out.

Also gently caress European sadfolks who whine incessantly if an inconsequential light or two get caught out within the first minute. It's cool dude- that energy Piranha or SRM2 Locust wouldn't have done much anyway. If you tell them "shut up bitch it's still a game because I'm still alive" they want to argue the point. They are a shattered people whose hopelessness must be contained before it infects the rest of the world.

Bobcats fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 26, 2018