Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Galaxy Brain posted:

What the show's dialogue says and what the show itself says are two very different stories. And I have no idea why you would drag that incredibly ugly, hateful opinion about a real human being who suffered real pain into this nice chat about TV shows.

He mourned his wife wrong!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
The fake man grieved really good while the actual widowed person with a small child grieved real bad and wrong. Could have used more suttee though but hey nothings perfect.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

The fake man grieved really good while the actual widowed person with a small child grieved real bad and wrong. Could have used more suttee though but hey nothings perfect.

2D grief is far superior to 3D grief.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nutsngum posted:

Ive only really seen snippets of that show. In what way is this shown? Like "you better not look at any other man/woman etc."?

Marshall freaks the gently caress out when Lilly wants to explore her options and actually use the degree she went to college for instead of being stuck in a dead end job so he breaks up with her and then seasons later when presented with the same choice he hides it from her and she pretty much has to leverage a new child into making him not take the new job and it’s gross they’re both gross codependent people

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Calaveron posted:

Marshall freaks the gently caress out when Lilly wants to explore her options and actually use the degree she went to college for instead of being stuck in a dead end job so he breaks up with her and then seasons later when presented with the same choice he hides it from her and she pretty much has to leverage a new child into making him not take the new job and it’s gross they’re both gross codependent people

I think you mean that they're IN LYOOOOOVEEE

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
I just finished watching HIMYM and Ted is the worst character on the show. I wish Bob Saget had played him in the final episode, at least...

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Similar example is a short lived show called Up All Night. The idea was Will Arnett and Christina Applegate as new parents (hence, up all night) but also she (or maybe both?) was involved in a TV show starring Maya Rudolph and that was funny and a source of laughs, and there was an assistant character named Missy who was quite funny. But for the second year they decided they'd drifted from the core premise, axed the show, axed Missy entirely (Rudolph still showed up now and again) and tried to be an entirely domestic sitcom. And it was boring. They should've stuck with what was working.

I don't think this was a plan so much as a thing that was imposed from the top down on the show. Also like a lot of the people involved quit while the show was retooling. It was a good first season, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Been watching Hells Kitchen cause I never got around to it. The "storylines" are really obvious but at least they are fun to watch so the fake aspects don't matter to me as much but the one finalist who had that weird scene talking to the billboard definitely felt pre-written. I think the best dude on the show is Jean-Phillipe because he is a slow burn but when he does get mad it's hilarously understated. Especially with the finalist who after three months with the Maitre'D, still couldn't get his name right:

"Hey, Jean-Pierre!"
"It has been 12 weeks, If you call me 'Jean-Pierre' one more time I will... kill you."

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

USA Up All Night was better. Bad movies with either Gilbert Gottfried or Rhonda Shear making fun of them/having big boobs was awesome. I think it's where I first saw Return of the Killer Tomatoes. And that movie is a comedy classic. One of the few sequels to surpass the original!

While the best stuff on Up All Night was the comedy/horror stuff, I have fond memories of the absurd tv edits of boob comedies like The Bikini Car Wash Company and The Bikini Car Wash Company II. Whenever there'd be nudity during those films' numerous musical montages, they'd replace it with the same couple scenes of cars going through a car wash, so you'd see the same stock footage 10-20 times. Boob comedies and TV edits probably don't age well, but they were pretty great at the time.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Two guys, a girl and a pizza place had the decency to eventually cut out the pizza place.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
HIMYM isn't too bad (aside from lasting too long) if you keep in mind it's all from a very unreliable narrartor

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maxwell Lord posted:

See this is an example of why having a plan and sticking to it is not always the best thing for a TV show. By the end of the series the showrunners should have realized "the mother is dead and it's really about getting Ted with Robin" no longer worked, for whatever reason.

Similar example is a short lived show called Up All Night. The idea was Will Arnett and Christina Applegate as new parents (hence, up all night) but also she (or maybe both?) was involved in a TV show starring Maya Rudolph and that was funny and a source of laughs, and there was an assistant character named Missy who was quite funny. But for the second year they decided they'd drifted from the core premise, axed the show, axed Missy entirely (Rudolph still showed up now and again) and tried to be an entirely domestic sitcom. And it was boring. They should've stuck with what was working.

Don't forget the plan to switch from a single camera show filmed on location to a multi camera sitcom filmed in front of a studio audience. The show was cancelled before they could make those changes however.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Been watching Hells Kitchen cause I never got around to it. The "storylines" are really obvious but at least they are fun to watch so the fake aspects don't matter to me as much but the one finalist who had that weird scene talking to the billboard definitely felt pre-written. I think the best dude on the show is Jean-Phillipe because he is a slow burn but when he does get mad it's hilarously understated. Especially with the finalist who after three months with the Maitre'D, still couldn't get his name right:

"Hey, Jean-Pierre!"
"It has been 12 weeks, If you call me 'Jean-Pierre' one more time I will... kill you."

Yeah the show is amusing though it quickly becomes obvious that these people are incompetent at the basics of cooking and/or hilariously overplayed caricatures.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
I couldn't watch How I met your mother at all. People can poo poo on Big Bang Theory all day but HIMYM had the straight up worst, most obvious fake laugh track I've ever heard.

Maybe it got better over time but the first three episodes broke any goodwill I had towards the actors I had liked on other stuff. I love Neil Patrick Harris because the man is a natural entertainer, he's great.

I don't begrudge a show for using canned laughter, not everything has to be comedy high art. But canned laughter implementation really should have been nailed down decades ago. Shows like Blackadder made in the 80's had jokes that the 'audience' didn't react to. MASH had dead silence when Hawkeye said something stupid and not funny.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cheshire Puss posted:

I couldn't watch How I met your mother at all. People can poo poo on Big Bang Theory all day but HIMYM had the straight up worst, most obvious fake laugh track I've ever heard.

Maybe it got better over time but the first three episodes broke any goodwill I had towards the actors I had liked on other stuff. I love Neil Patrick Harris because the man is a natural entertainer, he's great.

I don't begrudge a show for using canned laughter, not everything has to be comedy high art. But canned laughter implementation really should have been nailed down decades ago. Shows like Blackadder made in the 80's had jokes that the 'audience' didn't react to. MASH had dead silence when Hawkeye said something stupid and not funny.

Otherwise intelligent friends of mine swore for it but I really didn't like it. It just seemed... bland. Uninteresting characters, boring premise. Not sufficiently obnoxious to hate-watch, like I do with TBBT.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cheshire Puss posted:

Wait...are you comparing HIMYM's laugh track negatively to the famously-poo poo and overpowering laugh track of MASH?

That's a bit like saying Jennifer Lawrence is a bit pudgy and she'd look better if she were more Trump's shape.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

Wait...are you comparing HIMYM's laugh track negatively to the famously-poo poo and overpowering laugh track of MASH?

I watched just a few bits of BBT and the laugh track was way worse than MASH. can't speak to HIMYM

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The laugh track in the first episode or two of HIMYM really is exceptionally grating...or maybe enough of my brain cells committed suicide after two episodes that I no longer consider it strange. But I watched the whole show eventually, and remember stopping after the first episode initially entirely because of the laugh track.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

evobatman posted:

Two guys, a girl and a pizza place had the decency to eventually cut out the pizza place.

I find it weird that this mostly forgotten show introduced us (or at least me) to Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Fillion.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

food court bailiff posted:

The laugh track in the first episode or two of HIMYM really is exceptionally grating...or maybe enough of my brain cells committed suicide after two episodes that I no longer consider it strange. But I watched the whole show eventually, and remember stopping after the first episode initially entirely because of the laugh track.

The first few episodes had awful laugh track and this really overpowering, inappropriate big band jazz incidental music

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
I'd believe a tv network flew an american audience to Korea into an active war zone to watch a sitcom be filmed on location before a real audience laughed hysterically during the first HIMYM episodes, basically.

I havn't actually seen MASH in like 16 years though.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

MASH needed a laughtrack, though, so you could figure out what you were supposed to laugh at since it was painfully unfunny.

Kirk Vikernes has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Feb 25, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mammal Sauce posted:

MASH needed a soundtrack, though, so you could figure out what you were supposed to laugh at since it was painfully unfunny.

We have found him: the world’s dumbest man.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If M.A.S.H. was filmed before a live studio audience they would have whooped it up every time Hot Lips appeared and booooo'd whenever an Asian showed up (the 70's were surprisingly racist).

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mammal Sauce posted:

MASH needed a laughtrack, though, so you could figure out what you were supposed to laugh at since it was painfully unfunny.

Mr. Bibbs go eat a hot dog or som- wait, the gently caress?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

If M.A.S.H. was filmed before a live studio audience they would have whooped it up every time Hot Lips appeared and booooo'd whenever an Asian showed up (the 70's were surprisingly racist).

Nah, that didn't start until the 80s, especially with Married With Children.

(The whooping and booing, not the racism. That's been around since the late 30's or so.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mammal Sauce posted:

I'd there a doctor in the thread? I burned myself on this take

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m watching Rescue Me on Hulu right now. The first few seasons are well done, but dated by how recent 9/11 was. It’s a major part of how the characters relate to each other, but, nearly 2 decades later it’s... weird. I used to work right by where the towers were, and the Freedom Tower was going up then. It’s not in the skyline here. It all feels wrong. Gotta love the early 2000’s.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m watching Rescue Me on Hulu right now. The first few seasons are well done, but dated by how recent 9/11 was. It’s a major part of how the characters relate to each other, but, nearly 2 decades later it’s... weird. I used to work right by where the towers were, and the Freedom Tower was going up then. It’s not in the skyline here. It all feels wrong. Gotta love the early 2000’s.

Rescue Me started sucking around the time he stopped seeing dead people.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A recent cutaway gag on Family Guy I've probably mentioned in some other thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NtkPGzmfWI

For all the things they could make fun of Netflix about, it seems like a joke that probably wasn't even all that accurate at the time the episode aired.

edit: According to Instantwatcher, only 33 movies from 2003 on Netflix.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Feb 25, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, that’s a fair assessment of when it crawled up it’s own rear end

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

JediTalentAgent posted:

A recent cutaway gag on Family Guy I've probably mentioned in some other thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NtkPGzmfWI

For all the things they could make fun of Netflix about, it seems like a joke that probably wasn't even all that accurate at the time the episode aired.

edit: According to Instantwatcher, only 33 movies from 2003 on Netflix.

Yeah Netflix is weird but not for those reasons. I've barely seen the buffer issue. Though I have noticed over the years that the more they focus on original content, the less concerned they seem to be with retention of other companies' movies...

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I'd there a doctor in the thread? I burned myself on this take

Man sexually assaults women and harasses minorities while a laugh track plays. Truly ground breaking television. The only time I laughed at MASH was when Alan Alda was trying to be serious.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They only finished FREEDOM TOWER in 2014.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Much like Denis Leary's stand-up act, then.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah Netflix is weird but not for those reasons. I've barely seen the buffer issue. Though I have noticed over the years that the more they focus on original content, the less concerned they seem to be with retention of other companies' movies...

I mean if this clip was from 2009 I would agree. Buffering issues like that were much worse and the selection was really bad. My dad is the only person I know who still gets disks because the things he wants (old and foreign movies) aren't streaming.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Cheshire Puss posted:

Outside of bits that would obviously be impossible (i.e. in fields), all but the first series Blackadder was filmed in front of an audience. And as for the first series, it was shown to an audience after it was filmed. None of them used canned laughter.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

the Freedom Tower

The fact that anyone can say that without a scoff and finger quotes is really strange

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Choco1980 posted:

Probably because everyone and their dog has a streaming service now, at least Netflix will still have a decent slew of original content as contracts expire etc

(If this is incorrect please ignore my layman’s view and zero-research assumption)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Nah, that didn't start until the 80s, especially with Married With Children.

(The whooping and booing, not the racism. That's been around since the late 30's or so.)

The late 3030's BC

Choco1980 posted:

The Great Burrito posted:

Probably because everyone and their dog has a streaming service now, at least Netflix will still have a decent slew of original content as contracts expire etc

(If this is incorrect please ignore my layman’s view and zero-research assumption)

That is, in fact, their business plan

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/netflix-50-percent-content-original-programming-cfo-1201865902/

https://marketrealist.com/2017/01/netflix-expects-continue-focus-original-content-2017

https://www.screendaily.com/news/original-content-drives-netflix-amazon-growth-in-uk/5125116.article