Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

The effort, company, and laughter are their own reward, and they are very rich indeed.

Your posts are a treat, and these little codas you wrap them up with are brilliant, just brilliant.

This is I think the first time I've seen any of these guys wade into all of this stuff that has been OCD'd in here and the reactions are predictable and hilarious.

"Not caution, Miffy. Horror"

Horror, Miffy.

Horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

970 Strix

38fps in the menu
14 in starting area
7 when I walk down to the area with NPCs

That's 720p everything low, vsync off. Dropping res gets me another frame or two.

I could live with 20fps, honestly, I played FSX on a Pentium D for years

It's not maxing out the cpu cores but they do get to about 90% when I move around.

CPU is an i5 something 2.66 boosts to 3.3

I'm using 390.77 version drivers, and I blew away the contents of %APPDATA%\Temp\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache before first launch to make sure I got a clean initial shader cache built.

I also did a clean driver install (the checkbox for that is during the driver installation) and I only install the graphics drivers and physx. I definitely never install that nvidia utility that supposedly optimizes for certain games.

I'm using the default system settings (system.cfg) - I don't have a user.cfg file. It sets me to 720p everything low, same as you.

System is Win10 v1709 latest build, recent defrag, no third-party antivirus.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

The Germans have stumbled over the SC drama thread and are just getting their first glimpse into the abyss of depravity and dysfunction mouldering beneath the surface ...

Not caution, Miffy. Horror.

Um, yeah?

It’s easy sometimes to take for granted that our encyclopedic documentation of a 6 year trainwreck remains little known outside this good company, a backwater here and there, and Derek’s blogs. The methodical documentation efforts of this small society of OCD types has produced a treasure alternatively horrific and hilarious yet it is incomprehensible and unspeakable.

Even in that thread, the host has recoiled from the discussion and removed the link.

And even here we see how reasonable people can quickly contrive excuses to turn away from, discount and censor that which they are completely ignorant about.

They are prisoners of their own stereotypes and biases because “of course that can’t be true! Of course these must be fictions whipped up by Derek’s loyalists. Of course those SA posters couldn’t possibly be trustworthy, authorative, honest. Because if CIG truly did have such skeletons in its closet I’d have heard of it by now!”

And yet it is true. It is true, irrefutably true, and it will remain true whether or not they choose to consider the documentation or process the implications. It is true whether or not “gaming news” outlet Polygon remains a press release parrot for David Swofford and reports fictions and misrepresents facts. The sickening and heartbreaking truths of Cloud Imperium Games are settled history, chiseled in stone and they will over time be parceled out in forms that make them palatable and easily processed.

False narratives, most especially the propaganda pumped out under Chris and Sandi’s deceitful oversight will more and more be subject to ridicule and we’ve already seen this happen in the last year especially. They are no longer trusted nor believed trustworthy for they’ve proven even for those barely paying attention to the story they are not. The Thesis is dead. Yet there will be more and it will be worse and one day, whether in months or years, those who turned away from what they assumed was heretical lies will be forced to contend with the true history. CIG itself has written it, even while it propagandized their own Pollyanna fictions, attempted to bury that which contradicted it and maligned or silenced anyone who dare speak the Antithesis that makes sense of that which is otherwise nonsensical.

In the time between now and the inevitable, I continue to cherish that a group of randoms in a throwback nowhere have kept up the necessary work of gathering up unspeakable truths if not for the present then for posterity’s sake. The effort, company, and laughter are their own reward, and they are very rich indeed.

The horror, Miffy.

Behold it.

Behold the horror, Miffy.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm using 390.77 version drivers, and I blew away the contents of %APPDATA%\Temp\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache before first launch to make sure I got a clean initial shader cache built.

I also did a clean driver install (the checkbox for that is during the driver installation) and I only install the graphics drivers and physx. I definitely never install that nvidia utility that supposedly optimizes for certain games.

I'm using the default system settings (system.cfg) - I don't have a user.cfg file. It sets me to 720p everything low, same as you.

System is Win10 v1709 latest build, recent defrag, no third-party antivirus.

I DDU'd and reinstalled drivers last night but didn't wipe out shader cache. Might try that.

Don't use any AV or that nvidia nonsense either. I'm on Win7, running it off a second drive, not ssd but a western digital raptor or something

I'll try a clean driver install, clear shaders out, reinstall game from scratch.

Not necessarily in that order

E: thanks btw, good to know it can be playable on not a $500 gfx card

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I can't make out most of "Subsumption v0.995i" but other than wait for repair calls, this looks more like standard NPC 'walk here, walk here, wait 20 seconds, walk here. If a player talks to you say this' logic. I only skimmed their recent youtube video but that redditor makes it sound like they are doing exactly that. You can practically see each bool for 'remember what player answered for that question on level 2'

Perhaps it should come as no surprise that Chris solves everything by throwing more people at it. Every detail is a hand placed pixel it seems. I would estimate a month or two just to manually scripting each NPC for a simple level like this. Is his plan to use up the remaining money (and 2018) scripting all this detail by hand for a Squadron42 payday? lol.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

This got me thinking. It's really odd that a guy who thinks of himself as a filmmaker—and whose vision of "gameplay" involves lots of lovely cutscenes and on-rails stuff so players are forced to endure can fully appreciate every page of his bloated magnum opus—demands this incredibly granular and irrelevant background simulation. I mean, I realize that the reason is that Roberts is a cretin, but it still strikes me as bizarre.

I look forward to the day that samfreez' "anybody who demands the game be done sooner than the heat death of the universe is impatient" bullshit comes crashing down around him as the reality sinks in that the game isn't coming at all. Maybe that makes me a bad person, but I don't care. :shrug:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Bind culling

Refactoring

Server Meshing

Pipelines

Cloud

Subsumption

Spin up more servers

De woh de ehp hai de whoah

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beet Wagon posted:

I can't remember exactly when it was but there was a time in like early 2016 where for a month or two literally every piece of news CIG put out seemed to directly answer something that was going on in this thread.

That was a special time. Thread intern was working overtime and it seemed like Sandi pissed at us non-stop... (For the great sins of documenting their misdeeds and occasionally getting some big traction elsewhere with it.)

SomethingJones posted:

The horror, Miffy.

Behold it.

Behold the horror, Miffy.

Yeah, The Book of Loaf is especially queasy historical material. That it was real may seem unbelievable to them yet the truly amazing fact is that despite the reality of it, CIG did nothing and changed nothing. I can admire the stubborn loyalty but it was unbelievable then and now that they didn't at least gently usher Ben into a non-public facing role and elevate someone else to co-host for ATV. Fortunately for them, it didn't blow up but it was not because it didn't have thermonuclear potential. It did, and it would've irradiated the brand permanently if it had broken big. I'm sure there were many inside Foundry and CIG who caught wind of it and very much wanted to see that happen right then and right there for everyone's sake.

I'm personally glad it didn't blow up, though. The leadership deserves to be felled for the sins of their stewardship, not for the horribly offensive things a community manager said in the years prior to the project.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

I DDU'd and reinstalled drivers last night but didn't wipe out shader cache. Might try that.

Don't use any AV or that nvidia nonsense either. I'm on Win7, running it off a second drive, not ssd but a western digital raptor or something

I'll try a clean driver install, clear shaders out, reinstall game from scratch.

Not necessarily in that order

E: thanks btw, good to know it can be playable on not a $500 gfx card

Skip reinstalling the game - it's time consuming, and 99 times out of 100, when that "fixes" an issue, it's because there was some kind of config file nestled amongst the game files that got blown away in the purge.

Check the transfer speed on your secondary drive. Run Windows Resource Monitor, go to the Disk tab, expand the Disk Activity section, sort descending on "Total (B/sec)" and watch that while you're playing. Keep an eye on the blue "% Highest Active Time". If that hits 99% during times your framerate is chugging, you're I/O locked on streaming the data from storage. In that case, look at the files being accessed in the Disk Activity window. If you see something other than KingdomCome.exe hitting your drive hard, that is a possible culprit. If you see a lot of pagefile.sys activity then you're hitting your RAM limits and forcing too much swapping - kill some resident programs to minimize that impact.

In my experience storage I/O is almost always the performance culprit, with the GPU speed coming in second.

One last thing to check - I had this happen to me years ago and I couldn't believe I let something like this happen, so don't think I'm talking down to you when I suggest it. Make sure the video card heatsinks are clean, and that the fans are running, and that the case is cool enough. I had a game that kept randomly going from 30fps to 3fps and it took literal months of reinstalls, troubleshooting, drivers, etc. and when I looked in the case the heatsink was covered in the Dust Bunny King - the downclocking FPS was the video card's built-in cooldown mechanism to avoid damage. GPU-Z is a nice little app that will give you vid card temps and even report fan speeds.

Edit: Star Citizen Bad

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 25, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Edit: Star Citizen Bad

Well, I'm glad we got that settled. :colbert:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

BluesShaman posted:

Bind culling

Refactoring

Server Meshing

Pipelines

Cloud

Subsumption

Spin up more servers

De woh de ehp hai de whoah

End Result?

Space Parkinson's and standing on chairs.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
pc gaming

wwoww

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I can't remember exactly when it was but there was a time in like early 2016 where for a month or two literally every piece of news CIG put out seemed to directly answer something that was going on in this thread.

The entirety of 2016 was nonstop unbelievable hilarity. CIG, particularly Sandi/Ben/Chris, showed their true colors as dishonest scumbags at every opportunity, and reveled in it, like a supervillain who discovers he's bulletproof. Everything they did was just beyond the pale. From their reprehensible behavior on camera, to their ridiculous unfillable promises, Ben's online holocaust, the cash-gouging nonsensical concept ships, procedural birds, space news vans, (some of that was late 2015 but it certainly spilled over), the rampant and obvious theft of other people's artwork (including watermarks) and paper-thin theft of established IPs (Hello Kitty), and the complete deletion of THEIR OWN Terms of Service promise to show how money was spent once they found out they couldn't make the deadline, knowing full well that promise was made specifically to encourage people to donate cash; for that year, CIG acted like they were given one year to be as evil as possible and ran with that challenge as if it there was a prize for completing it.

And under it all, the constant throbbing promise of "3.0" which would fix everything. The patch that came out a full year later, with none of the features 3.0 was supposed to have, but including so much inept code that it killed their own Twitch and YouTube followings in weeks.

CIG died like Isadora Duncan did - we're just waiting on the announcement.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

G0RF posted:

Yeah, The Book of Loaf is especially queasy historical material.

I thought the German podcast forum was talking about fuzzymodem or the dickwolf guy. Nope it was one of the other dozen drama bombs? lol

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Virtual Captain posted:

I thought the German podcast forum was talking about fuzzymodem or the dickwolf guy. Nope it was one of the other dozen drama bombs? lol

Ben's personal website, that he openly admitted was his, is apparently not a reliable enough source to make judgments about Ben. Okay, German auditors, what's your baseline for reliability?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I wonder what Miffy will make of Moma's family being dead

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

All this google translate hurts my brain

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Wuxi posted:

All this google translate hurts my brain

Has anyone run stimpire.txt through the thing that translates text dozens of times to produce silly gibberish?

Is it possible that is how stimpire.txt was composed in the first place? :thunk:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Imagine dedicating your life to a fraud's brain fart.

Every time I see those posts, it makes me sad. And I want to help him get over that weird problem. Then I remember what kind of person he is, and I stop myself from commenting or caring because honestly he deserves this life.

A life, dedicated to a video game and everything about that video game.

It's one of those things you'll look back on, and him and other people will do that whole "rub your chin/itch your head/feel dumb because that person dedicated their life to something so dumb wrapping your mind around it makes you feel stupid".

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

Guys, I'm sorry about my recent meltdown. I promise to not let it happen again until it happens next time.

You should go bask in the hot tub of one of your jpegs and let it melt all your troubles away. This is good advice from one of your fellow Star Citizen friends with how to deal with problems or feelings of inadequacy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wise Learned Man posted:

Has anyone run stimpire.txt through the thing that translates text dozens of times to produce silly gibberish?

Is it possible that is how stimpire.txt was composed in the first place? :thunk:

No. When the eviscerated body full of liquid bones was exposed it was basically a "It's Beautiful" moment.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

I admit, I shed tears (of the mind control solution that I crave more than life)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I can never get enough of how anytime people want to say they have doubts, or fears, or have criticism, there is always a huge paragraph disclaimer about their trust and faith.

Guys, if you read the thread as a silent majority, you don't need to do this. You donating to a game you believed in and Chris Roberts and crew loving it up are not necessary tied together. You don't need to believe him and his every word.

You can have criticism, and right now, they really loving need it. Because anybody who is anything can see this project is being driven straight into the ground, even with millions and millions of dollars.

When yo have to ask why they are focusing attention on stupid details when the space ship part of the game is broken, and there is not even a rudimentary commodity trading system (I'm not talking about moving a stupid loving box), there's problems. These things should have been done and buttoned up years ago.

I'm super glad the game looks great, like an almost AAA quality experience... but as everybody is discovering it's not just about amazing graphics. It's also amazing programming and systems development; things that are simply not happening.

Until you guys can control your loving wallets and stop donating tens of thousands to CIG on a daily basis, it's probably not going to get better. Stop donating, make a few basic demands like "why don't you make the space ships fun to fly and have combat in and let me play with my friends reliably?" you're going to end up with a final product when they run out of money that has no fun aspects to it.

It's one things to say "I'm gonna build a whole universe and it will be chuck full of the highest fidelity ever seen in a video game ever!" versus actually doing it. Only you backers can put your money where your mouth is and get CIG to at least make an effort towards making a real game, even if it's just tiny pieces of a game that are fun to play. Eventually those fun to play bits might come together into a whole; so long as they kind of do it right (haha).

Anyhow, I love your disclaimers! I bet it works! :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

Warhorse should get a refund from Crytek

According to CIG followers they used the engine illegally since it was exclusively licensed to CIG only for Star Citizen. Really CIG should be suing KCD to uphold their contract.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

pc gaming

wwoww

I'm going back to a gameboy

In fact I'm going back to a stick

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The Titanic posted:

According to CIG followers they used the engine illegally since it was exclusively licensed to CIG only for Star Citizen. Really CIG should be suing KCD to uphold their contract.

There is no loving way anyone is making Star Citizen with this engine, nobody anywhere ever

It does everything on the cpu, there's nowhere left to put a game

It's a miracle warhorse built this at all, a xmas easter spring and loving jihadi xmas miracle

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

That was a special time. Thread intern was working overtime and it seemed like Sandi pissed at us non-stop... (For the great sins of documenting their misdeeds and occasionally getting some big traction elsewhere with it.)

This all came to a head when Beer4TheBeerGod went toe to toe with Sandi and made her dreams of being the smartest person in the room look very fraudulent. I feel like this hurt her because all along the way she genuinely started to believe the lies she told everybody around her about herself.

I'm pretty sure at this time she checked out and decided she'd rather play actress than try to help the company paying her million+ dollar salary.

There was a very distinct change at this period. Everything changed from "this is personal to me!" to "its not personal at all and I don't really care what you think". (Bear in mind marketing people care, and people watching the money, because the money is the important aspect here. It's flow cannot be jeopardized and all hell will be refuted or backed up over if it looks like something slipped out that may jeopardize that flow.)

This is kind of an important bit though, because it gave them an ability to no longer care about what they were saying. There was no longer this responsibility feeling that "yeah I'm actually going to do this thing I'm telling you because I think in my head it's not a lie at all!" Now there can be lies, with not even an iota of thinking or believing they will ever be honored at all. There's not as much of a personal defense going on, and it's certainly not from CR or his wife unless it's some kind of a video they are starring in for YouTube and only to save the money flow as referenced above.

This disconnect makes it easier to sell lies, distance themselves from the reality of the project vs the marketing needs of the project. It lets marketers go full on bullshit and the Roberts don't need to care or address it.

This is probably an important turning point in the project as well. It's where the game part stopped, and the marketing engine became important. It's why today we have land sales, and tank sales, and anything and everything else sales. The game is the marketing engine. Everything else is there just to support it, with the game itself on a constant maintenance mode that it will never get out of.

Even right now, they're probably working on another 100% fake demo that will look great either as a video or as "people playing" it. It'll never go public though, and no normal people will get their hands on it... but it'll create more sales, and that's what's important right now.

It's a high profile cash grab, with a ton of work put into marketing and faking progress, or outright lying about progress, and minimal work actually being done on the product itself. Just enough that it still looks like it's moving forwards, and trying hard to keep people from paying attention to time.

If you notice, there's a lot of time obfuscation going on all over. Probably from paid marketers as well as savant fans picking it up. Development is alway "just really starting a month ago!" and there's a good reason for that: it's a marketing weapon.

It's one thing to load up the game and see it's a wreck and say "180+ million dollars, over 5 years development, a multinational staff across multiple studios with over 400 employees!" and have people not go "what the gently caress are you guys really doing because this is not representative of that!!!"

But if development time is always obfuscated, and it's always just starting, then it looks like great progress is being made.

CIGs primarily marketing goal is information overload, and fact obfuscation. Be it about the status of the game or it's condition or what's coming next. You'll both never know, never be right, and somebody can always point you at some random video where they ironed out that exact question and you're a fool for not seeing it yourself.

It's a super good thing for making money from nothing... but the end result will not be a video game. It will be a few people who are super rich. I guess depending on which side of the fence you're on that's both fine and dandy. :)

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 25, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh poo poo she made a real effort post. I think I'm on a roll.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Virtual Captain posted:

I can't make out most of "Subsumption v0.995i" but other than wait for repair calls, this looks more like standard NPC 'walk here, walk here, wait 20 seconds, walk here. If a player talks to you say this' logic.

This is how it's always been described. Subsumption is purely a buzzword.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tokamak posted:

Except now populate 99 million NPCs with this logic. Or whatever the player to npc ratio was supposed to be, across an entire huge galaxy that's supposed to be The Matrix in space.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

The Titanic posted:

is that the guys wife? you should probably kill her with a photon torpedo ... stupid bitch!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

SomethingJones posted:

“Not caution, Miffy. Horror"

Don’t you want to go in the water Miffy?

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

G0RF posted:

Yeah, The Book of Loaf is especially queasy historical material. That it was real may seem unbelievable to them yet the truly amazing fact is that despite the reality of it, CIG did nothing and changed nothing.

The Book of Loaf is really no worse than the Kingdom Come creator's Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/NoticeSeanpai/status/964931429749723138

By which I mean the creator of Racist Morrowind and the curator of Blair's Pants Academy should be locked in the same room. Anyone slamming Star Citizen because Lesnick is a terrible human really shouldn't be talking up Sword Citizen, Lesnick never sat down for an interview with Breitbart to explain why the only black guy being the janitor is historically accurate.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Star Citizen: Culling All Devs

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Terebus posted:

These are cool have you ever combined the data to show a longer period trend?

I only have detailed leaderboard data starting with 2.6.3. That being said, you can still look at the final leaderboard stats for previous "seasons" and get aggregate numbers, you just don't get the time evolution. It also makes comparing unique player counts invalid, because you instead measure the number of unique players over some uncontrolled length of time dictated by CIG's patch schedule rather than a standardized unit of time like a week or 4 days. There are also difficulties finding out the time boundaries of the 1.3, 2.0, and 2.1 seasons due to CIG's infamous database schmeg.

With those caveats in mind, I went back and computed some aggregate stats for a couple of earlier seasons.

Season 10 (v1.1.6 Trials, Aug 2015):
AC average concurrent players - 212.6
Race average concurrent players - 5.8
SM - didn't exist
Total uniques: 34,600. If divided by the total number of days you get 2435.4 uniques per day (but see the foregoing discussion for why this statistic is problematic.)

Season 17 (v2.6, Dec 2016 - Feb 2017)
SM average concurrent players - 85.9
AC average concurrent players - 68.1
Race average concurrent players - 2.4
Total uniques: 128,308 or 2,284.5 "per day"

Since these are aggregated over entire seasons, it is likely that the peak numbers were higher still. For comparison let us restate the 3.0.1 figures from the latest reporting period:
SM average - 3.0
AC average - 4.7
Race average - 1.0
Total uniques: 1,129 or 279.5 "per day"

So Arena Commander is at 2.2% of its Season 10 usage despite having added another game mode since then (Squadron Battle co-op). Racing has been moribund for a long time but has still dropped to 17.2% of its relative glory in Season 10. Star Marine has fallen to 3.5% of its activity in its inaugural season. The true count of unique players per day is most likely under 10% of what it was previously.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Tokamak posted:

Haha good one.

2014 Chris: "my goal actually is for the NPC's in the game to sort of feel and appear much like real people"

Or have a look at the other selections under the NPC category: https://starcitizentracker.github.io/#npc

Mattjpwns posted:

Star Citizen: Culling All Devs

:five:

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017
Does anybody speak slug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ToRKZkJdI&t=897s

rawr im a tree
Jul 4, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nothing is working out as planned anymore. Everything keeps getting pushed (:argh: pusherrrrrrrr) to later and I'm beginning to feel grief.

Derek Smart is still a moron though (there - that feels better).

you are the dumbest motherfucker i've seen on these forums. this includes the fingat guy. you are not allowed to call any one moron, you loving dumb poo poo.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

The Book of Loaf is really no worse than the Kingdom Come creator's Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/NoticeSeanpai/status/964931429749723138

By which I mean the creator of Racist Morrowind and the curator of Blair's Pants Academy should be locked in the same room. Anyone slamming Star Citizen because Lesnick is a terrible human really shouldn't be talking up Sword Citizen, Lesnick never sat down for an interview with Breitbart to explain why the only black guy being the janitor is historically accurate.

I’ve never slammed Lesnick as a “terrible human being” and in fact have pointed out some redeeming qualities even recently and called specific attention to in prior threads to the tragic aspects of his story arc as Chris Roberts biggest fanboy. Some of us raised concerns about workplace / environmental contributions to his declining health and spiraling obesity only months before his alarming hospitalization experience (septic infection) likely brought about by (surprise!) workplace / environmental contributions.

So I hope that clears up my own position if there was confusion.

As to your other points, The Book of Loaf subplot has been extensively documented in prior threads but is almost entirely unknown outside this gathering. The politically incorrect and controversial opinions of KCD developer Daniel Vávra have been litigated exhaustively in the press and online. One can’t said the matter is little known; the gaming press has been all over it even as they have ignored the various moral transgressions that deeply taint a crowdfunding project nearly 20x larger in budget.

I’m surprised anyone familiar with both would draw equivalence but it’s honestly such a distasteful catalog of writing that I’d personally rather not see us derailed for a sequel excavation in the main SC thread. It’s just too ugly and like much of the extremely bleak humor that arose from Lesnick’s stalker like obsession with a newscaster, it really blankets the whole thread in stimperial horror that is, for me at least, impossible to find humor or redeeming discussions about.

If you do see there being some worth in a comparative debate between the unironic statements of Daniel Vávra and the ‘satirical’ writing of The Book Of Loaf, I’d personally suggest starting a discussion in the Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum that pits the two against one another and invites discussion as to which is ultimately the most transgressive. It’s not a conversational I’d personally partake in but I’m sure there would be plenty here ready to engage in that debate.

The Titanic posted:

I think there’s a lot of truth to your post. There is absolutely no doubt that Sandi spent a long stretch throwing punches — seriously engaged in petty fights particularly with goons — and so much of it came back to haunt her, especially Beer’s letter. That thing blew up repeatedly and eventually made it into the gaming press twice.

That does seem to have been the apex after which she slowly began a retreat into a far more passive, detached stance at CIG. The early years were often spent giving interviews, particularly to Batgirl but elsewhere as well. We mined them eventually and found rich veins of thread gold. The labeling of customers as Goons and Snowflakes in their trouble ticket system show her fingerprints on them and with the letter to Beer she once again hoisted herself on her own petard and saw her haughty arrogance and vanity.weaponized against her simply by disclosure.

And we can actually see it as bigger than Sandi. The Retreat was a coordinated withdrawal in the summer of 2016 on multiple fronts. The end of the old “Reverse the Verse” was explained by Lando as their move towards professionalization as the game was reaching a stage where it was appropriate. “Around The Verse Episode 100” moved to shake things up and involve the other studios far more. It was less personal, more formal, and more rigidly scripted than the 99 prior. By the time Kotaku UK published their translated version of Level Magazine’s “24 Year Feud” story that featured Beer and the Sandi emails, CIG had completed their transition into a better fortified bunker. Whatever their other motives, it’s hard not to think one big one was to reduce the likelihood of continued self-ownage because Goons and DS had so effectively weaponized their “open development” against them, particularly Chris, Sandi and Ben.

Of course, their own blind spots remained and the self-owns continued. Alpha 3.0 is the perfect example of that. The Road to CitizenCon, which was in some ways their most sophisticated piece of propaganda ever, is one non-stop self-indictment when properly unpacked. Gamescom 2017 was a trainwreck perhaps bigger than any in their history. So the retreat didn’t really end the embarrassments so much as paint them on different canvases.

I think you’re right, too, that even as the development flounders further, the obfuscate-and-hype plans are continuing apace. We saw them play it safer than ever with the holiday livestream and dropping Gamescom feels like a retreat, as well, but surely even as we write there are plans coming together to make CitizenCon 2018 a huge spectacle that will more than compensate for the skipped Gamescom event.

The efficacy of cinematic fictions presented to large crowds isn’t what it used to be, not with 3.0 still just a sickly shadow of the version hyped a year and a half ago and Squadron very clearly still in the early days of earnest, concerted development. Yet what else does Chris have but a big mouth, sleight of hand tricks and trailer porn?

What has he ever really had besides that to keep the faithful entranced? If it doesn’t work like it used to because people see the rabbit up the sleeve, he’s still got no alternative short of delivering the actual miracle he’s been hyping for 6 years.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Iymarra posted:

Any word on why Bootcha stopped uploading videos?

I don't know if this is an answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiSIFjmPYy4