Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"hey, we're going to do some promo photoshoots for the show, that okay with you?"
"sure, what's the costume, my leather jacket?"
"well...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

double nine posted:

"hey, we're going to do some promo photoshoots for the show, that okay with you?"
"well...."

Just some standard-issue future cop uniform. You would think all races would be gone but maybe they are genetically created for fashion.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

double nine posted:

"well...."

Haha, what?

I thought that was like personal headshots (demonstrating range) or promo shots from something else.

Not that Netflix and the Altered Carbon producers aren't playing up the sex appeal. I saw a post they did on Facebook going over the "Cyber Hunks" of Altered Carbon.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Honestly, my biggest problem with the show was set design.

Like, how does a lovely cop who isn't on somebody's payroll afford that massive gently caress off apartment? Because, jeeze, her house is loving huge. To say nothing of that other family's beautiful, if cluttered, circular sun room.

Did no one tell the set designers that severe income inequality would lead to shortages on space? Everyone lives in these enormous homes, but oh no, they must be poor because you have to duck between two artfully graffited shipping containers to get inside.

That and that police station is an insanely over designed set. On top of having a fancy scifi desk, the police chief's office has two separate glowing walls that seemingly exist purely to project various shades of blue light into his office. It's insane. It's like he's working in two different discos.

I liked the bit where they blew up.

(And I didn't mind dream Quell tbh. Not the flashbacks, but the bit where she turns up and haunts him a bit were fine and occasionally moving when they underplayed things. i.e. not the last episode.)

Well, the worse income inequality gets, the better compensated the agents of state violence become.

In the books, though, the sweet digs were a boat that Ryker acquired through crooked means.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Young Freud posted:

Haha, what?

I thought that was like personal headshots (demonstrating range) or promo shots from something else.

Not that Netflix and the Altered Carbon producers aren't playing up the sex appeal. I saw a post they did on Facebook going over the "Cyber Hunks" of Altered Carbon.

It’s cyberpunk/outrun Orange is the new black

(Pink and Cyan are the new Red and Blue?)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Every scene with Quell makes me want to stop watching.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Re: why Kovacs likes Ortega. In the book he makes some reference to the Ryker sleeve ‘reacting’ on some level to her presence, like a pheromonal thing or something.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The hippy forest bullshit episode is almost indivisible from the Star Trek Discovery hippy forest bullshit episode in my mind. Are the people who write these things still trying to appeal to people who liked Avatar or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

navyjack posted:

Well, the worse income inequality gets, the better compensated the agents of state violence become.

In the books, though, the sweet digs were a boat that Ryker acquired through crooked means.

The boat was legit. He did some work with some Australian cops while chasing a case, and they work on a bounty system (you bag a big rich guy for a crime like a druglord or whatever, you get some of his stuff). Ryker's cut was the boat, but the other guys in the Fell St station just got jealous of it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LinYutang posted:

The only good part of the flashbacks is that you got to see more of Will Yun Lee who is a far better actor than Joel Kinnaman.

They should have just switched the two actors' parts

Totally

AlternateAccount posted:

Every scene with Quell makes me want to stop watching.

Yep

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
so do headshots = stack death or does he have to hit the neck specifically?

there's a ton of headshots when he breaks out of the torture company, including the guy his partner promised not to kill, and i'm not clear if they're dead or Real Death'd™

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Caganer posted:

They have to hit the stack. The brain is dead weight when you've got a little computer in your neck replacing its functions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caganer posted:

there's a ton of headshots when he breaks out of the torture company, including the guy his partner promised not to kill, and i'm not clear if they're dead or Real Death'd™

You gotta destroy the Stack to RD someone. That's the entire point of them; they're a human black box. Recover it from the wreckage corpse, download into a new sleeve.

The series writers just couldn't manage anything interesting beyond "Oh no, they got shot THROUGH THE STACK!" for drama when it came to character deaths.

Tiggum posted:

They have to hit the stack. The brain is dead weight when you've got a little computer in your neck replacing its functions.

It's just a storage device, and wetware interface. It doesn't replace anything in the brain proper.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's just a storage device, and wetware interface. It doesn't replace anything in the brain proper.

It can't just be a storage device, unless brains are somehow grown in accord with the stored structure. Resleeving wouldn't work, otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a foolish pianist posted:

It can't just be a storage device, unless brains are somehow grown in accord with the stored structure. Resleeving wouldn't work, otherwise.

Hence "and wetware interface".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't understand the distinction you're making or how you think stacks work. The whole point is that they replace the brain, that's how you can transfer from one body to another. If the brain was still doing its job then there'd be two minds in the one body.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

Re: why Kovacs likes Ortega. In the book he makes some reference to the Ryker sleeve ‘reacting’ on some level to her presence, like a pheromonal thing or something.

It happens a few times in the books. People go from having the hots for each other to nothin’ when they resleeve, and in the last one Kovacs and some other people sleeve into some bioengineered combat sleeves and feel like siblings.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand the distinction you're making or how you think stacks work. The whole point is that they replace the brain, that's how you can transfer from one body to another. If the brain was still doing its job then there'd be two minds in the one body.

This is why I was raising the issue earlier of what happens to a custom grown sleeve’s soul/brain/mind

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Caganer posted:

The head shots sleeve-killed them, but you see him going around that room shooting them again, so he was basically ensuring that they would never come back.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Young Freud posted:

The head shots sleeve-killed them, but you see him going around that room shooting them again, so he was basically ensuring that they would never come back.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hence "and wetware interface".

The stack has to have processing that completely replaces the brain (or at least all the non autonomous functions). Otherwise, resleeving wouldn't do anything but start recording another brain's experiences.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiggum posted:

a foolish pianist posted:

The stack has to have processing that completely replaces the brain (or at least all the non autonomous functions). Otherwise, resleeving wouldn't do anything but start recording another brain's experiences.

Stacks are indeed backup storage, saving memories as they're formed in the brain. They're also a direct wetware link to interfacing with the brain for rewriting/wiping, because neural reprogramming is A Thing in Altered Carbon. It's why Neurachem exists, along with things like custom-grown sleeves with innate reflex skillsets. That's the general level of tech Altered Carbon is supposed to have.

If the brain wasn't still doing its job, you could shoot someone in the skull and nothing would happen.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

IIRC, in the books, nobody showed how tough and serious they were by destroying stacks. Instead they’d kill you, grab the stack, and put you in virtual torture until you go crazy. Much nastier.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stacks are indeed backup storage, saving memories as they're formed in the brain. They're also a direct wetware link to interfacing with the brain for rewriting/wiping, because neural reprogramming is A Thing in Altered Carbon. It's why Neurachem exists, along with things like custom-grown sleeves with innate reflex skillsets. That's the general level of tech Altered Carbon is supposed to have.
You're saying that when a stack gets put into a new body, it completely reconfigures the entire structure of the brain? That if you pulled the stack out of a person they'd carry on regardless because it already rewrote their brain and the stack is just a backup? I don't think that's supported in any way by the text and it's way more complicated and implausible than the stack just replacing the brain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiggum posted:

You're saying that when a stack gets put into a new body, it completely reconfigures the entire structure of the brain? That if you pulled the stack out of a person they'd carry on regardless because it already rewrote their brain and the stack is just a backup? I don't think that's supported in any way by the text and it's way more complicated and implausible than the stack just replacing the brain.

Stacks never get put into a sleeve past the initial injection at-birth/creation, and yes they would if you did. Biotech in Altered Carbon is at the level that the brain's just hardware to be reprogrammed like any other computer. They also don't have to be at the base of the skull, it's just the standard spot because the spinal column hardens around it for an extra layer of protection.

There's also an explicit part in Woken Furies about ripping stacks from people while they're still alive and tossing them in the ocean.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 25, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beefeater1980 posted:

IIRC, in the books, nobody showed how tough and serious they were by destroying stacks. Instead they’d kill you, grab the stack, and put you in virtual torture until you go crazy. Much nastier.

It’s also why when Kovacs snaps and starts RDijg people a bunch of characters step back and go “that dude may be a little very unstable.”

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s also why when Kovacs snaps and starts RDijg people a bunch of characters step back and go “that dude may be a little very unstable.”

wait was this in the books or the show because iirc when he wakes up and RDs the lab there's no one with him to go "whoa man not cool" (cause they're all RD'd)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caganer posted:

wait was this in the books or the show because iirc when he wakes up and RDs the lab there's no one with him to go "whoa man not cool" (cause they're all RD'd)

Ortega is absolutely furious with him in the book for RD'ing the entire Wei Clinic in the book, and the only reason he slides on it is because the Wei Clinic aren't pressing charges. Something about not wanting cops to see their illicit dissection labs and obscenely-illegal virtual torture software, I guess.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am gonna keep watching this, but:

- The 250 year thing hardly ever lands at all. It's tough to imagine it even being 50 years in the future. Filter cigarettes. Guns still look like guns. I feel like being time travelled back to 1770 would leave me completely disoriented and unfamiliar with just about anything, especially language. Going FORWARD 250 years, you might as well be transported to an alien planet. Budgets, yeah yeah, but...

- Quell is awful. Actress and character both, but the writing is so banal and cliche maybe it's not her fault. Magical fighting skills, the absurd revelation that she invented stacks, and some kind of incredible leadership ability, but I can't help up feel she'd have trouble upsetting me to a bigger order of fries, much less guerrilla war.

- The core concept is probably not utilized as much as it could be. I thought Miriam(is that her name?)'s thing with having an island full of naked clones of herself was an interesting use. Switching bodies seems like something they'd figure out in the first five years of this whatever-tech. Is that as far as the technology ever got? No other creative uses?

- The characterizations in general are kind of clumsy and juvenile. IM AN EMOTIONLESS BADASS WHO'S LEARNING TO LOOOOOVE. Puke. I imagine this is a carry over from the books, but it's just completely lacking in any kind of sophistication. They just layer on more and more STUFF but none of it is really interesting.

- James Purefoy makes every damned thing good. Every scene he's in is just gold, and that goes for literally everything I've ever seen him in, dong notwithstanding. Dude loves to get it out, though. I hope I still have that level of confidence at 53.

- Ortega's really growing on me. Ongoing revelations legitimize some of her actions, and she's an underrated QT.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 25, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ortega is absolutely furious with him in the book for RD'ing the entire Wei Clinic in the book, and the only reason he slides on it is because the Wei Clinic aren't pressing charges. Something about not wanting cops to see their illicit dissection labs and obscenely-illegal virtual torture software, I guess.

I guess the fact that it’s the state and not individuals who “press charges” has been forgotten in our cyberpunk future.

(Yes it is this minor legal faction that punctured my suspension of disbelief)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Caganer posted:

I guess the fact that it’s the state and not individuals who “press charges” has been forgotten in our cyberpunk future.

(Yes it is this minor legal faction that punctured my suspension of disbelief)

Think they explain this in the book in that the people in the clinic were property, so the clinic not pressing charges means the cops can't do anything.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Zil posted:

Think they explain this in the book in that the people in the clinic were property, so the clinic not pressing charges means the cops can't do anything.

Even the doctors? That’s hella cyberpunk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zil posted:

It's more of a political capital "go investigate something else" from on-high, iirc.

AlternateAccount posted:

- The characterizations in general are kind of clumsy and juvenile. IM AN EMOTIONLESS BADASS WHO'S LEARNING TO LOOOOOVE. Puke. I imagine this is a carry over from the books, but it's just completely lacking in any kind of sophistication. They just layer on more and more STUFF but none of it is really interesting.

All your complaints, especially that one, are the fault of the series writers. The book is well worth a read.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

- The 250 year thing hardly ever lands at all. It's tough to imagine it even being 50 years in the future. Filter cigarettes. Guns still look like guns. I feel like being time travelled back to 1770 would leave me completely disoriented and unfamiliar with just about anything, especially language. Going FORWARD 250 years, you might as well be transported to an alien planet. Budgets, yeah yeah, but...

- The core concept is probably not utilized as much as it could be. I thought Miriam(is that her name?)'s thing with having an island full of naked clones of herself was an interesting use. Switching bodies seems like something they'd figure out in the first five years of this whatever-tech. Is that as far as the technology ever got? No other creative uses?

Kovaks is an envoy so he's supposed to be good at adapting to new environments. There are some new things he clearly doesn't know about, like the tech of his bracelet.

All the "creative uses" are hella illegal.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Kovaks is an envoy so he's supposed to be good at adapting to new environments. There are some new things he clearly doesn't know about, like the tech of his bracelet.

All the "creative uses" are hella illegal.

Good points.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I enjoyed this show when I watched it, but holy hell the more I think about it the more I get annoyed about changes from the book. I usually roll with adaptations but they pretty much went to make the worst changes at every step.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

- The 250 year thing hardly ever lands at all. It's tough to imagine it even being 50 years in the future. Filter cigarettes. Guns still look like guns. I feel like being time travelled back to 1770 would leave me completely disoriented and unfamiliar with just about anything, especially language. Going FORWARD 250 years, you might as well be transported to an alien planet. Budgets, yeah yeah, but..
There's a tense scene when Ortega is taken on an elevator by the 'Are You A Believer' dude, to the basement/parking garage and Kovacs has to race down the stairs to try to catch them.
Because 250 years from now in a world with flying cars, floating estates and zero-g fighting, elevators still operate the same as now, and there is no way to stop an elevator once someone's hit the button for Basement level.

quote:

- Quell is awful. Actress and character both, but the writing is so banal and cliche maybe it's not her fault. Magical fighting skills, the absurd revelation that she invented stacks, and some kind of incredible leadership ability, but I can't help up feel she'd have trouble upsetting me to a bigger order of fries, much less guerrilla war.
Yeah I had to put the show on Pause at that reveal and wonder if I should keep watching because now anyone can be anyone. Like Tak could have said< "I wasn't on ice for the entire 250 years, there was about 20 years when I re-animated and became president of Mars but I don't like to talk about it".

quote:

I expected or hoped for a Robert Heinlein All You Zombies twist in which a stack is duped and put into the body of opposite gender sleeve so a meth could effectively have sex with him/herself.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 25, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Do we still need to mark spoilers?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You have stairs because the future is all based on SA forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I enjoyed this show when I watched it, but holy hell the more I think about it the more I get annoyed about changes from the book. I usually roll with adaptations but they pretty much went to make the worst changes at every step.

I went in not knowing there was a book. I felt like they assumed we’d have read it and a couple times felt lost til I cheated and looked at Wikipedia

• Locked thread