Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble getting much value out of a feudal society game in 2.0. It was very exploitative before and for sure needed dealing with, but the new requirements make it always a bad choice I think. If my understanding is correct, you can't get a vassalisation/tributary CB unless you've asked for diplomatic vassalisation/pay tribute already. And you can't ask that unless you're already "superior" to your enemy. I'm probably a bad player but that's not a situation I ever really find myself in until mid-late game, by which point the benefit of having vassals able to colonise is moot because there are no colonisable planets left.

Has anyone found a good way to make it work yet?
Release your own planets as vassals to make it work. Word to the wise: trade them Food and other resources so they can bootstrap quickly.

Note: you can only release one system as a vassal, but you can gift them systems in the trade screen after releasing.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Danny Glands posted:

In my game, all the NPC empires are Slaving Despots. Is this a known bug?

It's PROBABLY random chance, sometimes the dice just rolls that way.

That being said I HAVE seem a direct democracy get the "slaving despot" AI type, which I've never seen before 2.0, so...:shrug:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I have been seeing a lot more Slaving Despots than I used to.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My game is filled with spiritualists of different flavors (including me). Or maybe those are just the ones randomly contacting me from across the galaxy?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fallen empires sure know how to pick 'em. Think they'll be mad if I declare another one a holy world?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda feel like if some heavily damaged enemy fleets have managed to capture a couple of shithole outposts in the middle of my empire by the time the war runs out, that shouldn't count as occupied land. They will get absolutely annihilated as soon as I get over there, that's basically an encircled pocket declaring itself an independent country. You wouldn't stop attacking them when you were winning the war.

That territory can't support those fleets and they can't defend it and the first thing they're going to do is gently caress off home once the truce goes up. It doesn't make sense either realistically or ingame.

In my current war they declared on me, broke my first defense line and got into my empire, but my reaction fleet quickly arrived and retook the front line, refortified, and now I'm just running around trying to recapture the trivial ouposts they took over while running for my starbases. Because while they are clearly beaten I can't actually force them to give up those systems because that requires me to demand surrender from them, which they won't accept despite hitting 100% exhaustion very quickly in the war because I need 150 score to force that, I can only get 100 from utterly crushing them.

If I've crippled their ability to prosecute a war I should be able to tell them to gently caress off out of my space with their lovely fleets and not come back.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 25, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

OwlFancier posted:

I kinda feel like if some heavily damaged enemy fleets have managed to capture a couple of shithole outposts in the middle of my empire by the time the war runs out, that shouldn't count as occupied land. They will get absolutely annihilated as soon as I get over there, that's basically an encircled pocket declaring itself an independent country. You wouldn't stop attacking them when you were winning the war.

That territory can't support those fleets and they can't defend it and the first thing they're going to do is gently caress off home once the truce goes up. It doesn't make sense either realistically or ingame.

In my current war they declared on me, broke my first defense line and got into my empire, but my reaction fleet quickly arrived and retook the front line, refortified, and now I'm just running around trying to recapture the trivial ouposts they took over while running for my starbases. Because while they are clearly beaten I can't actually force them to give up those systems because that requires me to demand surrender from them, which they won't accept despite hitting 100% exhaustion very quickly in the war because I need 150 score to force that, I can only get 100 from utterly crushing them.

If I've crippled their ability to prosecute a war I should be able to tell them to gently caress off out of my space with their lovely fleets and not come back.

Don't worry, you'll hit 100% war exhaustion and they'll get to keep them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

?? ?

bug with rebels mebbe

I like the idea of parasitic fungus democratic crusaders liberating people's bacteria though

quote:

you need to split your fleets so you can maintain territory

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does the AI use jump drives to get past chokepoints? I fear that the 40k+ bastion may not be able to be my only truly fortified station.

It and my 5k fleet got a lot of kills against 26k khan fleets at least!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Don't worry, you'll hit 100% war exhaustion and they'll get to keep them.

I managed to get rid of them thankfully but yeah, while the war exhaustion makes sense in some cases I don't think it does if the enemy clearly has no actual grasp on the systems.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

you need to split your fleets so you can maintain territory

I need the fleet concentrated to effectively defend though. I think cutting off their supply line should really constitute nullifying their ability to claim things. If they'd carved out a coherent advance from their territory then sure, but a completely cut off enemy fleet shouldn't be able to claim nowhere systems by virtue of hiding in them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 25, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Well, thought I was doing good with a Determined Exterminator run, nuking everyone into ash with 3 15K fleets, when the Great Khan of Fuckyou shows up with a 75K fleet leading a couple others so welp. Nice knowing you, robots.

Game is good.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I wish they'd revisit how Gestalt Consciousness/Hive Mind/Machine Intelligence works. I want the option of playing friendly xenophile hive minds that invite other species to live with them for companionship's sake (think like Rogue Servitor but less patronizing) as well as non-collective-consciousness robots who get into robo-slapfights about what to do with the rest of the universe.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Roadie posted:

I wish they'd revisit how Gestalt Consciousness/Hive Mind/Machine Intelligence works. I want the option of playing friendly xenophile hive minds that invite other species to live with them for companionship's sake (think like Rogue Servitor but less patronizing) as well as non-collective-consciousness robots who get into robo-slapfights about what to do with the rest of the universe.

this might be up your alley

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Based on what I read elsewhere, apparently the big hit with War Exhaustion and losing ships in battles is the exhaustion hit is based on twice the lost ships value as a percentage of your Total Naval Capacity.

So if you have a Max Naval Capacity of 50 (like I roughly did when attacking the XTs) and lose a few corvettes and a destroyer totaling 8 Naval Capacity, that is a 32% War Exhaustion blow (8/50=16%*2). Doesn't matter if you started the battle at 30/50 or 50/50 capacity, its based on max.

WHAT

No wonder every war I've ever fought in was an "utter defeat", I operate way over my fleet capacity b/c the economy in this patch is real easy to abuse. Man that's all kinds of dumb.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Man I feel like I just got really lucky. My science ship stumbled into the Dragon's Hoard, and managed to dodge not one, not two, but three shots from it before emergency FTLing away with my level 6 scientist.

Also I'm now 34 years in and have confirmed I'm alone on this spiral arm. Not entirely sure how to go about not hemorrhaging tech progress without slowing to a crawl.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
My race is going to get rid of their fleshy bodies and become robots.

There is no way this can be bad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Am I missing something, or do I have to take out every loving planet with a FTL inhibitor to move anywhere?

I mean sure, I get having them on stations. But WTF am I supposed to do about ones linked to planets? I HAVE to invade to move on?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So this is the first time I've encountered this problem, but when you join a federation and you lose 20% fleet cap, is the intended behavior really that you just scrap one of your fleets instead of just transferring them over to the federation fleet? Because that's dumb. Really, really dumb. "Hey I have a ton of ships that I could just spraypaint "united federation of planets" on, but I guess I'll just melt them into scrap and then build entirely new ships."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Am I missing something, or do I have to take out every loving planet with a FTL inhibitor to move anywhere?

I mean sure, I get having them on stations. But WTF am I supposed to do about ones linked to planets? I HAVE to invade to move on?

just be glad it's not the clusterfuck that is eu4 fort zone of control

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes. They spent the slot and the resources to build it, you have to invade that planet to continue. Hope it doesn't have a few strongholds and a shield!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, that rebel base has an FTL inhibitor, if you can't destroy it then your ships can't pass, makes sense. Alternatively, get your death star in there and remove it the old fashioned way.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From what I understand a fortress on a planet is indestructible (or very, very hard to kill) so I don't think you can bombard it out of existence - though I suppose you could keep bombing the planet into a tomb world and kill everyone that way. Short of that you do need to invade to disable the inhibitor. Or research jump drives and skip past it.

I've yet to have a war last long enough for me to try though...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, I'm doing a War in Heaven and sure enough the planet I'm invading has several Fortresses and a shield. With absolutely no information about how ground combat works it seems like the whole thing is basically a giant slog that takes forever and makes you miserable. I might just start destroying planets to speed things up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Strobe posted:

Man I feel like I just got really lucky. My science ship stumbled into the Dragon's Hoard, and managed to dodge not one, not two, but three shots from it before emergency FTLing away with my level 6 scientist.

Also I'm now 34 years in and have confirmed I'm alone on this spiral arm. Not entirely sure how to go about not hemorrhaging tech progress without slowing to a crawl.

Quoting myself, but lol I just found one of the Precursor artifacts that basically said "yeah they never found anyone either, good luck".

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ascended my hyper Spiritualist birds into robot bodies for a lark, turns out they utterly despise themselves. I'm equal parts horrified and amused at the idea of immortal robot peacocks who are constantly all WHY DID WE DO THIS.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, I'm doing a War in Heaven and sure enough the planet I'm invading has several Fortresses and a shield. With absolutely no information about how ground combat works it seems like the whole thing is basically a giant slog that takes forever and makes you miserable. I might just start destroying planets to speed things up.

World Crackers take like an entire year to fire. I won't say it's not satisfying though and that's still often faster than a ground invasion if the planet has forts.

also Colossi cost like 30k minerals to build on top of the cost of adding a Colossus Assembly Yard to the spaceport.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Will other pops not part of my original species also get changed into cyborgs and eventually robots going down the synthetic ascension path?
Like I uplifted some species and I also have migration treaties with some other species

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm okay with the idea of using planets as roadblocks to stop an invasion, but I was sorta expecting you to have to make sacrifices to do it. Instead all you need is one stronghold and it does everything; makes armies, reduces unrest, inhibits FTL, protects from bombardment AND gives you some unity. It almost seems too easy, though I personally haven't run into anything too egregious yet so take all that with a grain of salt.

I will say though, holy moly I wish army transports got a reinforce option too. The fleet manager essentially removed fiddly fleet micro so now army transports are the only source of it and hoo boy. Create armies on all your planets, shift select every single individual planet's army on the outliner, move them to follow your main transport, and merge everything when they get there. It was bad before but now it really sticks out. It's even worse if you only want to make armies on the planets close to the front lines.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 25, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ascended my hyper Spiritualist birds into robot bodies for a lark, turns out they utterly despise themselves. I'm equal parts horrified and amused at the idea of immortal robot peacocks who are constantly all WHY DID WE DO THIS.

You know the idea of Catholic guilt and original sin? You're gonna have a super interesting cultural mythology for your people several hundred years down the road.

Pigbuster posted:

merge everything when they get there.

If you have all transports selected and you click the "merge" option, they'll automatically route and merge with your largest army transport/the transport with a general in it across star systems.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VirtualStranger posted:

Here are a bunch of galaxy generation settings that I think should be in the game, but currently are not:

100% correct, these are all really good sliders that would greatly add to both customization and replay value.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I'm playing a game as devouring hivemind, and just captured another species' capital.
Even though I should be eating the captured enemies, and it even says I should be getting 8 food from them, they do nothing. They just sit around at 100% unrest, eating my entire food supply.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

IAmThatIs posted:

So I'm playing a game as devouring hivemind, and just captured another species' capital.
Even though I should be eating the captured enemies, and it even says I should be getting 8 food from them, they do nothing. They just sit around at 100% unrest, eating my entire food supply.
Yeah, all sorts of processing seems to be bugged. Was messing around with a fanatical purifier, and putting xenos into labor camps did nothing besides have them eat my food and add unrest. :shrug:

Unrelatedly, has anyone figured out just how much research/unity penalty there is for claiming a system? Does colonizing a planet add to this too or is it just part of dropping the outpost? Since either way it seems a bit annoyingly high, especially considering expansion is throttled by influence anyway, and I wonder if it'd be easy to mod it to favor planets more in the calculation or something.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

IAmThatIs posted:

this is a bug being addressed, the issue is that purging pops always have 100% unrest and that's being incorrectly applied to the yield from being eaten

so your meals are complaining so hard that it makes them inedible, basically

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
So for anyone curious about why you can't build Dyson Spheres, it's probably because you have a research/mining station on all the stars. You can't build a Dyson Sphere on a star with a station on it. Deconstruct the station first.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 25, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

:stare: I had no idea you could actually, like... do normal trade deals with the Fallen Empires. Out of nowhere the Blorg Forerunners offered to give me 21,000 Energy for Teldar Crystals. I say what the hell, sure. Then I go and trade my entire energy surplus back for about 20k minerals from the Blog and the materialist FE (who likes me because of common ethics). These guys are like the new trade stations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

:stare: I had no idea you could actually, like... do normal trade deals with the Fallen Empires. Out of nowhere the Blorg Forerunners offered to give me 21,000 Energy for Teldar Crystals. I say what the hell, sure. Then I go and trade my entire energy surplus back for about 20k minerals from the Blog and the materialist FE (who likes me because of common ethics). These guys are like the new trade stations.

only the xenophile ones, because they think it's cute that you want to deal with them like you're actually people

all of the others would prefer you go away, please

Asimo posted:

Yeah, all sorts of processing seems to be bugged. Was messing around with a fanatical purifier, and putting xenos into labor camps did nothing besides have them eat my food and add unrest. :shrug:

Unrelatedly, has anyone figured out just how much research/unity penalty there is for claiming a system? Does colonizing a planet add to this too or is it just part of dropping the outpost? Since either way it seems a bit annoyingly high, especially considering expansion is throttled by influence anyway, and I wonder if it'd be easy to mod it to favor planets more in the calculation or something.

2% per system, 20% per planet (reduced to 16% with expansion traditions)

it's honestly not a huge problem most of the time; expanding is still the correct choice, usually. planets, especially, are less bad than they seem; you can generally break even on unity and pops are an important source of starbase capacity, which will then let you use starbases more freely both for defense and economic purposes.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 25, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Normal AI empires seem willing to piss minerals and energy at you for strategic resources too. Now that there's fewer of them they're a ticket to quite a bit of income.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Roadie posted:

Reposting this from the last thread:

VirtualStranger posted:

There should be organic Hive Mind versions of the Driven Assimilators and Rogue Servitors.

The equivalent for the Servitors would essentially be a "nice" hive mind that is content to let any non-hive-minded pops stay and be taken care of by its drones as long as they don't start asking for any silly things like "rights" or "political representation". They would function like bio-trophies currently do; sit on their reservations and generate Unity.

My personal idea for the Assimilators is basically a form of sapient infectious disease that seeks to "infect" new hosts and turn them into its mindless drones. Whenever it conquers a new world, the inhabitants are exposed to the disease and their minds and bodies are eventually taken over by the hive mind.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Can't non-Devouring Swarm hive minds get a tech that lets them assimilate people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Er, is it just me, or are the ion cannon stations for starbases... missing their weapons? I don't see a damage stat for them and when I inspect one I built the weapon slot's empty.

edit: nevermind, the damage's showing up now. That was weird.

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 25, 2018