Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Aw, it seems you can't de-hivemind pops from the Synthetic Dawn empires. I turned my entire empire into robots, which let me interact with the Determined Exterminators who had been raggin' on me all game. Turns out they were pretty tired of being a galactic whipping boy, and they were more than happy to be my protectorate. I integrated them with the hope of turning every Honeybot into a true individual, like I'd done for my own mining robots, but as soon as I finished integrating them, they started disassembling and I had no way to stop the purge. Now all the bees are dead, again. :(

E: Also, if you have a fleet en route to attack a target, and they take over a system with an FTL inhibitor that makes direct pathing impossible, the fleet will automatically switch to jump drive mode to jump straight into the enemy fleet and fight while penalized (and fleets ordered to follow the attacking fleet will not jump along). It'd be nice if this weren't automatic!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Fintilgin posted:

I'm sort of amazed that some of these event chains are still so screwy. Seems like they must be pushing the limit of what the event engine was designed to do...?

In Stellaris events definitely interfere with, and rely on, more complex parts of the game state than was usually the case in, say, EU3. It's not unusual for a bug to be fixed twice in the last stretch of development and then still pop up after release somehow. :shrug:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LordMune posted:

In Stellaris events definitely interfere with, and rely on, more complex parts of the game state than was usually the case in, say, EU3. It's not unusual for a bug to be fixed twice in the last stretch of development and then still pop up after release somehow. :shrug:

I get that but it's a lot of events my dude. Placement of quest systems has been screwy since release and you'd be hard pressed to find a person who has seen a precursor line finish more than once.

Also the Cybrex one is infinitely better than any of the other, it's not even close.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Demiurge4 posted:

I get that but it's a lot of events my dude. Placement of quest systems has been screwy since release and you'd be hard pressed to find a person who has seen a precursor line finish more than once.

Also the Cybrex one is infinitely better than any of the other, it's not even close.

It's me, I'm the guy who had it finish twice of two times!

Not even using cheats although I abandoned the idea of achievements until I don't want to keep the console available to fix bugs and such

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just spent the time and effort turning my entire rivals empire into shielded worlds while I watched from above in my pristine habitats. It owned.

Wish i could build more than one Dyson sphere though.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Ever since that patch where they fixed the precursor events I was able to finish it every single time.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Adjusting my expansion pace is proving trickier than I thought and despite systems having more resources overall you can get REALLY unlucky and get a bunch of 2 mineral 2 energy systems right next to your start which will set you back quite a bit. On the other hand you can get a single system with +5 minerals, +7 energy, +6 physics and +9 engineering and then you're on the gravy train.

My first game I went Inward Perfection and Agrarian Idyll just to see how powerful unity production and influence cost reduction can get and it's absolutely crazy. Without rivaling anyone and just having happy factions I was netting about 6 influence per month and starbases cost 45 influence to build, I was also on my second ascension perk by year 2235-ish. Easily first in everything but fleet power.

Second game I went Devouring Swarm to see what maximizing hull points and armor would do. Expansion is sloooooow and then I realized that purging pops is bugged which kind of makes playing Devouring Swarm feel pointless? I was like heck yeah a boost to food and society research is exactly what I need but then my food went into the negative and I got no research bonus after easily beating up a neighbor. On the plus side my corvettes have almost as much hullpoints as my enemies destroyers and regenerate p. fast so that's cool.

Tech cost per system feels harsher than it is in my experience, unless you get really unlucky and don't get any research nodes. However, going wide unless you've got traits and civics/ethics that boost unity the unity cost increase when expanding feels VERY steep. Influence cost reduction is also very strong and will be the deciding factor whether you're hurting for minerals or influence to expand with. My Agrarian Idyll can't build starbases fast enough to make a dent in my influence while the Devouring Swarm is swimming in minerals but is taking an age to backfill all the little poo poo systems where the pirates spawn.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Which traditions do people recommend out of the gate? I've been favouring discovery as the first one as it'll get less useful once there's nothing left to scan, but I could see something like Expansion or even Supremacy if you're boxed in.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Which traditions do people recommend out of the gate? I've been favouring discovery as the first one as it'll get less useful once there's nothing left to scan, but I could see something like Expansion or even Supremacy if you're boxed in.

I'm a science kind of guy, so I always go Discovery first, too. Followed by Expansion, then Prosperity.

Of course I tend to play with huge maps and only 6-12 empires across those thousands of stars, so I also tend to have lots of time to slowly build my empire before I encounter potential enemies. :v:

Still, early game in 2.0 has slowed down enough that I can suggest doing this even on more cramped maps.

Fake edit: I just noticed even your outposts can build a couple defensive platforms. So I don't have to construct huge rear end space forts on every outbound connection? Neat! I guess piracy is dead now.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I'm curious of the reasoning behind the malus here. Is that me considering them fake, or are they considering my synthetic ascended empire fake? :raise:

Honestly I kind of wish it wasn't there. Machine empires being all "Hey buddies, welcome to the club!" when you synthetic ascend would be a neat counterpoint to the spiritualists losing their goddamned minds.

At least exterminators notice you following ascension. :shobon:

E: Also they are a rebellion and a younger empire then mine, and we have the same body... I'm not the fake robot around here!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 25, 2018

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What's everyone doing for fleet composition these days?

I’m currently been having success at the cruiser phase with:

(CR) 5: 1 carrier, 2 ships-of-the-line configured for broadside, 2 ships with artillery bow

(DE) 10 broadside/pickets

(CVTTE) 20 auto-best.

That’s a core fleet and I have one close to each potential flashpoint.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m currently been having success at the cruiser phase with:

(CR) 5: 1 carrier, 2 ships-of-the-line configured for broadside, 2 ships with artillery bow

(DE) 10 broadside/pickets

(CVTTE) 20 auto-best.

That’s a core fleet and I have one close to each potential flashpoint.

I'm running 6 swarming close range corvettes, 6 picket guided weapon corvettes, 3 large mount line destroyers (used to be lasers, is now kinetic artillery), 2 line carrier cruisers and 1 artillery carrier battleship. I have 3 of these fleets.

If I need more firepower, they each get two more cruisers and another battleship. In case of a fight over lots of territory without inhibitors, I can break them apart into smaller cruiser-led subfleets to quickly take outposts. Italics is what the early game fleet used to be.

Also it really feels like the economy doesn't keep scaling while upkeep does in the late game. I wish there were like 2-3 tech lines that are basically:

x% reduced upkeep for Starbases and Defense Platforms (Repeatable) - good for: everyone; extra good for: empires that went for all those defensive platform upgrades
x% increased output & x% decreased upkeep for Mining Stations and Research Stations (Repeatable) - good for: everyone; extra good for: wide empires, empires that didn't get many planets
x% decreased upkeep for Ships (Repeatable) - good for: everyone; extra good for: empires that went for increased fleet sizes and naval capacity

The second especially, because mining stations and reserach stations are great in the early game, but eventually they just start to suck. And it's awful that territory stops being a thing you really care about later. Making them scale up later in the game would be awesome.

Defense platform upkeep techs and ship upkeep techs are also needed because there are a ton of ways to specialize in those - rare techs, ascenscion perks, starbase buildings, civics, etc. - but actually using those increases doesn't work because the upkeep is just too drat high. The defense platform max count increases are especially bad - they're essentially traps.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 25, 2018

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Thyrork posted:

I'm curious of the reasoning behind the malus here. Is that me considering them fake, or are they considering my synthetic ascended empire fake? :raise:

Honestly I kind of wish it wasn't there. Machine empires being all "Hey buddies, welcome to the club!" when you synthetic ascend would be a neat counterpoint to the spiritualists losing their goddamned minds.

At least exterminators notice you following ascension. :shobon:

E: Also they are a rebellion and a younger empire then mine, and we have the same body... I'm not the fake robot around here!

They cannot assimilate you if you already become robots

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Bastard raiders coming through my wormhole to blow up my outposts :argh:

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
This game is pretty overwhelming when starting out. Any tips on how to get a good start? Minerals seem to what is most needed when starting out, but I don't want to get too far behind on research. Should you always survey anomalies, even if you have say a 20% chance of failure? And is it worth it to research stuff you find from anomalies, instead of just regular research?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sjonkel posted:

This game is pretty overwhelming when starting out. Any tips on how to get a good start? Minerals seem to what is most needed when starting out, but I don't want to get too far behind on research. Should you always survey anomalies, even if you have say a 20% chance of failure? And is it worth it to research stuff you find from anomalies, instead of just regular research?

You can let an anomaly sit for a bit then come back for it. The chance of failure is partly based on the level of the scientist and they level up as they survey or eat anomalies. If it's greater than 10% I'll usually let it sit.

The game does a pretty good job of not giving you lovely starts; it actually guarantees a few habitable planets close to you even if habitable planets are set to scarce. Your home world is generally pretty rich.

You're right about minerals; you want to focus on minerals in the early game as you need them to build basically everything. Do you want more science? You need minerals to build and upgrade labs. Need more energy? Guess what? MINERALS! Do you want to expand? Minerals again.

The best thing to do is just play the game and futz around and see what things do.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So the Great Khan is busy pushing my poo poo in and alone has a fleet triple mine. Is there a "swear fealty" option that will show up?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Unable to play because of traveling, I'm theory crafting instead and a question has popped into my head:

So now that planetary output edicts are no longer a thing, is there any point to specializing planets?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

Unable to play because of traveling, I'm theory crafting instead and a question has popped into my head:

So now that planetary output edicts are no longer a thing, is there any point to specializing planets?

I think only if the planet has a modifier, or if you want to play the intense micro of gene or robo modding pops to have bonuses.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

One thing that has always confused me about this game, and also something that seems to change in almost every patch, is the efficacy of missiles vs. point defense.

Can someone explain, without going into the math, if bringing missiles to a fight where you have as many Guided slots as the enemy has PD slots is worth it? Where is the break point of missiles vs. PD where missiles are negated as a weapon?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Sjonkel posted:

Minerals and influence are your two biggest early-game resources. There's not a ton you can do about influence at first, but tech and internal politics makes that much more manageable after a decade or two. You can and should be expanding your mineral income as fast as possible.

Energy is also important, but until much later in the game it functions more as a soft cap for how big your empire can be than as a currency. Later on you'll be using it in great amounts to terraform planets, buy stuff from enclaves, and if spiritualist breaching the Shroud. Until then, just focus on keeping a net positive and let it tick up.

It is usually worth it to do special projects (I assume that's what you meant), and you'll need to get familiar with the event chains and the situations that trigger them to get a sense of when they can be ignored for awhile. Do them, but with an eye towards identifying what you can put off until you have a bigger research base and can blaze through them in weeks.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Bholder posted:

They cannot assimilate you if you already become robots

The Exterminators dislike me for the same reason, so it ain't that.

Or I guess you could stretch the reasoning thinly enough to say they're sad they don't get to murder me now, but uuuuh.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

ulmont posted:

So the Great Khan is busy pushing my poo poo in and alone has a fleet triple mine. Is there a "swear fealty" option that will show up?

Yes, if there's a Great Khan you just contact his empire and one of the options is "I want to become a Tributary".

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
I take back whatever glibness I had about using the marauders to my advantage. I'm constantly having them tear their way thru my borders and completely wrecking my economy, leaving me just enough time to rebuild before they do it again. This is hell.

pod6isjerks fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 25, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ulmont posted:

I'm trying that "modest-sized spiritualist empire" thing and have a perfect starting location except for, uh, one thing

both of the marauder clans border it directly despite its modest size, one of which is in the middle of loving nowhere

i have some concerns about the midgame

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

fantastic in plastic posted:

My empire is at war. I've planted my flag in 4 enemy systems, conquered an enemy planet, and made their fleet retreat in shame. Why am I losing the war by 60%?

War exhaustion doesn't work as a war score in the traditional paradox sense. You're winning the war, but you're close to being forced to end it by the defenders because of the ship losses you have taken. Winning battles isn't important, only ships that you've lost matters. You're probably at a high war exhaustion because you lost ships assaulting a station, while losing a station doesn't really affect the enemy's war exhaustion.

When you hit 100% war exhaustion and the defenders take a Status Quo peace, you'll keep all of the systems you controlled and claimed. If the AI thought it was winning the war, it wouldn't take the status quo until you forced them to 100% exhaustion.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ulmont posted:

If you diplo-contact the Khan (click on their little flag on an owned star system, or go through the Contacts screen), you have the option of "discussing surrender" which gives you a pretty good overview of what surrendering entails - mostly if I recall correctly giving up a percentage of your resource income and naval capacity in exchange for being denoted a tributary. You still keep your independence and territories not already lost to the Horde, though I'm not sure if you lose diplomatic freedom. After the Khan dies (and he will eventually, of old age if nothing else) the Horde will go through SOME form of political upheaval that should allow you to break free if you so desire.

Also when discussing surrender, you have the option of telling the Horde "Actually, we meant the terms of YOUR surrender." There are absolutely no negative consequences for this whatsoever.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Is the option to demand an empire become your vassal bugged or is the tooltip inaccurate? The tooltip suggests that you should unlock the option once you start the domination tree but it’s still greyed out for me.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Blorange posted:

War exhaustion doesn't work as a war score in the traditional paradox sense. You're winning the war, but you're close to being forced to end it by the defenders because of the ship losses you have taken. Winning battles isn't important, only ships that you've lost matters. You're probably at a high war exhaustion because you lost ships assaulting a station, while losing a station doesn't really affect the enemy's war exhaustion.

When you hit 100% war exhaustion and the defenders take a Status Quo peace, you'll keep all of the systems you controlled and claimed. If the AI thought it was winning the war, it wouldn't take the status quo until you forced them to 100% exhaustion.

Adding to this:

While war exhaustion could use a numbers pass and probably be made a bit less extreme, I think at least 50% of the issues people are seeing is just mentally adjusting from Stellaris < 2.0's obliterative hellwars to 2.0's smaller back and forth land grabs.

Stellaris wars are now less WW2 (decisive battles and total warfare) and more Vietnam (limited warfare with strong public backlash).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GreyjoyBastard posted:

both of the marauder clans border it directly despite its modest size, one of which is in the middle of loving nowhere

i have some concerns about the midgame

That's exactly the situation I was in.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

pod6isjerks posted:

I take back whatever glibness I had about using the marauders to my advantage. I'm constantly having them tear their way thru my borders and completely wrecking my economy, leaving me just enough time to rebuild before they do it again. This is hell.

Pirates need nerfed. Appear every few minutes on the edge of your borders.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
FLEEING AGGRESSORS

*construction ship moves to the lane the hostile ships just emerged from*

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Also, a weird thing just happened. My baby fleet of about 3k fleet power got caught by a 12k marauder fleet and got wiped out, and then suddenly my food stockpile of 200 went straight to zero. Is that a bug or is there some kind of explanation? I think this run is probably toast.

For some good news, while the Tiny Outliner, etc mods haven't been officially updated to 2.0 yet, they seem to work anyway. A big help with all that info to keep track of.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I also think it's kinda crap that the admiral is assigned to a ship, it makes such a huge difference in everything that once the admiral poofs the whole fleet vanishes, and it's not like you can control this. The game just arbitrarily decides "hey, this ship has the admiral".

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Posted this in the last thread, reposting here.

The raiders from the mid game event where they unite are pushing my poo poo in. I'm part of a federation with 3 other AIs who seem to be content with having them wreck my stuff. How do I get them to come help me out? UI instructions may be necessary, this is a Paradox game after all.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Conskill posted:

Adding to this:

While war exhaustion could use a numbers pass and probably be made a bit less extreme, I think at least 50% of the issues people are seeing is just mentally adjusting from Stellaris < 2.0's obliterative hellwars to 2.0's smaller back and forth land grabs.

Stellaris wars are now less WW2 (decisive battles and total warfare) and more Vietnam (limited warfare with strong public backlash).

Yeah I think this is honestly the case for a lot of the concern that I've seen. Wars should be small and your objectives should be limited. I've won every war that I've started by targeting just one or two planets and a few of the surrounding systems and I've had no problems with war exhaustion. Most of the time it does not even get close to topping out. Still though, it would be nice to have a mechanic that let you pay some price to reduce it. I can see how someone might just need a little more time to pull themselves out of a defeat or secure a victory.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So whats the point of setting a homebase for a fleet? It's where it'll form up when you initially build it, but is there any point to updating the homebase closer to the front after that?

liveoctopus
Oct 18, 2005

Conskill posted:

Adding to this:

I think it's this. I declared a midgame war on an inferior enemy where I just claimed 5 or 6 systems with two colonies. I grabbed them all before my war exhaustion hit 50% and the enemy surrendered outright, and that was it, war successful. It seems to basically be like EU4 where you expect to only be able to grab a few provinces from a large enemy -- it'll take several wars to conquer them entirely.

I think the intention here is to mentally weigh your odds... you can claim and try to conquer however much you want, but can you actually defeat the enemy fleets and capture those systems before you take too many losses yourself? The numbers definitely need tweaking and the system probably should be less opaque, but I agree with the intent. Basically, the system is allowing you to bite off more than you can chew. If you're getting dumped out of your apocalyptic hellwars too early, scale back your ambitions.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's this Decreased Solar Output malus my capital world's star keeps getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dongattack posted:

So whats the point of setting a homebase for a fleet? It's where it'll form up when you initially build it, but is there any point to updating the homebase closer to the front after that?

Yeah - that's where it goes on return and I think also on upgrade.