Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ulmont posted:

Yeah - that's where it goes on return and I think also on upgrade.

Upgrade just sends it to the nearest starbase. Where's the return option?

And with the marauders eventually they just stop raiding. I've got some contained within my borders and at the "midgame" point they just offered their ships to buy and stopped attacking. Which was a MASSIVE loving relief let me tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

Yeah - that's where it goes on return and I think also on upgrade.

Ah yeah, on return maybe, but it just goes to the nearest station for upgrades.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Alright, Nomads have turned up, flown to a star in a neighbouring empire and sat there. I can't contact them and there's no project to research, seems like they are totally broken. Anyone got any advice or could tell me the console commands to fire off the contact event?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Dongattack posted:

So whats the point of setting a homebase for a fleet? It's where it'll form up when you initially build it, but is there any point to updating the homebase closer to the front after that?

One of the dev diaries touched on home bases and promised to talk about their cool features later, but never got around to it. I get the very distinct impression that home bases were intended to be a more involved mechanic, but didn't get fully fleshed out for reasons of time, balance, or "just plain not working."

Off the top of my head, if home bases allowed fleets to operate at reduced maintenance within the range of the home base, that'd be a pretty neat way of creating "regional" fleets intended to operate mostly within a given territory. Difficulties with this include making the home base range clear on an already-crowded UI, working out how to balance the fact that you can just put two starbases next to each other pretty easily, working out whether rebasing should have a cooldown or debuff or what and whether you need a specific module to allow home bases to have an effect, and simply figuring out how to balance a base's range in light of different galaxy sizes so that they're not all-encompassing on smaller maps and hideously ineffective on larger maps.

Very much seems like one of those ideas that look and sound like they'd be really cool, and might actually be quite cool, but have a bunch of unexpected issues in implementation.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Gah...a scientist rolled the psionic trait roughly 2 years after I said "gently caress it" and made everybody cyborgs.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also on the list of random bitching, the way FTL works now has made it basically impossible to finish any events that require construction ships because they time out before you can get one there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My science ship entered the ancient pirate system that was only a few clicks away from my starting position and just disappeared after it started evasive maneuvers. There was no battle report or anything, and the scientist was just sitting comfortably in the leader list.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Any trick for the automated dreadnought? Right now I am just using it as a guard dog for one end of my empire, but eventually I'd like to take it out and move past.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Any trick for the automated dreadnought? Right now I am just using it as a guard dog for one end of my empire, but eventually I'd like to take it out and move past.

I dunno if this really works particularly well, but from what I recall it lacks really long-ranged weaponry, so loading up with X-class or Titan weapons or just plain kinetic artillery on stand-off ships while swarming it with evasion-focused corvettes to tie it up could maybe work well. Better double-check its loadout with sensors to be sure before you commit to that strategy, though.

In general though I feel like the automated dreadnought could use a bit of a balance pass for 2.0. Its weapon loadout allowed it to be a nasty heavy brawler pre-2.0, but post-2.0 it takes up a slot that could be filled in by your own titan with a titan-class weapon, and I don't believe it carries an aura around like your designed titans can either. Then again its design is pretty good for tanking swarms of smaller ships, so maybe that helps make up for it compared to player-designed titans? I haven't had a chance to get it in too many fights yet.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

I hit it with about 35k fleet power and didn't have any problems. Apparently it is shield heavy so I brought mass drivers on my ships.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dongattack posted:

So whats the point of setting a homebase for a fleet? It's where it'll form up when you initially build it, but is there any point to updating the homebase closer to the front after that?

There is a return home button?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

So what's the thread consensus on the Apocalypse DLC? Worth buying right now at full price, or wait for patches/discount?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pmchem posted:

So what's the thread consensus on the Apocalypse DLC? Worth buying right now at full price, or wait for patches/discount?

Buy it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

pmchem posted:

I'm inclined to say that the most important feature of Apocalypse is the Marauder Empires, who can really shake up the mid-game and keep you interested long enough to actually see an end-game crisis instead of getting bored when you've pretty much declared regional dominance. Beyond that, though, Apocalypse's other features are more "nice to have" than really vital - you'll have to decide for yourself how important you find those individual, mostly late-game features. The really big gameplay changes are mostly tied into the free patch, so if that's all you're concerned about you're good to go.

That being said they poured a LOT of resources into the free big gameplay changes, so if you have the money to spare you can consider buying Apocalypse to be subsiding major patches of that nature. Hardly a moral requirement, though.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
It seems that people are properly mad about the 2.0 patch on the reviews section of steam:

what I'm taking from this is people are annoyed that the game has slowed down a lot, FTL bad, marauders OP, got out-maneuvered by the AI fleet that was smaller.
more comedy over at http://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/reviews/?browsefilter=trendweek&snr=1_5_reviews_&p=1

if I understand marauders right, they're meant to be a midgame threat, they showed up and cleared a couple of my systems of stuff to path through a wormhole in one of my systems, and I'm only just getting into the territory of actually being able to oppose them, and even then only over a heavily fortified starhold.

I'm having an absolute blast with this game right now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't get those people

Some stuff in the new Cherryh mechanics needs some tweaks but I generally like it more

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like how troop transports automatically following a fleet jump into a hostile system first and then charge headlong into the enemy defenses, getting blasted to bits before your fleet shows up. Nice job "following" guys :argh:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

GotLag posted:

What's this Decreased Solar Output malus my capital world's star keeps getting?

I THINK that's a new feature in Gulli's planet mod, stars can randomly get increased or decreased output.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So this game is 60% off on steam right now, is it a good game to try for someone who’s never played a 4x before? If so, is there a good beginners intro guide to read before I start?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yes dathaks that is a nice gas giant. I especially like the view of my goddamned homeworld.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dred_furst posted:

I'm having an absolute blast with this game right now.

I'm definitely enjoying it more but I do agree about how slow fleets can be. Now I have to play on Fastest all the time because nothing happens for such large periods of time.

Marauders definitely need sorting though. Them flying through your territory blowing stuff might feel more "real" but it's just loving annoying and I want them to go away!

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
playing a pacifist trade league with gigantic fortress stations and more money than god sure is cool, too bad liberation wars are literally impossible because occupations give zilch and you can't rival empires that would be small enough to make up for it

haven't had a single war that didn't tick up to 100 WE for both sides yet :thunk:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ulmont posted:

Gah...a scientist rolled the psionic trait roughly 2 years after I said "gently caress it" and made everybody cyborgs.

My stellaris_wishlist.txt right now is an expansion/rework of diplomacy, espionage, leaders, and a pass at the trait system. I hate how my field scientists roll worthless science specializations that don't help for surveying or whatever. I also wish there were more individual trait variety in general.

but 2.0 is a sweet change for this game, lmao at all the pubbie review tears

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Yes dathaks that is a nice gas giant. I especially like the view of my goddamned homeworld.

At least you don't have to trek across the galaxy to find it :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

My stellaris_wishlist.txt right now is an expansion/rework of diplomacy, espionage, leaders, and a pass at the trait system. I hate how my field scientists roll worthless science specializations that don't help for surveying or whatever. I also wish there were more individual trait variety in general.

but 2.0 is a sweet change for this game, lmao at all the pubbie review tears

there are a shitload of bugs right now that do kill a lot of the enjoyment, but i'll just wait a month and play rather than leave a review lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gyshall posted:

I hate how my field scientists roll worthless science specializations that don't help for surveying or whatever.
I felt the same, but became enlightened when I realised that the only survey trait worth a slot after late game is the increased anomaly find chance, otherwise surveying's main purpose is to speed-level your stable of +15% research speed tech tree gamers.

Also the anomaly find chance boosters need to go away until rerolls exist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So this game is 60% off on steam right now, is it a good game to try for someone who’s never played a 4x before? If so, is there a good beginners intro guide to read before I start?

It is actually.

The game's tutorial is actually decent. Other than that I'd recommend just diving right in. Worst case scenario is you gently caress up and start over.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Anyone else getting the fartbox anomaly/project all the time? My current game I'm in 2239 and I have had it already 4 times.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
There should be an acheivement for running into Despicable Neutrals. Finally found some!

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Dallan Invictus posted:

> What's this Decreased Solar Output malus my capital world's star keeps getting?

I THINK that's a new feature in Gulli's planet mod, stars can randomly get increased or decreased output.

Correct. A few random stars go into an increased or decreased solar output 'mode' every once and a while. With a temporary buff/debuff to all planets in the system.

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 25, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So I managed to get 50 years into my first 2.0 game before I realized that having marauders wipe out half my infrastructure every year wasn't normal.

Apparently I had a wormhole in the middle of my empire, and wouldn't you know it - the other end was right next to the marauder home system on the other side of the galaxy. So every time one of my ~5 squabbling neighbors decided to pick a fight with another, I had a marauder fleet 3 times as powerful as any other standing fleet carving a path through my empire, bombarding one enemy planet, then carving a path back through. I couldn't interject with my own raids, either, because the AI knows exactly when the marauders are available and can spam it.

So I rerolled without marauders. Game is much better, now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I somehow have a refugee pop from a devouring swarm??

e: IT KEEPS HAPPENING

(It might be related to these guys being beaten up by the great khan)

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 25, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Marauders could do with some sort of bidding mechanic, because there's no indicator for players when they are "done" raiding and be bought again, so the AI just insta-rebuys them, every time.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Are the negative impacts on research and unity from outposts and planets accounted for somewhere in the UI?

For energy and minerals I can see balance sheets that show what's eating them up, but I'm not finding a way to see how research and unity are impacted.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Quinton posted:

Are the negative impacts on research and unity from outposts and planets accounted for somewhere in the UI?

For energy and minerals I can see balance sheets that show what's eating them up, but I'm not finding a way to see how research and unity are impacted.

Hover over the number / number on the research screen for each research.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How are you guys dealing with rebellions now that you can't build defensive armies? I stopped melting all organics down to goop in favor of just eradicating them ASAP cause losing the planets constantly was so annoying. (especially since a big empire would just instantly peacefully absorb them when they flipped)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

DatonKallandor posted:

Marauders could do with some sort of bidding mechanic, because there's no indicator for players when they are "done" raiding and be bought again, so the AI just insta-rebuys them, every time.

Yeah this is a good idea. Love the idea of mercs though because I'm sitting here just pumping out money and paying these schmos to roll my opponents while I maintain smaller (but powerful) fleets myself.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Dongattack posted:

How are you guys dealing with rebellions now that you can't build defensive armies? I stopped melting all organics down to goop in favor of just eradicating them ASAP cause losing the planets constantly was so annoying. (especially since a big empire would just instantly peacefully absorb them when they flipped)

Build a Stronghold, they give -30 unrest as well as 3 defensive armies.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Quinton posted:

If you open the unity screen and hover over the unity on the left side of the bar, you get a breakdown. For research hover over each numerical amount (ie the 0/500 value on the right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

My territory is the only route between two bunches of marauders and a third guy who is apparently really pissing someone off.