Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The best thing about the King Arthur episode is G'Kar becoming his bestie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Narsham posted:

OK, getting increasingly confused by the "Wayne Alexander was the Drazi Ambassador" conversation. I'm pretty certain (and IMDB states) that the only Drazi Wayne Alexander played in B5 was the one in Intersections in Real Time. Alexander played Lorien, Sebastian, G'Dan, and of course the Drahk leader.

Mark Hendrickson and Kim Strauss played the Drazi ambassador

Whoooooops, lol. I knew he did a Drazi now and then and the ambassador seemed like he fit the bill.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Just hit my favorite episode.

Freddy Kruger and Garibaldi hanging out together.
Dummys shooting darts. Marcus throwing down in a fight he cant win for the one.

Steam powered machine gun a bit naff though but I'll forgive it.

Edit: The guy trying to bluff his way into a telepath job is pretty great.

fist4jesus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 24, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fist4jesus posted:

Just hit my favorite episode.

Freddy Kruger and Garibaldi hanging out together.
Dummys shooting darts. Marcus throwing down in a fight he cant win for the one.

Steam powered machine gun a bit naff though but I'll forgive it.

Edit: The guy trying to bluff his way into a telepath job is pretty great.

Here it is, folks. The one person on the planet who liked Grey 17 Is Missing.

E: in order to restore sanity, here's a site selling hoodies with an Earthforce uniform print.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 24, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I mean, I wouldn't call it my favorite, but I remember thoroughly enjoying that episode.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I like all of the episodes. Even the bad ones.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Jedit posted:

Here it is, folks. The one person on the planet who liked Grey 17 Is Missing.
[/url].

Really?
So much happens in it. Its quite full of story and character development.

40:10 - 43:02
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4hu1g2 - One warrior to another.
Garibaldis story topping.

Episode is worth it for that two minutes alone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grey 17's A plot is 17 flavors of terrible, but the B-plot with Neroon is what makes it worth watching. Still a very weak episode in general, though.

Also, Jesus, so many new posts, I thought someone else had died.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Same.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dat fukkin zima sign

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Last time I was in Japan I noticed they still somehow have Zima. I had to get one because of B5.

It was bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Last time I was in Japan I noticed they still somehow have Zima. I had to get one because of B5.

It was bad.

A post/avatar combo for the ages.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Recurring characters we love... the lead telepath from A Race Through Dark Places. He showed up earlier as the only person who'd talk to Garibaldi when his buddy/informant got killed at the end of Season One. I wish they'd brought him back in place of the Byron character; give him literally the same lines and plot beats and nobody would be bitching about the telepath plotline in S5.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Recurring characters we love... the lead telepath from A Race Through Dark Places. He showed up earlier as the only person who'd talk to Garibaldi when his buddy/informant got killed at the end of Season One. I wish they'd brought him back in place of the Byron character; give him literally the same lines and plot beats and nobody would be bitching about the telepath plotline in S5.

That's Giannin Loffler, who was in Stargate.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Timby posted:

Also, Jesus, so many new posts, I thought someone else had died.

That was exactly what I thought.

mllaneza posted:

Agreed.

On that note, I find it rather entertaining that Robin Atkin Downes' credit in Fallout: New Vegas has the tagline 'Don't Call Me Byron.'

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Remember the S1 telepath who had the super serum injected into him, ascended into a magical space god, and gifted Talia with telekinesis? Because I don't think anyone else on that show did. I guess maybe they were going for a Q like being or someone to pop in, offer mystic advice, send them in the right direction etc.

It was a real bad episode, redeemed only because it debuted Bester. Had he not been in it then we'd all regard the episode as the Threshold of the series. Easily and unambiguously the worst.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I recall reading that all that was supposed to pay off with Talia later orln, but it got scrapped when Andrea Thompson left, and the role got shifted to Lyta. The powers Lyta got from the Vorlons would originally have been to Talia from Ironheart.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platonicsolid posted:

I recall reading that all that was supposed to pay off with Talia later orln, but it got scrapped when Andrea Thompson left, and the role got shifted to Lyta. The powers Lyta got from the Vorlons would originally have been to Talia from Ironheart.

This is correct. A few of the dead threads were from main cast leaving the show while some others were due to guests not being available when they were needed again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Midjack posted:

This is correct. A few of the dead threads were from main cast leaving the show while some others were due to guests not being available when they were needed again.

Some of those threads shifted even before S1. The Psi-Corps sleeper agent was originally going to be Laurel Takashima, so Andrea Thompson wanting to leave turned into a happy coincidence.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Some of those threads shifted even before S1. The Psi-Corps sleeper agent was originally going to be Laurel Takashima, so Andrea Thompson wanting to leave turned into a happy coincidence.

Takashima being mind controlled would also be a great excuse for Tamlyn Tomita's acting if The Gathering was any indication of how she would have been on the series.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 25, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

Takashima being mind controlled would also be a great excuse for Tamlyn Tomita's acting if The Gathering was any indication of how she would have been on the series.

I'd have to watch her in something else before I made that leap. A lot of the bad early performances in B5 are clearly down to a combination of the performers being too tentative about how to play in a setting and with a character background they knew almost nothing about and several of the early directors giving them either no help or actively encouraging them to make poor choices.

It's possible the plan was to have her be cool and in control at all times, then have her emerging persona be a raging fanatic. It's a BAD plan, but it's possible that's where they were going. But it's also possible that the actress hadn't the foggiest how to proceed and nobody was giving her any help working things out.

I got curious and looked up performer ages for the year 1994 (when B5 S1 started):
Andreas Katsulas: age 48
Peter Jurasik: age 44
Mira Furlan: age 39
Michael O'Hare: age 42
Jerry Doyle: age 38
Claudia Christian: age 29
Richard Biggs: age 34
Andrea Thompson: age 35

Tomita in 1993 was age 28, BTW. Clearly talent and age aren't the same thing, but if you're not getting the kind of direction you need, age and experience are what's needed to fill in the gaps.

Hmmm...
In their debut year on Star Trek, both Shatner and Nimoy were 35, Deforest Kelley and James Doohan were 46, Nichelle Nichols was 34, George Takei was 29, and (the following year) Water Koenig was 31. Koenig played Bester starting at age 58.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

To be more fair to her than I was earlier she is better in other productions. You are probably correct in that it was a brand new setting and everyone suffered from that.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

I've seen every piece of B5. Crusade. Thirdspace. The Legend of the Rangers. Or so I thought. Then I read this thread and realized I'd missed THE loving PILOT.

I'm watching it now. I'm 6 minutes in.

DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS. WHICH ARE GOOD. WHICH ARE BAD

DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS. ASK YOUR MOM OR ASK YOUR DAD

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgoXZDA7ig

Mill Town fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 26, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh man are you in for a... treat?

B5 getting picked up after that steaming turd is as shocking as TNG making it past season one, in retrospect.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
No, I think it's way more shocking. Even though the seasons are fairly even quality-wise, I think TNG was guaranteed at least a second season no matter what.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh man are you in for a... treat?

B5 getting picked up after that steaming turd is as shocking as TNG making it past season one, in retrospect.

The B5 pilot isn't bad, it's just crude. They found out what they needed to change and they changed it, which is the point of a pilot.

In the UK The Gathering wasn't actually aired until midway through S1, I believe due to a format exclusivity issue as it had been released on home video. I'd already seen it on video, having been made aware of the show by articles on the VFX in Amiga magazines. Didn't make me not want to tune into the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

The B5 pilot isn't bad, it's just crude. They found out what they needed to change and they changed it, which is the point of a pilot.

In the UK The Gathering wasn't actually aired until midway through S1, I believe due to a format exclusivity issue as it had been released on home video. I'd already seen it on video, having been made aware of the show by articles on the VFX in Amiga magazines. Didn't make me not want to tune into the show.

The Gathering is a glacially-slow piece of crap. Quite frankly, there is no sane way it should've gotten green-lit from that for a full series without incriminating photos of one or more studio execs.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Jedit posted:

Really? Because I remember watching it on Channel 4 and then not watching the series proper because it was so bad. It wasn't until I randomly caught an episode from the beginning of Season 3 and really enjoyed it that I went back and watched the rest.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Flatscan posted:

Really? Because I remember watching it on Channel 4 and then not watching the series proper because it was so bad. It wasn't until I randomly caught an episode from the beginning of Season 3 and really enjoyed it that I went back and watched the rest.

Yeah, I remember seeing season 1, then seeing The Gathering show up and being excited that there was more B5 to watch, before gradually realising I was watching a pilot. And it explaining the "There is a hole in your mind" clip they use in season 1.

Was also glad it hadn't been the first thing I'd seen. I mean, "Midnight on the Firing Line" wasn't exactly great, but it showcased a lot of the aspects of the series that really set it apart - interstellar politics, what the station was really for, and the fact that the characters will occasionally go "gently caress it" and strap into a star fury with the express aim of making things explode. Refreshingly anti-Star Trek.

Whereas the pilot just felt like your standard "wrongly accused main character" plot, and never really got exciting.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

So I uh survived The Gathering and now I'm starting a series rewatch. Amazing how much has changed since 1994, when apparently hitting on your coworkers while trapped in elevators with them was a normal and cool thing to do.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Haha this red prop is a solder sucker

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mill Town posted:

So I uh survived The Gathering and now I'm starting a series rewatch. Amazing how much has changed since 1994, when apparently hitting on your coworkers while trapped in elevators with them was a normal and cool thing to do.

Doyle would surprise Andrea Thompson by being behind the elevator doors with no pants on. That was his way of hitting on her.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Timby posted:

Doyle would surprise Andrea Thompson by being behind the elevator doors with no pants on. That was his way of hitting on her.

To be fair, she did marry him afterwards.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Jedit posted:

To be fair, she did marry him afterwards.

And then divorce him shortly after. So maybe the no pants thing was a big clue she missed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've been re-watching the series at lunch, and amusing myself by looking up the guest stars on IMDB. For example, Londo's wife, Timov, was played by Jane Carr who played every upper class English woman ever to appear in a comedy. The doctor with the alien healing punishment device was none other than June Lockhart of Lassie and Lost In Space fame, among many others.

Today I got to COnfessions and Lamentations, and I looked up the Markab doctor. Turns out he played Bishop Brennan on Father Ted, and I cracked up. Which, unfortunately ruined the mood of the episode entirely. He also was Ombudsman Wellington in a few episodes.

Highlights from Father Ted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlfcdtGSUZA

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Mill Town posted:

Haha this red prop is a solder sucker

A lot of the (very roughly) spherical storage containers in the background are a type of composter we had in our backyard when I was a kid, so we always got a laugh when they had a bunch in a scene.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
What episode is this ship from?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Vord posted:

What episode is this ship from?

From that Star Trek and Babylon 5 parody made in Finland, I think?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Jedit posted:

Eh, weren't those storylines pretty much separate? Takashima was supposed to be the traitor that shot Garibaldi in the back, the role that got shifted to a random dude who was in the background of a couple of episodes. There was nothing in the script to say Jack was mind-controlled, he was just a true believer Psi-Corp scumbag. Presumably Takashima would've been the same.

The worst part about the Ironheart episode is that he basically turns into loving God, and everyone just kinds of shrugs and goes "Eh, weird day, huh." and just carry on like nothing happened. It's the kind of thing that would fly in Trek where they meet magical omnipotent beings every other week, but in B5 it felt like a weird tonal misstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Parts Kit posted:

A lot of the (very roughly) spherical storage containers in the background are a type of composter we had in our backyard when I was a kid, so we always got a laugh when they had a bunch in a scene.

IBC tanks are are soooooo much sci-fi.
I have two of them as cheap water tanks, so I notice them all the time.