Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Mostly been using the dashcam to timelapse driving videos though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4sRlUjM5E

this is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

spog posted:

Not to victim blame too much, but that guy was practically invisible.

Zero shoulder rural road at dim twilight? Good time and place to ride a bicycle I say.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

spog posted:

Funny thing: the driver said "I didn't see your light" and I didn't think he HAD a light until I pulled the video and saw it. It's way more visible in the video than it was in real life.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

spog posted:

This.

I would not ride that shoulder in the daytime. Doing it at night with no/a bad light is asking to get hit in a hurry. What the gently caress.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Funny thing: the driver said "I didn't see your light" and I didn't think he HAD a light until I pulled the video and saw it. It's way more visible in the video than it was in real life.

So many bad bike lights out there. People buy $5 lights from amazon and wonder why no one can loving see them. LED lights also go dim rather than just go out like old bulb style lights so people don't realize they need to change the batteries.
A decent rear light costs like $30. People cheap out on the dumbest poo poo.

If you are buying a bike light, the only country I know of that regulates them is Germany, so you can look to see if it is approved by them. Those lights are all really good.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's not like cycling clothing isn't famous for being lurid coloured and reflective anyway.

You may look like a Penis, but you're a very visible penis.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My neighborhood is sufficiently rural to not have sidewalks or streetlights. Quite a few of my neighbors have a really bad habit of walking their (dark colored) dogs in the street after dark, inevitably while wearing black coats and dark pants.

Then there's one guy who has a bright LED light on his dog leash and wears a hi-vis vest over his coat. That guy is awesome. Can see him from the other end of the road no problem.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

It's not like cycling clothing isn't famous for being lurid coloured and reflective anyway.

You may look like a Penis, but you're a very visible penis.

I don't think this guy was wearing anything cycling specific.
I have, among other things, reflective shoes even.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This is neat, but have you played around with even higher compression ratios to make the timelapse itself shorter? I know you're not trying to show this off as something you want everyone to watch but if you drop it down to something like 2-4 minutes, people could actually watch the whole thing. 15 minutes is a really long time for something like this.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

This is neat, but have you played around with even higher compression ratios to make the timelapse itself shorter? I know you're not trying to show this off as something you want everyone to watch but if you drop it down to something like 2-4 minutes, people could actually watch the whole thing. 15 minutes is a really long time for something like this.

Yep; problem is on longer several-hundred-mile drives, it gets sort of incomprehensible to look at. Driving to DC compressed down to 5 minutes nicely using my older shittier dashcam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzyALJc2TCk

So that I'm not cluttering this thread with timelapse tomfoolery, enjoy this gentleman walking beside the road inexplicably freezing and starting to get on down last spring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVjZ2Agm1q4

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yep; problem is on longer several-hundred-mile drives, it gets sort of incomprehensible to look at. Driving to DC compressed down to 5 minutes nicely using my older shittier dashcam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzyALJc2TCk

So that I'm not cluttering this thread with timelapse tomfoolery, enjoy this gentleman walking beside the road inexplicably freezing and starting to get on down last spring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVjZ2Agm1q4

Cool, that did compress nicely! But, have you considered doing this on a sunny day? The extra light might make the video more enjoyable. :v: just kidding, it is really cool. Will have to try that some day.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Another smallish one. I seriously thought I was about to witness a murder when she went for her bag like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufkPYILOX70

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

smax posted:

Another smallish one. I seriously thought I was about to witness a murder when she went for her bag like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufkPYILOX70

I'm really struggling to see what the reason was for going and banging on the car driver's window was. The cyclist felt they stopped too late? The late stop didn't even impede them. I kind of feel like the car had both right of way and the ability to pull fully over the crossing and stop beyond it far enough for any pedestrian traffic to pass them. I've cycled and encountered a late stop many times but stopping my bicycle and half-hearted-vandalising their vehicle was never on my mind, or even necessary. Maybe a light level of 'wanker' motion or a finger or two, but never full on thumping on the window.

It's an odd video when a cyclist rages for no reason like this video shows. I've seen plenty where they're ignored but this one was noticed and given far too much leeway (driver could have easily cleared the crossing and been forward of it for the cyclist passing) and still felt like they should try to punish the car. wtf?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Budgie posted:

I'm really struggling to see what the reason was for going and banging on the car driver's window was. The cyclist felt they stopped too late? The late stop didn't even impede them. I kind of feel like the car had both right of way and the ability to pull fully over the crossing and stop beyond it far enough for any pedestrian traffic to pass them. I've cycled and encountered a late stop many times but stopping my bicycle and half-hearted-vandalising their vehicle was never on my mind, or even necessary. Maybe a light level of 'wanker' motion or a finger or two, but never full on thumping on the window.

It's an odd video when a cyclist rages for no reason like this video shows. I've seen plenty where they're ignored but this one was noticed and given far too much leeway (driver could have easily cleared the crossing and been forward of it for the cyclist passing) and still felt like they should try to punish the car. wtf?

Yeah, I got nothing. Some people are just looking for an excuse to be pissed off, I guess.

It isn’t even a bike crossing, it’s an uncontrolled pedestrian crossing (though I’d say a lot of cyclists don’t know the difference).

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Budgie posted:

People get really weird about cyclists and crosswalks.
I have no problem with someone riding across the crosswalk IF THEY STOP FIRST AND WAIT FOR TRAFFIC TO STOP. Just randomly darting across the crosswalk is stupid, whether you're on a bike, skateboard, heelys, etc. Stop, make sure traffic sees you and stops, then proceed on your favourite method of transport.

Hell, if someone rides across, they're spending less time in the road and everyone can get on with their day. But for gently caress sake, just like stopping your bike at a stop sign, stop before you cross and make sure it's safe. Your neon green bike shorts (or whatever the term is) won't reduce a car's stopping distance to 3 feet.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

/\/\/\ Agreed with this, I'm totally happy to wait for a couple of cars to go by to keep traffic flowing, and ensuring your safety as a pedestrian is your responsibility as well. That said, too many drivers don't understand that yield to pedestrians is a real thing, especially in a crosswalk. This video isn't a good illustration of that though, the driver stops.

smax posted:

It isn’t even a bike crossing, it’s an uncontrolled pedestrian crossing (though I’d say a lot of cyclists don’t know the difference).
No argument about your second point, lots of cyclists suck, but as far as I can see from the video the yield markings on the pavement count as controls.

Budgie posted:

Yeah, you can see the yield markings on the pavement after the car pulls through, so it's pretty clear the car is supposed to yield to peds/bikes there, before the crossing, but that doesn't really explain the level of hostility. I bike almost exclusively, and I can't imagine getting that mad about it. It seems obvious to me that there was no intent there. I had been assuming the driver yelled or gestured at the biker, but who knows?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 22, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
New aussie one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGM8onreGcU
Only got as far as 2min08s and WTF

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Grumpwagon posted:

No argument about your second point, lots of cyclists suck, but as far as I can see from the video the yield markings on the pavement count as controls.

I probably didn’t use the best phrasing there - what I meant was there are no lights or anything to explicitly define who has the right of way aside from the defined cross walk and signage. Pedestrians obviously have the right of way in all cases there, but they’d be crazy to just assume it’s safe and barge out into the road in the middle of traffic.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Fo3 posted:

New aussie one

7:52 in is magical.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nocheez posted:

7:52 in is magical.

7:51 is pretty good too.

"Oh yeah I was jay-skateboarding across the street so I almost got run over, but let me take a photo of your license plate like you did something wrong."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fo3 posted:

New aussie one

The left turn driving lesson was interesting, so were the reversing out to traffic (looks like no one was at the wheel) incidents

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I think my K1S is dead for good and I didn't feel like spending $300+ on a new one so I decided to give the Mini 0906 a go. For a 2x 1080p system it looks like the best option for your money. I'll report back with more once I've tested it a bit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

The left turn driving lesson was interesting, so were the reversing out to traffic (looks like no one was at the wheel) incidents

Guess that Aussie meme I saw really was true. When they're alone in their cars every other word is 'oval office', but the one time they actually get into a shouting match with another driver he calls him 'mate' :lol:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
'Mate' is a killing insult in those circumstances.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This is cool, really soothing with smooth roads. I've been meaning to do more of these too. Here's one I did a few years back in the largest jeep convoy I've ever been in (too big). Part of the Mojave Trail from morning to night in heavily compressed, jarring 720p. It doesn't work as well as smooth roads and it's sped up too much probably: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEV7gLSkrmE
e: alternate title: "Air filter Guantanamo"

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cartoon posted:

'Mate' is a killing insult in those circumstances.

Mate'Dib

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I think my K1S is dead for good and I didn't feel like spending $300+ on a new one so I decided to give the Mini 0906 a go. For a 2x 1080p system it looks like the best option for your money. I'll report back with more once I've tested it a bit.

Is there a version without gps?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

tuna posted:

This is cool, really soothing with smooth roads. I've been meaning to do more of these too. Here's one I did a few years back in the largest jeep convoy I've ever been in (too big). Part of the Mojave Trail from morning to night in heavily compressed, jarring 720p. It doesn't work as well as smooth roads and it's sped up too much probably: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEV7gLSkrmE
e: alternate title: "Air filter Guantanamo"

Seems pretty stable for me, given the terrain; you run a GPS track during that? I'm a sucker for off-road GPS tracks.

I used to use a compact camcorder on a weird suction cup/1/4" thread screw mount that was pretty shaky. I post this partly as example, partly because it's probably the raddest city entrance in the country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ScB9EpnBA

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fo3 posted:

New aussie one

Geez, 124.9c petrol price at the 11min mark isn't bad! :v: (Not even joking; it's almost constantly at 149.9 where I live...would've loved that)

In other news, I'm finally getting my my dashcam! :toot: Should have it in a week or so, so hopefully I won't witness or be involved in any collisions in the meantime, heh.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I've definitely found a bug in the Roav C1, and an annoyance that caught me by surprise. Haven't submitted these to Anker yet, but..

Short intro: I do delivery, and generally shut my car off when I leave it for any reason. The Roav C1 runs for 60 seconds after losing power.

Bug: If the dashcam gets power just as it's shutting down (at the end of the 60 seconds), it doesn't come back on. I have to unplug it for a few seconds, then plug it back in. This isn't always obvious, as it's completely hidden from me behind the mirror - I have to listen for the startup jingle. Generally, if I hear the shutdown jingle just as I'm turning the key again, I know I have to unplug it and plug it back in.

Annoyance: Happened to glance at it the other day, and it was popping up "PLEASE FORMAT SD CARD" when it booted. Guessing the SD card is failing, since it's not a high endurance card (haven't had the message since formatting it again... yet), but it would be really nice to get an audible alert if a warning is popping up (it gives a verbal alert if the card isn't inserted, you'd think they could do similar for other storage errors). Again, mine is completely hidden from my view when I'm driving, unless I lean all the way forward (past what the seat belt will allow) and look up at it. Very much not something I can do while driving, and since I'm doing delivery in a car with 3 pedals, if it's a really busy day, I'm already moving again as soon as the engine fires

No idea if this affects the other Roav models; the bug is very likely to be something that few people will ever encounter. I plan to submit both of these issues to Anker though; they're generally pretty drat responsive.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Not that I could see, I'm definitely going to be turning it off in the menus but I couldn't find a version that came without it.

Edit: so I'm just a dummy and didn't look hard enough, Veckle has the non-gps model available. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SR5KH8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_slVKAb8X54A9M

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 25, 2018

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So I've definitely found a bug in the Roav C1, and an annoyance that caught me by surprise. Haven't submitted these to Anker yet, but..

Short intro: I do delivery, and generally shut my car off when I leave it for any reason. The Roav C1 runs for 60 seconds after losing power.

Bug: If the dashcam gets power just as it's shutting down (at the end of the 60 seconds), it doesn't come back on. I have to unplug it for a few seconds, then plug it back in. This isn't always obvious, as it's completely hidden from me behind the mirror - I have to listen for the startup jingle. Generally, if I hear the shutdown jingle just as I'm turning the key again, I know I have to unplug it and plug it back in.
This is a common issue on dashcams I guess, my a118s do it too. I thought it was just my computer destroying forcefield in effect. Usually happens to me if I stall it trying to turn around in the woods behind my house because my neighbor is blocking the road.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

No idea if this affects the other Roav models; the bug is very likely to be something that few people will ever encounter. I plan to submit both of these issues to Anker though; they're generally pretty drat responsive.

Chiming in with Kastien to say my G1W does the same thing.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 26, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My G1W does the same thing, though it usually bootloops if that happens rather than just refusing to start. I hear the jingle repeatedly until I unplug it for a minute.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

cakesmith handyman posted:

The mini 0906 has GPS overlay turned off by default, at least mine did.
If you're extra paranoid, you can always put kapton tape over the GPS signal pins on the base...

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Seems pretty stable for me, given the terrain; you run a GPS track during that? I'm a sucker for off-road GPS tracks.

I used to use a compact camcorder on a weird suction cup/1/4" thread screw mount that was pretty shaky. I post this partly as example, partly because it's probably the raddest city entrance in the country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ScB9EpnBA

Nah unfortunately I never got the GPS logging to work properly on that cam (I think it was an 0802). Now that you've mentioned it though, I should start keeping the offroad GPS tracks in future.

Suction cap mounts always fail me - jeezeless things.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wolrah posted:

My G1W does the same thing, though it usually bootloops if that happens rather than just refusing to start. I hear the jingle repeatedly until I unplug it for a minute.

My A118C does a similar thing. If I don't let it boot up fully when I let the glow plugs cycle in my truck, it'll turn off when I turn the key, but won't power back on. Just gotta remember that in the winter, it's fine in the summer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

Chiming in with Kastien to say my G1W does the same thing.

Yeah, but the G1W only runs about 15 seconds after key-off. The Roav runs for a full minute, which is often long enough that I've already dropped off that particular order and about to start the car right when it shuts off.

It doesn't help that I have it mounted where I can't see it, and I'm not usually listening for the jingle. :( I need to get another mounting plate and move it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Fo3 posted:

New aussie one

The rear dashcam at 3:38 is such a nice surprise. I'm so relieved knowing the bird is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Got tired of getting almost owned by idiots in traffic every morning so I just bought a dashcam, a Viofo A119S. Quick questions:

1) How long does the "super capacitor" battery last? Am I going to want this always wired to power or just occasionally?

2) I have a 32gb microsd lying around, how much 1080p/60fps will this store? Will I want a bigger one?

Thanks!