Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Minor correction, but the Gobbledy Gooker's theme is "Turkey in the Straw."

Warrior referring to Tito's fanbase as Arribaderci is something that always sticks with me because as far as I know, it was never brought up again. Was Warrior just being weird? Did Tito beg him to namedrop Arribaderci in hopes that it would catch on? We may never know.

So next up is Royal Rumble 1991. Great starter PPV for a new fan, but probably doesn't hold up otherwise. Despite its flaws, it does have the best poster in WWE history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh, this is the show that marks something you might like or might make you quit this project, it could go either way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
1991 is a really interesting WWF year, there's a mix of great stuff along with the most offensive main event angle WWF ever did, arguably.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Without looking it up, what was Owen Hart doing in the the WWF at that time(1988)? How did he get ranked so high, yet I don't remember anything about him in the WWF until the mid 90s? I know he was the Blue Blazer, early on, but I didn't think it was anything of note.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Hockles posted:

Without looking it up, what was Owen Hart doing in the the WWF at that time(1988)? How did he get ranked so high, yet I don't remember anything about him in the WWF until the mid 90s? I know he was the Blue Blazer, early on, but I didn't think it was anything of note.

He was also doing Stampede and Japan iirc, but someone can give more specific details

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1991 is a really interesting WWF year, there's a mix of great stuff along with the most offensive main event angle WWF ever did, arguably.

I'm going to talk about it as it goes on to add extra context to the shows and angles, but there's this very specific style of storytelling that WWF does starting from the end of WrestleMania 7 and ending at WrestleMania 8 that I always found interesting. It's something I've never seen anyone call out, but Vince definitely had a set concept of how to get people invested in his main event angles until the concept crashed hard and he moved on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Akira Maeda of Japan's UWF took Wrestler of the Year, with Ric Flair taking 2nd, New Japan's Tatsumi Fujinami taking 3rd, and WWF's Randy Savage and Ted DiBiase taking 4th and 5th.

Savage and DiBiase as the two best WWF seems fair, no complaints here

Best Heel ... Rick Rude taking 5th.

MY BOY

The Midnight Express would also win Tag Team of the Year, where WWF was only represented by Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, who were only in WWF really for the tail end of 1988.

Even the 80s fans ignore the Rougeaus :(

WWF would, however, make its mark in Most Unimproved, with Bam Bam Bigelow taking first, Greg Valentine taking 2nd, and The Anabolic Warrior taking 5th.

Yet more proof that I am right about Greg and he should be given a one way ticket to irrelevance at the first opportunity

Who is The Anabolic Warrior, you may wonder?

Why, it's Dave Meltzer's pun name for The Ultimate Warrior, and yes, he used it for Warrior in the 1988 Wrestling Observer Awards. Every. Single. Time. We should retroactiely apologize to TNAMecca for using Shave Seltzer, because such a clever insulting name is simply in the spirit of Dave himself. We thought we were siding with Dave with our mockery of the name, but in reality we were mocking the next Dave Meltzer. It's us, we're the TNAMecca of the future.

God, that's really bad. The nickname doesn't even rhyme!

Dusty Rhodes won another award, Most Overrated! The Anabolic Warrior finished 2nd, Hulk Hogan 3rd, and Dino Bravo 5th.

It's like a Who's Who of people I think suck. Although I'm surprised to see Dino in 5th place. Surely nobody rates him in the first place?

Worst Wrestler went to The Anabolic Warrior, with Andre getting second, THE JUNKFOOD DOG (yes, JYD) getting 3rd, and Dino Bravo getting 4th.

More Dino hate yesssssssssssss

Worst Tag Team went to the duo of Boris Zhukov and Nikolai Volkoff, with 3rd going to The Powers of Pain.

And yet Demolition are all right? I don't want to know how that works

Mr. Fuji can add another Worst Manager to his trophy case.

He's got to have won it every year at this point, surely?

Second place went to The Anabolic Warrior vs. Hercules from Wrestlemania, Third place went to The Anabolic Warrior vs. The Honky Tonk Man from Summerslam (which is complete bullshit by the way, that match was perfect). Fourth place was a match between The Junkfood Dog and Andre that happened in Paris, and fifth place was Rick Rude vs. Jake Roberts from Wrestlemania.

Wow, gently caress this. Warrior/Honky was exactly how it should have been and Rude/Jake wasn't great but it was perfectly fine. There's been so much worse from the WWF alone.

Worst Feud went to Tully Blanchard vs. The Midnight Rider (I believe this was Dusty Rhodes). Second place went to Jim Duggan vs. Dino Bravo, third to Brutus Beefcake vs. Ron Bass (somewhere little J-Ru is weeping), and fourth place went to Junkfood Dog vs. Ron Bass.

Oh yeah, there was that clip showing a Burtus/Bass feud on one show. I totally forgot about that. Wow, dodged a bullet with that one.

Dr. Death Steve Williams won Worst on Interviews. Second place went to The Anabolic Warrior, and fifth place went to Andre.

Observer fans are just mad they don't understand space language.

Worst Gimmick went to the Midnight Rider. Second place went to Brutus Beefcake, third went to AKEEM THE AFRICAN DREAM, and fourth to MR. PERFECT.

Only a little worse than Mr. Perfect

WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress?

Screw everything, these awards are bullshit

Biggest Shock of the Year went to JOSE GONZALES MURDERING BRUISER BRODY IN THE SHOWER WHAT THE gently caress WRESTLING

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic. Second place was WWC STILL EMPLOYING JOSE GONZALES

:stare::stare::stare:

Man, gently caress this carny sport

Third was WWF ignoring Adrian Adonis's death on TV

Wait, that's why Adonis stopped showing up on PPV. Man, I thought they'd just canned his rear end for being poo poo. Well that sucks because now I feel guilty for being glad he's gone.

Jose Gonzales, the man who murdered Bruiser Brody in the shower, is only the FOURTH MOST DISLIKED WRESTLER?

Internet fans are absolute worst. You should know this, you are one :v:

DeathChicken posted:

Oh, this is the show that marks something you might like or might make you quit this project, it could go either way

Ooh, I'm curious now. Please let me know what you're talking about once it happens.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Wait, that's why Adonis stopped showing up on PPV. Man, I thought they'd just canned his rear end for being poo poo. Well that sucks because now I feel guilty for being glad he's gone.

Keep that in mind when Dino stops showing up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Kind of both, Adonis was canned, then he died in a car crash a year later.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gavok posted:

Keep that in mind when Dino stops showing up.

Godammit :negative:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

Minor correction, but the Gobbledy Gooker's theme is "Turkey in the Straw."

Warrior referring to Tito's fanbase as Arribaderci is something that always sticks with me because as far as I know, it was never brought up again. Was Warrior just being weird? Did Tito beg him to namedrop Arribaderci in hopes that it would catch on? We may never know.

So next up is Royal Rumble 1991. Great starter PPV for a new fan, but probably doesn't hold up otherwise. Despite its flaws, it does have the best poster in WWE history.

If Warrior says something weird, it's usually him.

Shiki Dan posted:

https://youtu.be/P4zYfaTBLk0

I seriously have to wonder if you were watching the same match, here.

Tom MaGee has hands down the most laughable offense out of ANYone I've seen in professional wrestling outside of maybe Jenna Morasca (not a trained worker), Tammy Sytch (again, not trained), Raja Lion and Dragon Dragon (who's intentionally meant to be funny).
He POSES in lieu of doing transition moves.
The difference is this guy is supposed to be a serious worker, and looks like someone Vince McMahon would blow loads over, and in the right place at the wrong time (anytime in the 1980's WWF) he could have gotten a major push.

Tom Magee, or "Mega Man" Magee as he was billed when I saw him at WWF house show in the 80s was indeed someone Vince had high hopes for. The apocryphal story goes is Bret Hart carried him so well in a match that Vince had thought he had found the next big thing. Then when Mega Man Magee was in the ring with someone who wasn't Hart, his limitations were plainly obvious, and he didn't stick around for long

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Tom Magee, or "Mega Man" Magee as he was billed when I saw him at WWF house show in the 80s was indeed someone Vince had high hopes for. The apocryphal story goes is Bret Hart carried him so well in a match that Vince had thought he had found the next big thing. Then when Mega Man Magee was in the ring with someone who wasn't Hart, his limitations were plainly obvious, and he didn't stick around for long

Magee's best match was against Brian Bosworth in the hit action film Stone Cold. The RiffTrax for which is on Amazon Prime!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Shiki Dan posted:

https://youtu.be/P4zYfaTBLk0

I seriously have to wonder if you were watching the same match, here.

Tom MaGee has hands down the most laughable offense out of ANYone I've seen in professional wrestling outside of maybe Jenna Morasca (not a trained worker), Tammy Sytch (again, not trained), Raja Lion and Dragon Dragon (who's intentionally meant to be funny).
He POSES in lieu of doing transition moves.
The difference is this guy is supposed to be a serious worker, and looks like someone Vince McMahon would blow loads over, and in the right place at the wrong time (anytime in the 1980's WWF) he could have gotten a major push.

It should also be known that the crowd was laughing at how bad this match was

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IDK if this is a "japanese crowds are silent and respectful" stereotype but one thing i've heard about stuff like a Warrior match i've seen in Japan is that if they do the "wooooOOOOOOOH" thing leading up to a wrestler's big move it's usually sarcastic/derogatory

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Davros1 posted:

If Warrior says something weird, it's usually him.

So was this a case of they wanted him figure things out on his own or they didn't want to bother training him?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Godammit :negative:

To be fair, Dino's death is much, much more sordid than Adonis'. Adonis was in a car accident. Bravo was killed in a MOB HIT.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Tito Santana was born in Texas.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Since this is basically the end of the decade (1990 WWF has a lot more in common with the 80s than the upcoming years), Rarity, what would be your top 5 favorite WWF PPV matches thus far?
Not even the ones that would necessarily be "technically" the best by star ratings or historical value, but the ones you enjoyed the most for any and all reasons.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Xerzes posted:

Tito Santana was born in Texas.

...Kayfabe is dead

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Tito was born in Mission, Texas which is quite literally on the border with Mexico at the very Southern tip of Texas and had a 90+% population of Mexican descent.

He's Mexican AND American.
You can be both, you know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tejano

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

Tito was born in Mission, Texas which is quite literally on the border with Mexico at the very Southern tip of Texas and had a 90+% population of Mexican descent.

He's Mexican AND American.
You can be both, you know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tejano

Thank you for knowing more about this topic than me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, as another example the Guererros were from El Paso, which is basically the same city as Juarez, just one side of the river is the US, the other is Mexico.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Royal Rumble 1991: The Cruel Temptation of the Ultimate Warrior

What I Think I Know

• Warrior wins. I have to get one of these right someday!

It's January 1991, little Rarity is learning her ABCs and across the Atlantic it's time for our annual dosage of regal combat as we gear up for Royal Rumble 1991. And in case you weren't quite clear on how much the WWF loves the good ol' U.S of A we're kicking things off with a shot of the flag and a round of the national anthem. Hey, we've got to show we don't approve of Sgt. Slaughter's opinions somehow! The camera pans across the crowd as the anthem plays, revealing that despite all this jingoistic brouhaha there's not a child in the crowd who isn't bored shitless. They wouldn't be reacting like this is Rockin' Robin was doing the singing, I'm just saying.

Before we kick things off Vince McMahon runs us through the card. I'm not going to ruin any of the surprises now but I think we're going to have a lot to discuss tonight. There's some interesting things a-coming.

Like this. Oh, especially this.

We are live from the Miami Arena which coincidentally happens to be in Miami, FL with commentary once again from Gorilla Monsoon and Rowdy Roddy Piper. You can tell that Piper's in no mood to mess around tonight because he kicks things off by warning us that “there's guys back there with hair on their teeth”. What does this even mean? Hairy teeth are not an indication of wrestling ability! Piper continues on to give a shout out to the troops while proudly displaying his yellow ribbon. Is this a common thing in America? Because I've literally never seen a yellow ribbon used to show support for the armed forces until these shows.

I suppose I should take a moment just to put this show in context. Royal Rumble aired on 19th January 1991. One week earlier the US Congress passed a joint resolution authorising the use of military force in Iraq and Kuwait. The first air attacks of Operation Desert Storm were launched two days prior to this show and just the previous day Iraq fired missiles on Haifa and Tel Aviv in Israel. So this show is taking place right at the moment where everything is kicking the gently caress off. It shows.

The Orient Express w/ Mr. Fuji vs. The Rockers

Welp, this is a pretty poor way to start off 1991. We've already had this match at WM6 and it wasn't particularly good so this is looking very uninspiring. You've got the Rockers who have pulled so many Martys now I'm starting to lose faith in them and the Orient Express who've been bland since day one. Although it should be noted that Fuji's gone out and made a trade because Tanaka is now being partnered by a tall dude in a mask called Kaito. And you're never going to guess where this guy's from. Go on, give it a go.

You're never gonna get it

He's from Yugoslavia!

Christ, even Jinder Mahal would be confused about this one. Which means that for a team called the Orient Express the only one who's got any connection to Japan is the manager and even he was born in Hawaii. The Rockers come out to a nice juicy pop which is good to see. Tanaka jumps Marty before the bell's ring and as I get my first proper look at Kaito I think need to reassess my earlier description. The lad's not tall, he's bloody gigantic!

Tanaka and Kaito kick things off with a double back body drop to Shawn but Marty shows up to take out Kaito with a dropkick and he follows with a superkick to Tanaka. This is a whippet fast opening. The Rockers connect with a double powerslam to Tanaka who scrambles to the outside to join his compadres but the Rockers only go and hit synchronised suicide dives! loving awesome! This illicits big “USA” chants from the crowd who are getting a little bit ahead of themselves. The only crime Japan's committed recently are anime body pillows.

This is so drat cool

The match slows down as Marty applies a long headlock to Kaito and I fear that we're about to go back to mediocrity but my fears are soon set aside as the two men go through a series of chain wrestling exchanges! God drat! We're getting transitions and switches and everything! The big man can work, who would have thought it? Kaito eventually manages to tag in Tanaka but Marty does a leapfrog and Kaito charges into him. This is just full of lovely spots, isn't it?

Shawn comes in and works over Tanaka's arm but it doesn't stop him from being on the receiving end of a nasty forearm. Tanaka almost collides with Kaito though they manage to save it just in time but Shawn bashes their heads together all the same. Shawn follows up with a running knee. Somewhere in the world a young Triple H decides he's just seen his future best friend. While this is happening a lone voice in the crowd is singing 'We Will Rock You'. This really confused me at the time but I've suddenly remembered they're called The Rockers! Way to go, smarky fan!

The momentum is still very much with the Rockers as Tanaka runs into a sleeper hold from Shawn but Kaito breaks it before it does any lasting damage. Man, this has been so technical so far. I'm skipping over a fair amount of the action here but suffice to say it's really well put together. Tanaka fires back with a single leg sweep that looks painful as hell. Ow. Kaito and Marty wind up brawling into the ring so the ref comes over to break it up. He directs Marty to his corner while behind him SHAWN HITS A loving MOONSAULT ON KAITO. Holy shitballs, the crowd goes mental for this. Marty jumps back in and the teams split off for a series of gorgeous synchronised reversals that end in dropkicks to Tanaka and Kaito. gently caress me, I take back everything. This match is ridiculously cool.

Tanaka and Kaito enjoy a fine game of Pass The Shawn

Oh what, you thought it was going to slow down? Well, you'd be wrong because the heels wind up back on the outside where Marty connects with a top rope crossbody to Tanaka and Shawn immediately follows suit with one to Kaito! Oh my god, this is the bomb. Shawn goes for a monkey flip on Kaito but Tanaka's finally come up with an answer to all these flippy-dos because he runs in and snaps Shawn's neck on the top rope. The ref gets distracted and Fuji shows up to give Shawn a whack with the cane. This allows Tanaka and Kaito to take control and they continue with a leapfrog splash right out of the Team Angle playbook. Now there's a move that American Beta should be bringing back.

Things finally do slow down a bit as the heels work Shawn over because nobody could keep up this pace for twenty minutes. Tanaka blasts him right in the throat and follows up with a trap squeeze. Kaito whips Shawn into the turnbuckle and he flips over it to the apron where Tanaka immediately shows up with a reverse crescent kick to send him back into the ring. Neat! Shawn gets in a facebuster and crawls over to his corner but Kaito knocks Marty off the apron. Gah! In a really smart spot Kaito takes off his belt and shares it with Tanaka to use for a clothesline except Shawn dives straight onto the strap and his weight sends the heels colliding into each other.

Shawn and Tanaka settle their differences the only way they know how... b-boying

Shawn's crawling... he's crawling... and he makes a huge loving hot tag to Marty who runs and immediately ruins everything by whiffing every single one of his dropkicks. Godammit Marty, no WWF title reign for you! Marty hits a powerslam to Kaito and pulls off an awesome reversal into a backslide except Tanaka slides in and kicks Marty in the chest which means Kaito wins the contest of strength. drat, there's so many smart little moments here.

The Rockers come back with a double superkick to Kaito and Shawn goes up top but Tanaka kicks him off and he falls all the way to the outside. Ouch! Shawn has not gone easy on the bumps tonight. With the extra man advantage Kaito does a slingshot on Marty that launches him into a vicious chop from Tanaka. Kaito goes back to the well for another but Shawn appears with a shot in the gut to Tanaka and Marty rolls him up with a sunset flip for the win.

Well that match was the absolute poo poo. The action was insane, legit amazing stuff. The Rockers really stepped up their game to a whole new level here with some top-notch flippy poo poo and Tanaka and Kaito both held up their end of things well. How the hell did these guys go from their WM6 match to something like this? It's like watching a completely different set of dudes. And yes I realise that's 25% true but still! I found highlights of the match on Youtube but you really should go watch the whole thing if you've never seen it before. It might just be my new favourite match of the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsRP2kaWDik

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Kato here was Paul Diamond, who happened to be Tanaka's partner for about four years (out of WWF) as Badd Company. Apparently reuniting a pretty good team and throwing them up against the Rockers results in a loving awesome match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The yellow ribbons were popularized in America as a way of showing support for the hostages in the Iranian Hostage crisis in the late 70s. Since then from memory they've been considered a sign of support for Americans in foreign warzones (primarily soldiers) and they became popular again during the first Gulf War if I remember right, which as you note is right around the time that this PPV happened.

Nobody spoil the result of Gulf War I to Rarity!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

It'll be fine, we all know America never puts anyone over

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rarity posted:

It'll be fine, we all know America never puts anyone over
One of these days, they're getting their win back from Vietnam. :argh:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
The other thing to keep in mind with We will Rock You was that it was the ad jingle for a new line of shoes called British Knights that were mega popular at the time so every kid heard the drat song and it’s catchy as hell.

Damnit why did Freddie have to die?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

Jerusalem posted:

The yellow ribbons were popularized in America as a way of showing support for the hostages in the Iranian Hostage crisis in the late 70s. Since then from memory they've been considered a sign of support for Americans in foreign warzones (primarily soldiers) and they became popular again during the first Gulf War if I remember right, which as you note is right around the time that this PPV happened.

The yellow ribbon's been around a lot longer than that, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DHraWHABKg

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Kato here was Paul Diamond, who happened to be Tanaka's partner for about four years (out of WWF) as Badd Company. Apparently reuniting a pretty good team and throwing them up against the Rockers results in a loving awesome match

It should also be noted that before the Rockers came to the WWF, Badd Company and The Rockers feuded in AWA. So these guys just had great chemistry and just knew how to work with each other.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Just caught up with this thread over a few days and holy hell, Rarity, this is some outstanding stuff.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Little tangent about the Rockers and them suddenly not jobbing: towards the end of 1990, the Rockers were supposed to win the tag titles from the Hart Foundation. In fact, they DID win the title from the Hart Foundation! Sort of. The match was taped for Saturday Night's Main Event and the Rockers went over. Unfortunately, the show ran a little too long to fit the timeframe and something needed to be cut. Vince decided to cut out that tag match and make it non-canon.

And that would be the last time Vince McMahon would screw someone over in a title match involving Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Gavok posted:

Little tangent about the Rockers and them suddenly not jobbing: towards the end of 1990, the Rockers were supposed to win the tag titles from the Hart Foundation. In fact, they DID win the title from the Hart Foundation! Sort of. The match was taped for Saturday Night's Main Event and the Rockers went over. Unfortunately, the show ran a little too long to fit the timeframe and something needed to be cut. Vince decided to cut out that tag match and make it non-canon.

And that would be the last time Vince McMahon would screw someone over in a title match involving Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

Isn't that the one with the 2nd rope breaking halfway through the match and it just becoming really ugly?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

There's a little more to it than that. Supposedly they'd decided to get rid of Anvil, which is why they had the Harts drop the title. Then during the match, one of the ropes broke, which apparently made the rest of the match really awkward, and would've required a lot of editing to show on tv. In the meantime, they worked out a deal to keep Anvil, so they decided not to air the match and used the broken rope as an excuse for why the title change didn't count.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They never even mentioned the change on TV.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In the back Sean Mooney is with Randy Savage who declares himself the #1 contender for the WWF Title. He doesn't care who wins tonight's title match because either way he's going to get his title shot. Mooney isn't so convinced and questions whether he's been given an explicit commitment from the Ultimate Warrior yet. Savage responds that he will have one soon enough because Sensational Sherri is on the case. He directs us to a TV which shows Sherri marching into the arena with Zombie Mean Gene in tow.

And just like that we transition to the podium stage where Zombie Mean Gene is with Sherri and it is a sad, sad day because it appears this might be the end of Sherri's crazy make-up. I'm genuinely concerned by this. What if her make-up is like Samson's hair? What if its the source of all her powers? Sherri puts out a challenge to Warrior and explains that Sgt. Slaughter has already promised Savage a title shot if he wins because he's “a brave and honourable man”. Haha, I love how she gets that extra cheap heel heat in there. She hopes that Warrior is honourable as well but she has her doubts because thinks Warrior is “yellow from the top of your head to the bottom of your toes”.

It's almost like you can look at this woman and not realise she is nutballs

This is enough to bring Warrior out and he is playing up the patriotism hard because his facepaint is red, white and blue and he's wearing a super American jacket. Sherri asks him upfront to give Savage a title shot and Warrior stays really quiet so... oh my god, you guys. SO SHERRI STARTS HITTING ON HIM! I guess the girl's got a thing for the facepaint. HOLY poo poo SHE'S loving STRIPPING HIM DOWN. Warrior looks so confused by all this, it's like he's never been hit on by a girl in his life. And through all of this Zombie Mean Gene is awkwardly reaching around Warrior so that he can keep the mic near Sherri's face. Man, this is a party you can tell he doesn't want to be at. Sherri keeps on working her magic and begs Warrior for the title shot. She tries to kiss him but he jerks away so SHE DROPS TO HER KNEES.

For gently caress sake.

It's every bit as suggestive as it sounds

So Warrior's smiling and he's licking his finger like a goon and he's got a really very visible boner. Way to break kayfabe, dude! Sherri looks up at him with pleading eyes but he spits and shakes his head and screams no before running off to the back. We cut back to the locker room where Savage starts freaking out and throwing chairs around everywhere before running out. He tears into the arena through the audience and leaps clear over the barricade to get to Sherri so they go mental together. And while this is happening there's some subtle but very audible “MACHO” chants from the crowd. Ooh, we just got our first instance of smarky cheering for heels. Well, I really can't blame them.

Totally nutballs

Oh my god, this segment was so loving amazing. I was really nervous that Sherri would have lost her lustre but nope, she's still so drat awesome. This kind of insanity is why I watch wrestling. I am so, so up for this Savage/Warrior feud now. And how great is it to have Savage feeling like a big deal again? It's like this one segment did a huge rehab for his character. There was an OSWReview episode where one of the guys described Savage and Sherri as “cartoon supervillains” and it's so loving perfect. These guys belong on Saturday morning television trying to beat Penelope Pitstop at the Wacky Races. The whole segment's up on Youtube, you need to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxS8rT3Btp8

The Barbarian w/ Bobby Heenan vs. Big Bossman

Now this feels like the kind of match that the word 'slobberknocker' was invented for. Neither of these guys is that terrible so this could be all right... maybe? I'm not exactly filling myself with confidence here. The heels are out with the Barbarian still rocking his Conan cosplay but this time Heenan's drawing some of his eyes his own way because he's wearing a fabulously sparkly pink vest. As Bossman arrives Piper warns us not to mistake anything “for colonism”. I think I'll manage to avoid that not least because colonism isn't even a word. Unless we're suddenly passionate about preventing prejudices against Carlito.

The match gets underway with a whole bunch of stalling and playing to the crowd until Bossman connects with a big boot and a back elbow that sends the Barbarian off to the outside. Bossman comes out to join him and whips him into the ringpost. While this is happening Heenan keeps ducking down behind the apron to keep out of Bossman's sight. Hehe. That aside this is all just your standard slow big-man brawl so far.

The Barbarian couldn't go far without his security turnbuckle

They return to the ring where the Barbarian goes up top but Bossman catches him and then clotheslines the both of them out of the ring. Uh oh, Heenan's finally been spotted by Bossman and he pays it for when the big man hawks up a loogie on him. Ewww, gross. Why do the faces gotta keep spitting on people? It's not a good vibe for them. The Barbarian nails a big standing larait and Bossman winds up with his leg trapped in the ropes when he botches falling to the outside. That looked unpleasant.

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Gorilla Monsoon: “The more you beat on him the more he likes it”

There's not much I can say to describe the action. It's two big men beating each other up and it's exactly what you imagined when you saw the initial match heading. The Barbarian rams Bossman into the ringpost and traps him in a bear hug. Bossman manages to break out but not for long because he gets caught in another bear hug. This time when he escapes he bites the Barbarian's nose. Again, eww. Bossman injects an ounce of work rate into proceedings with an enziguri. Ok it's not quite as exciting as the first time I saw it but it's still pretty cool.

That's not how you perform the Heimlich manoeuvre!

We finally a breakout of wrestling moves as Bossman hits a necksnap that's so botchy he sends the Barbarian face first into the ropes. Owww. Both men runs off the ropes and they collide with both falling to the mat. The Barbarian recovers first and connects with the Flying Clothesline but Bossman doesn't stay down and replies with the Bossman Slam. Except he's right by the ropes and the Barbarian gets the break. The Barbarian comes back with a very botchy piledriver and goes for a crossbody but Bossman rolls through to claim the win.

It's very rare for me to come out of a match and have nothing to say but that's essentially the case here. Nothing was great but nothing was poo poo either. Bossman was fine, the Barbarian was fine, Heenan was fine, Gino and Piper were fine. This match existed.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Savage/Warrior was the best WWE feud in 1991.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I loved the fun touch at the end of that match where Heenan was halfway up the ramp and away by the time Bossman even got the pin

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

Anyway, looking forward to the next installment of this because it features my favorite "haha what?" Warrior moment.

Wait, second favorite. First favorite is on the next show.

And here we are!

On another note, Warrior in WWE 2K18 is decked out in his Royal Rumble 1991 patriotic attire, which is nice since I always dug that look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sorry for the delay, guys. I've stalled out on writing a little bit because of something that's coming up where I'm being a little... complex. But you guys deserve this entry, it's one of my favourites! :D

---

SIGN OF THE NIGHT

No, not that one.

I didn't even notice this until I was browsing through screenshots

In the back Mooney is with Sgt. Slaughter who in the last couple of months has gone full Iraqi. He's got the headdress and a pipe and you can't just yet but he's even borrowed the Iron Shiek's pointy booties. General Adnan rambles for a while in Kurdish and then Slaughter takes over. He thinks the turmoil in the world today is nothing compared to when he becomes the WWF champion. Remember, Tel Aviv was literally bombed yesterday. He adds that he will be our new leader because he's got integrity, although it's not like that's stopped Donald Trump. Slaughter finishes up by telling Warrior that his seconds are numbered. Which yes, of course, that's how time works.

Meanwhile Zombie Mean Gene is with the Ultimate Warrior who isn't listening to Slaughter's orders because he only takes commands from the warriors riding on his back. Zombie Mean Gene suggests that Slaughter has the leadership qualities to command respect but Warrior disagrees for one very clear reason.

MOST OFFENSIVE COMMENT

The Ultimate Warrior: “The only ones that would follow you are those that are demented.”

Oh god. Now I know that society has made some big steps in the last twenty five years in the levels of understanding we show to those suffering from mental illness. Sure, we still have a long way to go and I will readily admit that I struggle with showing due compassion myself but I'm still pretty confident that it's not cool to say that people with dementia are war traitors.

I did a whole lot of research but I could not work out what this is referring to

WWF Title Match
Sgt Slaughter w/ General Adnan vs. The Ultimate Warrior

Oh wow. Ok, lots of thoughts here. Firstly, I just want to recognise that this is our first ever WWF title match at a Royal Rumble so it's good to see the PPV progressing towards a proper structure. That said I'm shocked that we're doing this so early. We're not even halfway through the show yet. But the main thing to say is that this is the first WWF title defence where I have no idea which way it's going. When Hulk defended it was always going to be Hulk's apart from the one time it wasn't and my boy Rick Rude was never going to win the big one but this is different. I know that Hulk and Slaughter are heading on a collision course to WM7 and I always assumed it was for the belt but what if it's not? If ever there was a story that could stand without a title belt it's the defence of America's freedoms against Iraqi insurgency. What if we get Warrior and Savage for the belt to raise the profile of that one? It could happen!

The bell rings and we are underway with Slaughter and Adnan immediately trying to play dirty. They try to clothesline Warrior with the flag but he ducks underneath it and comes back with a double clothesline. Warrior is so angered to this threat to his freedoms that he breaks the flag in half over his knee to a huge pop. He goes after Slaughter with the broken flagpole, beating him over the back with it and then stuffing the flag in his mouth.

There's better examples of Persian cuisine

So when I watched this I was really annoyed by this part because Warrior's assault is in full view of the ref and so by all rights this should be a DQ. However, now that I look back on it I think this can be explained away with the fact that the ref is also an American. In other words, Slaughter has been such a dick lately that the ref is throwing the rules out of the window just to spite him. Yeah, when you put it like that it works. Warrior continues the beatdown and this is the most one-sided title defence I've ever seen. This is basically a squash.

But wait! What's this?

A wild Sherri appears!

Sherri creeps up to the ring and Warrior has no idea she's there. He connects with a couple of shoulder blocks and goes for a splash but Sherri grabs his leg. Warrior don't take too kindly to that so he slides out the ring and chases her up the ring AND SAVAGE AMBUSHES HIM! Savage kicks the absolute poo poo out of him and smacks him hard with a camera stand before sprinting away to the back. Holy poo poo, that was so cool.

Of course, this means that Warrior is out of it and all the way up the entrance with no hope of beating the countout. Slaughter knows it too and is smart enough to keep interrupting the ref's count as Warrior pulls himself upright staggers back to the ring. He makes it back inside but he's still really out of it and Slaughter easily gets beats on him. He follows up with a backbreaker but they collide with a double clothesline and both men go down. I don't know about you but this is giving me some serious tension.

It takes a while but Slaughter gets back to his feet and slaps on a long bear hug. Eventually Warrior breaks free and replies with a body slam but even that is enough to hurt him. With Warrior unable to capitalise Slaughter locks on the Camel Clutch and he's got it in tight but he doesn't realise Warrior is partly under the ropes. And when I say partly I really mean partly.

I don't think we need a tape measure for this one

Slaughter cranks hard on the Camel Clutch and until the ref breaks it off and Slaughter raises his arms in celebration. Oh pride, how thou cometh before a fall. The ref makes Slaughter realise the match is still going and he goes back after Warrior but now he's had enough to fire up his ending sequence. Warrior no-sells all of Slaughter's shots and replies with a shoulder tackle. He calls for the Press Slam and... but hang on a moment.

Guess who's baaaaaaaaaaaack!

You called it, Sherri is out once more and on the apron screaming at Warrior. At this point Warrior is so done with her poo poo that he grabs her and drags her into the ring. He lifts her up for the Press Slam and for one brief moment I fear they're actually going to go there but then Savage comes running towards the ring so Warrior hefts her up and tosses her onto Savage. drat! All props to Sherri, that is still a serious bump there. But Warrior's so distracted that Slaughter attacks him from behind and then SAVAGE loving SMASHES HIS SCEPTRE OVER WARRIOR'S FACE.

gently caress yes.

Oh my god, that was so awesome. Warrior's totally out of it and Slaughter easily pins him for a three count. The crowd is outraged and we get a fantastic debut for “BULLSHIT” chants. Remember, the Gulf War proper kicked off literally forty eight hours ago. This is a pretty big loving deal. When Warrior comes to he's mad as hell and immediately goes running off to the back after Savage. This leaves Slaughter alone in the ring as he's announced as the new WWF champion. And so we get confirmation that Vince hates America.

I cannot overstate how amazing this moment was

The wrestling itself was very meh but there was so much great stuff going on around it that I still really loved it as a match. Savage came out of this whole thing looking like a million bucks. Seriously, he was so damaged by the Hulk feud but this instantly makes me buy him as being on Warrior's level. I've been looking for someone to really get behind ever since Rude left and I think Savage and Sherri are my guys. They're both great but together they're just the perfect combination of badass and insane.