Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I'm excited for a new take on the show by a whole new crew. Let's hope they don't gently caress it up. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Minuet is awful but it's awful in a comedic, "What the gently caress were they even trying to do here? :xd:" kind of way. Creed and Nekro are just sleazy and nasty and gross.

Pretty little satin bottoms.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/thetimeladies_/status/966989035381186561

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

Austen Atkinson: So last night I was thinking of Nicola Bryant naked, bathing in oi-
Nick Briggs walks into room
Austen Atkinson: Uhhhh.... in the story I wrote about.... uhhh... cannibal witches fighting a war against corporations to protect their vampire God! ....yeah, that'll do.
Holy poo poo, I've met that guy. Complete bullshit artist.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The worst thing about Minuet is that it teases McGann's Doctor and the Brig meeting the whole story and when they properly do it's only for like 5 seconds because oops, Eight Has Amnesia Again.

I loved Scherzo for how perfectly suited it is for audio (and Paul's silky smooth readings of the short story at the beginning of each episode) but it's a really weird one. There were a couple other neat stories in that arc (Natural History of Fear has a cool twist that also only works because of the medium; Faith Stealer has, uhh, any fun dialogue or characters whatsoever) but otherwise it's a series of very tedious, forgettable stories (and one unforgettable Phillip Martin trainwreck)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Apparently Murray Gold confirmed at Gallifrey One he wasn’t coming back for Season 11. :smith:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

misadventurous posted:

The worst thing about Minuet is that it teases McGann's Doctor and the Brig meeting the whole story and when they properly do it's only for like 5 seconds because oops, Eight Has Amnesia Again.

I loved Scherzo for how perfectly suited it is for audio (and Paul's silky smooth readings of the short story at the beginning of each episode) but it's a really weird one. There were a couple other neat stories in that arc (Natural History of Fear has a cool twist that also only works because of the medium; Faith Stealer has, uhh, any fun dialogue or characters whatsoever) but otherwise it's a series of very tedious, forgettable stories (and one unforgettable Phillip Martin trainwreck)

The Divergent Universe arc just feels really underdeveloped. It's a strong beginning promising the weirdness of a universe where the concept of time is borked...but then a load of stories which are either very conventional Doctor Who stories, or could very easily be turned into a coventional story with very miniscule tweaks.

Everytime I revist the Eighth Doctor stuff, it always seems like this massive hurdle that it doesn't really shake it off until the EDAs.

Unrelated, Gallifrey: Time War was released today. I enjoyed it overall, although I can understand people not enjoying it. I've stuck my thoughts behind the SSLP tester. It's got spoilers, just to make people aware.

Spoilers! :siren: Gallifrey: Time War :siren: Spoilers!

no pretty little satin bottoms in here i'm afraid.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I'm excited for a new take on the show by a whole new crew. Let's hope they don't gently caress it up. Cheers!

You know, so am I. When I saw the little teaser I got a feeling that I don’t often get, of something familiar getting a new makeover so it seems both new and old at the same time.

The only times I can think of feeling this this was
- watching Star Trek TMP in the theater :corsair:
- the first Sylvester McCoy episode I saw with the synth intro

Even when I saw Rose the first time it felt enough like a new show (I didn’t know if it was a reboot or not at first) that it didn’t do that for me.

So I’m pretty excited. I also hope it devoid of suckage.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Ambassadors (of Death!) part 3 has the best cliffhanger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

(Yes, on top of having cannibal witches, attempted sexual assault, space madness and a plot structure that's literally The Caves of Androzani with different names, Nekromanteia also has a subplot where the Doctor gets sucked into an alternate dimension to watch people play cricket.)

You forgot that the attempted rapist gets the happiest ending.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

You forgot that the attempted rapist gets the happiest ending.

But enough about our government! :haw:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, I think this is news worth mentioning...
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/967370849010495488/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish:

A) Elizabeth Sladen had lived a lot longer so that the show could have kept running for awhile
or, failing that:
B) that they could have found a way to pass the show over to Katy Manning that wouldn't have been disrespectful, and it could have continued to be "Doctor Who, but for babies" for awhile.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You know what? Get Sophie Aldred on the phone and make a show where Ace blows things up with some kids.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently Murray Gold confirmed at Gallifrey One he wasn’t coming back for Season 11. :smith:

We've known this for awhile haven't we?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I met Elizabeth Sladen at a convention the day after 'School Reunion' first aired. She was sweet, kind and gracious, and luminously beautiful. And tiny! I could have put her in my pocket.

K9 was also there. I patted his nose when his handler wasn't looking. Perfect crime.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

You know what? Get Sophie Aldred on the phone and make a show where Ace blows things up with some kids.

The "How do we deal with bullies" episode in which Ace just beats one a bunch of bullies up with a baseball bat would be fun to watch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah it didn't come up often but I'm fairly certain Liz Sladen was like 4 inches tall :kimchi:

HopperUK posted:

K9 was also there. I patted his nose when his handler wasn't looking. Perfect crime.

K9 knew, K9 let it happen :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

We've known this for awhile haven't we?

It was floating about for quite some time, but there was no confirmation from anywhere.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is it true that the next series starts in October? Are we really waiting another eight months?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edward Mass posted:

Is it true that the next series starts in October? Are we really waiting another eight months?

"Autumn" is all they've said so far. They only just started shooting in January, though, so they'll be filming for a good chunk of the year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

The BBC armored security truck with the year's budget arrived in January but when Chibnal opened it there was just a note inside from Moffat reading,"Sorry! v:shobon:v"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The BBC armored security truck with the year's budget arrived in January but when Chibnal opened it there was just a note inside from Moffat reading,"Sorry! v:shobon:v"

This is preposterous! The lost the money for the armored truck a long time ago, and it's actually just a courier who empties his pockets so that moths fly out.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

They haven't said that officially, but the photos that snuck out of their official presentation say coming October, yeah. Prepare yourself psychologically for the wait!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Edward Mass posted:

You know how you never knew you wanted something so badly, however once you hear the idea you are totally 100% on board with it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Pfft, they were just filming in Cape Town for a month. We’re going to end up with a 4 episode season at this rate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

it's actually just a courier who empties his pockets so that moths fly out.

JNT: Oh man they finally put the budget up?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

He should've known better than to hire Liam Byrne.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I bought "Timelash." I expect it to be terrible.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

egon_beeblebrox posted:

You won't be disappointed!

e: Here, have a pie chart.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 27, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Save your breath for the viewing, Egon. Most people watch with a scream!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

If it's from Moffat, there wouldn't be a note. Instead, when opening the truck, it would be empty but a recording of a creepy childrens' choir would play:

Tick tock goes the clock
It really is quite funny
Tick tock, and on this rhyme
I spent all the money

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Leave yourself enough mental energy to watch it with the Colin/Nicola/Darrow commentary; they know exactly what they're watching and they have fun with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

If it's from Moffat, there wouldn't be a note. Instead, when opening the truck, it would be empty but a recording of a creepy childrens' choir would play:

Tick tock goes the clock
It really is quite funny
I spent all the money

The twist is... there actually was no rhyme at all, he just made it up! :aaa:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

docbeard posted:

Tick tock goes the clock
It really is quite funny
I spent all the money

And i spent all the money! is repeated every 3 seconds for the next 45 minutes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Fact: outside of a random viewing of The Three Doctors when I was like 8, Timelash was the first Doctor Who I saw, and got me obsessively hooked.

If you think my opinions on Doctor Who are horrible, you may take from that what you will...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Tick tock goes the clock
It really is quite funny
I spent all the money

Don't take out your credit card. Don't log into your bank, don't even reach for your wallet. If you value your life, don't even look for that gift card your mother left in your Christmas stocking. They can sense it when a product nears a cash register. They feel an item going into an online cart like you or I can feel the wind on our faces on a warm day. And the second money exchanges hands, the instant you've made your purchase, you've bought them too. You've bought all of them. And you'll live to have buyer's remorse... for eternity.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Listening to The War Master box set. I really enjoyed part 1. Derek Jacobi owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Goodnight, sweet sadistic henching toady. Peter Miles, aka Nyder from Genesis, passed away

• Locked thread