Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, Libluini, I upgraded your Space Cats. :v:

We need a new Goon Species pack/collection or something.

Ah yes, post-apocalyptic starts are now actually a thing. :getin: Also, nice to see some of my crazy empires get some use

That said, for now I've been going back to being a filthy machine: My new dreaded assimilators are a group of Human colonists who got "saved" by their machines when their new home was devastated by war between the colonists.

My current empire.

And while I learned that I don't like playing Determined Exterminators, they make good enemies! (Extra irony: They ended up my buddies in my current run -for now.) The inspiration for the VN45s was the idea "What if Daleks were robots!!???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Getting back into this with my curious robot empire and I have some questions:

1) I heard that sectors are doing pretty well now, but does that extend to robot empires?
2) Likewise, do sectors understand robomodded pops?

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

So apparently you need to find a disabled gateway to be able to get the tech for building your own gateways, which means that if the AI finds them first and repairs them, you can't get the tech off them even if you take over that system.

I looked around the map and every single gateway i can see seems to be repaired, so I guess I'm just hosed for gateways this game. You really should be able to reverse-engineer functional gateways if you don't have the tech.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Getting back into this with my curious robot empire and I have some questions:

1) I heard that sectors are doing pretty well now, but does that extend to robot empires?
2) Likewise, do sectors understand robomodded pops?

1) Better than normal empires actually, since sectors are a little bit overzealous in feeding your people. If you don't need food, that's one headache less for you, the player
2) My experience so far has been mixed, but you can circumvent this by planning out a colony with multiple-building all robo-pops in advance, then remembering to forbid your sector to redevelop.

The only bottlenecks for this kind of planning are your mineral reserves. Oh, and energy reserves if you need to clear blockers first.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Magil Zeal posted:

This is an ignorant reply. Caring about the numbers is important for actually examining the game.

Sitting paralysed unable to do anything because you're unsure about a 2% change is crazy though. Try, see.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Taear posted:

Sitting paralysed unable to do anything because you're unsure about a 2% change is crazy though. Try, see.

Gotta min-max even though the AI gets stomped every game. On normal.

Oh course I'm going to lose eventually to the Contingency crisis and their 800k fleets..

Dongattack posted:

Nothing beats cracking a planet into multiple burning pieces for that satisfaction feeling, but drat the Neutron Sweep is really good too! Perfect for taking those well developed planets with endless armies since it leaves the buildings around.
I wish the Colossi limit was 2 tbh, so i could have the planet cracker around for those 13 and below size planets the AI colonizes for that "i dont want this and nobody else does either" moments.

Just switch out the weapon. I'm doing nanobot clouds for the good planets I want, shielding planets I don't. Would blow them up but didn't roll that one yet...

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I guess I might as well give this a try again

what does "corvettes: 9/7" mean under the command limit thing? I can't see it explained in the tooltips anywhere and google is not helping

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Libluini posted:

1) Better than normal empires actually, since sectors are a little bit overzealous in feeding your people. If you don't need food, that's one headache less for you, the player
2) My experience so far has been mixed, but you can circumvent this by planning out a colony with multiple-building all robo-pops in advance, then remembering to forbid your sector to redevelop.

The only bottlenecks for this kind of planning are your mineral reserves. Oh, and energy reserves if you need to clear blockers first.

Thank you. I'm almost considering not min-maxing robopops, but why bother playing machine empires then?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

what does "corvettes: 9/7" mean under the command limit thing? I can't see it explained in the tooltips anywhere and google is not helping

You can set up a fleet template, that's the second number. If you hit 'reinforce' it'll try to bring you up to that number.

If you're over it its because you manually built and merged ships over the limit. You can change the limit at any time in your fleet planner.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Just a guess:

The fleet manager won't delete ships if you've gone from, say, 9 corvettes to 7 in your design. You have to do that manually.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Taear posted:

Baronjutter made a simple observation of "It would be cool to have the game tell me what the impact of doing this will be instead of me figuring it out" and this poster turned it into some extended rant about how it's important to only care about the right things in this space videogame

It's amazing dude perhaps you can get over the idea that people play the game differently than you or something idk thanks for adding to the discussion lmao

It shouldn't be a guessing game in terms of how much a planet will help vs hurt science production

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

How tight is the starbase cap in the mid-endgame? I'm now at the point where I'm starting to stockpile and in another 10-20 years I'll have run out space to expand without doing some murder so this seems like the time to push up my fleet capacity with anchorages but I don't really have any standout chokepoints or obvious incoming wars. Is there enough movement in the cap that I can afford to plonk a few wherever?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Zore posted:

You can set up a fleet template, that's the second number. If you hit 'reinforce' it'll try to bring you up to that number.

If you're over it its because you manually built and merged ships over the limit. You can change the limit at any time in your fleet planner.

Pylons posted:

Just a guess:

The fleet manager won't delete ships if you've gone from, say, 9 corvettes to 7 in your design. You have to do that manually.

ah, I see. I read it as being related to some kind of cap, I didn't realise it was a fleet manager thing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Baronjutter made a simple observation of "It would be cool to have the game tell me what the impact of doing this will be instead of me figuring it out" and this poster turned it into some extended rant about how it's important to only care about the right things in this space videogame

It's amazing dude perhaps you can get over the idea that people play the game differently than you or something idk thanks for adding to the discussion lmao

It shouldn't be a guessing game in terms of how much a planet will help vs hurt science production

it's not a guessing game though? the game gives you the exact percentage that's added when you read the tooltip for the number of points needed to research a tech

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Brother Entropy posted:

it's not a guessing game though? the game gives you the exact percentage that's added when you read the tooltip for the number of points needed to research a tech

Yes that part is clear, the gain you will get from the planet is not clear, so to compare these two values you need to calculate the gain from the planet....

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yes that part is clear, the gain you will get from the planet is not clear, so to compare these two values you need to calculate the gain from the planet....

if there's a lot of science the gain is good, if there's not a lot of science the gain will be less good

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Brother Entropy posted:

if there's a lot of science the gain is good, if there's not a lot of science the gain will be less good

Yeah dude let me compare 2% to "less good" ah yes my CPA has been telling me to aim for "less good" or better investments for my portfolio

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Deformed Church posted:

How tight is the starbase cap in the mid-endgame? I'm now at the point where I'm starting to stockpile and in another 10-20 years I'll have run out space to expand without doing some murder so this seems like the time to push up my fleet capacity with anchorages but I don't really have any standout chokepoints or obvious incoming wars. Is there enough movement in the cap that I can afford to plonk a few wherever?

Yeah it goes up thru systems, pops, tech, maybe another thing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

I will say though, holy moly I wish army transports got a reinforce option too. The fleet manager essentially removed fiddly fleet micro so now army transports are the only source of it and hoo boy. Create armies on all your planets, shift select every single individual planet's army on the outliner, move them to follow your main transport, and merge everything when they get there. It was bad before but now it really sticks out. It's even worse if you only want to make armies on the planets close to the front lines.

All the assault army crap should just be something abstracted/auto-generated by your fleets, and/or by wimpy support ships you attach to your fleets.

Libluini posted:

Ha ha, oh wow. I just had my first upgraded pirates pop up. They have the exact same fleet strength than my main fleet, and for some reason they got frigates and raiders modeled after actual space pirates. So I guess what happened here those clowns got some major help by nearby real pirates.

I think I can deal with this, but I didn't expect pirates to immediately jump from a couple hundred to over 1k strength, that's kind of abrupt.

Edit: Welp, they pasted my main fleet. Really didn't expect pirates to jump from zero to hero like that. :suicide:

The whole "pirates have constructed a makeshift fleet from civilian craft (with milpower greater than entire military fleet)" thing is aggravatingly nonsensical.

Pylons posted:

Even still, the hyperlane registrar only affects the time to jump, not sublight speed, which is the real slow part of travel. I think I'd like to see outposts given a single, new type of slot you can only ever get one of per system that can do things like increasing sublight travel (for roads), or maybe increasing the output of minerals, energy, or research in the system they're in. Or maybe a minefield for border systems.

:agreed:

The limited number of "real" starbases messes up what could otherwise be an interesting system for "terrain improvement" stuff like the Civ games, since a few chokepoint defensive stations, a shipyard, an anchorage, and oops, you're out of slots.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can empires i'm at war with enter through my Gateways? I see that it denies everyone i have closed borders with, but that's peacetime.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Also I have two corvette fleets with gale force, trickster, and scout admirals :getin:

They’re insanely fast and can get across my empire easily three or four times as fast as my cruiser / bship fleet

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah dude let me compare 2% to "less good" ah yes my CPA has been telling me to aim for "less good" or better investments for my portfolio

i think we've found your problem if you're taking your video games as seriously as your irl financial investments

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Idea for a doomsday weapon or something: the ability to destroy a hyperlane. Then if you destroy all the lanes to a system it vanishes off the map?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Wish I didn't use Ironman mode. I thought Id pick up some achievements before I lose and do a normal run, but now I'm getting close to late game and still thriving. Now that I'm having fun I don't want to screw up and ruin my empire :ohdear:.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

So I get the "chipping away at them" thing. One of the advantages (the only advantage?) the old warscore system had was telling you "lol you're not getting that poo poo" when you declare. I played some space feudalism guys, tried to vassalize my neighbor, got them to 100% war exhaustion super early on, then proceeded to destroy every spaceship they had and conquer every system they had. End result - I ran into 100% war exhaustion myself and white peaced for status-quo ante bellum, since I hadn't claimed any individual systems (I claimed their whole drat empire, I guess.) I understand they're looking to make wars less decisive, and I remember pre-2.0 you'd occasionally see a goal just required an impossible warscore and so couldn't happen, but there was no indication that this would be the case this time and it felt really silly to have such an absurdly decisive victory and then get literally nothing out of the whole war. Has anyone successfully implemented one of the special wargoals?

Also the systems penalties to science and research bother me for two reasons: first and foremost, pretty boarders. Needing to do some quick calculations to see if a relatively barren system in the middle of your territory is worth grabbing is kinda cool, but the answer may be no and those boarders need to be pretty! Secondly, pirates! I like the concept of isolated unclaimed systems spawning pirates, but it seems like this really just encourages you to fill in your boarders even if they wouldn't be worth the penalties to tech and unity. Obviously there are ways to compensate, and making hard choices is fun, but it feels bad to increase a penalty because you're loving sick of random hostiles spawning. I dunno, "annoyance" doesn't seem like it should enter the hard choices in space strategic calculation

Pirates are the reason to grab otherwise useless systems, because if you don't, you have to keep sending ships there to kill the pirates and that incurs a cost. It's designed to reward coherent claiming of systems.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Brother Entropy posted:

i think we've found your problem if you're taking your video games as seriously as your irl financial investments

I think the problem is that you play videogames by randomly pushing buttons with a dim understanding of what you're doing, which is hilarious to me

It's ok if you don't care about it dude, it's just that people want to compare two quantities and only one is obvious, thats pretty much it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think the problem is that you play videogames by randomly pushing buttons with a dim understanding of what you're doing, which is hilarious to me

It's ok if you don't care about it dude, it's just that people want to compare two quantities and only one is obvious, thats pretty much it

weird post

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Um, holy poo poo the AI cheats on fleet Command Limit. Afaik my command limit cap is 200 without ascension perks and a AI empire is sending a fleet against me with 40 battleships, 40 cruisers, and ca 50 destroyers and 60 corvettes. That's nowhere near 200 :lol:
I would have to put 2 or maybe 3 fully capped fleet there to just defend against one empire that is considered "equivalent" to me. That's a little bit dumb, come on.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 25, 2018

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Stupid Question: What does the "home base" for a fleet actually do? Is that where replacement ships get built? I've been basing fleets at stations and building a shipyard there so I can upgrade them when necessary, but would prefer replacements to be made at a central station with a fleet academy. Will placing all of my fleets home base as the central station force all replacement ships to be made there, or will they continue to be made at the closest shipyard?

Also, it doesn't seem like marauders fleet power scales much if at all. Early on they are devastating unstoppable hoards who will wreck your poo poo, only to become large annoyances later on. And why the hell can't I hire them? Whenever I ask they're always rebuilding their fleet or out on a raid (normally of me). When is the magical time where they have the ability to be hired but aren't currently trying to wreck my poo poo?

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 25, 2018

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

GamingHyena posted:

Stupid Question: What does the "home base" for a fleet actually do? Is that where replacement ships get built? I've been basing fleets at stations and building a shipyard there so I can upgrade them when necessary, but would prefer replacements to be made at a central station with a fleet academy. Will placing all of my fleets home base as the central station force all replacement ships to be made there, or will they continue to be made at the closest shipyard?

It's where they go if you give them a return order and I think where they pop up after emergency FTL?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just found out how you can make your non-main species psionic. There's a new "assimilation" citizenship that makes them awake their psionic potential. Only problem is, it makes them wholly unproductive, they cannot work buildings anymore! And only ONE TO FOUR POPS AWAKEN EACH YEAR! I really wish I had known that much earlier, when I started uplifting/enlightening species and accepting refugees. Oh and they also get a 25% happiness penalty.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Roadie posted:

All the assault army crap should just be something abstracted/auto-generated by your fleets, and/or by wimpy support ships you attach to your fleets.

The whole "pirates have constructed a makeshift fleet from civilian craft (with milpower greater than entire military fleet)" thing is aggravatingly nonsensical.

In this case it started with "Corrupted units" breaking off from our gestalt (which is nonsense enough, since I definitely didn't remember building those additional ships, but OK maybe the rebels blinded us with some computer magic and hijacked some shipyards while I wasn't looking), then it upgraded to "Corrupted Organics breaking free". Said corrupted organics then for some dumb reason were like five times stronger then the machine units rebelling earlier and didn't even have the decency to use our ship set!

Still, at least their ships also used outdated tech, but I don't know if that was good event planning or did only happen because the corrupted used the official pirate ships instead of ours. :shrug:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dongattack posted:

Um, holy poo poo the AI cheats on fleet Command Limit. Afaik my command limit cap is 200 without ascension perks and a AI empire is sending a fleet against me with 40 battleships, 40 cruisers, and ca 50 destroyers and 60 corvettes. That's nowhere near 200 :lol:
I would have to put 2 or maybe 3 fully capped fleet there to just defend against one empire that is considered "equivalent" to me. That's a little bit dumb, come on.

I haven't even researched battleships yet and my command limit is nearly 200. You can switch to the AI empires and see what they've got using the "play" console command, might be worth doing to see if they really are cheating or what.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gort posted:

I haven't even researched battleships yet and my command limit is nearly 200. You can switch to the AI empires and see what they've got using the "play" console command, might be worth doing to see if they really are cheating or what.

Thanks! Yeah, they are cheating very hard. 539/190 command limit on their fleet. Man that really kills all fun i was having up until this point. It's okay if its a loving endgame crisis or something, but not a equivalent empire on normal difficulty.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Anyway to access the starbase of a system from the galaxy map?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, I just researched wormhole stabilization and one of my wormholes (I have 3 within my borders) leads almost straight to the capital world of a life-seeded empire. They have a pretty large empire and a good fleet, but they only have the one world.

What happens if I were to take it in a war? Do their stations and empire just go bye-bye?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Am I mis-remembering something or did there used to be a "hold election now" button for democratic things?

e: Also, how is the War in Heaven supposed to work now? It seems to just hit war weariness 100 really fast and then end as a wet fart because of the -1000 on the main victory condition. Do they re-war after a while or what?

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 25, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

But not for playing it.

Knowing which options are best in which situations is part of playing it. It's a strategy game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Randarkman posted:

So, I just researched wormhole stabilization and one of my wormholes (I have 3 within my borders) leads almost straight to the capital world of a life-seeded empire. They have a pretty large empire and a good fleet, but they only have the one world.

What happens if I were to take it in a war? Do their stations and empire just go bye-bye?

Yeah. If you somehow manage to take (and hold) their only world, their empire will cease to exist. No different than any other civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dongattack posted:

Thanks! Yeah, they are cheating very hard. 539/190 command limit on their fleet. Man that really kills all fun i was having up until this point. It's okay if its a loving endgame crisis or something, but not a equivalent empire on normal difficulty.

They're not necessarily cheating, but they'd be paying 284% of the normal fleet upkeep at that level of command limit. Do they have the minerals/energy to do that?