Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Vision Refactoring & Dream Fidelity Optimization

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
The reddit crazies are out in force today, looks like they just got rid of oldschoolcmdr's latest thread.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUIJ3EO-Lv4&t=692s

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

EightAce posted:

"Well if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.

There's a difference between being critical and being a duck."

Quote from some dude called tarka the otter ?

Can someone tell me what the gently caress that means please

What if it's a really critical duck? #madeyouthink

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Combat Theory posted:

Also in the lights of the Bootchas return, let me tell you from my cold german Mountain hideout that this thread is still cool and good and the people here brighten my days with laughs and savageness ever since i joined

thank you Thread for being what you are and thanks for not only reuniting me with so many friends from ye olde days of yore in the early days of CIG forums shenanigans, but also for meeting all the (to me) new people here with the photoshops, effort posts, catchy one liners and the like.

I am a happy Goon, have a nice sunday friends

:glomp:

:same:
:glomp:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Morningwoodpecker posted:

The reddit crazies are out in force today, looks like they just got rid of oldschoolcmdr's latest thread.

No, Beet did that. Didn't pertain to the rules about Refunds and was just a effort/defense post for Derek Smart by Old School Commander and totally not Derek Smart.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

late but...

quote:

4) Range-based Serialized Variable Culling was our backup plan in case Bind Culling didn't make it into 3.1. You may remember that we were working on SV Culling for 3.0 but that it wasn't quite ready in time. Well, it was the first thing we tackled when we came back at the start of the year, and has been working in our development branch for several weeks now (not the branch 3.0.1 was taken from). SV Culling already gives us a lot of the performance gain we would expect from Bind Culling so the urgency for the later has dropped significantly.

HOLY loving poo poo! They have not yet implemented distance-based culling on their game! That thing is trivial as gently caress to do in most cases, so this means the spaguetti code in their joke of an engine has reached bolognese levels already.

They are sooooooooo hosed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

Well, so I posted this last night
and Clive Johnson comes out with this less than 24hrs later

Derek, Personally I like your crazy antics but surely you must realize that not everything happens because of you? (And that even if it did it is in bad form to point to it yourself) Reddit has been throwing a shitfit over bind culling for a while now, I think that's a more logical explanation for the need to do some damage control.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

trucutru posted:

Derek, Personally I like your crazy antics but surely you must realize that not everything happens because of you? (And that even if it did it is in bad form to point to it yourself) Reddit has been throwing a shitfit over bind culling for a while now, I think that's a more logical explanation for the need to do some damage control.

https://youtu.be/zyNyHark4xk?t=3

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

DapperDon posted:

No, Beet did that. Didn't pertain to the rules about Refunds and was just a effort/defense post for Derek Smart by Old School Commander and totally not Derek Smart.

Lol, so I was right but in a different way.

Beet reinstate the thread, if you want to convince people to get refunds show them the crazy in all it's glory.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hi, recap reader and occasional threadshitter here - reading the lastest recap, are the worms finally turning? Recaps lately seem to have more negative comments from Shitzens

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hi, recap reader and occasional threadshitter here - reading the lastest recap, are the worms finally turning? Recaps lately seem to have more negative comments from Shitzens

For the general population? The worm already turned a while ago. For the hyper-dense retards funding the project? while sometimes it appears like this would be the case, CIG has not felt the need to have CR himself calm the masses so nope, it'lll need more, much more to turn.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
WORM TURNING WAS NOT A JOKE

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As the many dispatches from the Land of Insanity (reddit) make clear, even as the ship takes on water and is settling into the frigid waters of the north Atlantic, the people most active in discussing the game will insist that they're ever closer to the promised land with Crobbers at the helm. When the deck snaps in two and the bodies are hitting the propellers to be entombed in an uncaring ocean, they'll still make excited noises about how that just means more of the first class berths will be made available to them, the true believers. When the last of the oxygen is crushed out of their lungs by the weight of thousands of feet of water overhead, their dying thought will be regret that they never made it ashore but it was a grand journey nonetheless.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Lol, so I was right but in a different way.

Beet reinstate the thread, if you want to convince people to get refunds show them the crazy in all it's glory.

Letting people have slapfights about the good Warlord doesn't make Star Citizen look worse, it just makes /refunds look more like /dereksmart.

Also, it's a lot of work.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

trucutru posted:

late but...

HOLY loving poo poo! They have not yet implemented distance-based culling on their game! That thing is trivial as gently caress to do in most cases, so this means the spaguetti code in their joke of an engine has reached bolognese levels already.

They are sooooooooo hosed.

CryEngine/LumberYard does have culling at the render level, but the clients and "server" (which is essentially a modified client running on their end) are getting CPU-choked from redundant entity state synchronization and physics simulation.

Their network engine doesn't support ANY KIND of culling. That's why they are talking about replacing state synchronization and remote method invocations with custom code. They're still coding the building blocks needed for actual distance-based culling / interest management. If bind culling ever arrives, nothing will improve, there will be tons of new bugs, and a new jesus network feature will take its place.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Letting people have slapfights about the good Warlord doesn't make Star Citizen look worse, it just makes /refunds look more like /dereksmart.

You know......We could make a new R/DerekSmart only our version would be the exact opposite of the original. It would drive the old refugees batshit. Yes, on that merit alone it is worth the effort.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

EightAce posted:

"Well if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.

There's a difference between being critical and being a duck."

Quote from some dude called tarka the otter ?

Can someone tell me what the gently caress that means please

The Duck was not a joke?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

trucutru posted:

For the hyper-dense retards funding the project?

:hai:

Yes, those people exactly

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

You know......We could make a new R/DerekSmart only our version would be the exact opposite of the original. It would drive the old refugees batshit. Yes, on that merit alone it is worth the effort.

I've actually thought about that on occasion, when madness takes me in the middle of the night. It would be insanely funny but because /r/dereksmart still technically exists you'd have to do like /r/real_DerekSmart or something.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

I had this playing in the background last night while Overwatching. To hear Erris recount at some point how people like he and his were putting CIG’s feet to the fire for missed dates and disappointments was just too much. More like they’ve held Chris’s buttcheeks to the lips after drinking Love Potion #9.

More noteworthy — and stated in The Captain’s Table as well — are concessions on the part of these stalwarts of faithfulness of getting burned out on the game. I was too busy junkratting to note the time stamp, but I’ve heard this confession on multiple streams in the new year.

It’s not that we don’t know they’re burned out — they’re not playing the game even on their streams. They’re playing Tarkov, Sea of Thieves, KCD and other honest to goodness games even though so often we’ve read / heard the refrain “Star Citizen has more content than most AAA games I’ve played!”

Even as it’s becoming safer to admit sheer exhaustion from the 6 year cycle of overpromising, underdelivering, and theorycrafting to fill the yawning gap between the two, the old habits die hard. The shows spend very little time seeking anything like accountability. Theorycrafting fills the void of actual news. Lengthy discussions about footage and whatever gameplay they think it implies...

On that note...

I guess at this point there’s no harm in sharing the letter I sent to Erris last year.. I’d attempted a dialogue with Jake on Discord but he and Dolvak jetted before I’d barely exchanged a couple of sentences.

Hopefully it’s at least good for some Goon laughs. The context for this letter was that my “9 Voices of Star Citizen” psychographic had gotten some traction and Jake actually tried to bring it up for discussion on Relay.

Jake was eager to see where the Relay team believed they fell on the map. But Erris was not having it, not for a minute, and he shut the whole thing down and moved on without comment. (I don’t have the time stamp handy or I’d link it but if I dig it up later, I’ll update this...)

It was annoying to watch the shutdown but I appreciated the sincere effort on Jake’s part and decided to effortpost a letter to Erris, to be relayed via Jake. Nothing came of it.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

DapperDon posted:

R/The_Derek

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao this is the gooniest thing I've ever seen. G0RF you beautiful bastard.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

I had this playing in the background last night while Overwatching. To hear Erris recount at some point how people like he and his were putting CIG’s feet to the fire for missed dates and disappointments was just too much. More like they’ve held Chris’s buttcheeks to the lips after drinking Love Potion #9.

More noteworthy — and stated in The Captain’s Table as well — are concessions on the part of these stalwarts of faithfulness of getting burned out on the game. I was too busy junkratting to note the time stamp, but I’ve heard this confession on multiple streams in the new year.

It’s not that we don’t know they’re burned out — they’re not playing the game even on their streams. They’re playing Tarkov, Sea of Thieves, KCD and other honest to goodness games even though so often we’ve read / heard the refrain “Star Citizen has more content than most AAA games I’ve played!”

Even as it’s becoming safer to admit sheer exhaustion from the 6 year cycle of overpromising, underdelivering, and theorycrafting to fill the yawning gap between the two, the old habits die hard. The shows spend very little time seeking anything like accountability. Theorycrafting fills the void of actual news. Lengthy discussions about footage and whatever gameplay they think it implies...

On that note...

I guess at this point there’s no harm in sharing the letter I sent to Erris last year.. I’d attempted a dialogue with Jake on Discord but he and Dolvak jetted before I’d barely exchanged a couple of sentences.

Hopefully it’s at least good for some Goon laughs. The context for this letter was that my “9 Voices of Star Citizen” psychographic had gotten some traction and Jake actually tried to bring it up for discussion on Relay.

Jake was eager to see where the Relay team believed they fell on the map. But Erris was not having it, not for a minute, and he shut the whole thing down and moved on without comment. (I don’t have the time stamp handy or I’d link it but if I dig it up later, I’ll update this...)

It was annoying to watch the shutdown but I appreciated the sincere effort on Jake’s part and decided to effortpost a letter to Erris, to be relayed via Jake. Nothing came of it.

Jake and Erris are not as buddy buddy as you would think. Erris is a die hard zealot manbaby that still thinks its adorable to be a loving child complete with temper tantrums and sticking his fingers in his ears when he doesn't want to hear something. If you noticed that right after this episode, Jake stopped appearing on Relay/Inn/Fantasyland and they have had fill ins instead. Jake is not that far gone to swallow the SC bullshit hook line and sinker anymore and that is a bit of a requirement to play in Erris's TV sim playset.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
remember when they did some optimisation and doors would only move if they were being looked at.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Beet Wagon posted:

Much as I enjoy pointing and laughing, that's a good point.

Morningwoodpecker fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 25, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Potato Salad posted:

Are.... they referring to network culling?

Is there a reason they're treating it like some magical new wizardry?
Yes, they are.

Because it's part of their narrative that they are doing things that nobody else has ever done before so you just need to have patience because they are (literally) reinventing game development.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

is there an infinitely expanding :vince:? This deserves it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

Jake and Erris are not as buddy buddy as you would think. Erris is a die hard zealot manbaby that still thinks its adorable to be a loving child complete with temper tantrums and sticking his fingers in his ears when he doesn't want to hear something. If you noticed that right after this episode, Jake stopped appearing on Relay/Inn/Fantasyland and they have had fill ins instead. Jake is not that far gone to swallow the SC bullshit hook line and sinker anymore and that is a bit of a requirement to play in Erris's TV sim playset.

Yeah, I know. I addressed the first page of the letter to Jake on that particular point, commending him and Dolvak (and AstroPub who was I believe their guest) for at least occasionally talking about accountability. Dolvak did exactly that in a Reddit comment only a couple of days ago.

Beet Wagon posted:

lmao this is the gooniest thing I've ever seen. G0RF you beautiful bastard.

Thanks man, I did take my time with it. You can imagine my disappointment when it failed to prompt any reply. But I wasn’t exactly surprised. Seeing Erris in Relay last night acting like he hasn’t been the sergeant at arms in the Chris Roberts Defense Force — especially after that 3.0 infographic helped prompted his biggest meltdown ever — was just too much considering how explicit my entreaty was in calling him to join those of us dutifully engaged in truth-telling efforts.

No such luck. He remains Evangelist and sometimes Zealot, the Future carved in stone and past always subject to whatever revisions are needed to assure present trajectories can get us there...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PederP posted:

Their network engine doesn't support ANY KIND of culling.

We need a "that's cryengine!" smilie.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I've actually thought about that on occasion, when madness takes me in the middle of the night. It would be insanely funny but because /r/dereksmart still technically exists you'd have to do like /r/real_DerekSmart or something.

r/DerekKarefaSmart (I think that's what they use for his middlename?)

Nebakenezzer posted:

:hai:

Yes, those people exactly

Oh, those are feeling the heat, but they believe it comes from all the awesome progress that CIG has made on the background stuff that nobody can test but that, in the short future (which is always almost here) will fix most problems in one fell swoop.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 26, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Nebakenezzer posted:

People were posting a lot of reddit posts and I probably allowed too many of them into the recent recap; I try to put the bar extra high for reddit posts but perhaps got too lackadaisical. I think the shitizens faith had a rough week because the [magic fix for all networking problems] was pushed back they haven't been told what to pin all their hopes on for 2018 so naturally they want 3.0 to stop being a performance nightmare. They are probably in for a rough year if CIG doesn't get them fixated on something soon.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

r/Doctor_Derek_Smart

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

On that note...

I appreciate you bringing the goods and the updates from those streams because I can't bring myself to watch them any more - so these posts are like a temperature reading or a function analysis of a couple of vital organs in the machine.

I can't read the letter atm on mobile but the cover page and business letterhead is so so good!

I would love to know just how far out of CIG's influence these streamers have slipped since 3.0 slithered out of the pipeline like a rotted turd rising from unknown depths

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

:lol: at the thread title!

Though it will never happen. Erris has the “At least they tried” logic set burned in ROM and his OS will call on it when Roberts patches it in

SomethingJones posted:

I appreciate you bringing the goods and the updates from those streams because I can't bring myself to watch them any more - so these posts are like a temperature reading or a function analysis of a couple of vital organs in the machine.

I can't read the letter atm on mobile but the cover page and business letterhead is so so good!

I would love to know just how far out of CIG's influence these streamers have slipped since 3.0 slithered out of the pipeline like a rotted turd rising from unknown depths

I originally drafted it as a thread post with hyperlinks, but then decided it would be better as a raster, both for the aesthetic touches and to share it with Relay privately.

Streamers are in different places. But the big ones tend to stay on the reservation and CIG staff watch their streams and interact. I don’t see that as enforcement, I think they appreciate that there are still loyal streamers out there. But it can’t help but create a psychic bind that leads to self-censoring. We all know just how much Chris himself demands loyalty from employees and fans. We’ve seen just how militant they are in silencing and purging dissent and having modeled it so well on RSI this enforcement repeats itself via voluntary efforts of Zealot Police on the subreddit.

CIG doesn’t have to tell streamers to be careful what they say and most CIg folks wouldn’t. But we saw what dissent cost WTFOsaurus and what loyalty gained those invited to be featured livestreamers at events like CitizenCon.

Beer obviously is the archetypical heretic and hes still cursed and vilified on /starcitizen for his betrayals. So everyone knows there just isn’t much margin for error on dissent. Streamers can play other games but lord help you if you start railing about the legacy of lying.

So that’s a long way of answering. Streamers generally don’t go rogue, though we’ve seen a few like FTR who did. The loss of community fellowship and CIG approval is a very real fear and I can’t say I really blame them. The potential loss of fellowship is the real check on their actions and if they’ve forged new friendships or attracted paying patrons around the game and those friendships / patrons bring them belonging and income, that’s a high price to pay. I expect those who’ve lost faith will drift away before the commit heresy, as some already have. The rest will hang on theorycrafting and revising history and doing their part to keep the bubble together.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 26, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

close, r/The_Derek but yeah it's loving perfect

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Bootcha, made your hotdoggo chile. It was tasty. When are you going to Kickstart some cooking videos?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
During the past 30 days, streams of Star Citizen have seen average viewers drop off by almost 50%:

The top 10 SC streamers during the past 30 days:

WTFOSaurus::

Max viewers down 39%, avg viewers down 46%

Huge drop-off since Christmas.

Captain_Richard:

Max viewers down 21%, avg viewers down 17%

Similar huge drop-off since Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

The Book of Loaf is really no worse than the Kingdom Come creator's Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/NoticeSeanpai/status/964931429749723138

By which I mean the creator of Racist Morrowind and the curator of Blair's Pants Academy should be locked in the same room. Anyone slamming Star Citizen because Lesnick is a terrible human really shouldn't be talking up Sword Citizen, Lesnick never sat down for an interview with Breitbart to explain why the only black guy being the janitor is historically accurate.

Quoting this for later.