Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or, and bear with me here, we could make a game like Fallout 1 and 2 where you travel between different hubs and only occasionally stop in the empty wastelands.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

or... maybe just do an open-world RPG with a similar scale to those games and "random encounters" working similarly, maybe with a way to get around the empty wastelands fast (ie a car) to make the lack of static stuff more tolerable?

It's a shame neither RAGE nor Mad Max will ever get a sequel...

edit: oh, look at that. a new page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah basically something like RAGE or Mad Max but with the unique mechanics everyone associates with Fallout is where the series really should go imo

keep the gameplay improvements of FO4, just... go in the opposite direction scope-wise

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's a shame neither RAGE nor Mad Max will ever get a sequel...

edit: oh, look at that. a new page!

Eh. RAGE was fun, but it was just a shooter with some racing. It looked like an open-world game, but really it wasn't.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah basically something like RAGE or Mad Max but with the unique mechanics everyone associates with Fallout is where the series really should go imo

keep the gameplay improvements of FO4, just... go in the opposite direction scope-wise

What exactly would that look like? Again, the argument that scope precludes depth is flatly contradicted by New Vegas-a game built around the hardware limitations of the Xbox 360.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

prometheusbound2 posted:

What exactly would that look like? Again, the argument that scope precludes depth is flatly contradicted by New Vegas-a game built around the hardware limitations of the Xbox 360.

the new vegas wasteland is full of empty buildings with no interior

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ideally a game not constrained by platform limitations could do immense scale without ending up empty, but then I look at Star Citizen and see how quickly a "no limits" design theory can go to hell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

the new vegas wasteland is full of empty buildings with no interior

Again, really only because of the console limitations. Mods that add extra interiors show that the game itself is more than capable of handling tons of buildings without choking.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chitoryu12 posted:

Again, really only because of the console limitations. Mods that add extra interiors show that the game itself is more than capable of handling tons of buildings without choking.

It was also constrained by time and budget constraints. For more about this see every building in FO4 being essentially identical on the inside since making lots of setpieces is expensive

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I guess it comes down to what kind of depth is preferred. Although this is largely tied to console limitations, I frankly don't care given the quest design and story reactivity, which are the main things I care about in an RPG.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A fallout that is more like Witcher 3 in scale would be amazing. Velen alone felt huge, and the game felt massive since you weren't just in Velen. CD Projekt Red really nailed the balance between feeling like you're in a huge world without losing out on story or on wold depth.

Striking that balance is clearly possible, and IMO something that FNV managed (even though the map felt pretty drat tiny) while FO4 fell, and feels, flat.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It was also constrained by time and budget constraints. For more about this see every building in FO4 being essentially identical on the inside since making lots of setpieces is expensive

Huh. I wonder if a DLC that basically gives you a crowbar, allowing you to break open doors that were planked-over, would have been worth it.

Terrible Idea: a Kickstarter(TM) system for DLC. "This is the game that we were able to do within limits of time, budget and console technology limits; but if you raise X amount of money, we'll make a PC DLC where you can Y and Z, etc"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Gynovore posted:

Eh. RAGE was fun, but it was just a shooter with some racing. It looked like an open-world game, but really it wasn't.

Mad Max was a really fun game, though. One of the few I have all the achievements for.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Every time I see people talking about the Mad Max game I have to remind myself they're not talking about Metal Max, the objectively best post-apocalyptic game series.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I don't care for the Arkham combat in Mad Max. It's alright otherwise.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Skeleton King posted:

I don't care for the Arkham combat in Mad Max. It's alright otherwise.

I like that it makes guns feel more special. Ammo isn't easy to come by, so you don't just shoot every rear end in a top hat you see.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Liquid Communism posted:

I like that it makes guns feel more special. Ammo isn't easy to come by, so you don't just shoot every rear end in a top hat you see.

Well yeah, you just run em over.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Liquid Communism posted:

Mad Max was a really fun game, though. One of the few I have all the achievements for.

it was okay. The plot wrapped up really quick, and was super dark even for Mad Max. The game also felt like a couple more months of dev time would have really helped it be a great game - ie: not having all of the mini-boss battles be the same guy, maybe having more than one war rig takedown. Ah well, I enjoyed it too.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't know - it ended the way most of the movies do and certainly felt more like the original series than Fury Road. Mad Max and The Road Warrior both end with everyone around him dead and Max increasingly bitter, Thunderdome ends on a slightly more happy note but Max still wanders off alone to go gently caress up someone else life. Fury Road ends a lot differently since he doesn't end up driving off into the sunset alone; possibly because his iconic V8 Interceptor got torn in half somewhere along the way.

They've apparently got two more scripts in the works so I hope they get around to continuing the story sometime soon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't know - it ended the way most of the movies do and certainly felt more like the original series than Fury Road. Mad Max and The Road Warrior both end with everyone around him dead and Max increasingly bitter, Thunderdome ends on a slightly more happy note but Max still wanders off alone to go gently caress up someone else life. Fury Road ends a lot differently since he doesn't end up driving off into the sunset alone; possibly because his iconic V8 Interceptor got torn in half somewhere along the way.

They've apparently got two more scripts in the works so I hope they get around to continuing the story sometime soon.

Eh?

The Road Warrior ends with Max finding out he played decoy, but the bulk of the settlers, Feral Kid, and the Gyro Captain all lived. He saved the day, even if he stayed an outcast.

And he might not have driven off in Fury Road, but he disappeared into the crowd to leave the people to forge their own future, not taking a part in it even though he helped make it possible.

Other than the first one, "Max helps people, then leaves" is the basic formula.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Or at least, Max helps people and is lucky to escape with his life

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In the second movie everyone else on the tanker with him ends up dead and Max standing alone (except for the Feral Kid who I guess was narrating). Not really his fault but everyone he grew sort of attached to was gone, again. And while he knew he was a decoy he didn't realize to what extent he was being used until after he flipped the truck and found it was full of sand, not gas.

No one expected him to survive and so long as the raiders were bothering him long enough for the rest of the colony to escape no one really cared.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In the second movie everyone else on the tanker with him ends up dead and Max standing alone (except for the Feral Kid who I guess was narrating). Not really his fault but everyone he grew sort of attached to was gone, again. And while he knew he was a decoy he didn't realize to what extent he was being used until after he flipped the truck and found it was full of sand, not gas.

No one expected him to survive and so long as the raiders were bothering him long enough for the rest of the colony to escape no one really cared.

Which is also a lot like how Fury Road went. Most of the people helping him ended up dead, but he saved the Wives and Furiosa and allowed for the possibility of a better, fairer future for the citizens of the Citadel. And in the end of Beyond Thunderdome, Bartertown gets hosed up but is presumably rebuilt with just Aunty Entity in control and the escaped children form a new society in the ruins of Sydney where Max has become part of their oral legends.

The only Mad Max film to end on a sour note with no hope for anyone was the first one, which ends with his family being killed and him walking off after getting a bitter revenge as the future only gets bleaker and bleaker.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Most of the people who accompany Max in Fury Road end up surviving though - all but one of the wives makes it back, as does Furiosa and while most of the survivors from the Green Place end up getting killed you still end up with more people alive than dead. Nux sacrifices himself but that was what he wanted after failing his first mission anyway so I don't know if it really counts.

Overall, Fury Road ends on a much more optimistic note than the first 2 (and possibly Thunderdome since the Citadel seems to be doing well for itself and is implied to have a 'better' future with Furiosa in charge). In the first movie it just ends on a bad note as all the good and bad people are killed while the world continues to crumble. In the second he saves most of the people living in the refinery but everyone he's around in the end are all killed and he's left to continue wandering alone - much like the first movie but more of a bitter sweet ending I guess? But he ends up with nothing again, not even his car. It's been ~15 years since I watched the third movie (really wasn't one of my favourites) but it ends in much the same way; the children from the plane end up succeeding in their new home and the fugitives from Bartertown escape Tina Turner's evil clutches. Bartertown also probably recovers to some extent, but Max is left wandering alone. Still no home and no friends/family but probably in a better place overall.

In the game you end up brutally murdering the only person who really ever seemed to care about you in a revenge fueled blood lust - but he did steal the car and got surrogate mom and kid murdered. After that you just tear off into the desert with your recovered car. But if you went through and did all the side missions all 3 strongholds, the fire cultists and Gastown are left sitting in a much better position than when you first found them.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I almost feel like Chum Bucket was kind of wasted on the game.

If they ever make another live action movie he would have made a good companion for Max especially if they got Andy Serkis to play him and crawl around cars like a coked up spider monkey.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I'm surprised that there are still so many boarded up buildings. Map designers that just copy paste art assets forever are a dime a dozen in video game development. In fact I heard stories were bus loads of these people were called in late in game development for some games just to spam the world full of stuff.

On Fallout 4. Is the .44 revolver viable end game?

Weapons gradually fall off I noticed. Eventually you get to where the 50 cal sniper rifle with all related perks and sneak attacks perks still end with raiders needing two or three stealth head shots to die. Even the deliverer that is a viable mid level weapon for all purposes does very little.

Oddly enough the shotgun seems to be viable against all enemies way past level 90 even if at just low to mid range.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Katt posted:

I'm surprised that there are still so many boarded up buildings. Map designers that just copy paste art assets forever are a dime a dozen in video game development. In fact I heard stories were bus loads of these people were called in late in game development for some games just to spam the world full of stuff.

Weapons gradually fall off I noticed. Eventually you get to where the 50 cal sniper rifle with all related perks and sneak attacks perks still end with raiders needing two or three stealth head shots to die. Even the deliverer that is a viable mid level weapon for all purposes does very little.

Oddly enough the shotgun seems to be viable against all enemies way past level 90 even if at just low to mid range.

With good mods and building up that one perk, I used the .44 all the way through. (so did Nick)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In the game you end up brutally murdering the only person who really ever seemed to care about you in a revenge fueled blood lust - but he did steal the car and got surrogate mom and kid murdered. After that you just tear off into the desert with your recovered car. But if you went through and did all the side missions all 3 strongholds, the fire cultists and Gastown are left sitting in a much better position than when you first found them.

Ehhh, I wouldn't really say you (Mad Max ending spoilers) murdered him so much as you drove the car he considered his life work off a cliff and he decided to die with it rather than escape. What I always found odd about the end of that game is that the post-credits gameplay doesn't just drop you back at the point before the last mission, but shows a kind of alternate reality where you, your mechanic, and the mother and child all end up happily alive and co-existing together at the Friar's hangout.

Anyway, I enjoyed Mad Max but the upgrade system was awkward and late-game combat is almost the exact same as early-game combat, just with more shivs and shotgun shells. There's also no reason outside of competionism to ever get most of the upgrades for all of the bases, or even all the upgrades for any given base. I don't think the game even acknowledges when you max out a base either; no cutscene or rewards or anything.

Katt posted:

Not sure about regular variations, but I lucked into a two-shot .44 once and it remained my best weapon deep into level 50+ range. It was pretty funny to be able to just walk into a super mutant stronghold and just casually gun down everyone, even on survival.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Katt posted:

it's pretty good, especially the version Kellogg drops. Still, rifles generally outperform pistols, so you're better off putting points there unless it's a gimmick build.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I'll probably stick with Kellogs gun until I find something better. Two shot would of course be crazy good but I'll settle for a mod like instigating (double damage if the target has full health) which is great on slow firing but high damage weapons.

My last character I had an instigating shotgun that my main anti feral weapon.

I'm disappointed that the minigun is still garbage now that we're into the third new Fallout game. I had a a dust devil require 500 rounds to die and I practically held him down and fed him the barrels to do it.

Gynovore posted:

it's pretty good, especially the version Kellogg drops. Still, rifles generally outperform pistols, so you're better off putting points there unless it's a gimmick build.

It's a Survival build with no armour. My last character came to about level 96 when I committed the fatal flaw of using power armour which trivialized everything and made the game dull.

The current build is.

Survival
clothes but no armour
stealth
charisma
explosives
tech savy/lockpick/hacking
drugs/alcohol
Cannibal
Lone Wanderer (or get one shotted by explosives)

Sneaking past most hard fights and use bottlecap mines or other explosives to assassinate bosses.

I modded the game so the BOS officer uniform could get the flex weave mod since there's no in game balance reason it shouldn't. I have yet to unlock that from the railroad.

Currently I have

Deliverer with silencer
Overseers guardian built into a submachine gun with a reflex sight (will add a silencer as soon as I can)
sniper rifle with silencer
.44 or shotgun

Long term I want to replace the deliverer with a 10mm pistol with a decent mod.
Rebuilding the Overseers guardian into basically an Mp5 with a silencer and then putting perk points into hip fire talents makes it a very good "oh poo poo" weapon for mid ranger. Likewise if you ambush something big and use full auto at close range it will put out a ton of damage.
Replace the sniper rifle with a gauss rifle (I hate the gauss rifle but it's less annoying in vats and it's a viable light-weight heavy weapon so no need for a fatman or rocket launcher)

First thing I did after Concord was run straight to diamond city. Make grape mentats. Speech check Paul Pembroke to let me handle Henry Cooke alone. Went into Cookes bar, stealthed in a corner and blew his head off with a cheap hunting rifle I found on the way.
Ran over to the chem deal and blew them all up with a hand grenade. Collected all the chems and ran to vault 88. Traded Jet to that junkie for caps. Used another grape mentat and traded much of the rest of the gems for the Overseers guardian and some ammo.

Katt fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 26, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Miniguns are actually worse than ever, because ammo ends up being one of the most useful resources for getting caps. When you burn 500 rounds into a dude that's 500 caps blown.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

Miniguns are actually worse than ever, because ammo ends up being one of the most useful resources for getting caps. When you burn 500 rounds into a dude that's 500 caps blown.

I agree! Maybe the minigun should have had ammo boxes instead of individual bullets. I like how the gatling laser uses fusion cores. Except for the part where reflexive reloads leave you with a whole inventory of partially used up fusion cores.

Even at full auto shooting someone in the head I bet the minigun still outputs less DPS than firing the 44 at the same targets head at a comfortable pace.

Katt fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 26, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

I'm disappointed that the minigun is still garbage now that we're into the third new Fallout game. I had a a dust devil require 500 rounds to die and I practically held him down and fed him the barrels to do it.

Rust devils don't have upgrading titles with levels, and I imagine you didn't take awareness to get their level out of VATS, but especially at higher levels they also wear increasingly good Robot Armor, which is basically Metal Armor+ when it comes to resisting physical damage. If you had an unmodded minigun with no heavy weapon +damage perks, I'm not surprised you only managed chip damage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Katt posted:

I agree! Maybe the minigun should have had ammo boxes instead of individual bullets. I like how the gatling laser uses fusion cores. Except for the part where reflexive reloads leave you with a whole inventory of partially used up fusion cores.

If minigun rounds came in bulk a la NV bulk ammo, you might be onto something.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Go to nukaworld, take the quest to meet all the gang bosses, and choose the rude reply for every dialog choice with the leader of the pack gang. He’ll give you the Problem Solver for being such a badass, and that’ll be your mid/close range bread and butter for a long time. Legendary effect is “Increased damage after each consecutive hit on the same target.” If you hosed up and already did that quest without getting the gun, you can buy an identical version from the vendors inside Nukaworld called the Splattercannon, but it’s like 6k caps.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Go to nukaworld, take the quest to meet all the gang bosses, and choose the rude reply for every dialog choice with the leader of the pack gang. He’ll give you the Problem Solver for being such a badass, and that’ll be your mid/close range bread and butter for a long time. Legendary effect is “Increased damage after each consecutive hit on the same target.” If you hosed up and already did that quest without getting the gun, you can buy an identical version from the vendors inside Nukaworld called the Splattercannon, but it’s like 6k caps.

Do the regular world vendors sell ammo for those after you enter Nuka world? I found some nuka world weapon on raiders but there's no ammo anywhere.

marshmallow creep posted:

If minigun rounds came in bulk a la NV bulk ammo, you might be onto something.

I don't get why they can't just decrease the weight of minigun ammo by 80% and just made vendors sell more ammo. Maybe decrease the value of caps a bit so not every single bullet costs 1 cap each with some all of a sudden doubling at the right charisma level.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Only vendors in Nukaworld sell 7.62.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Katt posted:

It's a Survival build with no armour. My last character came to about level 96 when I committed the fatal flaw of using power armour which trivialized everything and made the game dull.

The current build is.

Survival
clothes but no armour
stealth
charisma
explosives
tech savy/lockpick/hacking
drugs/alcohol
Cannibal
Lone Wanderer (or get one shotted by explosives)

So far things are going good. Mirelurks will kill me in a single swipe so staying out of range is everything. Super mutants are hard to deal with. I did the switchboard for the railroad to unlock "Tinker Toms special" and "Deliverer" I did the lost patrol quest to get the BOS officer uniform. Started on the Cabot quest line to get the charisma bobble head. Working on getting most of the important bobble heads.

I'm not going too deep into settlement stuff. I made a home base at Hangmans Alley and set up the basics to attract settlers. I then built and auto butcher which I feed all the settlers into for materials and human meat (can be carried and eaten as a cannibal)

The machine on the left is a recycler. It turns scrap into their basic components. So a wrench will be broken down into gears and steel and so not be used as steel when building. It all then goes into the work bench. I put it after the auto-butcherer so it breaks down and packs the bones as well.

It even folds the clothes. How neat is that?

I return every now and then once the settler count reaches 5 or so to harvest settlers before heading back out.

Katt fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 27, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:randpop:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Katt posted:

So far things are going good. Mirelurks will kill me in a single swipe so staying out of range is everything. Super mutants are hard to deal with. I did the switchboard for the railroad to unlock "Tinker Toms special" and "Deliverer" I did the lost patrol quest to get the BOS officer uniform. Started on the Cabot quest line to get the charisma bobble head. Working on getting most of the important bobble heads.

I'm not going too deep into settlement stuff. I made a home base at Hangmans Alley and set up the basics to attract settlers. I then built and auto butcher which I feed all the settlers into for materials and human meat (can be carried and eaten as a cannibal)

The machine on the left is a recycler. It turns scrap into their basic components. So a wrench will be broken down into gears and steel and so not be used as steel when building. It all then goes into the work bench. I put it after the auto-butcherer so it breaks down and packs the bones as well.

It even folds the clothes. How neat is that?

I return every now and then once the settler count reaches 5 or so to harvest settlers before heading back out.

Usually I only use settlers to man my artillery guns so I can bombard fuckers. Good to see you can put the rest of those mouth-breathing idiots to good use. I only need one per settlement.

I despise my settlers. Fuckers can't find a bed without me. Even worse is that they have the audacity to use my crafting benches! I usually execute them on the spot for that.:commissar:

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

The machine on the left is a recycler. It turns scrap into their basic components. So a wrench will be broken down into gears and steel and so not be used as steel when building.

I see this sentiment in a lot of places, that somehow you lose the components you don't immediately use when something auto-scraps for construction. It's not true. The components go in the related workbench.

So if you go to Diamond City and buy a bunch of scrap to do gun mods with, all the leftovers are in the weapons workbench you were using.

Which, true, isn't connected to anything and resets along with the cell, so if you don't pull them out they're gone, which I think is where the idea comes from in the first place.