Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
e: wrong tab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

It's weird how the buzz in the news about the missing CDC guy is all "I can't believe such a successful guy would just walk away like that" when all I can think is he died in an alleyway somewhere and there's going to be an ebola outbreak at a homeless shelter after someone nicked his wallet.

I mean maybe I'm the weird one but was no one worried he managed to catch something at his job?
It's a concern, but so many people are going quickly from healthy to dead from the flu this year that it would be my first guess.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BattleMaster posted:

It's weird how the buzz in the news about the missing CDC guy is all "I can't believe such a successful guy would just walk away like that" when all I can think is he died in an alleyway somewhere and there's going to be an ebola outbreak at a homeless shelter after someone nicked his wallet.

I mean maybe I'm the weird one but was no one worried he managed to catch something at his job?

you are for sure the first person to have that idea. his tragic disappearance has definitely not become a Thing because of that thought.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Krankenstyle posted:

you are for sure the first person to have that idea. his tragic disappearance has definitely not become a Thing because of that thought.

That's not the angle in the news articles I've read though.

edit: like obviously I'm not the only internet person to think that but I haven't seen anyone in the news worried about that possibility

I'm sure there's a reason, like he doesn't work with infectious agents, but I haven't seen anyone say he doesn't

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 13:06 on Feb 24, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idk what *koff* to say *sniff*

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BattleMaster posted:

That's not the angle in the news articles I've read though.

edit: like obviously I'm not the only internet person to think that but I haven't seen anyone in the news worried about that possibility

I'm sure there's a reason, like he doesn't work with infectious agents, but I haven't seen anyone say he doesn't

The CDC does a ton of work that doesn't involve loving with contagions in a lab, like planning and coordinating responses to outbreaks, putting together training material, and analyzing data gathered during outbreaks. It's not reasonable to assume, absent info to the contrary, that he had any contact with dangerous pathogens.

That's the kind of thing journalists would include if it were the case because it makes for a better story.

Them not specifying he didn't work with viruses most likely means they were assuming the reader knows what the CDC actually does.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Feb 24, 2018

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Bank sues customer for hitting up overly generous ATM that spat out $100s

quote:

A Kansas woman is facing a pricey lawsuit after a bank accused her of making dozens of withdrawals from a faulty ATM that was dispensing $100 bills instead of $5 bills, a local report said Tuesday.
Ochoa reportedly made more than 50 withdrawals over five days in mid-January, several of which were done in the middle of the night, according to documents obtained by the Eagle.
Christy claimed that her daughter made that many transactions in the short period of time because she wanted enough $5 bills to create a “money cake” as a gift for someone, The Eagle said.

Truth or not, I would have loved to have heard the conversation where the idea of a "money cake" first comes up.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
CDC guy left his wallet at home. Read the article jerks

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Read the article jerks

no

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sininu posted:

Wtf? It's a poor judgement to say such thing? Murrica is so hosed up.

Zero tolerance is a hell of a drug.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

mrkillboy posted:

Bank sues customer for hitting up overly generous ATM that spat out $100s

Truth or not, I would have loved to have heard the conversation where the idea of a "money cake" first comes up.

This is one of the best-case scenario bank mistakes (much better than getting five extra zeroes added to your balance or whatever), and she had to screw it up. If she'd only gotten the $100s once or even twice she might have gotten away with it.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

TurboTax posted:

This is one of the best-case scenario bank mistakes (much better than getting five extra zeroes added to your balance or whatever), and she had to screw it up. If she'd only gotten the $100s once or even twice she might have gotten away with it.

Yeah, the bank has to eat the cost if it's a legitimate error on the machine's part until you actively exploit it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

CDC guy left his wallet at home. Read the article jerks

Also, his phone, keys, car, and dog. Looks like he was abducted.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Zero tolerance is a hell of a drug.

"The student [a teenager, the type of human that traditionally exhibits good judgement approximately 1% of the time] exhibited poor judgement. The adults, on the other hand, exhibited no judgement at all, having long ago constructed a system within which they would never need to exhibit judgement, face moral conundrums, or make any decisions whatsoever."

Bravo, school system.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hmm, yes, is there any way I could stick my dick in this?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It specifically said he used the stomach. I agree using the mouth would be weird.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Anything is a fleshlight if you're brave enough.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Samuringa posted:

Anything is a fleshlight if you're brave enough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No wonder Dorry was attracted to it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AP_Oddities/status/967466921212948481

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Do you want a Maduro? Because this is how you get a Maduro.

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/967905792308498432

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You already got a Maduro.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
What's a Maduro?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jojoinnit posted:

What's a Maduro?

a nice cigar

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

What's a Maduro?

Nothing, whats a Maduro with you?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing, whats a Maduro with you?

:drat:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Samuringa posted:

You already got a Maduro.

No, what we have now is a Chavez. Bombastic elite pretending to be a populist hero, using over-wrought anti-foreigner rhetoric to cover for setting up all his cronies in place. Maduro is step 2 of that "plan". Or would be if we didn't have term limits.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snapchat's stock lost $1.3 billion because of a Kylie Jenner tweet.

https://twitter.com/KylieJenner/status/966429897118728192

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
And she definitely didn't just short it herself?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/AndrewBloch/status/966957339981918208

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What's KFC apologizing for? Did they somehow run out of chicken?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

That is literally what happened.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Leavemywife posted:

They ran out of chicken.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Good. They hosed up the whole layout of the app and made it harder and less intuitive to use, and they changed the interface without telling anyone or providing any hints as to where everything got shuffled around. Everyone I know has basically stopped using it completely.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The KFC near my parents' house runs out of chicken all the time (I guess not literally all chicken, but anything that would come in the traditional bucket you associate with KFC). They're consistently the most poorly run fast food chain I encounter.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Peeny Cheez posted:

They ran out of chicken.

Well at least they still have cheezy wedges.

Wait, do they have those in the UK?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

As soon as their delivery contract changed to DHL, SUDDEN CHICKEN SHORTAGE. Hmmm... couldn’t be that DHL is the worst?

:thunk:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

The KFC near my parents' house runs out of chicken all the time (I guess not literally all chicken, but anything that would come in the traditional bucket you associate with KFC). They're consistently the most poorly run fast food chain I encounter.

In a world where Popeye’s exists, there is no reason to put up with any poo poo from second-rate chicken peddlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone still needs to dub over the Boondocks scene where everyone's mad about running out of Colonel's Fried Chicken with various hilarious regional British accents.

For content, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-27/baby-brown-snake-found-in-childs-lunchbox/9488074