Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

e: being untargetable is also fantastic against all terrible players who won't shoot anything without a red triangle. I call it the Pubbie Shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbNr9181PyU

Pubbie Shield fails against alert Noble Bird Warrior, Frozen City 3053 (Colorized, 60 FPS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
It's too bad the block feature doesn't do much. All I want it to do is to auto-mute people when I block them, so if I end up in a match with them again, I don't have to listen to them or mute every match. It would help when dealing with the whinge-lords. I don't mind playing with idiots, but hearing them gets to be a bit much.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Bobcats posted:

I had to uninstall.

I made it to #1 on the medium leaderboard :rolleyes: using Hellspawns :emo: and Cicadas :ssh: but some players started carrying beef from one solo queue game to another and I had a moment of clarity and realized I don't want to socialize with these people. The game is great but some people need to rotate out.

Also gently caress European sadfolks who whine incessantly if an inconsequential light or two get caught out within the first minute. It's cool dude- that energy Piranha or SRM2 Locust wouldn't have done much anyway. If you tell them "shut up bitch it's still a game because I'm still alive" they want to argue the point. They are a shattered people whose hopelessness must be contained before it infects the rest of the world.

So, you're upset that others messed up your goal of being the top player, and you're also upset that other players get too tryhard sometimes.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I just play with voice off. If people want to talk at me they can type. If I want to play with a group, I'll be in discord with folks. I've no desire to listen to randos.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

In his defense, MWO pubs are the loving worst.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Great Beer posted:

In his defense, <insert f2p game here> pubs are the loving worst.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jean-Paul Sartre posted:

Hell is other people.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I didn't know anyone under the age thirty played this game until tonight. Bunch of little kids with potty mouths in tier 3

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tier4 is full of chill dudes suggesting targets in my timezone

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Tier4 is full of chill dudes suggesting targets in my timezone

It was in mine too. Tier 3 is alien to me

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bobcats posted:

I had to uninstall.

I made it to #1 on the medium leaderboard :rolleyes: using Hellspawns :emo: and Cicadas :ssh: but some players started carrying beef from one solo queue game to another and I had a moment of clarity and realized I don't want to socialize with these people. The game is great but some people need to rotate out.

Also gently caress European sadfolks who whine incessantly if an inconsequential light or two get caught out within the first minute. It's cool dude- that energy Piranha or SRM2 Locust wouldn't have done much anyway. If you tell them "shut up bitch it's still a game because I'm still alive" they want to argue the point. They are a shattered people whose hopelessness must be contained before it infects the rest of the world.

:jerkbag:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
denAirwalkerrr (known from the masters challenge as a master to beat) posted a "new metamechs" list on Reddit with links to the top mechs and their builds.
I do not agree with everything obviously but its a good primer in addition to what is posted in the OP already:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D6JeACWx6Bah_ZOCqgxMEmROP-fJh2dYf87RbhXh_gI/edit#gid=868162679

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Bobcats posted:

I had to uninstall.

So can I see some of your cicada loadouts before you go?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

How Disgusting posted:

Probably something like this: CDA-2A
Don't buy this until someone has confirmed it though, I am really unsure on the XL340.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So, I just redownloaded the game after a break of about 2 years and found that after completing Academy I have about 9+M in cash, and two mechs from the time I still played. A Firestarter small laser build of some sort and a 4XAC5 Catapracht. Since both were made ages ago I guess they are useless now, could you recommend me an affordable medium brawler build (can you afford a Crab one with 9M?) and a recommendation on what sort of Assault brawler (IS, as I would like to play in WotL again) would be reasonably affordable?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Bobcats posted:

I had to uninstall.

Nice meltdown

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Ataxerxes posted:

So, I just redownloaded the game after a break of about 2 years and found that after completing Academy I have about 9+M in cash, and two mechs from the time I still played. A Firestarter small laser build of some sort and a 4XAC5 Catapracht. Since both were made ages ago I guess they are useless now, could you recommend me an affordable medium brawler build (can you afford a Crab one with 9M?) and a recommendation on what sort of Assault brawler (IS, as I would like to play in WotL again) would be reasonably affordable?

You don't have to play IS to be in WoL, we never do faction warfare unless there is an event so feel free to look at clan assaults too. Look at the OP for a really good example in the MadCat II. Your firestarter should be taken out back and put out of misery. You have the CTF-4X I guess, not a super bad mech or build but not good either. Put some armor skills on it and it can do some damage.
For medium brawlers look no further than the Bushwacker, the OP should have some examples otherwise the mentioning of this mech should rouse some people to post builds.

Join the discord, link is in the OP, and play with us. Yell at me, BeefySupreme, for an WoL invite.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The secret to enjoying MWO is to pretend you're playing with and against bots. Enjoy the shooty robot nonsense and forget about the people.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

The secret to enjoying MWO is to pretend you're playing with and against bots. Enjoy the shooty robot nonsense and forget about the people.

OR just imagine that inside every mech there is a tiny, tiny, little man and he is very angry at how you are enjoying HIS videogame so it's very important that you cream as many of these little men before you go down in a ball of fire and ON1-IIC-A-shaped parts.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

How Disgusting posted:

They were generally all XL300/MPL with the 2B being best in show.

Treewise it was max structure nodes, maxed agility, then anything goes.

3C nothing works
3F MPL, xl300, token jump. Max cooldown
3M MPL, xl300, stealth, max range
2A ERML + TC 5 XL300 kind of worked better than anything. Max range. 6MPL was too hot(use the 6E hardpoint Uziel with 18DHS instead.
2B MPL, xl300.
X5 MPL, SRM2/4 (too hot). Missile nodes for crit.

XL300 might seem under-engined relative to engine cap but that is still 130 after tweak and heat cap/shed is what makes it stand over a Wolfhound. Xl300 to 305 costs 1.5 tons, which is weight better used for heat sinks.

The only Hellspawn I had luck with was the slick-shouldered agility model with 3 MPL/2 ERSL/2 SRM4. MPL and ERSL sync nicely.

Bobcats fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 26, 2018

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Thanks a lot, time to gently caress around in the mechlab.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Lonjon posted:

So, you're upset that others messed up your goal of being the top player, and you're also upset that other players get too tryhard sometimes.

People were just super negative about everything. What was worse than a team doing NASCAR was the guy entering a fugue state and repeating "stop NASCAR" for a minute solid. Or when a guy takes basement in HPG and everyone has to start their rant.

Like I get it- we're all in IT, we're all over 30 and our lives are all just OK. You'd think people would be happier while murdering other robots but it just got to be a drag, man.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You do understand that, if you let these people get to you, you become them—at least in a sense. It's a cycle of bitterness and abject Dunning Krugerism that we all get caught up in at times, but the trick is to just chill out, mute the worst offenders, and enjoy the game. Sure, you can uninstall, but pretty much all online games have toxic communities and plenty are worse than MWO.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Skippy McPants posted:

You do understand that, if you let these people get to you, you become them—at least in a sense. It's a cycle of bitterness and abject Dunning Krugerism that we all get caught up in at times, but the trick is to just chill out, mute the worst offenders, and enjoy the game. Sure, you can uninstall, but pretty much all online games have toxic communities and plenty are worse than MWO.

This. It's like getting infected with werewolfism but without the added benefits of a thick, cold-resistant coat or being able to smell fear.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

TjyvTompa posted:

You don't have to play IS to be in WoL, we never do faction warfare unless there is an event so feel free to look at clan assaults too. Look at the OP for a really good example in the MadCat II. Your firestarter should be taken out back and put out of misery. You have the CTF-4X I guess, not a super bad mech or build but not good either. Put some armor skills on it and it can do some damage.
For medium brawlers look no further than the Bushwacker, the OP should have some examples otherwise the mentioning of this mech should rouse some people to post builds.

Join the discord, link is in the OP, and play with us. Yell at me, BeefySupreme, for an WoL invite.

Thanks, will do. Name in game is Maltan Hiram.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Last night I had a dude in river city just calling open cts and good targets and congratulating people on good charges and hits and it was so nice, it was like having a friendly robot grandfather teach us to fish.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The trick to dealing with bitter, negative people is to realize that the penalty for team killing is enough time to make a sandwich. Take them out back and put them down, then have yourself a celebratory snack. Good job, you.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 26, 2018

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Bobcats posted:

They were generally all XL300/MPL with the 2B being best in show.

Treewise it was max structure nodes, maxed agility, then anything goes.

3C nothing works
3F MPL, xl300, token jump. Max cooldown
3M MPL, xl300, stealth, max range
2A ERML + TC 5 XL300 kind of worked better than anything. Max range. 6MPL was too hot(use the 6E hardpoint Uziel with 18DHS instead.
2B MPL, xl300.
X5 MPL, SRM2/4 (too hot). Missile nodes for crit.

XL300 might seem under-engined relative to engine cap but that is still 130 after tweak and heat cap/shed is what makes it stand over a Wolfhound. Xl300 to 305 costs 1.5 tons, which is weight better used for heat sinks.

The only Hellspawn I had luck with was the slick-shouldered agility model with 3 MPL/2 ERSL/2 SRM4. MPL and ERSL sync nicely.

For my Cicada 2A I run an XL330, 6ML, no tarcom and six heat sinks. ERMLs ran too hot for me, and its speed/agility/raw firepower lets you get away with a lot of knife fighting shenanigans that other mechs can't get away with.

Just for reference and to back up that cicadas (I think the 2A is the best instead of the 2B) are good, the only mechs that I have a large sample size of games and above a 3:1 K/D ratio are the Cicada 2A, the Top Dog, the Bounty Hunter, the Dragon 1C (before its quirks got tapered back), and the K9. All of these mechs are (or were in the case of the dragon) pretty drat powerful and difficult to deal with.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 26, 2018

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

sebmojo posted:

Last night I had a dude in river city just calling open cts and good targets and congratulating people on good charges and hits and it was so nice, it was like having a friendly robot grandfather teach us to fish.

I was called a "cool dude" and a "nice guy" last Thursday on Twitch. It was nice. v:shobon:v

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I was replaying MW4: Mercenaries and now I've got the robot itch. Last time I played this Clan Mechs were introduced and were pay2win, is that still the case?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

And Tyler Too! posted:

I was replaying MW4: Mercenaries and now I've got the robot itch. Last time I played this Clan Mechs were introduced and were pay2win, is that still the case?

eh things are in an OK place. You'll get a couple horseshit things here and there (like the ridiculous critting of MG heavy builds right now) but its fine.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

And Tyler Too! posted:

I, too, have the robot itch after playing some Mechwarrior 3 and legging the poo poo out of everything in the campaign. Last I played this was over a year (or two?) ago and all I have are a CTF-IM, a AS7-S and a CN9-AH. How hosed am I vs the latest batch of mechs?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having an absolute blast in that valkyrie-skinned CN9-AH. 3 SRM4s on the left torso, RAC/5 on the right arm, it's an angry little brawler.

From my limited experience, the clan mech omnipod makes for some interesting customisability, but generally it ends up you can only assemble something that works by getting an omnipod from every variant of a given mech.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 27, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

School Nickname posted:

I, too, have the robot itch after playing some Mechwarrior 3 and legging the poo poo out of everything in the campaign. Last I played this was over a year (or two?) ago and all I have are a CTF-IM, a AS7-S and a CN9-AH. How hosed am I vs the latest batch of mechs?

Those are all bad mechs now. Get your cadet bonus CBills from playing some matches, and pick up a hellbringer or something that is a very good cookie-cutter build to get you started having fun.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Herb Dington posted:

Those are all bad mechs now.

I have all bad mechs with bad guns. Still enjoying myself. YMMV.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
There are no bad mechs, there are just mechs that aren't right for you.

(And a buncha useless mech variants that exist because they exist in ~lore~ or whatever)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Depends. What tier are you in, and how many cbills do you have?

Atlas is mostly hosed. Muromets has a few okay builds that are decent to okay at making money if you just want the cbill bonuses - but its not a warhammer.

( https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=45fc57eba4ffa788d0956f41758e88b87dbc86b8 the discord says 3uac and a ppc does ok. )

AH is probably okay with newtech and mrms. The main 'benefit ' is that you can use an AC20 with an xl engine, since its in the arm. It works okay for scouting where you can generally pack enough ammo to wreck face before running dry.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Black Pants posted:

I'm having an absolute blast in that valkyrie-skinned CN9-AH. 3 SRM4s on the left torso, RAC/5 on the right arm, it's an angry little brawler.

From my limited experience, the clan mech omnipod makes for some interesting customisability, but generally it ends up you can only assemble something that works by getting an omnipod from every variant of a given mech.

I put 3 mrm10s and 3 LMG on mine and it's ridiculously fun just tromping around hosing everything down with murder.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I dunno, I think there are objectively bad mechs.

Having fun with them is another matter, and not something I shy away from. That doesn't mean you're going to do well, or do well consistently.

That depends much more on you and your opponents' relative skill level.

So, starting out, returning to the game after a few years, I think the best bet is to ditch the 'bad' mechs for a bit, and get used to playing again on something that already performs very well.

edit: don't forget the added bonus of learning what a 'good' mech looks like, to avoid bad habits

gently caress this game is SERIOUS

SQUAWWWWK

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm still in the kiddie pool if there is such a thing but I like this Trial King Crab. It's just 4 AC5s and 3 Medium lasers but I managed to score 3 killing blows and a lot of most damage assists with this monster. It's a walking shotgun and sometimes you can use lasers too!