Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

PFTCommenter tearing discord through NASCAR. They should bring on another driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/967066410278162437

"I made a joke on a podcast and you referenced it in an interview YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH US ANYMORE!"

hamlin has been a fuckin bitch since almost the beginning of his career. i actually started off as a fan of his at the beginning, but the way he bitched and moaned when nationwide series drivers dared to actually race him while he already had a full-time cup ride with gibbs made me dump my fandom of his really drat fast. nice to see he hasn't changed.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

financially racist posted:

hamlin has been a fuckin bitch since almost the beginning of his career. i actually started off as a fan of his at the beginning, but the way he bitched and moaned when nationwide series drivers dared to actually race him while he already had a full-time cup ride with gibbs made me dump my fandom of his really drat fast. nice to see he hasn't changed.

:agesilaus::respek::agesilaus:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Denny is the only active driver I've met and that saddens me.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

78 failed pre qual inspection 3 times, car chief ejected from the track, 1 more and it would have COLEPEARNCOLEPEARNCOLEPEARNCOLEPEARN

guess nascar figured out what they were up to last year.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/967551388703223808

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I highly recommend following Dale Jr on instagram for his vaguely bewildered adventures in South Korea

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

78 failed pre qual inspection 3 times, car chief ejected from the track, 1 more and it would have COLEPEARNCOLEPEARNCOLEPEARNCOLEPEARN

guess nascar figured out what they were up to last year.

Uhhhhhh... it's a new car inspections process. Plenty of other teams have failed the previous process before and teams will continue to fail it this year.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'm all over the wrong thread

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 25, 2018

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Ignore me.

Dale Jr is awesome though and I thank you for bringing up his instagram

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 25, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/NASCARONFOX/status/967544229672108032

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/APopham27/status/967560980535349249

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Are you really allowed to reverse halfway round the circuit like that?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I like that crowd's moxie

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Anyone know how long the delay will be? I want to tune in for the third stage only

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Elephanthead posted:

Anyone know how long the delay will be? I want to tune in for the third stage only

Tune in now then

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That was the fun kind of complete curbstomping

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
The track has a lot of potential for good racing, they just can't invite Harvick next year.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Even pitting an extra time before the last yellow, Harvick was still able to pass the other 2 that tried to win on pit strategy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Even pitting an extra time before the last yellow, Harvick was still able to pass the other 2 that tried to win on pit strategy.

It took him 2.3 seconds to pass them after his last pit. (Well he came out in front of two of them) The problem with pitting one less time is you are running 35 laps on the worst tires possible. It was a play for an early rain ending which would have worked but no rain came. Either way, watching Harvick lap the whole field would have been better but stupid stages, competition caution and the air hose screwed that up.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Elephanthead posted:

Either way, watching Harvick lap the whole field would have been better but stupid stages, competition caution and the air hose screwed that up.

Better for racing, not better for entertainment and having a reason to watch through to the end of the TV broadcast.

You can't have the first thing without the second thing nowadays.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/968087124481363968

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Oh MAN, is that tempting avatar material if I ever decide to get rid of Torts...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WindyMan posted:

Better for racing, not better for entertainment and having a reason to watch through to the end of the TV broadcast.

You can't have the first thing without the second thing nowadays.

an old-fashioned rear end-stomping is fun sometimes, though moreso when the sport had more attrition and you could hope for a blown engine

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

that's one thing I kinda miss seeing.. mechanical failures

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/968132293293412352

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:tif:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/968087124481363968

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Oh MAN, is that tempting avatar material if I ever decide to get rid of Torts...

Pull up Dale! Noooooooooo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Seriously, did Kyle Busch get in serous poo poo for reversing on a live track? Did he go back out after that? Surely there was damage to his brakes or suspension.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ilmucche posted:

Seriously, did Kyle Busch get in serous poo poo for reversing on a live track? Did he go back out after that? Surely there was damage to his brakes or suspension.

That was the only part of the truck race that made the highlights.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

He did it on like lap 132 of a 134 mile race

Suspensions and the such probably won't be announced for another day or two (usually they're on Wednesday)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I AM ROBERT YATES. HOW DOES I PIT CREW MANAGEMENT?

https://www.nascar.com/video/franchise/all-videos/unusual-racing-story-slugger/

TL;DR- Slugger Labbe, at the time the front tire changer for Dale Jarrett, was named crew chief for Kenny Irwin in 1998 at Atlanta. Yates, Labbe, and Todd Parrott didn't realize they hadn't replaced Labbe with a new tire changer on the 88 crew until they were on the airplane to Atlanta, so Labbe did both during the race. :wtc:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 27, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

CBJSprague24 posted:

I AM ROBERT YATES. HOW DOES I PIT CREW MANAGEMENT?

https://www.nascar.com/video/franchise/all-videos/unusual-racing-story-slugger/

TL;DR- Slugger Labbe, at the time the front tire changer for Dale Jarrett, was named crew chief for Kenny Irwin in 1998 at Atlanta. Yates, Labbe, and Todd Parrott didn't realize they hadn't replaced Labbe with a new tire changer on the 88 crew until they were on the airplane to Atlanta, so Labbe did both during the race. :wtc:

Did it occur to them that they could have just swapped the 28's front tire changer to the 88 and have Slugger change tires for his own car? Seems as if that would be more efficient.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
So I was sick most of last week and I started watching old races on youtube. Mostly these consist of 5-10 minute recaps of all the Daytona 500's. I've actually gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it and have learned some things that I either did know before, or hadn't really paid attention to. Some thoughts:

1. Donnie Allison was better than history remembers him. Throughout the 70s he was a constant figure at the front of the field, but he couldn't get over the hump in the 500. It makes his block of Cale in 1979 much more understandable.
2. The Cars! If my wife would let me, I would start to put together a collection of models.
3. Buddy Baker- I'm really glad he got a 500 victory, because he was had a number of good races but never got the win.
4. Slingshot!
5. Petty won the 1973 Daytona 500 by 2 laps. gently caress that.
6. Ok, here's the big one- the jump from 1979 to 1980. The first "flag-to-flag" race in 1979 is iconic, but when I watch it everything about it feels like its from another era. When I started up the coverage for 1980, it was shockingly modern. It even felt like Petty had aged 10 years, from the cool looking guy to the curly haired old man that I knew growing up. There were, of course, clear signs that things hadn't changed that much (Dale Sr in the yellow/blue #2 is always cool to see) but it was cool to see a big jump to something much closer to what I would recognize as NASCAR. By 1983 it feels like the sport has moved light years.
7. Ken Squire is really good. As someone born in 1985, I've always known Ken Squire- and he's always been an old man, but it really is remarkable how consistent he has been. His coverage in 1979 feels down right current and is a testament to how far ahead of the curve he was.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff Gordon would entertain the idea of running a truck at Martinsville:

https://nesn.com/2018/02/jeff-gordon-teases-return-to-nascar-driving-but-with-one-condition/

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2018/02/28/nascar-penalty-report-atlanta-2018

No penalty for Busch, 3 race suspension for crew chief, rear tire changer, and the...jackman?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Slickdrac posted:

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2018/02/28/nascar-penalty-report-atlanta-2018

No penalty for Busch, 3 race suspension for crew chief, rear tire changer, and the...jackman?

gently caress Kyle Busch

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Norns posted:

gently caress Kyle Busch

To be fair, this was all NASCAR's decision.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so driver goes when the car is apart and the crew pays the penalty? I'm really tryign to watch racing this year becuase I can record and watch while playing video games with youtube tv.. but they keep doing things that make me not want to watch it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

tater_salad posted:

so driver goes when the car is apart and the crew pays the penalty? I'm really tryign to watch racing this year becuase I can record and watch while playing video games with youtube tv.. but they keep doing things that make me not want to watch it.

Don't forget he also drove loving backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Harveygod posted:

To be fair, this was all NASCAR's decision.

NASCAR used their discretion to basically only penalize the crew chief for the fuckup. (They have to issue 3 race suspensions per the rulebook for a tire coming off)

The Jackman and tire changer are only suspended from Trucks. They're normally part of Cup crews anyway.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 28, 2018