Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Things are going great!

Hmm. (Not shown, a bunch of "Trade agreement canceled" and "Rivalry ended" spam).

So, something happened and every starbase/outpost, along with every ship and mining station, disappeared overnight. I'm assuming it's a mod issue somewhere (gently caress knows which one, I have a bunch), but that's interesting, to say the least. It happens around 2280.03.01 every time, reloading doesn't seem to have an effect.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lprsti99, what size 4-spiral is that? And is that 0.75 Hyperlane density?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Lprsti99, what size 4-spiral is that? And is that 0.75 Hyperlane density?

1000 star, and yes.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
lol the UNE humans that spawn when you play as the CoM use the wrong name list.

Paradox forgot to change HUM3 to HUMAN1 in line 4106 of special_system_initializers.txt. HUM3 is an alien humanoid name list now.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Has anyone run into the space whales in this patch? I've run into (many) space amoeba, abandoned mining drones, crystalline entities, and voidclouds. Usually I would have run into the Tiyanki a long time along

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Has anyone run into the space whales in this patch? I've run into (many) space amoeba, abandoned mining drones, crystalline entities, and voidclouds. Usually I would have run into the Tiyanki a long time along

yes, and their weapon actually owns now in the early game, it's basically an autocannon

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I had a weird thing where I suddenly got a notification that my homeworld's starbase was back in my hands, and when I checked, it had dropped to outpost level, the mining station around the sun had disappeared, and I now have a claim on my own home system. :confused: Everything there is entirely under my control, I wasn't at war when it happened, I don't think pirates got anywhere near there (it was well defended and deep in the center of my empire, and I didn't see any notifications)...anyone else seen this happen?

One of my other planets had a revolt and broke away just before, I'm wondering if it might have bugged and thought my homeworld was revolting for some reason.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

I had a weird thing where I suddenly got a notification that my homeworld's starbase was back in my hands, and when I checked, it had dropped to outpost level, the mining station around the sun had disappeared, and I now have a claim on my own home system. :confused: Everything there is entirely under my control, I wasn't at war when it happened, I don't think pirates got anywhere near there (it was well defended and deep in the center of my empire, and I didn't see any notifications)...anyone else seen this happen?

One of my other planets had a revolt and broke away just before, I'm wondering if it might have bugged and thought my homeworld was revolting for some reason.

I have no idea, but it sounds like what I ran into up the page, but... less.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Can you not pick and choose which claims to enforce at the end of a war? I have 4 claims in a defensive war, 2 of which I have occupied, but I would prefer the other 2. The default choice gives me the 2 I don't want and I cant find a way to change them. Do I have to occupy to claim them?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

metasynthetic posted:

Can you not pick and choose which claims to enforce at the end of a war? I have 4 claims in a defensive war, 2 of which I have occupied, but I would prefer the other 2. The default choice gives me the 2 I don't want and I cant find a way to change them. Do I have to occupy to claim them?

A status quo peace will give you the status quo - each side keeps what it currently holds.

If you can force the opposing side to surrender (which takes more effort than getting them to agree to a status quo peace), you will get all your claims.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I won my first war and then it took about 50 years to completely assimilate the meat-bags into our cyborg life and get the economy all straightened out, and how my machine nation has 9 colonies and 52 outposts and everything (research) costs like 220% extra! Wee...

My only other real neighbor was broken into 4 or 5 pieces by uprisings, so now I have nothing to fear at all in my corner of the galaxy, so I think I'm going to reboot this game, as I didn't have enough starting AI dudes for the size of the galaxy I made. I'm not terribly upset about it as it was a good learning game without a lot of beatdowns to keep me from advancing to see how things go.

The 'hump' was gotten over when I finished researching the IV and V level buildings for both minerals and energy.. makes a huge difference, ate up like 20k minerals just upgrading everything. Then I got another ascendency or whatever it's called and took Habitats and made my first one... drat.. all the wonders of a planet without the research costs... I think I might have to rush that ascendency in the next game if it's possible, and keep the empire smaller.

The year is something like 2380. I just found a system with 15 minerals, but it's another 8 or 9 systems away from my already bloated empire.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Locator posted:

So I won my first war and then it took about 50 years to completely assimilate the meat-bags into our cyborg life and get the economy all straightened out, and how my machine nation has 9 colonies and 52 outposts and everything (research) costs like 220% extra! Wee...

My only other real neighbor was broken into 4 or 5 pieces by uprisings, so now I have nothing to fear at all in my corner of the galaxy, so I think I'm going to reboot this game, as I didn't have enough starting AI dudes for the size of the galaxy I made. I'm not terribly upset about it as it was a good learning game without a lot of beatdowns to keep me from advancing to see how things go.

The 'hump' was gotten over when I finished researching the IV and V level buildings for both minerals and energy.. makes a huge difference, ate up like 20k minerals just upgrading everything. Then I got another ascendency or whatever it's called and took Habitats and made my first one... drat.. all the wonders of a planet without the research costs... I think I might have to rush that ascendency in the next game if it's possible, and keep the empire smaller.

The year is something like 2380. I just found a system with 15 minerals, but it's another 8 or 9 systems away from my already bloated empire.

Pretty sure Habitats still incur research costs. They're still a colony.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

They're expensive, but usually a 12 tile habitat full of labs will still be profitable.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Interesting bug I've noticed is that my fleet power isn't updating during an upgrade unless I remove the Admiral. Not sure if it's just a visual bug or the fleet power is actually ending up stuck at some lower number until I do the leader shuffle.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

OwlFancier posted:

Gulli's planet modifiers in a recent version added some new ones, namely that if you build a habitat round the planet they're on, it adds a bonus to the habitat. It's cool because it means that some worlds make really good hab locations, I got a planet with 2 habitat bonuses on it so when I built it I got a habitat with +20 flat physics and +10 flat energy. Really nice bonus! Not gamebreaking cos it's only a couple of labs/solar panels worth but it's free. I think it's honestly pretty fair really given that habs now cost 10000 minerals and there aren't many double bonus planets out there which are also in good systems for your habitats, really makes you want to search for them.

Much as I enjoyed the entire galaxy being made of solid mineral asteroids and having 30 minerals per asteroid belt, I'm glad they were toned down honestly. The habitat modifiers I think are fair for the cost involved and the rest is in a good place. You'll end up with a richer galaxy on average but not by a silly amount.

I'm keeping an eye on comments like this :) It's hard to get balance right. Overall with my mod resources are a bit more abundant throughout the galaxy. My last update doubled or trippled the habitability malus from negative modifiers, so some planets end up being a bit harder to colonise. This to somewhat compensate for the resources in the galaxy.

That said, I am keeping an eye on the resources though. For habitats I think it's fine as you need to spend time looking for a nice planet to build it over, and it costs 10.000 minerals and time to build.
For maximum cheeze: build a habitat over the time lost planet and then terraform/colonize said planet lol

It is possible, in the future, that I include a minor defines tweak to offset the resources (some kind of tiny upkeep increase somewhere). I haven't looked into it, but I'll see how the game feels. Right now I'm in full on bugfix mode.

Glad you're all enjoying the mod :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

New game. My second jump is to a pulsar system. After surveying it, I get a message that it’s a countdown that will end in 40 years. This system is at the end of a long hyper lane whose only exit is through every single inhabited system I own.

How hosed am I?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Do marauders build new raiding fleets? I have some that are rampaging through my empire (I assume because, as a fanatic purifier, I can't pay them off). I can destroy their raiding fleet.. but if it doesn't knock it out for a significant chunk of time, I might be putting this game on hold until something is patched.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 26, 2018

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ConfusedUs posted:

New game. My second jump is to a pulsar system. After surveying it, I get a message that it’s a countdown that will end in 40 years. This system is at the end of a long hyper lane whose only exit is through every single inhabited system I own.

How hosed am I?

Not at all, you'll be fine, nothing bad is going to happen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I thought for sure that my colony count didn't go up when I built it, but I'll build another one tomorrow night to test it for sure.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mayor Dave posted:

Not at all, you'll be fine, nothing bad is going to happen.

Don’t lie to me.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Why is it that when the enemy retreats from battle, it counts as a loss for me? I keep losing wars due to attrition because this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Back Hack posted:

Why is it that when the enemy retreats from battle, it counts as a loss for me? I keep losing wars due to attrition because this.

War exhaustion is based on ships lost. And I'm pretty sure the battle outcome is based on who got the most war exhaustion, not who ended up retreating.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I thought for sure that my colony count didn't go up when I built it, but I'll build another one tomorrow night to test it for sure.

That's a system count. Another colony in the same system will still hurt your research and unity, without letting this number go up.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Jabor posted:

War exhaustion is based on ships lost. And I'm pretty sure the battle outcome is based on who got the most war exhaustion, not who ended up retreating.

That's dumb, especially dumb consider my fleet is made up mostly smaller ships specifically meant to counter fleets made up of larger ships. It shouldn't be my defeat because I lost 10 corvettes to his 2 battleships and 4 cruisers, it should be his defeat because I made him quit the field, otherwise all I have to do is cheese the system by equipping long range weapon on everything retreat from every battle once I kill something.

E: What is really bad, is that I'm only take minimum losses, yet it always counts as a major defeat.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 26, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I don't know if it's a bug or just something weird but...

I had the Titanic Life event. My fanatic Xenophobes elected to eat them all for +20 food on the planet. So, did that, all worked out.

Then I researched a special project about the Titan Life and my planet was subjugated by three Titans. I beat them back with like 12 armies but it still represented a significant drain on my early economy as the colony that got taken was my second one ever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Back Hack posted:

That's dumb, especially dumb consider my fleet is made up mostly smaller ships specifically meant to counter fleets made up of larger ships. It shouldn't be my defeat because I lost 10 corvettes to his 2 battleships and 4 cruisers, it should be his defeat because I made him quit the field, otherwise all I have to do is cheese the system by equipping long range weapon on everything retreat from every battle once I kill something.

E: What is really bad, is that I'm only take minimum losses, yet it always counts as a major defeat.
It's fleet count not individual ships. 8 corvettes lost is the same as one battleship lost.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Then I have no idea why I'm losing these battles then when I'm the one coming out on top. :shrug:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So what is a good amount of empires for a starting game? i always seem to have too many or too few.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Back Hack posted:

Then I have no idea why I'm losing these battles then when I'm the one coming out on top. :shrug:

it's also based on how much of total naval cap those losses represent, perhaps your enemy had a much higher naval cap than you so his 2 battleships and 4 cruisers made up a smaller percentage than your 10 corvettes? that seems to be how the system works atm, it probably needs some tweaking tbh

VonWigg
Sep 10, 2005

Had a few bugs in a game last night, starting out as a robot (Determined Exterminators) I had a hydroponics farm with one of my pops working it. Totally useless as a robot of course, so I deleted it and made my pop do something a bit more productive. Anyone else experienced this?
Also my research got bugged and the list of available research options didn't refill or change options until I only had one left. After that it went back to normal, but it made me choose some research options I normally wouldn't have. Reloading the game didn't fix it.

In another game I had the Great Khan pop up and ravaging my federation buddies, I could not find any way to help them push back, nor would any of the other federation members join in. I was kinda hoping that there was some way of uniting against him, but I could not find any. Working as intended?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
What's the accepted norm when it comes to bug reporting involving modding? I really dont want to post on the bug forums unless I discovered (and confirm with test) a vanilla bug. They have their hands full as it is.

I'm unsure how to proceed. I'm also fairly sure I've done everything correctly.

for those interested:
I discovered weird behaviour when making a custom defense army building and a custom defense army spawned from that building.

1) build custom building
2) every month spawns 1 of your custom unit associated with that building up to the max you set it to spawn (defense_armies = 3)
3) once it has your max defense armies (3 in my case) it starts to delete some of the normal defense armies every month
4) once all other defense armies are gone, it starts replacing them with your custom defense armies

It's really weird :p
Video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OArcau5vzK0

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Tomn posted:

If you diplo-contact the Khan (click on their little flag on an owned star system, or go through the Contacts screen), you have the option of "discussing surrender"...

Also when discussing surrender, you have the option of telling the Horde "Actually, we meant the terms of YOUR surrender." There are absolutely no negative consequences for this whatsoever.

BlatandLies.gif

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
How have people tinkered with their sliders? Any recommendations?

I've ran a couple of default-slider games and have felt like there are too few habitable planets around.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

RBA-Wintrow posted:

BlatandLies.gif

The joke is that there really aren't any negative consequences, as far as I can tell. The Khan just has a good chuckle and says "lol nope, we're gonna beat you down like everyone else." Near as I can tell it doesn't even affect the AI's chances of going after you instead of someone else.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone else have issues with refugee's? got a pop-up saying a fleet had arrived and when I went to check the world they landed on to see what I'd got there was nothing there. Checking the species list for my empire doesn't show anybody new either.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've spent the last few hours making sixteen empires instead of doing a 2.0 run.

I'm not sure where my limit is but I'm starting to run out of unique ideas.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

I've ran a couple of default-slider games and have felt like there are too few habitable planets around.

I've always done 0.25x on habitable planets, which seems like it's still the same number now. I've been doing 0.75x hyperlanes on a 4 arm spiral, which seems to produce a lot of nice clusters.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tomn posted:

Defensive starbases in a large late-game empire. The defense platforms in particular add up fast.

I suppose so, though is it really worth spamming them out? I'm building them at the late stage of the game though it feels a bit more like it's so I don't hit my mineral cap more than anything else, and yeah it's starting to make my maintenance costs creep up but at this point I already have a bunch of the matter converters built, not to mention three +50mineral-100energy deals active that I can cancel in a pinch to conserve energy again should I need to. Mine might be an unusual case though. I'm definitely getting some use out of them, just built a Dyson Sphere for another +1000 energy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Try as I might, I can't brain how to manage the fleet manager.

I have 2 ship types: Corvette and Destroyers. Each has 2 designs: Torp and autocannon CVs, PD and Plasma DDs. I have a Fleet template fully built with 10 Torp CVs and 10 Plasma DDs. I want to change that to 5 of each.

So I reduce the amount of each existing design to 5, add the 2 other designs and raise the quantity to 5 each. What happens is I get a Fleet with 10/5 Torp CV, 10/5 Plasma DD, 0/5 Autocannon CV and 0/5 PD DDs.

How do I get that to be 5/5 for each design? Do I have to manually remove the extra ships from the fleet? Where do I do that? Can I remove 5 of the Plasma DDs, retrofit the other 5 still in the fleet, then merge again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Trogdos! posted:

Four-armed spiral with 0.75 lane connectivity seems to be the map mode of choice for generating choke points and constellations. I tend to run with higher primitives and maxed FEs.