Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I enjoy it far more on rewatch, but the cast as a whole is fairly forgettable. Aside from Krennic and the final space battle I'm not sure anyone will remember it 5 years from now.

I suppose if you have brain damage you can forget about Donnie loving Yen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Or Darth Vader carving a bloody swath through people on-screen for the first time ever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Krennic going to Anakin's Nostalgia Hellzone Castle and getting owned because he woke Lord Vader from his afternoon nap will never not be awesome.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There’s a lot to like in Rogue One. The whole third act is really tight. The Empire being the Empire is pretty great. K2-SO4 is a delight as is Donny Yen.

However, it’s second act along with characterization for most of the main characters is awful. Plotting and pacing are a real issue too throughout the first two thirds.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

A friend of mine suggested that if either of us were big enough nerds to make a fan edit (spoiler: neither of us are), a lot of Rogue One's problems could be fixed by having the entire film take place on Scarif, and developing characters and relationships through flashbacks.

I'm not sure whether I agree or not, but it was at least an interesting thought.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I heard Marc Bernardin say that there is no technically good Star Wars movie, but rather they are strings of moments, and how fondly we remember them is based on how many good moments they had compared to how many bad moments. Rogue One has a lot of good moments for me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

A friend of mine suggested that if either of us were big enough nerds to make a fan edit (spoiler: neither of us are), a lot of Rogue One's problems could be fixed by having the entire film take place on Scarif, and developing characters and relationships through flashbacks.

I'm not sure whether I agree or not, but it was at least an interesting thought.

That's...that's pretty cool, actually. Boondock Saints style, except, y'know, actually good :v:

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I heard Marc Bernardin say that there is no technically good Star Wars movie, but rather they are strings of moments, and how fondly we remember them is based on how many good moments they had compared to how many bad moments. Rogue One has a lot of good moments for me.

I mean quality is obviously subjective, but the original movie is technically good by just about any criteria a reasonable person could come up with.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

DancinBrud posted:

I mean quality is obviously subjective, but the original movie is technically good by just about any criteria a reasonable person could come up with.

"No technically good movie wanders in the desert for half an hour before introducing the protagonist" is the specific criticism of ANH, but he does think it's the best one

e: Quote is on youtube, Kevin Smith warning

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 26, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

NTRabbit posted:

"No technically good movie wanders in the desert for half an hour before introducing the protagonist" is the specific criticism of ANH, but he does think it's the best one

e: Quote is on youtube, Kevin Smith warning

Not a big Lawrence of Arabia fan, I’m guessing

yes, I’m aware LoA introduces Lawrence in the very first scene, there’s still plenty of desert wandering

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Personally Bor Gullet was my favorite character.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not a big Lawrence of Arabia fan, I’m guessing

yes, I’m aware LoA introduces Lawrence in the very first scene, there’s still plenty of desert wandering

The desert wandering that comes after the protagonist is introduced

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
And it's the most gorgeous desert wandering ever filmed, to boot.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Not sure if anyone else is watching live but this is some weird stuff. Also some major game changing poo poo not just for Rebels, but for the rest of the canon as a whole.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Malcolm McDowell! Liam Neeson! Alec Guiness!

Gonz fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 27, 2018

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ahsoka lives.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh poo poo, Carrie Fisher and Daisy Ridley, too. This episode is nuts.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 27, 2018

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
From 2016
https://imgur.com/a/UHehe

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Holy poo poo, that was Malcolm McDowell? Voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it. Cool villain, too.

edit: And yeah, all of those Topps cards probably deserve some reexamination. Filoni, you tricky son of a gun.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 27, 2018

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Did anyone else get similar vibes to the Twin Peaks finale when Ezra saved Ahsoka

That place with the portals was clearly a black/white lodge. The Mortis gods are going to throw Ezra into an alternate timeline/universe for the finale. Obviously this cartoon show for children would draw heavily from the works of Lynch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really hate how Filoni a) couldn't resist bringing back his pet character, excising all the emotional and narrative weight from her original "death" in the process, and b) reintroduced time travel (a plot device so ill-fitting and lazy for Star Wars that even the old EU rarely flirted with it) into canon to do it. What a self-indulgent episode.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Those episodes were loving awesome. Add hellfire to the list of the Emperor's set of tricks.

We never saw Ahsoka die and even saw what looked like her coming out of the Sith Temple at Malachor. Of course she's gonna live. Guess the Ahsoka that (presumably) survived the fight with Vader and everything she's done till then has effectively been written out of existence.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else notice that like, the FPS went up in the second half? The animation seemed radically better.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, they clearly save budget on certain episodes to pour it into others.

Love that Sabine’s art history degree finally came in handy in the real world.

Ian McDiarmid isn’t afraid to go for it with his vocals. Also endearing: that he said “Ashoka” and Filoni didn’t correct him.

This got pretty weird, but Clone Wars made me realize that I like my Star Wars weird.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I am so loving happy right now. Holy. poo poo. Tonight's episodes were amazing. This new mysticism introduced into the Force lore is loving sweet, I love it. But god drat, seeing Ahsoka come back was one of the most ":wtf: is going on?!" moments I've experienced watching a show, and it was overwhelmingly awesome. My heart was racing.

And yeah, the production value for sure has a been turned up a notch for these last few episodes. The score too, has been really really good. The rising tension in the soundtrack towards the end of the second episode as the temple to collapsing was riveting as gently caress.

[edit] I just realized next week is the finale... :cry:

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 27, 2018

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Time travel has no place in Star Wars

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chickenwalker posted:

Rey has already done this in a way :ssh:

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

I thought the same thing, then this episode happened.

Rebels Recon is a must-watch this week, by the way. Lots of great insight into the Mortis gods and the world between worlds.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This was cool.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

Rey has already done this in a way :ssh:

Oh right I forgot how Poochie did that in beloved cultural touchstone The Force Awakens. Forget I said anything.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I forgot, what happened to the Ghost? Why are they shipless?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
:kingsley:
Trailer for the finale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi9-oGOgd_M

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

banned from Starbucks posted:

I forgot, what happened to the Ghost? Why are they shipless?

I haven't watched the newest ones because they aren't available for download yet, but in the first half of the season they handed the Ghost over to Rex and Kallus before getting Vizago to smuggle them on to Lothal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’m gonna miss the hell out of this show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I just watched the second episode again, and inside the temple, I also heard Jyn Erso and Kylo Ren’s voices, too.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Gonz posted:

I just watched the second episode again, and inside the temple, I also heard Jyn Erso and Kylo Ren’s voices, too.

Yoda, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Kanan, Maz, Jyn, Rey, Kylo, Chirrut, Poe, Darth, Hera and The Son & Daughter from the Mortis trilogy in clone wars

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hate how Filoni a) couldn't resist bringing back his pet character, excising all the emotional and narrative weight from her original "death" in the process, and b) reintroduced time travel (a plot device so ill-fitting and lazy for Star Wars that even the old EU rarely flirted with it) into canon to do it. What a self-indulgent episode.

Except she never actually died, and was actually pictured at the end of the episode walking through the sith temple rubble, and I really never got why people were so insistent that she'd died when actual onscreen evidence demonstrated she hadn't

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's with the tags, the shits aired already.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here's my prediction: Ahsoka knew she had been pulled into the future and that she was "dead" for for the intervening time, so she's been laying low but comes back for the final battle. Then her and Ezra fly off into the Unknown Regions to search for and protect other temples like Lothal's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They're also fine to survive, because neither of them really count as Jedi when Yoda is playing cute with his words to Luke, whereas Kanan/Caleb still was by the proper temple Jedi definition.

• Locked thread