Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dallan Invictus posted:

What do you mean, you can still force an ideologically untenable government on your antagonist nation, that's as proper a war of liberation as anything. :colbert: I imagine that the proceeding rebellions will do as good a job of tearing the unsustainably tiny successor states off your opponent as the war ever would have. There should def be a CB to free someone's vassals though.

It requires too much. If I've taken all of your space, most of your planets and smashed up your fleet then I should be able to do it - but I can't, because at that point it forces a peace out of me. Starbases should count for more in the warscore than they currently do, it only counts planets as "occupied".

And you can't even form a federation. There's no other pacifists in my game and absolutely nobody will form one because of the -50 malus of the war ideology. Why be a pacifist if I can't even do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Guilliman posted:

It is possible, in the future, that I include a minor defines tweak to offset the resources (some kind of tiny upkeep increase somewhere). I haven't looked into it, but I'll see how the game feels. Right now I'm in full on bugfix mode.

Glad you're all enjoying the mod :)

Another bug for you: modifiers need to be removed when planets get cracked (and pacified too?). In particular precursor shields look really out of place on a cracked planet.

And yes, I'm enjoying the mod too. I haven't done much colonisation in Cherryh but I really liked the events in 1.9 to remove negative modifiers - at least I'm assuming those were your mod and not vanilla.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Jazerus posted:

i'm not sure whether migration controls can remove the "migrating" status if implemented after the pop starts moving; they obviously should be able to though. if you already had the species set to migration control on before the abduction, then something might be wrong with migration control in general.

I didn't change anything - they were pre-set to be on lock-down. I abducted maybe 4 pops during the war and this happened with all of them. Save's long gone but maybe that civ had a migration treaty with the one they were going to? Kinda sucks assimilators are busted :(

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Expansion also means shutting prospective rivals out of space you can use later.

It also means border friction so that's another thing to weigh up.

Its just fair to say that blind expansion isn't the rule of thumb or a good plan. Consider that 2 energy 2 mineral star nearby. By itself its not really worth the cost, but would it lead you to richer systems or keep your neighbors from trapping you in?

That part is what you're paying that unity/research malus for.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone know what happened to the LEX Mod? seems like it vanished from the workshop, I was wondering if anyone knew if it was down to be fixed and updated or down because Wiz spitefully destroyed everything good in the game forever and deleting the mod was the only recourse?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

GotLag posted:

Another bug for you: modifiers need to be removed when planets get cracked (and pacified too?). In particular precursor shields look really out of place on a cracked planet.

And yes, I'm enjoying the mod too. I haven't done much colonisation in Cherryh but I really liked the events in 1.9 to remove negative modifiers - at least I'm assuming those were your mod and not vanilla.

I fix that partially today. (only for newly cracked planets**). Planet cracking will remove pretty much all modifiers. I'll take a look at the shield graphics not being removed. I kinda want to be a bit more exotic with those and planet killers, but since I cant afford the DLC right now I cant really experiment/test. I'm not 100% sure how to remove the planet shield graphics with the event and like I said, cant test it right now.

So for now it'll look a bit silly, least for this month :3

And thanks for the compliments! Yeah I added in a lot of mini events that remove some negative modifiers after a while :)

**edit: of you want to clear modifiers on already cracked planets: Select the broken planet, open the console and type event pm_planet_destruction.1

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 26, 2018

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Guilliman posted:

I fix that partially today. Planet cracking will remove pretty much all modifiers. I'll take a look at the shield graphics not being removed. I kinda want to be a bit more exotic with those and planet killers, but since I cant afford the DLC right now I cant really experiment/test. I'm not 100% sure how to remove the planet shield graphics with the event and like I said, cant test it right now.

So for now it'll look a bit silly, least for this month :3

And thanks for the compliments! Yeah I added in a lot of mini events that remove some negative modifiers after a while :)

That can be fixed. What's your Steam handle?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Thyrork posted:

Expansion also means shutting prospective rivals out of space you can use later.

Its just fair to say that blind expansion isn't the rule of thumb or a good plan. Consider that 2 energy 2 mineral star nearby. By itself its not really worth the cost, but would it lead you to richer systems or keep your neighbors from trapping you in?

Also you don't have expand from your borders. Influence costs scale linearly and if you can skip that system to cut off a neighbor, go for it. My current empire has big empty pockets because the systems simply aren't worth the overhead and there's no danger of anyone building in them.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Gyrotica posted:

That can be fixed. What's your Steam handle?

It's fine dude, really don't have to! I can get it next month :) Thanks though!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

Also you don't have expand from your borders. Influence costs scale linearly and if you can skip that system to cut off a neighbor, go for it. My current empire has big empty pockets because the systems simply aren't worth the overhead and there's no danger of anyone building in them.

worth noting: if you border a system owned by another nation which is connected to an unclaimed system, you can claim that system (at double the usual cost) and cut them off on that side too.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Dallan Invictus posted:

I just need to think of a word that properly represents the attitude of, say, medieval China towards its neighbours.

Condescending paternalism?

Splendid isolation?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wait, you can place habitats anywhere now? Like just freely floating in space? I could have 50 in a star system?

Looks like I found a bug, you can PLACE a habitat anywhere in a solar system just like an old fort, it takes your 10k minerals but once construction is done you get nothing :(

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 26, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Honestly I wish habitats were better, or that the one where you can have specialized ones was in base. Or have some way similar to the mastery of nature edict where once you can build ringworlds/other mega structures you can expand your habitats to 25 tile so they aren't a overall drain.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Thyrork posted:

I'm hoping that doesn't bite you hard in a federation that doesn't want to stop.

Yeah, I'm in a federation game right now and every time I accept a war from another member I have to wait for our own war exhaustion to hit 100% in order to stop. It's not terrible except in some situations, but if I got unity/influence zeroed out it would be maddening.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^the instant you hit 100% you can force a white peace for your alliance can’t you?

Expanding habitats to O’Neil cylinders or something for lots and lots of minerals would be cool.

Might have to make them a premium over ringworlds though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Defence stations and other starbase things don't display the correct cost.
For example it tells me a titan shipyard is 1000 but it actually only cost me 600. Upgrades to the station show 300 but cost me 50. It's weird.

And I don't understand how jump drives work now. I still get the little border around me like my jump distance but my ships don't bother to do it, what am I doing wrong here? They've definitely got the drives.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Taear posted:

Defence stations and other starbase things don't display the correct cost.
For example it tells me a titan shipyard is 1000 but it actually only cost me 600. Upgrades to the station show 300 but cost me 50. It's weird.

And I don't understand how jump drives work now. I still get the little border around me like my jump distance but my ships don't bother to do it, what am I doing wrong here? They've definitely got the drives.

Jump Drives function as hyperlane drives but have a special action on the fleet window to initiate a Jump that can bypass hyperlanes. This action is on a cooldown and puts significant debuffs on the fleet in question for the duration of the cooldown. It does not replace hyperlane travel altogether.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Jump Drives function as hyperlane drives but have a special action on the fleet window to initiate a Jump that can bypass hyperlanes. This action is on a cooldown and puts significant debuffs on the fleet in question for the duration of the cooldown. It does not replace hyperlane travel altogether.

Ah, I figured there would be a button but I looked everywhere except for that top bar.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If the cost scaling is like other paradox games, it will be calculated based on the base number, so the calculation for system scaling would be (1+(.02*n)) instead of (1.02)^n, resulting in a lower marginal cost to expansion. A system only has to beat 2% of the base * non-size modifiers to be positive, not 2% of the current value.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Not sure if it's new, but I completed the Irassian chain and the homeworld was spawned into a new system that wasn't there anymore, it just created a hyperlane from one of my border systems. Didn't it use to be an existing system?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Not sure if it's new, but I completed the Irassian chain and the homeworld was spawned into a new system that wasn't there anymore, it just created a hyperlane from one of my border systems. Didn't it use to be an existing system?

No it's always worked like that.

It's funny that you can go into Maurader territory, kill them all and when you contact them they're still saying the same stuff.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I like this change, especially for machine empires.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Wiz, be very careful about applying this to the defending empire. An empire losing a war against determined exterminators doesn't necessarily have the option to surrender and cut their losses.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Thyrork posted:

They need a listening post starbase that doesn't 'control' the star, just to stop pirates from spawning. Pirates are a small threat but a basic starbase can't handle them at all, and even 3 platforms can't at later points. Put a limit of adjacent to one of your owned systems as being the only valid location

would make me a lot more friendly to leaving holes in my territory

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tomn posted:

Condescending paternalism?

Splendid isolation?

You begin to see my problem!

Right now, for the tree title I'm thinking "Ascendancy", "Splendour", or "Mandate", and for actual traditions I'll probably mix Domination and Purity (there are really only a couple of Purity traditions where I think their Domination equivalent makes more sense for IPs) and use some flavourful phases like that to rename them, similar to the hive mind/machine empire renames.

canepazzo posted:

Like Taear says, it's always been like that, it just used to create the new system somewhere close in distance (or maybe just somewhere in a given precursor's "designated region" - which might well have been inaccessible to you because it was in someone else's territory with closed borders. So there were Good Changes to that in 2.0.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 26, 2018

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Taear posted:

If you try and war someone, you get to impose ideology. But this requires so much war score it's effectively impossible.
And before you could liberate worlds and create your own allies from enemy empires, but that's not an option either.

I want to free some slaves!

Yeah, this was the problem in the one major war I fought in 2.0. In the old system you could tell while declaring war if your goals were literally unreachable, like trying to vassalize or liberate an empire that was just too big. I think the solution is the same thing - chip away at them, grab some systems, release them as vassals, repeat - but there have been guys I've totally obliterated and then just slowly sat while I got to total war exhaustion and reverted to status que ante bellum, since I had no claims. The various non-claim CBs should tell you if they're impossible or not, otherwise you end up with literally nothing. Maybe the war exhaustion fix will change things (really glad PDX is so amenable to feedback) but I'm not totally convinced, I could see the same problem happening except instead of getting auto-white-peaced the player has to initiate it since their goals are not achievable

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blorange posted:

Wiz, be very careful about applying this to the defending empire. An empire losing a war against determined exterminators doesn't necessarily have the option to surrender and cut their losses.

At a certain point your economy will be wrecked so badly you can do nothing but desperately cling on. Losing influence and unit makes sense here at least.

Defense wars need a bonus to war weariness or something though. Or at least it needs to be able to go down after a decisive victory? Or maybe you can always liberate your own planets with a CB even if pacifist?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Got my first colossus last night. The one planet I cracked last night turned into a husk worth 16 minerals with a mine. I noticed you have the option to crack non-inhabitable planets too, though I didn't have time to try it. Can you crack random toxic and barren worlds into minable minerals as well? I would guess no, but it would amusing, constant work for your planet cracker.

Also, we keep getting desync problems in multiplayer now. We've played plenty before and haven't had issues, but now every time somebody joins it immediately pauses with desync errors are PLANET_POP_MODIFIERS and the like. It does seem to eventually progress to the point where the desyncing person has issues and needs to rejoin again. Really hoping that stuff gets fixed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

Yeah, this was the problem in the one major war I fought in 2.0. In the old system you could tell while declaring war if your goals were literally unreachable, like trying to vassalize or liberate an empire that was just too big. I think the solution is the same thing - chip away at them, grab some systems, release them as vassals, repeat - but there have been guys I've totally obliterated and then just slowly sat while I got to total war exhaustion and reverted to status que ante bellum, since I had no claims. The various non-claim CBs should tell you if they're impossible or not, otherwise you end up with literally nothing. Maybe the war exhaustion fix will change things (really glad PDX is so amenable to feedback) but I'm not totally convinced, I could see the same problem happening except instead of getting auto-white-peaced the player has to initiate it since their goals are not achievable

As a pacifist you can't do that. All you can do is impose ideology so if you can't do that, you can't do anything.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Unity cost penalties are way too harsh atm and yeah sure there's a slider but making Unity feel about right with the slider makes research WAY too fast.

imo

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I've played a bit on the new patch and here are my thoughts.

1) The new expansion system is way better than the old one. It feels like territory is important now and there are real trade-offs by expanding rapidly. I've kept an entire area of the galaxy cordoned off with a huge bastion just because it doesn't have much purpose.

2) The Fleet Manager is clearly bugged and I've gotten tons of 10/0 Corvette issues no matter what I do. I hope it gets fixed with the hotfix

3) Playing on a large+ galaxy is nearly impossible because of the travel times. I tried playing on a large spiral galaxy so I could get the "Have 10 migration treaties" and "Have 10 species on one planet" achievement and it's been absolute hell. My empire is about a tenth of the galaxy and is by no means the biggest and I'm having to treat it like the Eastern and Western Roman Empire where there's no coordination between the two halves since it takes decades to move fleets around. This really caused an issue when the Great Khan came around as I had to fight with one hand behind my back instead of moving over another fleet to deal with the existential crisis.

I imagine I'm going to be screwed when the end-game crises show up.

I also have gotten to keeping empty science vessels parked around the empire because it takes longer to fly out and complete debris scans from my core worlds where my scientists are doing research assistance. This seems game-y as hell. Maybe increase the travel speed for construction/science ships back to the old levels?

4) The Great Khan event seems way too strong. I was fielding 2 fleets of ~20k and my vassal neighbors had 2-3 fleets of about 10k. We combined had the biggest fleet of anyone in the galaxy save Fallen Empires. Yet the Great Khan spawned with something like 10-12 fleets of 10k :stare: plus all the fleets they already had. That's strong enough to have taken out a Fallen Empire if they had moved that way. Seems like it's just way too strong right now.

5) Fleet Admirals seem to constantly place themselves on the most broken down ship they can, so when that ship is destroyed/retreats the admiral immediately leaves combat. This seems like a bug and it made the Great Khan disappear off the map entirely so despite my attempts to beat him in combat for the achievement I never could since he vanished.

6) The "must border" condition for rivals/war seems like a good idea in theory but becomes a mess in practice. There's a slaver empire right next door to me but because I kept a neutral zone, neither of us can rival the other or declare war despite us both hating each other.

7) The War Exhaustion issue is obviously a big one right now. I've never seen a War in Heaven and would love to participate in one, but I saw that folks are seeing those white peace out after a few years, which seems to defeat the whole point of the War in Heaven being a Fallen Empire struggle to the death.

All that said, I think it's the best patch yet, it just needs some slight tweaks and some bug fixes. I really hope they do something to speed up travel time as the game goes on as I'm sort of dreading starting the game back up and getting into the crises instead of it being the highlight of the game.

edit: Also forgot that the "vasselize" war goal option is basically useless right now as to succeed with it you have to capture the entire empire. This is fine for someone who's only a planet or two but with anyone larger than that it's impossible to win before the war exhaustion hits.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 26, 2018

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

axeil posted:

6) The "must border" condition for rivals/war seems like a good idea in theory but becomes a mess in practice. There's a slaver empire right next door to me but because I kept a neutral zone, neither of us can rival the other or declare war despite us both hating each other.

Oh man that gives me an idea: what if there was a diplomacy/war goal option to declare "neutral" systems between you and the other empire? This would prevent border friction but still count you as neighbors for everything else and maybe have other effects/events?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Taear posted:

As a pacifist you can't do that. All you can do is impose ideology so if you can't do that, you can't do anything.

Yeah, I feel like warscore requirements for non-conquest CBs are excessive. Like yesterday I had a subjugation war, and I completely conquered the target and was half-ways through their minor ally. They also had a major ally that could not reach me --- and which wasn't reachable by me when the war started. (I recall EU4 having special rules for just this sort of case...)

Now exhaustion might be a little too high, but I kind of like how it punishes not preparing --- not having enough troops, not staging them or fleets at the right spot, etc., but if I manage to fully occupy something, maybe I shouldn't end the war with zilch.

Space Skeleton posted:

Oh man that gives me an idea: what if there was a diplomacy/war goal option to declare "neutral" systems between you and the other empire? This would prevent border friction but still count you as neighbors for everything else and maybe have other effects/events?

I was next to an isolationist FE which basically forced me to do it... except then pirates kept spawning there.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 26, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Space Skeleton posted:

That'd be a great idea.

I'd also love to see a colossus that lets you destroy/modify the hyperlane network.

I just got jump drives but it doesn't seem like they do much except make you move faster, which is a shame. If I'm risking the Unbidden I at least want to be able to use my entire military force to counter them without it taking years to get the fleet in place.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dallan Invictus posted:

I just need to think of a word that properly represents the attitude of, say, medieval China towards its neighbours.

"correct"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

It's almost like he reads the thread!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I really like the idea of the slower travel times, but they need to be offset by engine tech as the game goes on. Haven't played long enough to see if this is the case...But sounds like maybe not.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
What exactly is the difference between "Armour/Shield Damage" and "Armour/Shield Penetration"?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

I really like the idea of the slower travel times, but they need to be offset by engine tech as the game goes on. Haven't played long enough to see if this is the case...But sounds like maybe not.

I just got Jump Drives and Colossi and it still takes ages for anyone to get anywhere. I'm fine with it taking a very long time to go from one end of the galaxy to the other at game start but the engine tech should really speed things up so by the endgame you're zipping around.

I think someone here or on r/stellaris had the idea of letting you "improve" hyperlanes to speed the travel time up like building roads/railroads in the Civilization series which I see as a good compromise idea. Also would give your construction ships something to do once you're done expanding and building mining stations/research stations.

Plus democracies could have the "build roads" mandate instead of the mandate being to build mines/research stations when your empire is completely built out.

edit: Quick funny story. I neighbored a small hive mind and I managed to vassalize them because of utterly destroying them in a war I mean the scary slaver empire next door. After a while they seemed pretty content and so I hit the integrate button...which proceeded to purge all of them after the integration was complete.

Oops!

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VirtualStranger posted:

What exactly is the difference between "Armour/Shield Damage" and "Armour/Shield Penetration"?
The first increases damage to armour/shields. The second allows the listed percentage of its damage to ignore armour/shields and deal directly to the next layer down.