Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Look Around You posted:

lol if the pens get Kane.

Also lol at the first reply.

mike harrington is probably the shittiest or second shittiest buffalo-area sports writer and he knows absolutely nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it must be so difficult to be the planners for the trade centre event. you need to have at least 5 hours of content on-hand in case nothing happens, and you know they're not all (or in TSN's case, any) gonna be winners

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sbisa for Karlsson.

Make it happen!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The Mike Fisher contract is official, $1m prorated the rest of this year.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Sleep Darryl is killing me on this panel.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

it must be so difficult to be the planners for the trade centre event. you need to have at least 5 hours of content on-hand in case nothing happens, and you know they're not all (or in TSN's case, any) gonna be winners

Also the big trades seem to happen before the actual TDL day every year now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TSN dunking on the caps

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/968154787069026304

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Also the big trades seem to happen before the actual TDL day every year now.

I think that's because the big trades nowadays often involve a bunch of cap fuckery requiring league review which isn't instantaneous, so teams make sure to give themselves plenty of time before the actual deadline.

e: hot take, the Caps could have beaten the Pens in 2016 and should have beaten them last year, there's no reason it should be a huge shock if they beat them this year. It's gonna happen one of these years.

...right? .....right?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 26, 2018

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CBJSprague24 posted:

Don't know who this guy is but a CBJ blogger follows him so :shrug: :

https://twitter.com/jaeckel/status/967367177048330240

Dubois-Wennberg-Dubinsky-Arty Party-Letestu gives them some options down the middle. I think Tube can play the wing.

Horseshoe.

How? He has a NTC until July.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Even though it’d be addition by subtraction I don’t want them to dump Orpik for the hell of it if it costs them like a 2nd or 3rd round pick. They can just buy him out in the offseason.

going back a few pages but this seems like an over valuation of a 2nd round pick, and a gross over valuation of a 3rd round pick (at least if you accept the premise that dumping orpik will have a significant positive impact on the caps' cup contention threat, which i think is a totally acceptable premise)

seems like any team that has a somewhat serious chance at going deep in the playoffs and isn't on the cusp of a rebuild should be willing to bleed 3rd round picks and probably 2nd round picks too if they can get something in return that improves their odds in the very short term, no?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

going back a few pages but this seems like an over valuation of a 2nd round pick, and a gross over valuation of a 3rd round pick (at least if you accept the premise that dumping orpik will have a significant positive impact on the caps' cup contention threat, which i think is a totally acceptable premise)

seems like any team that has a somewhat serious chance at going deep in the playoffs and isn't on the cusp of a rebuild should be willing to bleed 3rd round picks and probably 2nd round picks too if they can get something in return that improves their odds in the very short term, no?

It's more that there is no reason to lose a pick and dump Orpik if they won't need the cap space anyways. Sure, if they are for example on the verge of acquiring Erik Karlsson and they need to dump Orpik to fit Karlsson under the cap you give up whatever you need to in order to dump Orpik.

OTOH it might just be worth it to get rid of Orpik so that Trotz can't make any stupid personnel decisions as he's wont to do.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would gladly give up a low second round pick to get Brooks Orpik off my team for my playoff push, but that's just like my opinion man.

e: yeah, it's not about money, it's about getting him the hell out of the lineup. Getting rid of Reaves improved the Penguins as much as adding Brassard did, and Reaves was only playing like 8 minutes a game where Orpik is playing 20.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 26, 2018

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think that's because the big trades nowadays often involve a bunch of cap fuckery requiring league review which isn't instantaneous, so teams make sure to give themselves plenty of time before the actual deadline.

e: hot take, the Caps could have beaten the Pens in 2016 and should have beaten them last year, there's no reason it should be a huge shock if they beat them this year. It's gonna happen one of these years.

...right? .....right?

Being the team of destiny clearly hasn't worked.

I think the learned behavior of coming in with no expectations is the right way to go. Team gets bounced in a protracted wet fart? No surprise, we've been here before. And if they win? Well it won't happen, but it would be a cool surprise.

Even last year, I went to Game 7 with zero expectation they were going to win. I was a little disappointed they didn't even compete, but I think I can purge even that kind of hope from my system yet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mind_Taker posted:

It's more that there is no reason to lose a pick and dump Orpik if they won't need the cap space anyways. Sure, if they are for example on the verge of acquiring Erik Karlsson and they need to dump Orpik to fit Karlsson under the cap you give up whatever you need to in order to dump Orpik.

OTOH it might just be worth it to get rid of Orpik so that Trotz can't make any stupid personnel decisions as he's wont to do.

pretty much this. I think Orpik, bad as he is, is still probably better than your AHL callups, and injuries happen. If they were willing to sit him back in that 5/6/7 D spot and move him in and out of the lineup, it's not worth giving anything up to get rid of him unless you need the cap space. But if they can't do that, move him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah Game 7 last year was super weird, right from the opening faceoff the whole Caps team was moping around the ice like "welp, we all know how this is gonna go."

Last year was the Caps' year, man. They'd have won the Cup if they'd have won that game. It's one thing that they lost but it was like they were resigned to their fate. Followed by the loving goddamn Ottawa Senators taking the Penguins all the way to the edge of the cliff.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

...right? .....right?

yeah that year was 1994 and then they immediately lost to the rangers lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah Game 7 last year was super weird, right from the opening faceoff the whole Caps team was moping around the ice like "welp, we all know how this is gonna go."

Last year was the Caps' year, man. They'd have won the Cup if they'd have won that game. It's one thing that they lost but it was like they were resigned to their fate. Followed by the loving goddamn Ottawa Senators taking the Penguins all the way to the edge of the cliff.

Boucher's system was really difficult for the Pens to deal with without Letang. The neutral zone was so god damned clogged up and the Pens had for the most part no dmen who could break that trap. Also Anderson was pretty good and the only goalie in the playoffs that the Pens didn't destroy.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Sportsnet going all in with their trade deadline coverage by visually representing the state of the senators franchise

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

TSN just mentioned that "it's an incredible time to be in Winnipeg" which is a statement that is never truthful

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards/status/968161190701686785

Jussi, we hardly knew ye?

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/968162426590932992

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Vanek has 17 goals and 41 points? gently caress me, thats not bad at all. You’d think there would be more interest

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Vanek has 17 goals and 41 points? gently caress me, thats not bad at all. You’d think there would be more interest

jim benning doesn't do trades for picks. decent chance he's asking for prospects or young roster guys, because he's a dope

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Did anyone say this is the best trade deadline day ever yet?

If not, This is the best trade deadline day ever!!!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

pretty much this. I think Orpik, bad as he is, is still probably better than your AHL callups, and injuries happen. If they were willing to sit him back in that 5/6/7 D spot and move him in and out of the lineup, it's not worth giving anything up to get rid of him unless you need the cap space. But if they can't do that, move him.

Not disagreeing, but in that case they should just fire Trotz and get someone in there who knows how to staple Orpik to the bench.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I'd be incredibly surprised if the Caps somehow ended up with Karlsson, but what's the deal with Bobby Ryan? I haven't been paying much attention. Is it Ottawa that's setting a rule that if you take one you gotta take the other?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
love Edmonton media repeatedly bringing up Matt Hendricks leaving as a UFA being one of the main reasons they suck this year

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Dirty Burger posted:

love Edmonton media repeatedly bringing up Matt Hendricks leaving as a UFA being one of the main reasons they suck this year

Somewhere, in Jersey, Hall laughs.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

z0331 posted:

I'd be incredibly surprised if the Caps somehow ended up with Karlsson, but what's the deal with Bobby Ryan? I haven't been paying much attention. Is it Ottawa that's setting a rule that if you take one you gotta take the other?

Yes. It’s every bit as dumb as it sounds.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

petan is good actually

Petan is good, but he's clearly not in the Jets plans. Roslovic is clearly above him in the depth chart, and with Appleton/Foley/Vesalainen coming up he's expendable. Same with Lemieux. I think they're both with different teams next year, but maybe more likely traded at the draft now. One of them probably was part of the Brassard proposal.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

HootTheOwl posted:

How? He has a NTC until July.

You can ask the player to waive the NTC, which isn't infeasible since you'd think he'd be interested in the postseason. Mark Lazerus reported that the Hawks asked Anisimov if he would do this, but it sounds like the Jackets ultimately did not offer enough (a 3rd rounder and they wanted half his salary retained). But as you note, it probably will be easier for the Hawks to move him during the draft when his NTC becomes modified.

And I kind of hope the Hawks do move on from him over the summer, if not at the deadline. He's been really bad at even strength this year and costs too much money. Still a decent special teams player, but whatever line he's on just dies at even strength.

I am not sure I'm a fan of a potential Hartman trade, especially to a division rival. He's been a disappointment this year, but he's still pretty young and cost-controlled. I guess it depends on the return, but I don't think I'd give up on him quite yet.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LOLOLOLOL

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I just bought tickets to the Sens@Caps Tuesday, so I am now very invested in either the Caps getting Karlsson or Melnyk totally scuttling any bid to move him.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

Dunno man. Oilers have a good season with Hendricks and the Jets have a lovely season... Hendricks goes to the Jets and the Jets have a good season and the Oilers have a lovely season.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jordan7hm posted:

He’s an Ottawa radio guy. He has been for 15 years. He’s probably as plugged in as Yost to this lovely team.

I promised myself I'd consciously unplug until deadline day, and man does my liver feel fantastic

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

And apparently Hartman isn't at practice today, so sounds like he's going to Nashville.

Meanwhile Wingels and Rutta are both here. That's...disappointing. I figured Wingels did enough to at least get a bottom-round pick, and he's a UFA they could easily re-sign over the summer if necessary. I guess there's still a couple hours for something to happen on that front.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/status/968168122153930754

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
anyone got a handy sportsnet stream? Got one for tsn, but would like to grab both for during the commercial breaks

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
This Bobby Ryan package finally made me look Bobby Ryan up for the first time in years and, drat, what happened? It's like he went off a cliff and then the cliff fell onto him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

This Bobby Ryan package finally made me look Bobby Ryan up for the first time in years and, drat, what happened? It's like he went off a cliff and then the cliff fell onto him.

He couldn't really skate to begin with and now he's even older and slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Calgary claimed Chris Stewart off waivers. Flyers claimed Oduya.

e: And Colorado claimed something called a Mark Alt.

• Locked thread