Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Fair enough, yeah. I've spoken to numerous people who believe they "need" a pickup truck or SUV because they buy sheet goods at home depot twice a year, and I like to point out that they can spend $50 a year on renting for that and otherwise get a vehicle that actually suits their needs for the rest of the time.

It usually doesn't work, because usually they actually just want a truck and use their occasional trips to Home Depot as rationalization, but every once in a while it's like a lightbulb going off.

It's why I don't want to replace the Minivan.

4x8 sheet lies flat with liftgate closed. (with driver's seat uncomfortably far forward)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have a truck that I no longer need but it's not worth taking 3k for something that's a reliable backup vehicle. I bought it about 3 years ago to tow a racecar that I never bought, but it has come in handy for those 2-3 home depot trips. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I have a 1992 chevy S-10 that doesn't cost much to insure, so I do have that truck (and when we got it my wife was using it to haul stuff near-weekly so it made sense), there's definitely no problem there. Just... like my sister up in Seattle is a starving artist, disabled, etc. and she spent $17k (on a 78 month loan :negative:) on an SUV because she needs to bring big paintings to conventions a handful of times a year. She can't afford it, she's on an extremely tight budget, and now she's asking me to help her figure out why her budget never works. Hmm hmm maybe it's because you spent three times what you needed to on transportation, little sis?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This is why I own a 350 dollar truck, a 500 dollar truck, an 800 dollar truck, a 1000 dollar truck, and a 2500 dollar truck.

Only the 500 dollar truck runs right now :banjo: but between it and the 800 dollar one, I've only needed a rental from home Depot 3 times in 8 years. First time I was hauling whole pallets of shingles and none of mine would handle it, second all my trucks were dead and I had to bring a water heater home, third time I needed to get a gigantic delicate thousand dollar bay window home.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think you would benefit from a good 10-12k tandem axle trailer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure I need more land and a junkyard permit before I can even think about buying one of those.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

This is why I own a 350 dollar truck, a 500 dollar truck, an 800 dollar truck, a 1000 dollar truck, and a 2500 dollar truck.

Only the 500 dollar truck runs right now :banjo: but between it and the 800 dollar one, I've only needed a rental from home Depot 3 times in 8 years. First time I was hauling whole pallets of shingles and none of mine would handle it, second all my trucks were dead and I had to bring a water heater home, third time I needed to get a gigantic delicate thousand dollar bay window home.

I don't have the space for all that, but believe me, if I did...
Of course, that's because I have a Crown Vic, '70 Cutlass, Kia Spectra5, and two RX-7s (both in the back yard) at home, and a '71 Cutlass parts car and 3 RX-7s at my parents'. Probably should get rid of some of those and substitute "truck" for them. Could finish fixing my dad's '91 Dodge Cummins that I sort of wrecked years ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yakima roof racks are a great way to turn your car into a truck :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yakima roof racks are a great way to turn your car into a truck :)

I can rent the Home Depot truck quite a few times for the $300+ that I'm seeing those go for.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No real pics of note, but we're mudding the master bedroom a little every evening now. I hate mudding because it takes so long to do well, so I was dragging my feet on it. My wife asked me to teach her (and she's going to be better than me in a couple days at this rate...) And it's a lot less boring to do with someone else than it is to do alone.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Drywall sucks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

daslog posted:

Drywall sucks.

Yeah it does. One of the reasons I’ve put off fixing the cracks in the living room. Never mind having to move everything out of the room.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I bought a 96 Tacoma with 80k miles on it last summer and I love the little girl so much even though I could probably get away with using my car for most things, it’s just real nice to have the convenience of throwing a couple board in the bed rather than rearranging my trunk and loving with a complex rope system to keep the trunk shut

On the flip side, I’m now the guy with a truck in Philadelphia so at least once a month I’m helping someone move furniture

On the other flip side, I’ve been getting lots of free beer from that

Tbf, it’s a 4-cyl short cab truck so it’s practically a car anyway

StinkingWolf
Jul 23, 2001
Morally Bankrupt

kastein posted:

My wife asked me to teach her (and she's going to be better than me in a couple days at this rate...)

I did the same thing. She's now much better at it than I am, and I never have to mud again. Win-win.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

No real pics of note, but we're mudding the master bedroom a little every evening now. I hate mudding because it takes so long to do well, so I was dragging my feet on it. My wife asked me to teach her (and she's going to be better than me in a couple days at this rate...) And it's a lot less boring to do with someone else than it is to do alone.

Drywall and roofing are two things you don't admit any skill in... Otherwise everyone and their neighbor ask you to give them a hand, and gently caress that, those are good tasks for someone else.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m here to agree, “gently caress Drywall.”

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

...Bane?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Immortan Yenko, ride with me to Valhalla, all dusty and white.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A few weeks ago, i had to peel some really awful wallpaper in a bathroom, that they glued straight to the unfinished drywall with no underlayment. I used a product to break down the glue, but regardless the wallboard took heavy damage in some spots. Our options were full tear out, or seal and skim coat (almost) the whole room.

A dust-free drywall sanding attachment + a dust collection bag in the shop vac made this project a hell of a lot easier and less messy than I anticipated. If you need to repair damaged drywall this stuff is the poo poo. We had zero bubbling with primer or paint.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

MrYenko posted:

"You merely adopted the particulate. I was born in it; moulded by it. I didn't breathe clean air until I was already a man."

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm just happy that 99% of my house is blueboard and plaster. SO much stronger than drywall (I mean, it's basically concrete on the walls), and just as easily patched if you know what you're doing. And no sanding. It isn't hard to learn to do small stuff, but I leave big stuff to the professionals.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Drywall is one of the few things I refuse to do. I'll gladly pay.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

sharkytm posted:

I'm just happy that 99% of my house is blueboard and plaster. SO much stronger than drywall (I mean, it's basically concrete on the walls), and just as easily patched if you know what you're doing. And no sanding. It isn't hard to learn to do small stuff, but I leave big stuff to the professionals.

This is drywall and a skimcoat of plaster right?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is drywall and a skimcoat of plaster right?

Gypsum, not drywall, I assume. It really is a lot nicer than drywall and a skimcoat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Drywall is made from gypsum...

I'm guessing it's something else. I think my favorite so far is firecode 5/8 drywall, that poo poo is loving strong. It's got fiberglass mixed in and you can tell when you try to cut it... Score and snap still works, but you can score and snap and it'll still support about 2 feet of drywall hanging past the break until you force it down and pull the fibers out of the gypsum board.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Blueboard is high quality drywall panels, just with a special coating on the paper to hold plaster. Skim coat plaster is awesome stuff. It totally bonds to the paper and hardens to be way harder than drywall compound, as it's not designed to ever be sanded. Drywall compound dries soft, so it can be sanded. Plus, unless you do a full skim-coat of compound on drywall, the outer surface is literally paper that you paint. Scuff the wall with a cardboard box in drywall? It'll mar the compound or tear the paper. Scuff a box on a plaster wall, it might scuff the paint, but won't touch the plaster at all. It's similar price to have it done, even though blueboard is more money than drywall, and plaster is more than joint compound. However, the labor is far less time-intensive. It requires a high level of skill, but a good plaster guy can work as fast as a drywall guy, without the need for drying time and multiple coats. And no sanding, so way less mess.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

Drywall is made from gypsum...

I'm guessing it's something else. I think my favorite so far is firecode 5/8 drywall, that poo poo is loving strong. It's got fiberglass mixed in and you can tell when you try to cut it... Score and snap still works, but you can score and snap and it'll still support about 2 feet of drywall hanging past the break until you force it down and pull the fibers out of the gypsum board.

Brainfart. What the guy above me right now said, you know, correctly. Blueboard and plaster is just a lot nicer than drywall and skimcoat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We've been slowly mudding and it's boring and pictures don't really show much. Close to done though.

Last night I dropped by my parents place for dinner and to pick up a free kitchen sink. My mom's boss is having her kitchen remodeled and was going to throw out this 1200 dollar 5 year old cast iron sink, so they rescued it for me. I guess that determines the type of sink we're using :haw:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Ken's Jeeps got spare everything. Yes, including the kitchen sink.

(I'll see myself out)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's a baller rear end huge sink.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Everything about this picture rules.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Larrymer posted:

I've got a sinking feeling you aren't talking about my refined tastes or reputable behavior.

not even a little sorry about that pun, either

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Larrymer posted:

It's missing the theme music from Sanford and Son.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That is pretty accurate. In fact my directions to get to my house normally end with "keep driving until you see Jeeps or hear banjos" or "if you see a yard that looks like Sanford and Sons you're in the right place".

Did the last bit of wiring for the closet lights and started prepping for insulating the closets last night. Hopefully I can get that done and move a bunch of the tools into the closets to make room for working on the first floor soon.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've been dragging my feet on this corner of the living room for a while because I wasn't really sure what I was going to do about how far out of plane some of the studs were. Answer: rear end loads of furring strips!

The small wall with the horizontal furring strips doesn't really need them, but one of the studs was all hosed up and it goes 4 feet above the floor level so I didn't feel like screwing with it. I should have replaced it with the one next to it before putting the new master bedroom joists in. Oh well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No pics till morning (I'll edit them in if I remember) but the vapor barrier is almost done in the living room. I'm gonna try and get the wood for the front door frame routed in the next couple weeks as the weather has turned and it's nearly the time of year when I can have holes in the exterior walls without freezing to death.

Also I was looking for an excuse to buy some feathers and wedges for splitting rocks and then got the snowblower stuck on a ledge of rock in our private road, so I bought them and the right size drill bit for my rotary hammer. It works quite well, the rock is gone now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just realized you started this thread in 2012, lol. Someday your House of Theseus will be complete! How's that looking, do you think? Seems like you're at the point where maybe you're done with framing, pretty much?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Even worse, I started working on the place... November first of 2010.

I thought I would have it done for Christmas 2011. This is why I am not a project manager.

I have one more room to gut and one and a half rooms to wire, then it's all insulation and finishing. And new windows. And siding. And...

We are visiting the Washington property we bought this week along with some friends of my wife's and a few national parks in the area. I can't wait to plan a build that doesn't involve living in a house while trying to demolish and build it at the same time. That's what I actually wanted to do, but I wasn't in the right spot financially to pull it off yet then.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Even worse, I started working on the place... November first of 2010.

I thought I would have it done for Christmas 2011. This is why I am not a project manager.

To be fair, your scope creeped quite a bit due to issues discovered along the way. Hard to plan for stuff you didn’t know was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, your scope creeped quite a bit due to issues discovered along the way. Hard to plan for stuff you didn’t know was there.

More like scope Jeep.