Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Besides which, I'm pretty sure when they're calling the lead designers "bastard" and "cunning" they mean in endearingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone played Detention, that 2D horror game set in 1960s Taiwan

It's out on PS4 this week in Europe apparently and looks neat to me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mordja posted:

Besides which, I'm pretty sure when they're calling the lead designers "bastard" and "cunning" they mean in endearingly.
if anything its a signature

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

I picked up Bayo 2 and the new wolfenstein (gamestop had it for 30 bucks, why not?) over the weekend. Wolf looks great in 4k, having fun with that one.

Any tips for a new bayonetta player? Should I download the first one and play through it before I play the second one?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Help Im Alive posted:

Has anyone played Detention, that 2D horror game set in 1960s Taiwan

It's out on PS4 this week in Europe apparently and looks neat to me

Don't have much to say without spoiling but it's really good

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Butter Hole posted:

Any tips for a new bayonetta player? Should I download the first one and play through it before I play the second one?

If you're ever planning on playing the first one you may as well do it first since that introduces all the characters.

If you hold down an attack button as you dodge it will let you continue the combo after the dodge finishes, which is called Dodge Offsetting. It's actually really important to train yourself to do this because the powerful hits of combos are really the last hits, so if you're not doing that you're just restarting a combo every time you dodge and never getting to the end.

Don't worry if you get bronze or stone awards every time because a bunch of fights are hidden unless you backtrack or explore everywhere, and every hidden fight you miss will tank your score.

Yes, the autoscrolling sections are loving terrible.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Butter Hole posted:

I picked up Bayo 2 and the new wolfenstein (gamestop had it for 30 bucks, why not?) over the weekend. Wolf looks great in 4k, having fun with that one.

Bayonetta 2 is a bit friendlier to new players, but it will spoil a twist in the first game. The first game isn't really that much rougher, but it has some tougher enemies earlier on and annoying qtes that kill you if you fail.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Gimme your opinions on Echoes. I skipped it but my brother played it and seemed to like the gameplay. He just hates Celica and insists that she is awfully written.

Ian Sinclair does a fantastic job as one of the villains

https://instaud.io/1Nog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQka4wv6BLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XinIZmfKhwQ

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MMF Freeway posted:

Lol that dude loving sucks.

Bastard Yong
Cunning Yea

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

All the voice acting in Echoes is really good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the translation and dub of echoes are insanely good (the writing and voice acting in japanese were also pretty good, the VAing especially - it's telling that Berkut had the best VA in both the original audio and the dub) and I hope they stick to thsoe standards for FE switch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Heroes has an extremely impressive dub too so it seems like whatever processes enabled it in Echoes are still around

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know anyone saying it was a renegade employee sticking it to the man except that one youtube video, it's just not something I'd expect to make it into a game by a company that publicly shamed people over the intercom. Developers have been fired for dumber easter eggs.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hell yeah

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/26/hal-laboratorys-part-time-ufo-localized/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

I don't know anyone saying it was a renegade employee sticking it to the man except that one youtube video, it's just not something I'd expect to make it into a game by a company that publicly shamed people over the intercom. Developers have been fired for dumber easter eggs.
I definitely saw that take spreading on twitter, it was real dumb

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

the translation and dub of echoes are insanely good (the writing and voice acting in japanese were also pretty good, the VAing especially - it's telling that Berkut had the best VA in both the original audio and the dub) and I hope they stick to thsoe standards for FE switch.

Now you've doomed us to another Warriors dub.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

for a moment i only saw the end of the url and it made me hope ufo: a day in the life had finally gotten translated

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I got this this morning and it's really cool, lots of variety in the missions. Definitely packs a lot more content than your average phone game, it wouldn't feel out of place as a downloadable 3DS eShop game or something. Also the music is incredibly catchy

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
Dishonored is really good if you missed it, I know I sure as hell did

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

These are some good line readings. I don't know the context, but I still feel sorry for the dude.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i got curious about whether the lunatic dawn developers were still alive so i checked and it turns out that inbetween making sao video games they also released a game about exploring on a loving trading ship and mapping out the world in 1469 last year and like nine people bought it

http://store.steampowered.com/app/532690/Neo_ATLAS_1469/

i'm glad this insanely janky jp pc game developer has withstood the years and continues to make insanely specifically weird stuff that like five people will ever play while surviving off of developing tie-in games for bamco

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 26, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Everything on that screen appeals to me. Is it good though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that looks insanely like a new uncharted waters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i got curious about whether the lunatic dawn developers were still alive so i checked and it turns out that inbetween making sao video games they also released a game about exploring on a loving trading ship and mapping out the world in 1469 last year and like nine people bought it

http://store.steampowered.com/app/532690/Neo_ATLAS_1469/

i'm glad this insanely janky jp pc game developer has withstood the years and continues to make insanely specifically weird stuff that like five people will ever play while surviving off of developing tie-in games for bamco

is this king of dragon pass but in the real 15th century instead of the fantasy bronze age

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

These are some good line readings. I don't know the context, but I still feel sorry for the dude.

Don't feel bad for Berkut, he is a failson

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

is this king of dragon pass but in the real 15th century instead of the fantasy bronze age

No, it's more like Pirates except the focus is exploring a map instead of being the most badass dude. It's the latest in a long running series because Artdink pumps out games faster than any other company I've seen.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
Whatever happened to the Brigador devs who made the TACTICAL FRENCH REVOLUTION PRIVATEER JRPG that got ran off the forums

e: it isn't Brigador that's the cool & good mech game that is worth $15

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've been binge watching some National Geographic videos and I keep finding ones using music lifted from the Sims 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4hb84A9h28

Is this allowed???

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

HELLBITCH posted:

Whatever happened to the Brigador devs who made the TACTICAL FRENCH REVOLUTION PRIVATEER JRPG that got ran off the forums

Thermidor, though I got those names mixed up frequently too

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been binge watching some National Geographic videos and I keep finding ones using music lifted from the Sims 3.

Is this allowed???

they either sold off the songs for cash or they were from a generic music library in the first place. Stuff from Saints Row pops up in commercials all the time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Internet Kraken posted:

Is this allowed???

it happens a lot apparently

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I do know The Sims as a series has a long history of freelancers for the radio soundtrack. It's likely National Geographic licensed the songs from the individual artists.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HELLBITCH posted:

This is drat near libel, the guys who made Brigador have absolutely nothing to do with Thermidor.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

It's more of a weird cartography simulator with some cyoa stuff

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

It's more of a weird cartography simulator with some cyoa stuff

Ah, a Paradox game then

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I somehow found myself sucked into listening to Katamari soundtracks on Youtube and realized I've never played Katamari Forever, because I never owned a PS3. Is that one any good? Is PS3 emulation good enough yet that I could play it on my PC if I manage to find a copy?

Mother 3 chat last page also reminded me that I need to finally get around to continuing Mother 3 from the last time I played it like a decade ago. Maybe once I finish Dragon Quest 6.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's on PS Now, so you can play it on your pc regardless. Sort of.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

raditts posted:

Is PS3 emulation good enough yet that I could play it on my PC if I manage to find a copy?

not just yet unless system requirements have significantly lowered in the last year or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU4XaDXfjiU

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 27, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

loquacius posted:

Ah, a Paradox game then

No. I mean you send your admirals out and they report their findings which you add to your big world map. The goal is to find an oceanic route to China. Sometimes an event happens or you do some sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Butter Hole posted:

Buy the Bat Within technique as soon as possible. Dodging attacks at the last second gives you Witch Time, a slo-mo period to do big damage with impunity. Bat Within expands that dodge window to include the instant you get hit and is crazy helpful

Also it's up to you if you wanna save up the money for it, but the best accessory is the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa. It lets you guard/counter attacks with good/perfect timing independent of your dodges, and inspired the parry mechanic from Metal Gear Rising

• Locked thread