Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Imgur pitched my company and used an example of a campaign they did for eBay as a success. In the list of “positive engagements” was the phrase “I buy all my dildos on eBay” which is a phrase that now haunts my waking life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

May not want to mention that, least someone buy it as a red text for you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Detective No. 27 posted:

Didn't Reddit switch to their own image hosting a few years ago? That's why Imgur has tried to cultivate their own lovely community and made everything so much worse.

Now if only something would kill off Giphy. It's such a pain in the dick to send friends gifs now because of them.

Imgur is still used a ton on reddit.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Barudak posted:

Reddit has a full site overhaul that launches end of Q2, is where the talk of site changes is coming from. The new layout is basically instagram and the comments nested below a comment are now teeny toggle buttons on each comment.

Also theupdate will kill imgur so say your farewells to imgur

I'll have to update my bookmarklet. It clicks "load comments" every 2 seconds because those are new ajax calls, but if all the stuff is loaded on the page (and hidden) then it'll be trivial to force-show everything.

For normal users? Yeah that will kill the site

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Reddit also does that stupid thing where it presents a crippled version of the site if you use a mobile browser, while bugging you to download their app on literally every page. That has to be one of the worst web design trends out there, especially when the desktop site looks fine on my 9" tablet while the app/mobile site is poo poo because it is designed for phones with a 4" screen.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

Imgur is still used a ton on reddit.

Photobucket broke at least a million posts on various web forums when they decided to block image charing from free accounts. Stuff posted years ago suddenly has the dreaded Photobucket 'upgrade or else' notice.

How'd that work out for them>=?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's why Imgur has tried to cultivate their own lovely communit

*cough*imgurians*cough*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Konstantin posted:

Reddit also does that stupid thing where it presents a crippled version of the site if you use a mobile browser, while bugging you to download their app on literally every page. That has to be one of the worst web design trends out there, especially when the desktop site looks fine on my 9" tablet while the app/mobile site is poo poo because it is designed for phones with a 4" screen.

Good news, that app is what the new design is based on so get ready to enjoy that on your desktop

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Konstantin posted:

Don’t forget that the new official Reddit app they’re bugging you to download has the same crippled interface as the mobile site because it’s just a loving wrapper around their HTML/JavaScript bullshit, and they discontinued the decent native official apps in favor of that “sweet solution.”

Delenda est JavaScript.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

eschaton posted:

Don’t forget that the new official Reddit app they’re bugging you to download has the same crippled interface as the mobile site because it’s just a loving wrapper around their HTML/JavaScript bullshit, and they discontinued the decent native official apps in favor of that “sweet solution.”

Delenda est JavaScript.

Shoot all UI designers except one. Any one.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

But how will you get promoted if you don't lead a UI+UX redesign?! Think of the six figgie Artists!!! Do you expect them to toil on wireframes and redlines forever? That's Junior-level shitwork

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wish these companies would learn if it aint broke don't fix it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

wish these companies would learn if it aint broke don't fix it.

But how would they manage to stay an innovative company that's always ahead of the curve in implementing novel features and attracting investors???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is probably an unanswerable question but i've been curious if snapchat kid woulda made more actual money if he just sold for the 4 bil he was offered.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is probably an unanswerable question but i've been curious if snapchat kid woulda made more actual money if he just sold for the 4 bil he was offered.

Yeah if I made a product I would immediately sell for any offer over a bil no matter how much I like owning it. Probably also way lower prices in reality.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Reddit sucks and there is like 50 things wrong with it.

Just two main ones, really:
- the userbase
- the ability for users to comment

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

suck my woke dick posted:

Yeah if I made a product I would immediately sell for any offer over a bil no matter how much I like owning it. Probably also way lower prices in reality.

Everybody thinks they’re Steve Jobs but nobody thinks through whether they’re actually building a platform for the long term or just a service.

Services can be worth a lot but platforms are where the real money is. And photo sharing is not a loving platform.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I seriously cannot understand the arrogance needed to turn down multiple billions for something like Snapchat. How many senators could you buy with that kind of money?

Even if you’re bored, you could easily negotiate a job with the new company or something. Christ.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Solkanar512 posted:

I seriously cannot understand the arrogance needed to turn down multiple billions for something like Snapchat. How many senators could you buy with that kind of money?

Even if you’re bored, you could easily negotiate a job with the new company or something. Christ.

This is basically the premise of HBO's "Silicon Valley". The longer that show goes on, the clearer it gets that they should have taken the money and run.

Of course, Notch *did* take the money and run, and he's rapidly turning into iHoward Hughes...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

Everybody thinks they’re Steve Jobs but nobody thinks through whether they’re actually building a platform for the long term or just a service.

Everybody thinks they're Steve Jobs but they forget he was mostly a failure and he died in incredible agony because he refused to take normal steps to handle a problem before it became unfixable.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back in time, invent Groupon, and take the silly buyout money from whoever (Google?)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Solkanar512 posted:

You're probably also not a sociopath CEO type who'd cut out a founder and trash their name on the way out, nor would you work folks who share your passion to the bone.

Like, y'all think the two things might be correlated? Spiegel was always a legacy brat who's never been hungry. There's nothing left but running up the score.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back in time, invent Groupon, and take the silly buyout money from whoever (Google?)
6 billion earth dollars.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Snapchat has been, what, the fourth biggest social media platform in the states. Advertisers don’t want three companies to monopolize the online advertising space and have spoken about working more with the lower-ranked players. There’s definitely room in this market for Snapchat and it’s not really that reckless or dumb to hold onto it longer.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Has this thread brought up dual-class stock? All the cool kids are doing it and will get their IPO payout without giving up any voting power. Executives will *never* lose voting power, not to a Warren Buffet and especially not to some teeming hoard of commoner public investors. As long as VC's have nowhere to invest money at a high return rate, this is going to be the norm. Dropbox is all aboard.

The S&P 500 is making a point of not supporting it:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-snap-s-p/sp-500-to-exclude-snap-after-voting-rights-debate-idUSKBN1AH2RV

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vegetable posted:

Snapchat has been, what, the fourth biggest social media platform in the states. Advertisers don’t want three companies to monopolize the online advertising space and have spoken about working more with the lower-ranked players. There’s definitely room in this market for Snapchat and it’s not really that reckless or dumb to hold onto it longer.

But it's also advertising that is way more restrictive than advertising in say, Facebook or on Twitter. Plus 4th place doesn't mean much - that doesn't get you a medal. You're much more likely to get muscled out by something new, or by any rise in the fortunes of the other people in the top 10/15.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Seriously. Selling for $20 million (net) and getting even 4% annual return on that gives you $800k. Even if you had to pay half of the gains in taxes -- and you sure as poo poo wouldn't because the GOP's got your back, Job Creator -- you're left with $400k of spending cash each year. That's ludicrous money by most standards.

Granted, the temptation would be to spend the $20 million on hookers and blow ridiculous house filled with candy dispensers, so maybe that's why some founders hold out for multi-multi-billion acquisitions? Just to have something left over after Rehab Stint #6.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Re: Huge Corps and their advertising on soshul meeja: Every year there's at least one story about [AcmeHugeCorp] pulling their advertising from TwitBookPlus in a huff, usually a variation of "we noticed we were being cheated by bots" given as a reason.

My question is, have any of these companies ever come crawling back all "our user engagement!!!!!"?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Konstantin posted:

They recently did this thing where they deliberately slow-buffered the loving comments section and prompted you to download the app while it was "loading". :airquote: This disappeared really fast and I haven't seen it since, but whomever decided that was a good idea should probably be taken out back and shot so they can't pollute the gene pool.

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 27, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fishmech posted:

Everybody thinks they're Steve Jobs but they forget he was mostly a failure and he died in incredible agony because he refused to take normal steps to handle a problem before it became unfixable.

To be fair, pancreatic cancer is probably the worst kind of cancer anyone can get.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Star Man posted:

To be fair, pancreatic cancer is probably the worst kind of cancer anyone can get.

His kind was also among the most treatable. As long as you go and get real treatment done when it's first detected, instead of wasting a year or so on magic fruit. Even if he was one of the rare people that real treatment won't take care of it in, you still end up with a much less painful last few years of your life.

And of course the hell of it all is that he bumped some people out of line for a transplant on a few organs on his way to grave because his riches let him buy homes in multiple places to be on multiple transplant lists.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not saying that naturopathy was the way to go either, but Jobs was probably going to die of that specific cancer no matter what.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my favorite steve jobs anecdote is how he always used to park in the handicap spots and some french CEO (vivendi, i think) who observed this said loudly "i didn't know those spots were for emotional cripples too" and jobs got super pissed

e: this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Louis_Gass%C3%A9e

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

boner confessor posted:

my favorite steve jobs anecdote is how he always used to park in the handicap spots and some french CEO (vivendi, i think) who observed this said loudly "i didn't know those spots were for emotional cripples too" and jobs got super pissed

Holy poo poo fuckin' :iceburn:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Star Man posted:

I'm not saying that naturopathy was the way to go either, but Jobs was probably going to die of that specific cancer no matter what.

Incorrect. It's extremely easy to treat and it would be likely he would stay in remission for decades after. But again it requires that once you notice it early, you must also act on it early. Like many things you must make decisions about in life.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

fishmech posted:

Incorrect. It's extremely easy to treat and it would be likely he would stay in remission for decades after. But again it requires that once you notice it early, you must also act on it early. Like many things you must make decisions about in life.

Actual Jobs argument: b-b-but that requires you to let other people, like, rape your body (your own body!) by cutting it open with scalpels and poo poo :qqsay:

boner confessor posted:

Harsh but true.

:discourse:.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Analytic Engine posted:

Has this thread brought up dual-class stock? All the cool kids are doing it and will get their IPO payout without giving up any voting power. Executives will *never* lose voting power, not to a Warren Buffet and especially not to some teeming hoard of commoner public investors. As long as VC's have nowhere to invest money at a high return rate, this is going to be the norm. Dropbox is all aboard.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-snap-s-p/sp-500-to-exclude-snap-after-voting-rights-debate-idUSKBN1AH2RV

And to make things worse, in some arrangements the controller can hold basically no equity in the company, so while they are running it into the ground they see no personal losses. Typically the one-share-one-vote system means that you have skin in the game—the more of the company you control, the more you stand to gain or lose from your voting decisions (at least as far as stock performance is concerned).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

this was the next one i was gonna bring up. so loving dumb lol

also steve jobs is alive today if he went to a doctor.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Analytic Engine posted:

I'm surprised that it took non-finance people this long to catch on how popular this has become. A lot of post-2000 companies are essentially undemocratic feudal empires with kings and nobility. Even if you bought up literally every stock on the open market you could never wrestle control of companies like Google and Facebook from the founders because their shares have several times or even magnitudes as many votes as yours and they're not for sale. The private sector has been growing increasingly more feudal at the same time as the public sector has been getting more market controlled, it is a bit of a joke.

On the Swedish stock market this was the norm decades before it was cool. Best current example is H&M which is being ran into the ground by its incompetent crown prince as the market watches on in horror. :sweden:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 27, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am sure this isn't any sort of perfect solution that fixes anything forever but twitter actually made an move to slow down bots:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-twitter-bots/twitter-bars-tactics-used-by-bots-to-spread-false-stories-idUSKCN1G52R1

Like, there are a thousand ways to get around this trivially. But until now twitter just wasn't even trying to stop open bot activity. So it's something at least

As trivial as it may be to work around, the only operators bad enough at it to get caught is ShareBlue:
https://twitter.com/likingonline/status/968331807887372288
https://shareblueastroturf.netlify.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Solkanar512 posted:

"Well, this company is offering me 45 Million for [i don't know, a photo service strictly for foodie porn poo poo you take at hipster cafes]... but if I hold out for 2 more years + 1 quarter of a dangled IPO, perhaps I can make 70 BILLION DOLLARS U.S. and 50 BITTCOIN!"

I do wonder what Jobs would have eeked out had he survived. Would he have gotten bored of iPhone and shifted to some other moonshot (he wanted to "fix" tv for the longest). Would he have turbo poo poo-talked Musk and the Tesla for stealing his technovisionary spotlight. Or would he have jumped on IoT to position the Apple walled garden as the center of the home.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 27, 2018